• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Cry harder, nerd.

Says the dude who wrote a page long response to my late night ribbing, outlining everything I've said bad about Jack Hughes in the last 6 months.  Probably feels good to get that off your chest huh?  Reminds me of that time you gave me a stern talking to for being so mean to the poor little MAGA dips***s.  Boy you really put me in my place that time too. 

Just now, kipwinger said:

Says the dude who wrote a page long response to my late night ribbing, outlining everything I've said bad about Jack Hughes in the last 6 months.  Probably feels good to get that off your chest huh?  Reminds me of that time you gave me a stern talking to for being so mean to the poor little MAGA dips***s.  Boy you really put me in my place that time too. 

You are radiating butthurt energy, my dude.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I've always said Kakko is probably the more NHL-ready player. I've always favored him to win the Calder next season. I've always gushed over Kakko.

The only thing you and I disagree about is Hughes versus Kakko. I still think Hughes is better. I still think Kakko is a very, very good winger, while Hughes has the potential to be one of the top centermen in the league.

"OK, but analysts compare Hughes to Kane and Gaudreau and they think he might be a winger." Are these the same analysts you were saying we shouldn't trust because it's obviously in their best interests to push Hughes as a generational player?

"Dude, Hughes has no points in this tournament." Aren't you the same person who's said people put too much stock in international tournaments?

"Look, I'm just saying there's a good chance Hughes' game won't translate to the NHL." Zegras is essentially the same player with the same strengths and the same weaknesses and you love him. (So do I, for the record. And he's who I have the Wings taking at 6.)

"I love him at #6, not #1." And who do you love at #1?

"Kakko." Cool, so this is a boring "Who should go first overall, Player A or Player B?" discussion.

"I'm just saying Corey Pronman said something that echoed what I said before Corey Pronman said it." Cool.

Honestly, at this point, I don't care about Hughes or Kakko, because neither one's gonna be a Wing. If we're gonna be arguing about players, let's argue about ones that could be available at 6.

Like this ^^^^^^^^^

Or worse?

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

And so is Jack Hughes.  He's the Garry Kasparov of the Hockey world.  Mark it. 

Honestly, I hope so. Because f*** the Devils and f*** the Rangers. I want nothing more than for our guy to outshine both Hughes and Kakko, whether it's Zegras or Turcotte or Cozens or Dach or Podkolzin or Byram or Boldy or Krebs.

EDIT: Oh, I misread you. Garry Kasparov is a chess master. I see what you did there. I thought Kasparov was some colossal disappointment or something.

I hope Hughes and Kakko become nothing players. I want nothing but failure for our enemies and nothing but success for the Wings.

Edited by Dabura

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Chicago needs Byram so bad, he's as good as gone as the top 2 picks this year.  This draft starts becoming a guessing game at pick #4.

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Cozens

Dach

That probably lands us Turcotte.

I'd take Turcotte in a heart beat

@krsmith17 @ChristopherReevesLegs

Inflammatory rhetoric/hyperbole aside...

1.  I saw alot of Zadina in Jr.  I observed a one dimensional player who sacrificed defence and his responsibilities defensively for offence.  I did not think his game would translate well to the pro leagues.  I stand by that assessment 100% and his numbers this year back that up.   Will he learn a more complete game maybe??  Will he lose offence in the process almost certainly. 

2.  In the lead up to the draft I was terrified we'd have Zadina "fall into our lap" I felt the Wings would draft him and that it would be a huge mistake (see above).  I believe we should have used that pick on Dobson, Bouchard or Hughes... whichever we felt was the better pick.  We'd fill the most prominent need in our organization.... a need that has existed since Lidstrom retired.

3.  I think people who are expecting the next Brett Hull, Mitch Marner, etc will be very, bitterly disappointed.  I agree with @ChristopherReevesLegs assessment that Zadina will play in the league, he'll be a top 6/9 forward but will fill role that a player we could have drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round would have.

4.  I think Zadina will be a bust relative to the expectations we have of a #6 pick with all the attached hype hes had.  If you were hoping for a one dimensional,  defensive liability, who may or may not put up points you'll be satisfied and won't use the bust label.  If you're expecting Kucherov 2.0, it's not happening.

Juxtaposing that vs a potential #1 top pair D, I think we wasted that pick last year.

‐----‐‐----‐--------------------

If Byram was available at 4, would you trade for that pick?  What would you give up?

I'd trade #6, 2019 2nd and a 2020 2nd.

I'd be willing to go as far as #6 plus a lottery protected 1st in 2020/2021

Edited by mackel

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Chicago needs Byram so bad, he's as good as gone as the top 2 picks this year.  This draft starts becoming a guessing game at pick #4.

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Cozens

Dach

That probably lands us Turcotte.

I'm not so sure Byram is a lock to go to the hawks. I wouldn't be surprised at all, but they've drafted five defenseman in the first two rounds over the last three years. They could easily like him the most at 3, but they could just as easily like one of the centers imo. 

That said, Byram does seem destined to go top 5 no matter what. Unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, mackel said:

1.  I saw alot of Zadina in Jr.  I observed a one dimensional player who sacrificed defence and his responsibilities defensively for offence.  I did not think his game would translate well to the pro leagues.  I stand by that assessment 100% and his numbers this year back that up.   Will he learn a more complete game maybe??  Will he lose offence in the process almost certainly. 

2.  In the lead up to the draft I was terrified we'd have Zadina "fall into our lap" I felt the Wings would draft him and that it would be a huge mistake (see above).  I believe we should have used that pick on Dobson, Bouchard or Hughes... whichever we felt was the better pick.  We'd fill the most prominent need in our organization.... a need that has existed since Lidstrom retired.

3.  I think people who are expecting the next Brett Hull, Mitch Marner, etc will be very, bitterly disappointed.  I agree with @ChristopherReevesLegs assessment that Zadina will play in the league, he'll be a top 6/9 forward but will fill role that a player we could have drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round would have.

4.  I think Zadina will be a bust relative to the expectations we have of a #6 pick with all the attached hype hes had.  If you were hoping for a one dimensional,  defensive liability, who may or may not put up points you'll be satisfied and won't use the bust label.  If you're expecting Kucherov 2.0, it's not happening.

Juxtaposing that vs a potential #1 top pair D, I think we wasted that pick last year.

If Byram was available at 4, would you trade for that pick?  What would you give up?

Man there’s a lot of bs in there 

zadina will be a 2nd-3rd rounder when we look back , most drafts first don’t have 60-90 guys come out and have significant careers , unless you think zadina will be a guy who plays 120 games and vanishes back to Europe which is again more bs

who the f*** in here is comparing him to kucherov 2.0?  bs 

As for byram I think it’s a pipe dream now and time to think of other options, we might not get the top dman we wanted at 6 but we can trade up to dallas’s 18 or caps 25 and gun for someone good , or just get some good d’s in the second round, hronek was one as was Weber,subban etc.... at this point if a team at 3 or 4 are really high on byram they wont go back

26 minutes ago, amato said:

I'm not so sure Byram is a lock to go to the hawks. I wouldn't be surprised at all, but they've drafted five defenseman in the first two rounds over the last three years. They could easily like him the most at 3, but they could just as easily like one of the centers imo. 

They can take him at #3 and trade boqvist for forward help or who even knows maybe trade him to edm or whomever and take like a boldy at #8 , something like that but I think byram is gone at 3-4

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

6 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

zadina will be a 2nd-3rd rounder when we look back , most drafts first don’t have 60-90 guys come out and have significant careers , unless you think zadina will be a guy who plays 120 games and vanishes back to Europe which is again more bs

As for byram I think it’s a pipe dream now and time to think of other options, we might not get the top dman we wanted at 6 but we can trade up to dallas’s 18 or caps 25 and gun for someone good , or just get some good d’s in the second round, hronek was one as was Weber,subban etc.... at this point if a team at 3 or 4 are really high on byram they wont go back

They can take him at #3 and trade boqvist for forward help or who even knows maybe trade him to edm or whomever and take like a boldy at #8 , something like that but I think byram is gone at 3-4

I agree :confused: 

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Yes in my opinion Zadina will be a player of the caliber you could draft in the 2nd or 3rd round... that isn't BS it's my projection.  I think you heed to go back and look at players selected in past drafts, your argument is incoherent.

Many people here feel he's going to be elite, elite... and I've read on numerous occasions that Kucherov didn't have an easy start to his NA pro career, which IS comparing Zadina to Kucherov.

57 minutes ago, mackel said:

Yes in my opinion Zadina will be a player of the caliber you could draft in the 2nd or 3rd round... that isn't BS it's my projection.  I think you heed to go back and look at players selected in past drafts, your argument is incoherent.

Many people here feel he's going to be elite, elite... and I've read on numerous occasions that Kucherov didn't have an easy start to his NA pro career, which IS comparing Zadina to Kucherov.

Your projection,opinion are idiotic 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

36 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Your projection,opinion are idiotic 

Wow great point... I'm totally won over... if you can't post anything other than insults towards those you disagree with, you're not worth talking to.

8 hours ago, mackel said:

@krsmith17 @ChristopherReevesLegs

You didn't want Hughes, that sounds like hindsight drafting to me. Also Dobson and Bouchard didn't exactly light up their junior leagues this past season and don't look NHL ready at all, why aren't they busts relative to their draft positions? You thought the Islanders won the draft, but Wahlstrom had a worse year than Zadina, in a worse league. 

Brett Hull and Mitch Marner are two extremely different players, neither of which I would've used to describe Zadina. What does this even mean?

16 hours ago, amato said:

Yeah, I have Turcotte going to Chicago. Definitely could make an argument for him being the top center available at 3, local kid, similar play style to Toews, who's now 31 years old. Bowman has also said that he'd like to draft a center. A lot can change though and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they take Byram... or Cozens, or Dach, or Podkolzin, or...

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I have Turcotte going to Chicago. Definitely could make an argument for him being the top center available at 3, local kid, similar play style to Toews, who's now 31 years old. Bowman has also said that he'd like to draft a center. A lot can change though and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they take Byram... or Cozens, or Dach, or Podkolzin, or...

I'm telling you to book Byram to Chicago.  I've heard things...

16 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

You didn't want Hughes, that sounds like hindsight drafting to me. Also Dobson and Bouchard didn't exactly light up their junior leagues this past season and don't look NHL ready at all, why aren't they busts relative to their draft positions? You thought the Islanders won the draft, but Wahlstrom had a worse year than Zadina, in a worse league. 

Brett Hull and Mitch Marner are two extremely different players, neither of which I would've used to describe Zadina. What does this even mean?

Do you even read a post before bitching about it?  I said at the time of the draft I felt they should draft a D.  They would have drafted the one they ranked highest of the D available.  I'd have gone Dobson/Bouchard over Hughes (personally) that much you got right.  Dobson is a playing quite well and making a push for back to back Mem cups.  I've not paid any attention to Hughes or Bouchard since the draft.

Hull, Marner and Kucherov are star players (wingers)... that's the link (clearly you missed it)... I don't think Zadina will be a star winger... I think he'll be a serviceable top 6/9 winger.