• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

I had made up my mind that I didn’t want Podkolzin until someone posted to a report of on Dr Dangles I believe. Now I don’t know how he isn’t the top pick. Then I had Dach at 7 until a nice post on him a couple of posts up.  I can be easily swayed to anyone I guess. I think Byrum is my top choice at 6 now

15 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

So, no Hughes or Kakko, lets say Cozens and Byram are also gone, do you draft a D man that high that "might" be a top 4 guy, do you draft another C that won't be here for awhile (especially since you already have Veleno coming soon) or do you deal the #6 pick away?

Would you trade the #6 pick and a player/prospect (Helm & Svech maybe) to WPG for Trouba and their 1st?

I guess for WPG to want to make that deal they'd have to fail miserably in the playoffs.  But honestly they are probably going to have hard time with Trouba again, so maybe they'd welcome the #6 pick for him.  It's just valuing their 1st that depends on what to add to the package. Helms NTC is void until the start of the season due to the clause that the Wings failed to make the playoffs, I happened to think Helm and Svech would be worth a late round 1st, but I really don't know for sure.

Anyhow, for me, if Byram or Cozens are both gone, that's what I would do.

to WPG:  #6 Pick, NHL Player, Prospect

to DET:  Jacob Trouba, 2019 1st round pick (TBD)

Not enough to WPG? What do you think?

I keep the #6 pick no matter what, draft the top center available if Byram is gone. If that pick and veleno pan out to reach their ceilings, we have the opposite of a problem. 

1 hour ago, HoweFan said:

I believe we have the second round picks of the Sharks and maybe the Islanders via Vegas.  Are these picks finalized or do they depend on how those teams do in the playoffs?

We'll know exactly what position those picks are at at the end of the playoffs or earlier if neither SJ or NYI get past round 2.  Speaking which, how much would it suck of it's the Sharks and Isles in the final.

I'm sure most of you have seen Craig Button's most recent mock draft by now. But for anyone that hasn't...

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-s-tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1287914

This truly is a "mock draft" (how he thinks it will play out), not a draft eligible "prospect ranking" (how he thinks it should play out). What I found very interesting is that he projects Trevor Zegras going to Minnesota, 12th overall, in his mock, but thinks (like kipwinger) that he's the 2nd best center in the draft (behind only Jack Hughes)... In a recent podcast that I've listened to, he compares him to Elias Petterson.

Point is, we should get a really good player at 6th overall, regardless who goes in the top 5. I'd be thrilled with any of Byram, Cozens, Dach, Zegras, Turcotte, Podkolzin, and the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I wouldn't mind trading back a couple spots, if a team in the 7-9 range (Buffalo, Edmonton, Anaheim) is willing to pay the price. But then at the same time I think, don't overthink it, we need quality over quantity, take your guy, and hope that he end up being the best player available...

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm sure most of you have seen Craig Button's most recent mock draft by now. But for anyone that hasn't...

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-s-tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1287914

This truly is a "mock draft" (how he thinks it will play out), not a draft eligible "prospect ranking" (how he thinks it should play out). What I found very interesting is that he projects Trevor Zegras going to Minnesota, 12th overall, in his mock, but thinks (like kipwinger) that he's the 2nd best center in the draft (behind only Jack Hughes)... In a recent podcast that I've listened to, he compares him to Elias Petterson.

Point is, we should get a really good player at 6th overall, regardless who goes in the top 5. I'd be thrilled with any of Byram, Cozens, Dach, Zegras, Turcotte, Podkolzin, and the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I wouldn't mind trading back a couple spots, if a team in the 7-9 range (Buffalo, Edmonton, Anaheim) is willing to pay the price. But then at the same time I think, don't overthink it, we need quality over quantity, take your guy, and hope that he end up being the best player available...

This seems like a pretty realistic scenario

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This seems like a pretty realistic scenario

Yep. This s*** is so up-in-the-air right now and it will probably stay that way until the names are called on draft day. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see Podkolzin available at 6.

12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Yep. This s*** is so up-in-the-air right now and it will probably stay that way until the names are called on draft day. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see Podkolzin available at 6.

I don't really care what name is called on June 21st, I just hope in a year or two down the road, we'll be sitting right here talking about how we can't believe he fell to us at 6th overall... I'm hoping (and still optimistic) about that same conversation about Zadina as well.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't really care what name is called on June 21st, I just hope in a year or two down the road, we'll be sitting right here talking about how we can't believe he fell to us at 6th overall... I'm hoping (and still optimistic) about that same conversation about Zadina as well.

Well said.

20 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Byram at 6? I am on board. The only player that might be available there (assuming Hughes and Kakko are gone) that I pick over him is Podholzin.

Seems like everyone is very high on Byram but not everyone is sold on him projecting as an "elite, elite" NHL defenseman.

Personally? I love him. But I guess it's fair to say he's more appealing than Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson were and not quite as appealing as Hughes was. No one would put him on Heiskanen's level. (I really slept on Heiskanen until fairly recently, which shows how little my takes matter.)

Edited by Dabura

6 Detroit Red Wings Draft Options at No. 6 [The Hockey Writers]

My preferred first rounder for Detroit is none of the ones I mentioned, shockingly. I have watched skaters in the USHL develop all season long and have fallen in love with the game of Muskegon Lumberjacks forward Egor Afanasyev. I’ve gushed about him a few times, but with reason. He demonstrates a mature understanding of the game and has the speed to build an NHL game on. He has an offensive and playmaking mind but is also an excellent resource on the special teams – which is one area Detroit is lacking.

Detroit’s focus needs to be using the tools they have already. But when drafting, they need to be selecting skaters that can immediately work with the demands—mentally and physically—of the NHL. Afanasyev is large and has the distinct Russian style which would work magic if paired with fellow countryman, Evgeny Svechnikov, upon his return to the lineup.

I've seen Afanasyev in action a couple times -- though, I wasn't specifically watching him. I do remember being impressed. Seems like another "Damn, I really wish we'd been able to get an additional 1st" case.

Anyone here have any opinions on him?

Here's another brief profile, from back in December:

Draft Watch: USHL 2019 Draft Eligible Skaters You Should Know [Access Hockey MI]

Egor Afanasyev (F) – Muskegon Lumberjacks

Afanasyev has been working hard this regular season to make a strong case for his place in the NHL. A native of Russia, his skating is distinct as is his puck control. At only 17 years old, he’s 6’3″ and 203lbs. He’s got plenty of room to grow but his size is a huge advantage. In his second season with Muskegon, Afanasyev has become a central figure in every situation. A major power forward on the top line, a penalty kill must have and power play tool, Egor has positioned himself perfectly.

He leads the USHL for goals (15) and points (35) and leads the Lumberjacks in scoring. He’s considered a “notable mention” but will likely move higher on the draft list as June approaches. He has strong skating ability and cannon of a shot. He’s gained quite a bit of attention in the last season as his rights in the OHL had been traded in a deal that resulted in DiPietro also getting shifted. He’s a Michigan State Commit but little development is needed to merit a full four years. According to teammate and 2018 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Draft selection, Mikael Hakkarainen, he won’t go to college – meaning, he’s too good to not go right to the pros.

(Note: He's a winger.)

Edited by Dabura

15 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I've seen Afanasyev in action a couple times -- though, I wasn't specifically watching him. I do remember being impressed. Seems like another "Damn, I really wish we'd been able to get an additional 1st" case.

Draft Watch: USHL 2019 Draft Eligible Skaters You Should Know [Access Hockey MI]

Zero chance.  Holland needs to come our of thos draft with 2 players- Cozens and Broberg.  I would trade our 2020 1st and 2021 2nd after the draft to accomplish the Broberg part of that.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'm confused. Are you (or anyone) suggesting we take this kid at 6th overall? This is honestly the first I've ever heard of him. He's not even projected to go in the 1st round is he?

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Zero chance.  Holland needs to come our of thos draft with 2 players- Cozens and Broberg.  I would trade our 2020 1st and 2021 2nd after the draft to accomplish the Broberg part of that.

That would be a terrible trade... That 2020 1st round pick could be top 5, maybe even 1st overall, Lafrenier...

I'm confused. Are you (or anyone) suggesting we take this kid at 6th overall? This is honestly the first I've ever heard of him. He's not even projected to go in the 1st round is he?

I mean, I'm open to being persuaded about anything. Maybe he's a sleeper. If not worth the 6th overall pick, then maybe worth a later pick in a trade back scenario? Could he be a legit 2nd-round target? Would he be worth trying to trade up into late 1st round? I know very little about him and I'm genuinely curious.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I mean, I'm open to being persuaded about anything. Maybe he's a sleeper. If not worth the 6th overall pick, then maybe worth a later pick in a trade back scenario? Could he be a legit 2nd-round target? Would he be worth trying to trade up into late 1st round? I know very little about him and I'm genuinely curious.

I'd be open to using one of our 2nd round picks on him, sure. But 6th overall? No f***ing way! There's no way he's THAT much of a sleeper that no one is even talking about him as a potential 1st round pick, let alone top 15... I obviously don't know much about this kid, but there are a ton of other guys that I do know a fair bit about that I'm hoping will slide to us at 35...

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That would be a terrible trade... That 2020 1st round pick could be top 5, maybe even 1st overall, Lafrenier...

