• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

Tampa has drafted really well the last handful of years, but so had Detroit under Tyler Wright.  I've been thrilled with how our picks have turned out since 2014, particularly the later round picks.  So I hope they don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I'm a little surprised at Elite Prospects top 31 draft list.  They have the list of the major players in the draft rankings right in front of them, and Trevor Zegras is at 21.  Phillip Broberg doesn't make the first round. Neither does Matt Robertson.

5 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

I'm a little surprised at Elite Prospects top 31 draft list.  They have the list of the major players in the draft rankings right in front of them, and Trevor Zegras is at 21.  Phillip Broberg doesn't make the first round. Neither does Matt Robertson.

Fans seem to like Broberg more than scouts do.  He has steadily fallen all year on pretty much every list I follow.  At this point I'd be surprised if he goes in the top 15.  Zegras probably goes top 10 though, so I'm not sure what they're thinking. 

1 minute ago, xault said:

So how much more confident are we in this up coming draft with Yzerman as the GM?

I wish the alternate universe where Holland remains the GM was accessible so we could compare his selections to Yzerman’s, but I’m left now to speculate madly about the disparity in quality.  

Just now, Mckinley25 said:

I wish the alternate universe where Holland remains the GM was accessible so we could compare his selections to Yzerman’s, but I’m left now to speculate madly about the disparity in quality.  

Right. That's kind of where I was leading. 

25 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

I would happily take Broberg in the second. Not sure what I would do if I had already taken  Byrum already

BPA. No way Broberg lasts to the 2nd round, but I'd be all for moving up for him, Soderstrom, York or Harley...

10 minutes ago, xault said:

Right. That's kind of where I was leading. 

I abandoned my thoughts too abruptly. Should Holland stay with the organization, they are then just adding additional experience and gray matter to the group.  I think that is reason for measured confidence and optimism.

15 hours ago, xault said:

So how much more confident are we in this up coming draft with Yzerman as the GM?

Yzerman has drafted many gems after the first round (I'm looking at you kuch) and picked up undrafted guys like Johnson since being at the helmet in tampa. 

My confidence has just soared up high for this draft, 

In Steve we trust!

1 hour ago, Euro_Twins said:

Yzerman has drafted many gems after the first round (I'm looking at you kuch) and picked up undrafted guys like Johnson since being at the helmet in tampa. 

My confidence has just soared up high for this draft, 

In Steve we trust!

Yzerman = Goku

Fedorov = Vegeta

Bring him in

On 4/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, xault said:

It doesnt really change my cofidence one way or another.

You gotta think that with the draft only 2 months away that Holland will still be heavily involved with this one, which makes sense considering his history as a scout. Having both Yzerman AND Holland at the helm for rhe draft gives me reason for optimism, but I dont think it changes our picks all that much if at all.

Where I really think the advantage will be is with roster management. Yzerman can utilize buyouts or trade away bad contracts more easily than Holland could because he doesn't have to fix his own mistakes and allows Holland some measure of saving face.

Also, I don't think he makes the same moves in free agency as Holland does, although I do think he lets Kronwall come back for another year if he wants to. Those 2 have history. I just dont think you'll see him bring in the Vanek types anymore.

32 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It doesnt really change my cofidence one way or another.

You gotta think that with the draft only 2 months away that Holland will still be heavily involved with this one, which makes sense considering his history as a scout. Having both Yzerman AND Holland at the helm for rhe draft gives me reason for optimism, but I dont think it changes our picks all that much if at all.

Where I really think the advantage will be is with roster management. Yzerman can utilize buyouts or trade away bad contracts more easily than Holland could because he doesn't have to fix his own mistakes and allows Holland some measure of saving face.

Also, I don't think he makes the same moves in free agency as Holland does, although I do think he lets Kronwall come back for another year if he wants to. Those 2 have history. I just dont think you'll see him bring in the Vanek types anymore.

I feel very contrary to this. This is not Yzerman's first ever draft, he does not need his hand held. Will he take in to consideration opinions from all? Sure, but ultimately, this is not Holland place anymore. Yzerman will meet mostly with scouts and make his own decision on the players he selects. He is the GM, this is his team to build. He is not Co-GM with Holland, this is not some sort of Marvel Team-Up where they choose together. This is Steve's team now, again, advice and opinions aside, Steve makes the decision's, none of it has to do with Holland anymore. I fully expect the type of player(s) selected will reflect on Steve's vision for the future of the makeup of this team, which could be polar opposite of Holland's. Which I welcome with open arms. If we wanted more Holland, we would've kept Holland, or promoted from within. I am SO glad that we more than likely won't see anymore 2nd round experimental picks! (ie. Berggren, when Holland should've drafted another D, like Woo or Wilde with that extra 2nd round pick.

This is Yzerman's team and this will be Yzerman's draft. Holland can just stay home.

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I dont know why this guy isn't rated higher, but I think he's the best dman in the draft.

Could be. We all know how drafts tend to play out.

I feel that if Cozens and Byram ate both gone, Turcotte will be the pick. You can always put a C on wing, but it's quite hard for a wing to go to C. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Steve took Cole Caulfield at 6, his stock is rising steadily. Probably still a bit high for him, but ya never know. That top 6 on team USA is lights out man!

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I dont know why this guy isn't rated higher, but I think he's the best dman in the draft.

The concern is that he's a slightly more talented Libor Sulak. He checks off several boxes: size, skating (his lateral skating might be a problem tho), offensive instincts. But there are questions about his scoring upside. As with Sulak, there are signs that he might lack the requisite raw talent for executing high-end plays at the highest levels and putting up big numbers at the highest levels. You can't teach a Darren Helm to be a Dylan Larkin.

Like, here's Tobias Bjornfot, a teenage Swedish defenseman who's eligible to be drafted in June:

That's a great end-to-end rush, and it almost results in a goal. So where does this stud project to be selected in the draft? The 2nd round. Because, while the skating and instincts are there, the ability to be an offense-driver in the NHL is not necessarily there.

https://dobberprospects.com/player/tobias-bjornfot/

February 2019 – Björnfot was expected to become a high first-rounder after he put up very impressive numbers in the SuperElit as a 16-year-old. But he hasn’t taken that next step offensively this season which is part of the reason he’s seen more as a second-rounder now. Even though Björnfot has improved as an all-around player compared to last season, his points-per-game average is almost identical to a year ago which is never a good sign. Björnfot is a reliable two-way defenseman who makes smart decisions at both ends of the rink. He likes to join the rush but avoids unnecessary risks. He has decent size, and he’s a good defensive player because of his high hockey sense.

Same kind of deal with other defensemen in this draft class (including Mikko Kokkonen, who's currently the guy I think we should be targeting with our first 2nd-round pick). Lots of mobile two-way defensemen with good offensive instincts, but counting on any of them to be the kind of elite guy we're longing for is risky. So you go for them a bit later than 6th overall, because at 6th overall there will be several other players who are probably more likely to become elite players.

Then again, maybe Hakan Andersson loves Broberg and insists we take him with our first pick. Drafting defensemen is a crapshoot, so who knows.

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I feel very contrary to this. This is not Yzerman's first ever draft, he does not need his hand held. Will he take in to consideration opinions from all? Sure, but ultimately, this is not Holland place anymore. Yzerman will meet mostly with scouts and make his own decision on the players he selects. He is the GM, this is his team to build. He is not Co-GM with Holland, this is not some sort of Marvel Team-Up where they choose together. This is Steve's team now, again, advice and opinions aside, Steve makes the decision's, none of it has to do with Holland anymore. I fully expect the type of player(s) selected will reflect on Steve's vision for the future of the makeup of this team, which could be polar opposite of Holland's. Which I welcome with open arms. If we wanted more Holland, we would've kept Holland, or promoted from within. I am SO glad that we more than likely won't see anymore 2nd round experimental picks! (ie. Berggren, when Holland should've drafted another D, like Woo or Wilde with that extra 2nd round pick.

This is Yzerman's team and this will be Yzerman's draft. Holland can just stay home.

Everything I heard in the press conference says otherwise.

Holland is much more familiar with what the team has regarding prospects. Yzerman isn't. He has 2 months to get up to speed. If u think that he isnt going to consult with the guy who has led this team for 22 years, you're wrong. Like it, or not, Holland is an asset to Yzerman. He said so in the press conference. Steve would actually be a bad manager to not take advantage of Holland's experience and knowledge. Holland was a scout for years before he was a GM. Yzerman would be an idiot to leave Holland out of the loop.

See, this is what I'm cautioning against. Don't expect Yzerman to be a radical departure from Holland. At least, not right away.

There are probably identifiable differences in the way Yzerman does business and the way Holland does business. For example, I personally feel better with Yzerman running our drafts. However, I don't think there are huge fundamental differences in the way the two men see things. (They are, after all, cut from the same Red Wings cloth.) The "identifiable differences" I'm referring to aren't even necessarily a thing, because comparing Yzerman-Tampa (2010-2019) to Holland-Detroit (2010-2019) isn't a straightforward apples-to-apples comparison.

Yzerman replacing Holland does not necessarily mean "We finally have a guy who will do what needs to be done, and what needs to be done is what I think needs to be done, so what I'm saying is Yzerman is finally going to give me what I've been asking for."

I really don't want to see Wings fans turn on Yzerman if he doesn't prove to be the Anti-Holland.

Edited by Dabura

56 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Holland is much more familiar with what the team has regarding prospects. Yzerman isn't. He has 2 months to get up to speed. If u think that he isnt going to consult with the guy who has led this team for 22 years, you're wrong. Like it, or not, Holland is an asset to Yzerman. He said so in the press conference. Steve would actually be a bad manager to not take advantage of Holland's experience and knowledge. Holland was a scout for years before he was a GM. Yzerman would be an idiot to leave Holland out of the loop.

Yzerman knows very well the prospects, he said that the reason he knows about them is that they scouted all the same players. Plus, Holland knowing about kids we have has nothing to do with this draft. Plus, you don't think Yzerman has been evaluating this team from Day 1 of the season? If anyone thinks this plan was not in the works from last fall, then you're blind. Like I said, opinions and advice are fine a d Yzerman will listen to all, but Holland will have zero choice in the matter when it comes to drafting. They are not co-GM's, Yzerman is in charge. 

Yzerman is very capable of building a winning team without his hand being held. 

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You must not know Steve Yzerman if you think he isn’t already upto speed on our prospects. 

He’ll speak to Holland etc, but ultimately he’ll do what he thinks is right. 

Edited by kickazz