• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

Now that Broberg had an excellent U18 does he slip into your top ten?  If Podkolzin is in the ISS top four I think, and still second in Europe in Central’s list I don’t believe he slips out of the top five picks. Was it Buttons that ranked him low. Not too impressed with his list. I’m still hoping for Byrum and Turcotte.

14 hours ago, HoweFan said:

Now that Broberg had an excellent U18 does he slip into your top ten?  If Podkolzin is in the ISS top four I think, and still second in Europe in Central’s list I don’t believe he slips out of the top five picks. Was it Buttons that ranked him low. Not too impressed with his list. I’m still hoping for Byrum and Turcotte.

I think Podkolzin could go anywhere. Same with Broberg and so many others.

One guy who's starting to get a lot of love is Moritz Seider. Hulking right-shot defenseman. Really good skater for his size, good two-way game, likes to play physically, good puck-mover, great arsenal of shots, could become an absolute terror working the point in the o-zone. He, more than anyone else, is really making me wish we had another 1st-round pick in this draft.

Avs are poised to make a killing in this draft. They could be terrifying in a couple of years.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was expecting to be shunned for being a n00b haha. From the little bit of browsing I've done, it seems there will be some good discussions to look forward to. I'm excited for next season already. Can't wait to see how Steve begins to right the ship!

5 hours ago, Larkness Monster said:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was expecting to be shunned for being a n00b haha. From the little bit of browsing I've done, it seems there will be some good discussions to look forward to. I'm excited for next season already. Can't wait to see how Steve begins to right the ship!

Noobs are welcome. Many are just previously banned accounts anyway.:ninja:

7 hours ago, Larkness Monster said:

Ya welcome aboard... but I wouldn't expect any "good" discussions really. Most opinions outside mine are dumb and dont count... 

Friedman speculates Red Wings will take Podkolzin

“If you need help next season or the year after, you can’t take him,” one exec said this week. “But if you can afford to wait…it could be like a delayed powerball victory.”

New Jersey and the Rangers aren’t going there. The suspicion is the Blackhawks won’t either, since they are determined to regain peak relevance now. The biggest question about Chicago is whether or not they take Byram, since they have selected three defencemen in the first round and another in the second during the past two drafts. (I’d take the best player available and sort it out, but I’m not in charge — luckily for them.)

That brings us to Colorado. The Avalanche are stocked with good, young players. This is a rising team that will get votes as a Stanley Cup contender in 2018-19. It can afford to be patient. Now, some teams are more careful about drafting Russian players with options. Mikhail Grigorenko didn’t work out with the Avalanche, and they have to sort out Nikita Zadorov’s future. There are differing opinions on whether or not Colorado would do it, but there’s no doubt they are in a great position to take the gamble.

At five is Los Angeles, and, like the Blackhawks, are pushing to regain the mystique. It would be a surprise. Then comes Detroit.

No GM is more secure than Steve Yzerman, returning to the scene of his greatest triumphs. Even before his announcement, there was a belief the Red Wings liked Podkolzin’s game. The organization has a great history with Russian players, and Yzerman had success with drafting them in Tampa Bay. They won’t be afraid, if he’s the No. 1 guy on their list.

Basically anyone taking Podkolzin has to wait two years for him to come over. We're basically the one team in the top 6 that can really afford to make that investment. I would be curious where Pods would rank if he was available to come over next season. Maybe he's #3? If that's the case Yzerman should BPA that bad boy and let's keep rebuilding another 2 years.

17 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Basically anyone taking Podkolzin has to wait two years for him to come over. We're basically the one team in the top 6 that can really afford to make that investment. I would be curious where Pods would rank if he was available to come over next season. Maybe he's #3? If that's the case Yzerman should BPA that bad boy and let's keep rebuilding another 2 years.

I mean, if you're drafting 6th you're probably waiting at least a year anyway for anyone. 

16 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We have an abundance of left handed forwards that snipe from the right circle.  Mantha, Athanasiou, Zadina.  That's enough.  We have zero right handed players who can score and need more speed on defense.

Hughes

Kakko

Dozens

Byram

Broberg

That's what our draft board should look like.  We need to hope one of them is still around at 6.

18 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I mean, if you're drafting 6th you're probably waiting at least a year anyway for anyone. 

Yeah, I wouldn't not take a player at 6 for that reason. It should always be BPA, but I'm just not convinced he will be BPA when we pick. If he is, great, but I'm not quite sold.

20 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

We have an abundance of left handed forwards that snipe from the right circle.  Mantha, Athanasiou, Zadina.  That's enough.  We have zero right handed players who can score and need more speed on defense.

Hughes
Kakko
Dozens
Byram
Broberg

That's what our draft board should look like.  We need to hope one of them is still around at 6.

Hughes and Kakko obviously won't be available at 6. Neither will Byram. Cozens might be. Broberg definitely will be, but shouldn't be our pick.

I'm all for adding some right-shot forwards, but not at the expense of passing up on better players.

18 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

If this happens, I will be stoked.  Speed, Size, Right Handed.  Exactly what we need.

A lot of people seem to be low on Cozens. He's still at the top of my list though.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't not take a player at 6 for that reason. It should always be BPA, but I'm just not convinced he will be BPA when we pick. If he is, great, but I'm not quite sold.

Hughes and Kakko obviously won't be available at 6. Neither will Byram. Cozens might be. Broberg definitely will be, but shouldn't be our pick.

I'm all for adding some right-shot forwards, but not at the expense of passing up on better players.

A lot of people seem to be low on Cozens. He's still at the top of my list though.

Podkolzin

Caufield

Zegras

Turcotte

One of these four is getting drafted by Yzerman. I am as sure of this as I was back in March that the Wings would be picking 6th. 

5 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Podkolzin

Caufield

Zegras

Turcotte

One of these four is getting drafted by Yzerman. I am as sure of this as I was back in March that the Wings would be picking 6th. 

I wouldn't bet against it (the way I did, dropping to 6), but I think there are others that could be an option in Cozens, Dach, Krebs, etc...

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I wouldn't bet against it (the way I did, dropping to 6), but I think there are others that could be an option in Cozens, Dach, Krebs, etc...

I think Cozens goes top 5. 

Dach doesn't seem like an Yzerman pick (but does sort of seem like a Wright pick). 

I think the four guys I listed > Krebs

40 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

If this happens, I will be stoked.  Speed, Size, Right Handed.  Exactly what we need.

I know you don’t draft for need in the first round but it would be sweet with a right handed centerman. Checks many boxes. Would be very satisfied with either Cozens or Dach. 

I think the skill level isn't as high with Cozens, and that's what is driving people away.  But size and skating are A+.  You cannot teach those.  To me, Dach only has Keith Primeau potential, but a 95% chance of reaching it.  Cozens has Larkin type potential, but only a 5% chance of reaching it (95% Matthieu Dandenault).

On 5/12/2019 at 5:09 PM, Dabura said:

One guy who's starting to get a lot of love is Moritz Seider. Hulking right-shot defenseman. Really good skater for his size, good two-way game, likes to play physically, good puck-mover, great arsenal of shots, could become an absolute terror working the point in the o-zone. He, more than anyone else, is really making me wish we had another 1st-round pick in this draft.

He is. He went from barely making the opening day roster of the Adler Mannheim all the way to our National Team this year. And in his first WC-Game he did this:

I'm still not sure if I'd jump on the hype train that fast. But if he drops to us in the second round I'm all for taking him.