• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

37 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Where does Dach fit in? From what little I know, and reading scouting reports he's likely to get drafted before Zegras.

That entirely depends on who's doing the ranking.  I've seen Zegras as high as top five, and Dach as low as 12-15 and vice versa.  Generally though Zegras has trended up while Dach has trended down, and Chicago places a premium on skill and not so much size.  Total speculation that they'll pick him, but it's logical speculation at least.  At any rate I think all of Zegras, Cozens, and Turcotte go before Dach, so I think he goes somewhere in the 7-10 range.  I really like him and think he's going to be a very good player.  He's almost identical to Gabe Vilardi in his draft year. Similar production, similar strengths and weaknesses, and similar upside.  In a vacuum I would really like to have him in Detroit, I just think that if things play out like I discussed above you've got two better options in Byram or Turcotte. Byram because we need the defense, and Turcotte because he's like Larkin but with more offense (Brayden Point) and I think the organization has been skewing heavily toward speed as a team identity. 

If we take Byram we're in a pretty good spot defensively, but we're a little weak offensively.  If we take Turcotte we're way better offensively (in addition to him we can move AA back to wing).  Plus imagine having to face Larkin, Turcotte, Veleno, and Glendening down the middle. That's a meat grinder.  Trouble is we'd have to go shopping in FA for defense.  The good news on that front is that Trouba is an FA next year and he fits our group age wise.  So I think I'm leaning toward Turcotte and crossing my fingers Trouba wants to play at home. 

Bert-Larkin-Mantha

Ras-Turcotte-Zadina

Berggren-Veleno-AA

Svech-Glendening-Abby

Neilsen

Cholo-Trouba

McIsaac-Hronek

DK-Lindstrom

Edited by kipwinger

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I don't see Podkolzin going 3rd.  Chicago is pretty set on the wing but they're fairly weak down the middle in terms of their top end prospects.  Have to think they'd want a center.  Colorado is another team that's organizationally weak down the middle and stronger on defense and the wings.  If anybody is going to take Podkolzin before Detroit drafts it will likely be Los Angeles.  Three of their top four prospects (according to Pronman) are centers so they're good on that.  They're not great on defense, so taking Byram at 5th would be a fine move, but you have to think that if the consensus 3rd overall falls to 5th they'd scoop him up.

So here's how I see it playing out:

NJ: Hughes

NYR: Kakko

CHI: Zegras or Cozens

COL: Cozens or Zegras

LA: Podkolzin

DET: Byram or Turcotte

Does LA really want to mess with another Russian?  

11 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Does LA really want to mess with another Russian?  

Haha, I literally thought the same thing.  Although in the Kovalchuk situation I think it's more the coach than him.  Everyone knew what they were getting when they signed a 35 year old sniper who's never been known for his systems play.  Or they should have anyway.

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Haha, I literally thought the same thing.  Although in the Kovalchuk situation I think it's more the coach than him.  Everyone knew what they were getting when they signed a 35 year old sniper who's never been known for his systems play.  Or they should have anyway.

Things didn't exactly go smoothly with Voynov either.. 

Thought i highly doubt either of these influence them drafting another russian born player whatsoever. 

Edited by amato
double quoted for some reason

Mock draft: Three players in running to be picked after Hughes, Kakko [NHL.com]

6. Detroit Red Wings

Kimelman -- Byram: The Red Wings have been looking to get younger on defense and choosing the best defenseman in this year's draft is a good place to start. A left-handed shot, Byram is an outstanding skater and an offensive threat every time he's on the ice. He also uses that great speed to break up plays in the defensive zone.

Morreale -- Alex Turcotte, C, USA U-18 (NTDP): Turcotte (5-11, 185) missed 22 games with a lower-body injury but the 18-year-old still was fifth on the NTDP U-18 team with 53 points (23 goals, 30 assists) in 30 games. The University of Wisconsin commit plays a disciplined game, makes plays at top speed, has good hands, grit, and can move the puck effectively.

Lepage -- Turcotte: The left-shot center was a big offensive producer for the NTDP after being sidelined early in the season. He projects as a good center for Filip Zadina, the No. 6 pick of the 2018 NHL Draft.

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

I feel like people are kinda sleeping on Turcotte.

I know I have been all season. I think, in part, it's because he was injured for so much of the season and there are just so many other guys coming out of that team to keep track of.  I certainly won't be upset if we end up taking him.  Imagine trying to play against Larkin, Turcotte, and Veleno shift after shift.  Better get your cardio in. 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I know I have been all season. I think, in part, it's because he was injured for so much of the season and there are just so many other guys coming out of that team to keep track of.  I certainly won't be upset if we end up taking him.  Imagine trying to play against Larkin, Turcotte, and Veleno shift after shift.  Better get your cardio in. 

Could Larkin, Turcotte, Veleno possibly be our equivalent of Crosby, Malkin, Staal? 

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Me before he'd returned from injury: "I mean, I like his game a lot, but do we really need another 'speedy, left-shooting, high-energy, high-intensity, high-character two-way centerman who probably doesn't project as a scoring dynamo but probably does have a relatively high floor by virtue of his elite skating and pro-level approach to the game'?"

Me on 4/10/2019: "Left-shot Brayden Point is bae."

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

(Cozens.)

I'll take it!

7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

No Chance Dach goes before Cozens.

I'm much higher on Cozens than Dach, but I wouldn't be that surprised if there are teams that would take Dach over Cozens. To be honest, this draft could go any number of ways. I bet there will be a player most people would consider a lock to go top 5, slip out of the top 10...

21 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

That's gotta be uncomfortable...Having all those people laying on you like that :hehe:

Sounds like a real team player. We should give the kid a shot..

That would also help with the discomfort. 

11 hours ago, Dabura said:

Me before he'd returned from injury: "I mean, I like his game a lot, but do we really need another 'speedy, left-shooting, high-energy, high-intensity, high-character two-way centerman who probably doesn't project as a scoring dynamo but probably does have a relatively high floor by virtue of his elite skating and pro-level approach to the game'?"

Me on 4/10/2019: "Left-shot Brayden Point is bae."

I've also seen him compared to Ryan O'Reilly, and him a HUGE fan of his. 

15 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

1. No Chance Dach goes before Cozens.

2. Would be ultra surprised if Broberg doesnt go top 10.  With the exception of Brendan Smith, you can teach defense.  You cant teach speed.  Broberg has wheels, and he's big.

Dach is that guy for me.  If skating is mediocre, everything else has to be stellar.  His intensity and positioning are just not on that high level to warrant a top 10 pick for me.  Too much of a project.  Cozens has the wheels and edge work that will make him at bare minimum top 9 worthy from day 1.  I dont see Dach cracking our line up till 2021-22 season.

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Dach is that guy for me.  If skating is mediocre, everything else has to be stellar.  His intensity and positioning are just not on that high level to warrant a top 10 pick for me.  Too much of a project.  Cozens has the wheels and edge work that will make him at bare minimum top 9 worthy from day 1.  I dont see Dach cracking our line up till 2021-22 season.

I think both would crack the lineup in the 2020-21 season, but that doesn't really matter much to me. I just see Cozens as the better all around player with the higher ceiling.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I think both would crack the lineup in the 2020-21 season, but that doesn't really matter much to me. I just see Cozens as the better all around player with the higher ceiling.

Agreed.  Wonder why the French guy had Dach so high.  I like his analysis typically.

With losing the lottery, this is the 1st year in a long time that I really don't care who they take, I;m sure anyone we take will be at least 2 years away anyhow. But if I had to choose:

D - Byram

F - Cozens

I know, bold picks! So, that being said now, it's guaranteed Holland won't take either.

8 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Agreed.  Wonder why the French guy had Dach so high.  I like his analysis typically.

A lot of people do. He's being compared by some to Getzlaf. Not the fleetest of foot, but high hockey IQ, good shot and a phenomenal passer. I wouldn't hate if we drafted him, but he's like 4th or 5th on my list outside of the two that we now have no chance at...

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

With losing the lottery, this is the 1st year in a long time that I really don't care who they take, I;m sure anyone we take will be at least 2 years away anyhow. But if I had to choose:

D - Byram

F - Cozens

I know, bold picks! So, that being said now, it's guaranteed Holland won't take either.

That's my hope as well, but I'm kind of thinking both will be gone before 6, unfortunately... But hey, ya never know. Bigger names have dropped further...

I think the top 3 picks will be:

Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, so that leaves both Cozens and Byram, but lets hope 4 and 5 don't take them.  I don't know too much about Turcotte. I actually don't know too much about the rest either. Haven't kept up like I use to do.  But I trust TSN and their top 10, they say, all are NHL players, so I guess we'll see who we get.

Here is Craig Button's post-lottery picks up to us. He and I agree on the top 3, honest I didn't look at it before I typed above!

Considering the 2 extra 2nd rounds picks are way back there (pending eliminations) I am hoping we can snag a diamond with our 2nd. I usually don't prefer the shorter forwards, but if Cole Caufield fell to us in the 2nd, that would be a nice pick! Right now he is ranked #16.  I hear a ton a nice things about him!

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I think the top 3 picks will be:

Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, so that leaves both Cozens and Byram, but lets hope 4 and 5 don't take them.  I don't know too much about Turcotte. I actually don't know too much about the rest either. Haven't kept up like I use to do.  But I trust TSN and their top 10, they say, all are NHL players, so I guess we'll see who we get.

Here is Craig Button's post-lottery picks up to us. He and I agree on the top 3, honest I didn't look at it before I typed above!

image.png.ab89b234abd52584a979ee0b0c6b1617.png

Considering the 2 extra 2nd rounds picks are way back there (pending eliminations) I am hoping we can snag a diamond with our 2nd. I usually don't prefer the shorter forwards, but if Cole Caufield fell to us in the 2nd, that would be a nice pick! Right now he is ranked #16.  I hear a ton a nice things about him!

As much as I like it, I dont think Dach goes before Byram.

6th is the worst spot for me. There are 5 guys I would be happy with: Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Podholzin, and Byram. All of them could go in the top 5, leaving Dach and Zegras as "consolation prizes" IMO.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Who would you target in the second round if you picked a forward like Turcotte in the first?  Who if you picked Byrum?  With Turcotte I would go for Korczak in two. With Byrum I’m hoping Leason slides