• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, HoweFan said:

Of all the guys being mentioned for us at six I really hope we stay away from Zegras and Caufield.  I can’t see anyone gambling on a 5’6” forward early. Turcotte and Byrum won’t be there. It’s a choice between Dach, Cozins, and Pod

Zegras is 6 foot. 

4 hours ago, HoweFan said:

Of all the guys being mentioned for us at six I really hope we stay away from Zegras and Caufield.  I can’t see anyone gambling on a 5’6” forward early. Turcotte and Byrum won’t be there. It’s a choice between Dach, Cozins, and Pod

Funny enough, those are the two I might be leaning toward if the draft were to go, Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Cozens, Byram...

4 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Why do I get a feeling this will be Red Wings pick?

I would say it's because he's a throwback to old-school Russian/Euro hockey, i.e. the kind of player we won our last four Cups with. Despite being so young (doesn't turn 18 until two days after the draft), he plays like he was raised on Bowman and Babcock Red Wings hockey. We can be sure that isn't lost on Yzerman, Draper, Verbeek, et al.

https://expo.mlive.com/sports/g66l-2019/02/5de2e19fd77307/top-10-players-who-could-be-available-to-red-wings-in-2019-draft.html

Draper described Podkolzin, who has played in many international tournaments, as an ultra-competitive player who wants to do everything the right way.

“At World Juniors, the coach even used him in penalty-kill situations, which is rare for a 17-year-old kid for Team Russia, but it shows how responsible this player is,” Draper said. “He has an edge. He was kicked out of a game last week in Russia. He is a very competitive kid, wants to score goals, make plays. Has good touch on the power play, really knows how to protect the puck.”

Podkolzin has that “old-school European strength on the puck,” Draper said.

“He has a real heavy stick, he’s good in tight spaces and certainly thrives being around the competitive areas,” Draper said. “He’s a prospect that very rarely off the rush is going to accept being pushed to the outside and not driving to the net. He just wants to make a power move to the net and he’s going to win those one-on-one battles.”

I'd also add that the NHL is a copycat league and if Ryan O'Reilly and Vladimir Tarasenko had a baby, it would be Podkolzin.

14 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I would say it's because he's a throwback to old-school Russian/Euro hockey, i.e. the kind of player we won our last four Cups with. Despite being so young (doesn't turn 18 until two days after the draft), he plays like he was raised on Bowman and Babcock Red Wings hockey. We can be sure that isn't lost on Yzerman, Draper, Verbeek, et al.

https://expo.mlive.com/sports/g66l-2019/02/5de2e19fd77307/top-10-players-who-could-be-available-to-red-wings-in-2019-draft.html

I'd also add that the NHL is a copycat league and if Ryan O'Reilly and Vladimir Tarasenko had a baby, it would be Podkolzin.

32xjgn.jpg

Edited by F.Michael

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

If it's the same worry you had about Zadina last year, I'd take him...

Nah, seriously though, I'm not too high on Podkolzin either. I wouldn't hate if we picked him at 6, but in my opinion there are better options available...

I could see Yzerman taking Caufield. He's shown a willingness to take high skill diminutive forwards in the past. I wouldn't hate that pick to be honest...

It's tangentially related to last year's pick actually.... I watched Zadina, didn't like what I saw at all.  I think that was a miss, I've not been shy on that point as you know.  

Then I read (no first hand knowledge) about Podkolzin being boom or bust and think... it could be two misses at #6 in back to back years...  

51 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Hes this years Zadina

I think this is pretty accurate in the sense that people were way too bullish on both of them early on and then people were maybe a little too bearish on them in the lead-up to the draft.

FWIW, I would say 2019 Podkolzin > 2018 Zadina. Podkolzin's club stats were blah this season, but he jumped around between different leagues and never really settled down. (Also, again, he's really young.) I suspect that if he'd spent this season in, say, the QMJHL, he probably would've wrecked shop.

Edited by Dabura

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Y'all be knockin' my sophisticated NHL genetics model, but it's rooted in hard science and it gets the point across real simple-like.

The movie 'Eastern Promises' (awesome movie btw) 'Nikolai' (Viggo Mortensen) has a quote 'slaves give birth to slaves'...Thought it would be fitting considering your quote, and the fact Podkolzin being a Ruskie :lol:

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

The movie 'Eastern Promises' (awesome movie btw) 'Nikolai' (Viggo Mortensen) has a quote 'slaves give birth to slaves'...Thought it would be fitting considering your quote, and the fact Podkolzin being a Ruskie :lol:

Oh, don't worry, I got all that. And I chuckled. :D

Trying to think which former Russian NHL’er Podkolzin might emulate based on the description provided by Draper...

Initially thought Nemchinov, but while looking up his stats he was always a 40 sumthin pts guy.

Then while researching I was shocked to see that Kovalev had amassed 1029 pts along with 1304 pen min.

Edited by F.Michael

25 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Trying to think which former Russian NHL’er Podkolzin might emulate based on the description provided by Draper...

Initially thought Nemchinov, but while looking up his stats he was always a 40 to 50 sumthin pats guy.

Then while researching I was shocked to see that Kovalev had amassed 1029 pts along with 1304 pen min.

Forget which former Pen said it, but somebody said Kovalev woulda had double those points if he actually tried. Dude never trained hard and could get lazy on the ice too (probably why so many PIM). He was just so talented he could get by doing the bare minimum and still amass 1000 pts in a career.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Forget which former Pen said it, but somebody said Kovalev woulda had double those points if he actually tried. Dude never trained hard and could get lazy on the ice too (probably why so many PIM). He was just so talented he could get by doing the bare minimum and still amass 1000 pts in a career.

Yeah - I recall reading sumthin similar...Could've been another Fedorov, or possibly better if he gave 2 $hits.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

His signature stick was called the AK27 though which is pretty fuqqin badass

Good things he's retired then. It would've been banned soon.

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Wings were gonna offer both Zubov and Kovelev, but Yzerman said he didnt want any more non-English first speakers.

Xenophobe

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Automatic Kovalev #27

I think AK27 was for Alexei Kovalev 27. That said, it would have been cool if he wore #47. Then he could have been called AK-47 and it would have worked even better since the Kalashnikovs are also Russian.