No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Favorite player growing up: Amanda Kessell

vs.

Fav player growing up: Slava Voynov

”Everybody has been great to me and I’m just trying to play responsible in all three zones and find my teammates out there.”

vs

”Take puck. Make score”

13 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

”Everybody has been great to me and I’m just trying to play responsible in all three zones and find my teammates out there.”

vs

”Take puck. Make score”

Gets dropped off at practice by his MILF suburban stay-at-home mom in a fully loaded 2019 Cadillac Escalade

vs.

Gets dropped off by his uncle Gregor, who will die if his BAC drops below 1%, in a soviet era Lada they had to push start

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Maybe we draft this guy

Struble-Combine-1-02010422.png?fit=1000,

I was thinking this yesterday too after looking at some of the combine results. I'm not sure how much his testing will affect his draft position, but last I checked he was supposed to go somewhere in the middle of the second round. Do you take him early in the second?

disclaimer: I know zero things about the guy outside of his apparent physical prowess.

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

I think I'm pretty solidly down with Zegras.

There's so little separating these players that I'm cool with drafting for perceived need, and I believe Zegras has the potential to fill a role that's virtually impossible to fill (absent any dumb luck): Datsyukian Madman Playmaker Guy. These post-Datsyuk seasons have really made me appreciate just how much The Magic Man's ability to pull gamebreaking magic out of his ass on a nightly basis meant to all those great Euro Twins Era teams. If you can get yourself a forward who can see and think and execute like an Elias Pettersson, life becomes so much easier for your team. And if that guy is legit centerman? Hosanna!

Two players in this draft class truly remind me of Datsyuk at times: Zegras and Podkolzin. Podkolzin has all of Datsyuk's assets except for maybe that galaxy brain hockey IQ. With Zegras, I strongly believe he does have that kind of hockey sense and I feel that the other areas of his game are generally solid. Above-average two-way game. Fantastic skater. Low-key scrappy. Good at faceoffs. I don't like his shot (any and all of them), but I think that'll improve as he bulks up.

...On the other hand, Podkolzin is so frking projectable. hnnnng

Totally with you. IMO he's got the highest chance of becoming an elite talent of all the guys that'll likely be available to us, and like you said I believe he fills a need for us.  

I'm really back and forth on Podkolzin, I honestly have no idea what to think of him at this point. 

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

IDK it's basically ugly abrasive Russian versus good looking sensitive North American

AKA Ovi v. Crosby

Which kinda player do we need more of?

The one who's not a crybaby, diving, d-bag.

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Maybe we draft this guy

Struble-Combine-1-02010422.png?fit=1000,

So his right hand grip is stronger than his left hand grip. Hmmmm. Do they test for blindness?

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The one who's not a crybaby, diving, d-bag.

So his right hand grip is stronger than his left hand grip. Hmmmm. Do they test for blindness?

Remember when the right wing had no sense of humor?

All of your humor has become ours silly commie halfwits

*manic laughing*

To me, a nightmare scenario would be if Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, and Zegras were the first five players off the board.  I guess Dach would be a decent consolation prize there, but I wouldn't be thrilled.  I've really soured on Cozens over the course of the year.  Admittedly because scouting reports have consistently criticized his skill level (while lauding his physical tools), and not because I've watched him a lot or anything.  I actually liked our position a lot more when Podkolzin was still the presumptive 3rd pick.  At this point my list is as follows:

T1: Zegras

T1: Byram

2: Turcotte

3: Dach

T4: Krebs

T4: Newhook

5: Cozens

We'll definitely land one of then, but I'd HIGHLY prefer it be one of the top 3.  So here's hoping one of Chicago, Los Angeles, or Colorado likes Dach, Cozens, or Podkolzin more than I do.

Edited by kipwinger

I like Zegras a lot too. I think for me it's:

1. Byram 

2. Zegras 

3. Turcotte 

4. Caufield 

5. Podkolzin 

That said, I'm starting to feel more and more like we should trade back. Ideally, trade back 2-4 spots, still get one of these guys, and trade back into the bottom of the first round. 

Edited by amato

Just now, amato said:

I like Zegras a lot too. I think for me it's:

1. Byram 

2. Zegras 

3. Turcotte 

4. Caufield 

5. Podkolzin 

That said, I'm starting to feel more and more like we should trade back. Ideally, trade back 2-4 spots, still get one of these guys, and trade back into the bottom of the first round. 

I'm open to a trade back if Zegras, Turcotte, and Byram are all off the board by 6.  If any one of them remains an option then you take it.  But I don't think there's a big enough difference between the rest for me to care about too much.  Provided we take a center.  I'm not nuts about Podkolzin or Caufield, not because of their talent necessarily but because I think we're already stacked on the wing between Mantha, Bert, AA, Zadina, Berggren, Rasmussen, and Svech.  Our center depth remains our biggest weakness.  Even if Veleno becomes a solid 2C (which still remains to be seen) who plays 3C for us?  Nielsen?  Woof.  I'd feel WAY better going forward with Larkin, Veleno, and any of Zegras, Turcotte, Dach, Cozens, Krebs, or Newhook. 

28 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

To me, a nightmare scenario would be if Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, and Zegras were the first five players off the board.  I guess Dach would be a decent consolation prize there, but I wouldn't be thrilled.  I've really soured on Cozens over the course of the year.  Admittedly because scouting reports have consistently criticized his skill level (while lauding his physical tools), and not because I've watched him a lot or anything.  I actually liked our position a lot more when Podkolzin was still the presumptive 3rd pick.  At this point my list is as follows:

T1: Zegras

T1: Byram

2: Turcotte

3: Dach

T4: Krebs

T4: Newhook

5: Cozens

We'll definitely land one of then, but I'd HIGHLY prefer it be one of the top 3.  So here's hoping one of Chicago, Los Angeles, or Colorado likes Dach, Cozens, or Podkolzin more than I do.

I watched Cozens a lot this year. Lethbridge was a weird team because the team was decent but their goalies sucked. There were a lot of games where they allowed like 3 goals and the entire morale of the team seemed shattered. Like they were just waiting to get to the lockerroom.

Cozens impressed me with his size and physical maturity for a young kid. But he never really left me saying "holy s*** this kid is gonna be good". Part of me thinks he's simply an early bloomer and that's why he's impressed so much, another part of me thinks he has an amazing tool box that he hasn't fully utilized yet.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I watched Cozens a lot this year. Lethbridge was a weird team because the team was decent but their goalies sucked. There were a lot of games where they allowed like 3 goals and the entire morale of the team seemed shattered. Like they were just waiting to get to the lockerroom.

Cozens impressed me with his size and physical maturity for a young kid. But he never really left me saying "holy s*** this kid is gonna be good". Part of me thinks he's simply an early bloomer and that's why he's impressed so much, another part of me thinks he has an amazing tool box that he hasn't fully utilized yet.

Seems to be in line with what a lot of other people are saying.  His size and speed made him elite at that level, and might make him NHL ready soon, but his skill level just isn't as high as the other top end guys. 

Which is another reason why I like Zegras so much.  He helps you at center a lot, but his skill level also is a huge asset on the powerplay.  And we desperately need to improve on the PP.  We basically had three 30 goal scorers (I'm including Mantha because he was on pace to hit 30 until...durrrr...old time hockey!) and had one of the league's worst powerplays.  Improve that and you're talking about a BUNCH more offense for those top guys.  Zegras has that ability.  Maybe Turcotte, Krebs, Dach, and Newhook too.  I just don't see it from Cozens though.  He's not really that set up guy we need.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

Seems to be in line with what a lot of other people are saying.  His size and speed made him elite at that level, and might make him NHL ready soon, but his skill level just isn't as high as the other top end guys.

I haven't read too much about him, but if that's what they're saying I'd agree. He's a physical specimen, but his ceiling might lower than some of the other guys out there.

9 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I haven't read too much about him, but if that's what they're saying I'd agree. He's a physical specimen, but his ceiling might lower than some of the other guys out there.

Yeah, that's the most consistent criticism I read on Cozens. But it's essentially the biggest weakness of a player with essentially no weaknesses.  With top of the draft picks I tend to temper a lot of what I read in scouting reports because it's important to remember the nature of the comparison.  You're essentially comparing REALLY good players with each other in an effort to rank order them, so things like floors and ceilings tend to get thrown out the window for more quantifiable things.  When people say Dach is "slow" or Cozens has "less skill" it's only in relation to each other.  Dach is probably a really good skater, just not compared to Hughes or Cozens.  Cozens' playmaking is fine, just not compared to Hughes or Zegras or Turcotte.  It's a little bit of minutiae, but it gets amplified at the top of the draft.  And it gets amplified a million more times at the NHL level when every player is really good. 

Edit: As an aside, this same basic dynamic is why Matt Stafford is ultimately a s***ty quarterback.  All of his flaws in decision making, arm slot, throwing off his back foot, throwing into coverage, etc. are fine when he's feasting on garbage NFC central defenses.  But in the playoffs, when every team is good, those flaws get amplified by a million and he can't manage a game, convert on 3rd down, or avoid turnovers. 

Edited by kipwinger

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Remember when the right wing had no sense of humor?

All of your humor has become ours silly commie halfwits

*manic laughing*

We've always had a great sense of humor over here. Unfortunately, the other side was too busy crying, marching, name calling, and being offended to notice.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:37 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

We've always had a great sense of humor over here. Unfortunately, the other side was too busy crying, marching, name calling, and being offended to notice.

If we draft Cozens in a few weeks - do we nickname him 'Cooze'?

:tounge2:

With Podkolzin the KHL is too big a risk at 6.  He's under contract for 2 years, so the Wings will have zero control over his development, and barring a financial collapse of the KHL, he could be tempte to stay there for another 2-3 years making more money than he could on an entry level deal in the NHL.

Caulfield looks like a hell of a player, but guys his size don't always hold up well injury wise.

I'd be tempted to trade up and make sure I get Byram, or trade back a few and take Broberg

2 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

With Podkolzin the KHL is too big a risk at 6.  He's under contract for 2 years, so the Wings will have zero control over his development, and barring a financial collapse of the KHL, he could be tempte to stay there for another 2-3 years making more money than he could on an entry level deal in the NHL.

Caulfield looks like a hell of a player, but guys his size don't always hold up well injury wise.

I'd be tempted to trade up and make sure I get Byram, or trade back a few and take Broberg

Broberg sucks. 

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

But is he lazy?

Probably.  He's not ranked in the top 10 so I presume he's lazy AND he sucks. 

Just like LGW to want Yzerman to trade back and draft the Swedish Jay Bouwmeester.  If Holland drafted that guy instead of BPA people would want to lynch him.

11 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Probably.  He's not ranked in the top 10 so I presume he's lazy AND he sucks. 

Just like LGW to want Yzerman to trade back and draft the Swedish Jay Bouwmeester.  If Holland drafted that guy instead of BPA people would want to lynch him.

Probably

I'm pretty much chaotic neutral about the draft. If the scouts think Broberg is BPA or whatever, I'm fine with it.
That said, I love a good reach by management in the eyes of fans. Draft day drama is 2nd to none.

54 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Probably

I'm pretty much chaotic neutral about the draft. If the scouts think Broberg is BPA or whatever, I'm fine with it.
That said, I love a good reach by management in the eyes of fans. Draft day drama is 2nd to none.

I'm just looking forward to all the milfs in the audience.

Corey Pronman just released his mock first round, and I think most would be happy if things play out the way he sees it...

1. NJD - Hughes
2. NYR - Kakko
3. CHI - Turcotte
4. COL - Byram
5. LAK - Dach
6. DET - Zegras

"I’ve heard Zegras, Dach and Vasili Podkolzin rumored to Detroit. It makes sense given Steve Yzerman’s preference for drafting skill, as well as how little hesitance he shows for drafting Russians. There was skepticism talking to sources at the combine about Zegras being Detroit’s pick, but enough people have pegged him there that I’ll go with that one."

I don't think there's any chance Byram or Turcotte fall to 6, and I'd be more than okay with Zegras or Cozens or even Dach or Caufield...