• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Where have you seen that his skating is an issue? I’m not saying you’re incorrect but everything I have run across claims that he is a very good skater.

Cam Robinson/DobberProspects is one of my go-to resources. I think he puts it well:

https://dobberprospects.com/cam-robinsons-2019-nhl-draft-rankings-april-2019/

Owns good edge work and a non-stop motor but could use that extra gear at his stature.

That lines up pretty well with my own observations. (I actually have the same basic concern with Podkolzin, for what it's worth.) I've seen at least a couple other sources touch on it, but I can't remember off the top of my head who said it. Certainly it's fair to say the consensus opinion, at least among "amateur amateur scouts" (AKA the internet intelligentsia, i.e. blogger folk), is that his skating is fine.

16 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

I wouldn’t mind him at 6 but with one or two of Byram, Turcotte, Cozens, or Zegras being available I probably would take one of them. Size isn’t the end all anymore in the NHL but Gaudreau had a hard time in the playoffs. 

I do wonder what effect Gaudreau's disappearing act might have on size-related narratives and such. Possibly no effect, but I suppose it's something worth tracking.

Before Yzerman took over as general manager I had a strong feeling we were going to target Dach if he were available. Now I have no idea who we're going to target. For me, I still hope it's one of Byram or Cozens...

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Before Yzerman took over as general manager I had a strong feeling we were going to target Dach if he were available. Now I have no idea who we're going to target. For me, I still hope it's one of Byram or Cozens...

The scoring droughts with Cozens don’t concern you? However I love the idea of a 6-3 scoring center with the speed, stick handling, and shot of a MacKinnon.

58 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

Do we lose a third round pick when we signed Yzerman?  If he stepped down from his position at the start of the year is he exempt?

46 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Is that compensation system even a thing anymore?

No, I don't think it is.

30 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

The scoring droughts with Cozens don’t concern you? However I love the idea of a 6-3 scoring center with the speed, stick handling, and shot of a MacKinnon.

What scoring droughts? He's been one of the better point producers in the WHL for his age group the past couple years. Currently has 3 goals, 7 points in 4 games in the U18's. Are his "scoring droughts" even a thing? And if they are, are they any more of a thing than any other "scorer" ever?

He's one of the better north-south skaters in the draft, and can stick handle at top speed, has a good shot and is an underrated passer. I've been a huge fan for two years now. I really hope he's a Wing in two months...

53 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

What scoring droughts? He's been one of the better point producers in the WHL for his age group the past couple years. Currently has 3 goals, 7 points in 4 games in the U18's. Are his "scoring droughts" even a thing? And if they are, are they any more of a thing than any other "scorer" ever?

He's one of the better north-south skaters in the draft, and can stick handle at top speed, has a good shot and is an underrated passer. I've been a huge fan for two years now. I really hope he's a Wing in two months...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-february/

Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), 6-foot-3, 185 pounds: Point production has tailed off considerably over the past month, but the most important hockey of his career lies ahead with a loaded Lethbridge team all-in for a WHL title.

8 hours ago, BringBack19 said:

How do you get "scoring droughts" from that? Even if his point production had fallen off "considerably" at that point in the season, he still finished 11th in WHL scoring in his draft year. Every single one of the 10 players ahead of him are 2-3 years older than him. That's impressive. Regardless of his point totals though, he's far and away my favorite player that could be available at 6, and I think his style of play, will transfer well to the NHL. I believe he has the raw tools and compete to be a legit top line center / winger.

8 hours ago, BringBack19 said:

Newhook could be a player on the move up draft boards. He is having a really good tournament. Below is a scouting report which sounds enticing, but most are so take it with a grain of salt. 

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/19/alex-newhook-scouting-report/

I love Newhook, but not at 6. He's my Veleno of last year. I'd love to trade up into the middle of the first round to get him, but maybe he could slip the way Veleno did last year. Although I highly doubt he drops all the way to 35...

13 hours ago, Dabura said:

I do wonder what effect Gaudreau's disappearing act might have on size-related narratives and such. Possibly no effect, but I suppose it's something worth tracking.

At least one "Goodrow" came to play first round.....

JD Burke from EliteProspects Reddit AMA

On who has the highest ceiling outside of Hughes and Kakko:

Alex Turcotte. One scout I spoke to said that Turcotte reminds him a little bit of Patrice Bergeron, then went on to say how much he hates player comps, which, fair enough. His SEAL (Situational Era Age League) adjusted scoring rate is obscene. Those adjustments give him the second-highest adjusted points per game in the entire class.

On most under/over rated:

Most overrated: Trevor Zegras

Most underrated: Pavel Dorofeyev

On organizations with superior scouting:

The best organizations for scouting, just off of the top of my head, are the Detroit Red Wings, Tampa Bay Lightning, Los Angeles Kings, Florida Panthers, Anaheim Ducks, Boston Bruins, and the Winnipeg Jets, in no particular order.

19 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

If Turcotte = Bergeron...Hell yeah - nab him if you can!

He said he doesn't expect Turcotte to be available at 6 unfortunately. I believe he has us taking Cozens. But yeah Turcotte, Byram, and Podkolzin are the players I'm most interested in getting right now.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

If Turcotte = Bergeron...Hell yeah - nab him if you can!

Turcotte's on record saying he models his game after Bergeron's. It definitely shows. (I wouldn't expect him to become the next Bergeron, of course).

Larkin's a good comparable. Both are elite skaters. Turcotte's a little smaller, but he's arguably more skilled and his production this season is better than Larkin's production in his draft year:

• Larkin in his draft season (USNTDP-USHL): 17 goals and 26 points in  26 games played
  • Turcotte this season (USNTDP-USHL): 12 goals and 34 points in 16 games played

This video's from last year, but it's held up well:

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He said he doesn't expect Turcotte to be available at 6 unfortunately. I believe he has us taking Cozens. But yeah Turcotte, Byram, and Podkolzin are the players I'm most interested in getting right now.

This is where I'm at too, in that order. 

Surprised by what he said about Zegras, though admittedly I haven't seen him play much. 

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And the Chicago Blackhawks select...

I’m going to stick with Chicago selecting Byram. Goal scoring wasn’t an issue for them and they have a nice 1-2-3 punch down the middle. Keith and Seabrook are getting old, and their prospects while good are not Byram. 

Podkolzin to the AVS makes sense. They can afford to wait a couple years and picking this high is a gift anyway. So go for the most talented guy with superstar potential. 

Cozens to the Kings. LA puts a premium on size and needs help down the middle or on wing. So a flex guy like Cozens makes a whole lot of sense. Or I could see them go off the board and take the next best defenseman due to their need there.

Edited by BringBack19

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And the Chicago Blackhawks select...

8 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Yeah...He's from the Chicago area...

I agree. I'd be shocked if the Hawks don't draft Turcotte.

I'd love for him to slip to 6, but I don't see it happening.