I would disagree with you if we weren't strapped to 5+ crappy "vets" right now.  But I think you are right considering we are.

Bert-Larks-Mantha

Cozens-AA-ZPinch

Rasmussen-Veleno-Hirose

Svechnikov-Glendening-Kuffner

Holmstrom/Turgeon

Hronek-Dekeyser

Sulak-Cholowski

Lindstrom-Broberg

McIlrath

Howard

Larsson

I think that lineup over 82 games gets us into a spot just outside of the playoffs in 2020 and just inside the playoffs in 2021.  

Adding (2) A+ skaters to replace Abdelkader and Kronwall (2 C- skaters) would have a noticeable impact.  Sulak is not a good swap for Green offensively, but they are both pretty level from a defensive/skating aspect.

I'd be open to using one of our 2nd round picks on him, sure. But 6th overall? No f***ing way! There's no way he's THAT much of a sleeper that no one is even talking about him as a potential 1st round pick, let alone top 15... I obviously don't know much about this kid, but there are a ton of other guys that I do know a fair bit about that I'm hoping will slide to us at 35...

At this point, I crave intrigue, drama, mystery boxes, the great unknown. "You've never heard of this kid, but he's #1 on my list" is a 10/10 on my personal Intrigue Boner Scale. So I guess I'm just fishing for any opinions people might have on this player. I'm not about to rearrange my preferences around him, but at the same time I have to acknowledge that I'm familiar with only, like, 40 of the players in this draft class, so I've got pretty big blind spot when it comes to non-high-profile types and potential sleepers.

14 minutes ago, Dabura said:

At this point, I crave intrigue, drama, mystery boxes, the great unknown. "You've never heard of this kid, but he's #1 on my list" is a 10/10 on my personal Intrigue Boner Scale. So I guess I'm just fishing for any opinions people might have on this player. I'm not about to rearrange my preferences around him, but at the same time I have to acknowledge that I'm familiar with only, like, 40 of the players in this draft class, so I've got pretty big blind spot when it comes to non-high-profile types and potential sleepers.

That's all fine, but there's no way you even consider going that far off the board on any non-high profile types or potential sleepers with the 6th overall selection... That's my point. Late 1st? Maybe. 2nd? Sure, why not... Believe me, I get the intrigue, but I'll save the potential sleeper picks for the 2nd round or later...

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That's all fine, but there's no way you even consider going that far off the board on any non-high profile types or potential sleepers with the 6th overall selection...

[orders custom afanasyev jersey]

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Honestly I would be ******* thrilled and insta-bonered if at pick number 6 on draft day, right b4 we're about to pick, they announce a classic Holland trade back trade. We got both Mantha and Bertuzzi that way i think.

Yeah, I've mentioned this a few times, and with the amount of talent similar in value in the 3-10 range, I'd be okay with moving back a few spots to pick up another pick in the 25-40 range. That also depends who drops for me though. If Byram and / or Cozens are still on the board, I say f*** it and take one of them. If it's between Turcotte, Zegras, Dach, Krebs, Boldy, etc. I'm all for a trade back to get one of them, plus another dart to throw at the board...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I've mentioned this a few times, and with the amount of talent similar in value in the 3-10 range, I'd be okay with moving back a few spots to pick up another pick in the 25-40 range. That also depends who drops for me though. If Byram and / or Cozens are still on the board, I say f*** it and take one of them. If it's between Turcotte, Zegras, Dach, Krebs, Boldy, etc. I'm all for a trade back to get one of them, plus another dart to throw at the board...

100%

But even if Byram were still on the board and it happens my brain would go instantly to "Ohhhhhhhh what does Holland know that we don't knowwwww"

It's a move that says I know I am smarter than you and there's better players farther down the board. Screams confidence. Love it. He's got a history to back it up too.

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

100%

But even if Byram were still on the board and it happens my brain would go instantly to "Ohhhhhhhh what does Holland know that we don't knowwwww"

It's a move that says I know I am smarter than you and there's better players farther down the board. Screams confidence. Love it. He's got a history to back it up too.

You could also argue that one of the Wings better drafts was last year when they didn't over think it and just took the no-brainer picks that were available. 

But yeah, I too like excitement.

9 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You could also argue that one of the Wings better drafts was last year when they didn't over think it and just took the no-brainer picks that were available. 

But yeah, I too like excitement.

Yeah but I take each as a function of their draft list.

They did not expect to see Zadina so they were like hell yeah we ranked him 3rd or something

At Mantha's draft year they most likely didn't value anyone ahead of Mantha as any better than him. With Bertuzzi the rumor I heard was NYR was targeting him in the 3rd. So Holland was able to move back and get the extra 2nd he wanted. Looking back he shoulda just taken Bertuzzi at Nastasiuks spot.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs