• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Yzerman is very capable of building a winning team without his hand being held. 

Right, but no one's saying Holland would be holding Yzerman's hand. It's Yzerman's team now, but it's not like Holland is worthless. Dude has a ton of experience and institutional knowledge and insight. He's practically an NHL institution unto himself. If you can have that kind of guy in your front office and he's happy doing what he's doing, you take it without thinking twice. Yzerman + Holland = Big Hockey Brain.

Think of how much brain power the organization has lost in recent years. Think of how often you see people lamenting that "brain drain."

Personally, I'd like to see the Wings get back to collecting "institutional" guys. Not for the sake of having big names, but for the collective brain power. What's Larionov up to? What's Fedorov up to? Is Scotty Bowman bored?

16 hours ago, Dabura said:

See, this is what I'm cautioning against. Don't expect Yzerman to be a radical departure from Holland. At least, not right away.

There are probably identifiable differences in the way Yzerman does business and the way Holland does business. For example, I personally feel better with Yzerman running our drafts. However, I don't think there are huge fundamental differences in the way the two men see things. (They are, after all, cut from the same Red Wings cloth.) The "identifiable differences" I'm referring to aren't even necessarily a thing, because comparing Yzerman-Tampa (2010-2019) to Holland-Detroit (2010-2019) isn't a straightforward apples-to-apples comparison.

Yzerman replacing Holland does not necessarily mean "We finally have a guy who will do what needs to be done, and what needs to be done is what I think needs to be done, so what I'm saying is Yzerman is finally going to give me what I've been asking for."

I really don't want to see Wings fans turn on Yzerman if he doesn't prove to be the Anti-Holland.

I dont think the fans are looking for Yzerman to radically depart from Holland from a draft standpoint.  Holland's only flaw in the draft part of the job is not balancing right handedness into the lineup.  Not a big knock from most.  I think fans are looking for Yzerman to drop the loyalty to average players element.  Cleary, Miller, Ericsson, Abdelkader, Helm, etc.  Handing out high dollar contracts with NTC/NMC to players that should be allowed to hit UFA seems to be what the fans want to get away from.  I think the Red Wings handled this transition as good as it could be handled.  Holland finally took his golden handshake after getting offered it twice.  Believe me that Steve Yzerman will NOT need Hollands help.  Yzerman knows what he is doing.

18 hours ago, Dabura said:

Right, but no one's saying Holland would be holding Yzerman's hand. It's Yzerman's team now, but it's not like Holland is worthless. Dude has a ton of experience and institutional knowledge and insight. He's practically an NHL institution unto himself. If you can have that kind of guy in your front office and he's happy doing what he's doing, you take it without thinking twice. Yzerman + Holland = Big Hockey Brain.

Think of how much brain power the organization has lost in recent years. Think of how often you see people lamenting that "brain drain."

Personally, I'd like to see the Wings get back to collecting "institutional" guys. Not for the sake of having big names, but for the collective brain power. What's Larionov up to? What's Fedorov up to? Is Scotty Bowman bored?

Anna Kournicova. 

22 hours ago, Dabura said:

See, this is what I'm cautioning against. Don't expect Yzerman to be a radical departure from Holland. At least, not right away.

There are probably identifiable differences in the way Yzerman does business and the way Holland does business. For example, I personally feel better with Yzerman running our drafts. However, I don't think there are huge fundamental differences in the way the two men see things. (They are, after all, cut from the same Red Wings cloth.) The "identifiable differences" I'm referring to aren't even necessarily a thing, because comparing Yzerman-Tampa (2010-2019) to Holland-Detroit (2010-2019) isn't a straightforward apples-to-apples comparison.

Yzerman replacing Holland does not necessarily mean "We finally have a guy who will do what needs to be done, and what needs to be done is what I think needs to be done, so what I'm saying is Yzerman is finally going to give me what I've been asking for."

I really don't want to see Wings fans turn on Yzerman if he doesn't prove to be the Anti-Holland.

I think Yzerman is a little more brutal. He fired a coach and hired Jon Cooper. I don't think Holland has ever fired a coach; not even Dave Lewis. 

Yzerman signed team friendly contracts with one of the best forwards in the league, the best defenseman in the league and the current best forward in the league. 

Yzerman seems to have a little more "it's my way or the highway" type of approach. Holland more or less is a bit more passive.

I think Yzerman agrees with Holland in the sense that it's best to stock pile picks at this point in time. But beyond that I think Yzerman will be much better at cap management and cutting the bulls*** in the team. I.E if Blashill isn't cutting it, I bet he'll be gone within a year or two. 

Edited by kickazz

7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I dont think the fans are looking for Yzerman to radically depart from Holland from a draft standpoint.  Holland's only flaw in the draft part of the job is not balancing right handedness into the lineup.  Not a big knock from most.  I think fans are looking for Yzerman to drop the loyalty to average players element.  Cleary, Miller, Ericsson, Abdelkader, Helm, etc.  Handing out high dollar contracts with NTC/NMC to players that should be allowed to hit UFA seems to be what the fans want to get away from.  I think the Red Wings handled this transition as good as it could be handled.  Holland finally took his golden handshake after getting offered it twice.  Believe me that Steve Yzerman will NOT need Hollands help.  Yzerman knows what he is doing.

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

I think Yzerman is a little more brutal. He fired a coach and hired Jon Cooper. I don't think Holland has ever fired a coach; not even Dave Lewis. 

Yzerman signed team friendly contracts with one of the best forwards in the league, the best defenseman in the league and the current best forward in the league. 

Yzerman seems to have a little more "it's my way or the highway" type of approach. Holland more or less is a bit more passive.

I think Yzerman agrees with Holland in the sense that it's best to stock pile picks at this point in time. But beyond that I think Yzerman will be much better at cap management and cutting the bulls*** in the team. I.E if Blashill isn't cutting it, I bet he'll be gone within a year or two.

I think a realistic expectation, for the time being, is "Holland, minus the bulls***."

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I think a realistic expectation, for the time being, is "Holland, minus the bulls***."

Yeah I think he’s a strict dude. From player interviews even as a Captain no one in the locker room f***ed around with him. Too much respekkk. 

Like I very much doubt AA or Mantha are going to demand some dumb ass expensive contract under Yzerman. I don’t think they’ll have the balls to fight it, if that makes sense. 

Anyways, we’ll see.

Edited by kickazz

57 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Yeah I think he’s a strict dude. From player interviews even as a Captain no one in the locker room f***ed around with him. Too much respekkk. 

Like I very much doubt AA or Mantha are going to demand some dumb ass expensive contract under Yzerman. I don’t think they’ll have the balls to fight it, if that makes sense. 

Anyways, we’ll see.

And once Kronwall is gone, his ties to players will be done.  

Getting back to the draft...

I still love Krebs. He's still a personal favorite. Given that he's smallish and a left-handed shot and possibly a full-time winger at the NHL, I kind of placed him off to the side and gave other forwards a chance to overtake him. Some forwards made good cases, but...watching Krebs at the U-18s, I'm reminded that he is the s***. And so I will reassert my early-season belief that he's sorely underrated and is every bit as good as [insert forward not named Hughes or Kakko].

So, at present, Byram and Krebs are my top preferences for our first pick.

As for defensemen, I feel like more people should be talking about Victor Soderstrom.

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Anyways, we’ll see.

Hard to say IMHO...

I agree to a certain extent, but look at the response in Toronto to Shanny's comment last summer...Granted - Shanny in T.O. isn't the same as Stevie Y in Detroit, but my point being is 'kids these days'...They want their $$$ after their ELC, and have no issue with having their agent do all the dirty work for them.

It's their right under the CBA...I may not agree with how they carry themselves, or their views, but again - it's their right.

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Hard to say IMHO...

I agree to a certain extent, but look at the response in Toronto to Shanny's comment last summer...Granted - Shanny in T.O. isn't the same as Stevie Y in Detroit, but my point being is 'kids these days'...They want their $$$ after their ELC, and have no issue with having their agent do all the dirty work for them.

It's their right under the CBA...I may not agree with how they carry themselves, or their views, but again - it's their right.

But kids these days are better than Eric Lindros. 

I think Yzerman will have a positive impact on these youngsters. And I think it will be fair for everyone involved. He’s done an excellent job with that cap in Tampa, I think he’ll continue it in Detroit. 

Edited by kickazz

6 minutes ago, kickazz said:

But kids these days are better than Eric Lindros. 

I think Yzerman will have a positive impact on these youngsters. And I think it will be fair for everyone involved. He’s done an excellent job with that cap in Tampa, I think he’ll continue it in Detroit. 

Maple Leafs players/fans in generals are a bunch of tools. Detroit is a bit more classy.

I hope you're right...He did have issues with Drouin, and St.Louis, but he dealt with both as well as can be expected.

Edited by F.Michael

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

I hope you're right...He did have issues with Drouin, and St.Louis, but he dealt with both as well as can be expected.

Didn't he get Sergachev for Drouin? I'd say that's pretty good.

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

Getting back to the draft...

I still love Krebs. He's still a personal favorite. Given that he's smallish and a left-handed shot and possibly a full-time winger at the NHL, I kind of placed him off to the side and gave other forwards a chance to overtake him. Some forwards made good cases, but...watching Krebs at the U-18s, I'm reminded that he is the s***. And so I will reassert my early-season belief that he's sorely underrated and is every bit as good as [insert forward not named Hughes or Kakko].

So, at present, Byram and Krebs are my top preferences for our first pick.

As for defensemen, I feel like more people should be talking about Victor Soderstrom.

Turcotte is growing on me. Looking forward to seeing more of Zegras now that he's actually playing too.

Also curious what people think of this Cole Caufield, considering the success of someone like Debrincat. His goal scoring numbers sure are nuts.

5 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Didn't he get Sergachev for Drouin? I'd say that's pretty good.

Turcotte is growing on me. Looking forward to seeing more of Zegras now that he's actually playing too.

Also curious what people think of this Cole Caufield, considering the success of someone like Debrincat. His goal scoring numbers sure are nuts.

Turcotte's definitely won me over. I do worry about that hip tho, especially with the kind of game he plays. Maybe it won't be an issue...but maybe it will.

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Podholzin

This would make most sense for me.  They need a winger with mad skills to replace Hossa.  Thar team hasn't done so well since they lost Hossa.

So who do the Avs take?  What is their need?  I'm thinking they draft Byram.  They are pretty strong up front.  Or do they draft Cozens and take a dman with their pick mid round?  That would make sense.

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This would make most sense for me.  They need a winger with mad skills to replace Hossa.  Thar team hasn't done so well since they lost Hossa.

So who do the Avs take?  What is their need?  I'm thinking they draft Byram.  They are pretty strong up front.  Or do they draft Cozens and take a dman with their pick mid round?  That would make sense.

Anything that allows Byram to fall to 6 is ok with me

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

Turcotte's definitely won me over. I do worry about that hip tho, especially with the kind of game he plays. Maybe it won't be an issue...but maybe it will.

I actually didn't know about his hip injury. Now that I do, same. 

Like many other folks I'd be pleased with Byram, but I have a feeling he's not going to fall to 6.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

43 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I actually didn't know about his hip injury. Now that I do, same.

Doesn't seem like it's had any lingering impact, but I do think it's something you have to take into consideration.

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I would say the Avs' most pressing need is scoring depth at forward; they have a great top line and not much behind it. I figure they'll be focusing on centermen.

Edited by Dabura

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

6. Caufield

Dude is lunatic-tier right now. Straight-up scoring goals at will.

It's kinda crazy that the best goal-scorer in the draft doesn't crack most people's top 5 or even top 8. I mean, I get it. He's tiny. He's played on an absolutely loaded USNTDP team this season and has flanked Jack Hughes for most of the season. Some people aren't crazy about his skating.

But the dude can score goals. Holy crap can he scores goals.

5 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Dude is lunatic-tier right now. Straight-up scoring goals at will.

It's kinda crazy that the best goal-scorer in the draft doesn't crack most people's top 5 or even top 8. I mean, I get it. He's tiny. He's played on an absolutely loaded USNTDP team this season and has flanked Jack Hughes for most of the season. Some people aren't crazy about his skating.

But the dude can score goals. Holy crap can he scores goals.

Where have you seen that his skating is an issue? I’m not saying you’re incorrect but everything I have run across claims that he is a very good skater. 

I wouldn’t mind him at 6 but with one or two of Byram, Turcotte, Cozens, or Zegras being available I probably would take one of them. Size isn’t the end all anymore in the NHL but Gaudreau had a hard time in the playoffs.