• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

41 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I'm asking you who you think the best prospect is between Zadina and QHughes. What's there to be coy about? 

I said several times, no way to know for sure at this point. Right now, I'd take Zadina over Hughes, but that could change pretty quick. So who's the better prospect? I have no idea...

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

That's because you're dumb...

You never draft for need that high in the draft. To do so, would be dumb...

Zadina was the consensus best player available at 3, 4, 5 AND 6. To pass on him would have been dumb...

Like Neo said...

Really good players "fall three spots" (or more) every single year in the draft. It's very common...

You're literally the only person that thinks Zadina is a "one-dimensional winger". Every scout, hockey analyst, even coaches and our (previous) GM, have gone out of their way to speak highly on his "two-way" game. Zadina is a shoot first winger, which is something we're lacking, but he can also set up plays and is responsible defensively.

Again, you do NOT draft for need that high in the draft EVER, unless you value two prospect (one forward and one defenseman) exactly the same, which is rarely the case.

If the Red Wings brass were not that high on Zadina, they could have (would have) traded back and taken a defenseman. That clearly wasn't the case, and for good reason.

Same thing this upcoming draft. Byram likely won't be available at 6, and York, Harley, Broberg or Soderstrom would be a reach. If the Red Wings aren't that high on Cozens, Dach, Krebs, Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield or Podkolzin, they may opt to trade back for one of the defenseman. That most certainly will not happen though, as one of those forwards available will assuredly be much higher on their list than any of the aforementioned defensemen...

Montreal drafted coca-cola last year apparently for need... but maybe they saw what I see.

Complementing a young player that's faltering is more about building confidence than providing an honest assessment.  Would you expect Holland to have said we wish we'd have drafted Bouchard?  What would that accomplish ot would destroy any confidence Zagina had and rendered his trade value nill. 

On that note if Winnipeg hasn't clued in I'd ship Zagina there for an extended Trouba in a nanosecond. 

1 minute ago, mackel said:

Montreal drafted coca-cola last year apparently for need... but maybe they saw what I see.

Complementing a young player that's faltering is more about building confidence than providing an honest assessment.  Would you expect Holland to have said we wish we'd have drafted Bouchard?  What would that accomplish ot would destroy any confidence Zagina had and rendered his trade value nill. 

On that note if Winnipeg hasn't clued in I'd ship Zagina there for an extended Trouba in a nanosecond. 

Can you, at least, stop calling him Zagina ?

3 minutes ago, mackel said:

Yup, Montreal drafted for need. I think that will come back to bite them in the ass. Not because I don't think Kotkaniemi will be a good player, but because I think Zadina will be better.

No, I don't expect coaches and management to s*** on Zadina, but they could have said a lot of generic positive things without saying that he plays a strong two-way game... You really think they would be thinking now, just a few short months later, that they should have drafted Bouchard (or any other player) over Zadina?

Top prospect for a pending UFA... So happy you're not the GM of the Red Wings...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Yup, Montreal drafted for need. I think that will come back to bite them in the ass. Not because I don't think Kotkaniemi will be a good player, but because I think Zadina will be better.

No, I don't expect coaches and management to s*** on Zadina, but they could have said a lot of generic positive things without saying that he plays a strong two-way game... You really think they would be thinking now, just a few short months later, that they should have drafted Bouchard (or any other player) over Zadina?

Top prospect for a pending UFA... So happy you're not the GM of the Red Wings...

I wouldn't put it past Jimmy D :lol:

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Krsmith17 try reading a post before you reply...  I said an extended Trouba.

Your response also ignores my POV that Zagina isn't our top prospect... I'd put Cholo and Veleno well ahead of him.

You're splitting hairs on the complementary non-sense... they are obviously going to publicly comment  positively what clearly are the deficiencies in his game... I'd say after seeing him day in and day out their is a case of buyers remorse... and if not their should be.

23 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Can you, at least, stop calling him Zagina ?

No.

2 hours ago, mackel said:

they are obviously going to publicly comment  positively what clearly are the deficiencies in his game...

Right, because that's what the Wings are known for. Going out of their way to be kind to their prospects in media scrums. Ignoring any deficiencies in their games and instead speaking only in positives. Typical Red Wings.

"Well, Zadina is the highest pick they've had in ages, so it makes sense."

No, it doesn't make sense. What makes sense is that people like Blashill are basing their positive comments about Zadina on observable reality.

"Well, I seen Zadina when he was a Moosehead and he was garbage."

No one cares. I saw Zadina when he was a Moosehead and my impression of him mostly lines up with what people in the Wings organization and people outside the Wings organization have said about him, good and bad. Whoopdeedoo.

Bottom line: He put up 35 points in 59 AHL games as a teenaged rookie and that's pretty good. He's at least a year ahead of where our top prospects tend to be at 18/19 and that's all you can really ask of a 6th overall pick or even a 3rd overall pick.

Anecdotally, he played pretty well for most of the season. I don't think it's a stretch to say he played better than the stats suggest. I can't tell you how many times I saw him set up easy goals on a platter only to see his linemates squander the setup. That, and there's a whole lot more clutching and grabbing and mobbing in the AHL than there is in the NHL; AHL refs tend to give AHLers longer leashes than NHL refs give to NHLers.

The "He slid all the way from 3 to 6" narrative is stupid. The "He's a lazy player who doesn't play defense and he's totally one-dimensional and he's going to be a major disappointment" narrative is stupid. Your trolling is admirable but stupid.

2 hours ago, mackel said:

I'd say after seeing him day in and day out their is a case of buyers remorse... and if not their should be.

*there
*there

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Right, because that's what the Wings are known for. Going out of their way to be kind to their prospects in media scrums. Ignoring any deficiencies in their games and instead speaking only in positives. Typical Red Wings.

"Well, Zadina is the highest pick they've had in ages, so it makes sense."

No, it doesn't make sense. What makes sense is that people like Blashill are basing their positive comments about Zadina on observable reality.

"Well, I seen Zadina when he was a Moosehead and he was garbage."

No one cares. I saw Zadina when he was a Moosehead and my impression of him mostly lines up with what people in the Wings organization and people outside the Wings organization have said about him, good and bad. Whoopdeedoo.

Bottom line: He put up 35 points in 59 AHL games as a teenaged rookie and that's pretty good. He's at least a year ahead of where our top prospects tend to be at 18/19 and that's all you can really ask of a 6th overall pick or even a 3rd overall pick.

Anecdotally, he played pretty well for most of the season. I don't think it's a stretch to say he played better than the stats suggest. I can't tell you how many times I saw him set up easy goals on a platter only to see his linemates squander the setup. That, and there's a whole lot more clutching and grabbing and mobbing in the AHL than there is in the NHL; AHL refs tend to give AHLers longer leashes than NHL refs give to NHLers.

The "He slid all the way from 3 to 6" narrative is stupid. The "He's a lazy player who doesn't play defense and he's totally one-dimensional and he's going to be a major disappointment" narrative is stupid. Your trolling is admirable but stupid.

*there
*there

You're calling me stupid, calling out grammar and I'm the troll...  good talk.

4 hours ago, mackel said:

Krsmith17 try reading a post before you reply...  I said an extended Trouba.

Your response also ignores my POV that Zagina isn't our top prospect... I'd put Cholo and Veleno well ahead of him.

You're splitting hairs on the complementary non-sense... they are obviously going to publicly comment  positively what clearly are the deficiencies in his game... I'd say after seeing him day in and day out their is a case of buyers remorse... and if not their should be.

No.

Not even backed up by past events. 

Have you even watched him in the AHL? I'm starting to think you don't even know what his real deficiencies actually are, but just parrot whatever initial impression you got from him in junior and then try to back it up with his +/-, as if that's a solid argument. 

I'm also willing to bet you don't know squat about Veleno outside of his stat line, but choose to rank him above Zadina just for the sake of being obstinate. 

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

no u

Yes you are.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Actually, Dabura is probably the most level headed person on here. For him to spout off to anyone requires a pretty hardcore troll post.

Dithering shouldn't be confused with level headedness.  

37 minutes ago, Larkness Monster said:

Then we try to trade down to 8th and take whoever falls to us.

Clever user id.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think there's any way the Rangers take Byram over Kakko, but there's also no way Byram drops to us at 6... unfortunately. 

Still hoping. It makes up for getting #6 2 years in a row.

15 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Clever user id.

Still hoping. It makes up for getting #6 2 years in a row.

Thanks man. I've been looking for a place to discuss the Red Wings for a long time - one that is not completely littered with idiots (like every article on Facebook). I think I've found it. I'm excited.

A few months ago I thought we had a shot at Byram. I feel there is no way LA passes on him. And I wouldn't be shocked if Chicago or the Avs sniped him either. Either way, exciting draft with a lot of intriguing prospects. 

2 hours ago, Larkness Monster said:

Thanks man. I've been looking for a place to discuss the Red Wings for a long time - one that is not completely littered with idiots (like every article on Facebook). I think I've found it. I'm excited.

A few months ago I thought we had a shot at Byram. I feel there is no way LA passes on him. And I wouldn't be shocked if Chicago or the Avs sniped him either. Either way, exciting draft with a lot of intriguing prospects. 

26636099.jpg

Welcome welcome. Grab a coat. There's Octopi in the front, cookies in the back.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

3 hours ago, Larkness Monster said:

I've been looking for a place to discuss the Red Wings for a long time - one that is not completely littered with idiots (like every article on Facebook). I think I've found it. I'm excited.

You're going to be disappointed :lol:

4 hours ago, Larkness Monster said:

Welcome! The Game day threads are the best. It's mainly music videos, anime and other youtube-clips and only Dabura posting updates. He's a champ.

4 hours ago, Larkness Monster said:

Welcome aboard! We're all idiots here! :cheesy:

1 minute ago, Akakabuto said:

Welcome! The Game day threads are the best. It's mainly music videos, anime and other youtube-clips and only Dabura posting updates. He's a champ.

It wasn't always this way! LGW.com's just going through a rebuild. Once the Wings git gud again this place will return to its former glory. :drunk: