• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Well Your not telling me anything I don’t already know ,  so instead of rehashing the same old bs over and over and over again let’s end this song and dance , I’m not here to make fans as you put it 

you enjoy the last 3 games of the season and I’ll be glad when it’s all over

Let's both enjoy the games and both be glad when it's over and both be overjoyed/disappointed when we do/don't get one of the top two picks.

Meanwhile, in Buffalo...

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/3/31/18289969/recap-buffalo-sabres-lost-again-columbus-blue-jackets#505892105

8 Years, no Playoffs

Two second overalls, one first overall… and counting. We are totally Edmonton 2.0.

Back when people warned against getting stuck in a cycle of losing, this is what they were talking about. Oh, I still think talent wins out and some good draft picks and some smart moves will see us in good shape quickly. But yeah… it sucks right now.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/3/31/18289969/recap-buffalo-sabres-lost-again-columbus-blue-jackets#505896634

I don't think he missed the point.

If I may be so bold as to state what I got from Kal’s post it’s that implying that we have to have analogous lotto luck to Edmonton to have the same stink as that franchise is not the nit to pick. Both teams are abysmal, both teams are rudderless, and both teams are perennial losers with little to no hope of redemption because they won’t stop f**king themselves in the process with some level of stupid in the organization (Whether it be trash GMs, dumb trades, or terrible head coaches). At least the Oilers have sniffed around 50 wins (47) in the last two years. The last time the Sabres strung together 47 wins (minimum)? 2006-2007. Honorable mention for 2009-2010 (45 wins).

At this point we need to not pretend like we’re demonstrably all that different. The Oilers and the Sabres are both loser organizations and jokes in this league.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/3/31/18289969/recap-buffalo-sabres-lost-again-columbus-blue-jackets#505896950

+1

Absolutely this. It’s not winning the lottery that makes you Edmonton 2.0, it’s being a lottery team for nearly a decade straight.

Now I still largely agree with Ogre… look at Pittsburgh & Chicago… they drafted high, made smart moves, and it did come together for them.

But did a "culture of losing" set Buffalo back? I actually think so. I think ROR did get traded due to the "culture of losing," whether it was the Pegula’s, Botts’, or ROR’s fault is immaterial. And that trade set the Sabres back. So yeah, I think there’s actually a bit of truth on both sides.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/3/31/18289969/recap-buffalo-sabres-lost-again-columbus-blue-jackets#505897372

Just read Robin Lehner's comments on that cultural thing

on the Athletic (Down Goes Brown). Kind of emphasizes the truth to your point where he talks about the pessimism and how miserable it is in that building. The author mentions that the fans have every right to be that furious and that it emphasizes the risk of a rock bottom rebuild.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/3/31/18289969/recap-buffalo-sabres-lost-again-columbus-blue-jackets#505915126

A month ago I was all for patience and thought puck luck, etc. were part of the issue... but the way this team quit down the stretch is unforgivable.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/3/31/18289969/recap-buffalo-sabres-lost-again-columbus-blue-jackets#505890103

How do market this s*** next year

Come and watch the quitters of the NHL. Collect your checks and laugh all the way to the banks. A bunch of losers.

Edited by Dabura

Lol

I thought @F.Michael had a great analogy yesterday. To paraphrase him, "When you eat urinal cakes, you don't learn to hate urinal cakes, you get used to the taste of urinal cakes"

A winning team expects to win when they take the ice. That's absolutely the culture and vibe we need to rekindle in that lockerroom. It's great to see the kids doing it without the vets.

For all those who hate veteran contracts and stop gaps this should be very encouraging for you right now. These kids are proving they don't need Daley's and Nielsen's to get the job done. Believe you me, management is watching this too.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Lol

I thought @F.Michael had a great analogy yesterday. To paraphrase him, "When you eat urinal cakes, you don't learn to hate urinal cakes, you get used to the taste of urinal cakes"

A winning team expects to win when they take the ice. That's absolutely the culture and vibe we need to rekindle in that lockerroom. It's great to see the kids doing it without the vets.

For all those who hate veteran contracts and stop gaps this should be very encouraging for you right now. These kids are proving they don't need Daley's and Nielsen's to get the job done. Believe you me, management is watching this too.

We been saying this is what needed to be done since last year this shouldn’t come as any surprise to anyone that they’d be better off without s***stains ericsson,Daley,nielsen,vanek 

Don’t worry as arnold would say ... they’ll be back

16 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

3-2 nj ... these useless wings wins just keep getting better 

It still haunts me , I get visions 

it’s garbage 

8 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

We been saying this is what needed to be done since last year this shouldn’t come as any surprise to anyone that they’d be better off without s***stains ericsson,Daley,nielsen,vanek 

Don’t worry as arnold would say ... they’ll be back

Steven no one gives a s*** about soccer or whatever your *** sport you're watching. Get it together. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

True, but now I'm at home, still chicken??

PS this season of big brother Canada is off the hook good, no?

My man, I'll see ya in there

On second thought, I may have to disappoint you.  I'm considering jumping off the tank and cheering the team on with everyone else.

Actually, the thought of passing the Rangers and falling to 8th just occurred to me so nvm.  And no this wasn't intended to be an April's joke

And now I'm mentally flip flopping

Edited by TLGTrico

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Lol

Praying the bolded is correct ....

Looks like that win against NJ and subsequent streak was a bad thing for odds good thing for attitude of kids

...oh well might as well start looking for a chicken to sacrifice on April 9 to aid Wings lottery luck. 

10 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

On second thought, I may have to disappoint you.  I'm considering jumping off the tank and cheering the team on with everyone else.

Actually, the thought of passing the Rangers and falling to 8th just occurred to me so nvm.  And no this wasn't intended to be an April's joke

And now I'm mentally flip flopping

Think of it this way: would you rather that the young players who will be taking over the mantle in the next year or two be showing no signs that they can actually deliver?

If things really were that dire-- if we were so utterly devoid of talent and spark, however inconsistent-- then drafting first vs. fifth was never going to make the difference in turning this team around. At least this way you have a budding framework that you can build around and coherently plan on dropping some good draft talent into. 

Ok. So I've done a 180 on this. Looking at it calmly, obviously wanting the #1 or best odds to get it, but honestly  finishing 6th and winning it, rather than last and losing it, sounds good. Since the odds are so stacked against teams anyhow. There are a lot of great players in the top 10, we will get an impact player for sure.

Plus I am so happy to see this team winning on the backs of our kids. It'd almost be better to draft in a slot where we can pick a player based on need rather than having to pick a player because he is projected top 2. Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to win Hughes or Kakko though, and hope we can, but we'll get better next year no matter what.

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Ok. So I've done a 180 on this. Looking at it calmly, obviously wanting the #1 or best odds to get it, but honestly  finishing 6th and winning it, rather than last and losing it, sounds good. Since the odds are so stacked against teams anyhow. There are a lot of great players in the top 10, we will get an impact player for sure.

Plus I am so happy to see this team winning on the backs of our kids. It'd almost be better to draft in a slot where we can pick a player based on need rather than having to pick a player because he is projected top 2. Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to win Hughes or Kakko though, and hope we can, but we'll get better next year no matter what.

This. Right. Here. Completely agree Lefty.

Seems so simple. Logical to most. Unfortunately, common sense and logic is lost on some...

27 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I would be stoked if we got Cozens.  He could end up being great on the Wings.  Lots of speed and RIGHT HANDED. 

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi

Athanasiou-Cozens-Zadina

Hirose-Veleno-Rasmussen

One more top 10 right hander next year,  and we will have a top 9 thats off the chart.  SPEED.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I would be stoked if we got Cozens.  He could end up being great on the Wings.  Lots of speed and RIGHT HANDED. 

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi

Athanasiou-Cozens-Zadina

Hirose-Veleno-Rasmussen

One more top 10 right hander next year,  and we will have a top 9 thats off the chart.  SPEED.

Do like the idea of adding Cozens but I'm starting to lean toward defense in the first round.. obviously it depends on where we land/which players potentially fall to us, but I really like the look of our young forwards both on the team, and pushing to make it soon. We really need difference makers on defense though, and this is probably going to be our best shot to land one. The idea of Bowen Byram in the first is really starting to grow on me. He's having a.... Giant... season in the WHL, and is still only 17.

21 minutes ago, amato said:

Do like the idea of adding Cozens but I'm starting to lean toward defense in the first round.. obviously it depends on where we land/which players potentially fall to us, but I really like the look of our young forwards both on the team, and pushing to make it soon. We really need difference makers on defense though, and this is probably going to be our best shot to land one. The idea of Bowen Byram in the first is really starting to grow on me. He's having a.... Giant... season in the WHL, and is still only 17.

If we don’t win the lottery we have to finally have to start addressing our d problem with byram/broberg/soderstrom , unless we can make a trade for fox or some other d prospect

Edited by nyqvististhefuture