• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

43 minutes ago, mackel said:

Would he ever slip to us early in the 2nd as a result?

He'd been rising lately. Still a fair chance of going top 10, and I'd be shocked if he falls out of the top 20. I'd still give him serious consideration at 6 if Turcotte, Zegras, and Byram are gone.

Edited by Buppy

23 minutes ago, Buppy said:

He'd been rising lately. Still a fair chance of going top 10, and I'd be shocked if he falls out of the top 20. I'd still give him serious consideration at 6 if Turcotte, Zegras, and Byram are gone.

Yeah, I'm thinking 18-20 at the *absolute* latest. I suppose you could point to Veleno's slide as a precedent, but I think there's more HYPE! surrounding Krebs. I'm a big fan of his, so I'm biased, but I do think the HYPE! is warranted.

42 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Yeah, I'm thinking 18-20 at the *absolute* latest. I suppose you could point to Veleno's slide as a precedent, but I think there's more HYPE! surrounding Krebs. I'm a big fan of his, so I'm biased, but I do think the HYPE! is warranted.

I think there was more hype and for longer on Veleno than Krebs. Veleno was considered a potential top 5 / top 3 pick for a couple years leading up to the draft. Even months, weeks, days before the draft, he was considered a top 10-15 pick by most. It really is amazing that he slipped all the way to 30, and I think a lot of teams are going to regret not taking him in a few years time.

28 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I think there was more hype and for longer on Veleno than Krebs. Veleno was considered a potential top 5 / top 3 pick for a couple years leading up to the draft. Even months, weeks, days before the draft, he was considered a top 10-15 pick by most. It really is amazing that he slipped all the way to 30, and I think a lot of teams are going to regret not taking him in a few years time.

Fair points.

You could make the case that Krebs is just as likely to slip to 30 as Veleno was. I just feel like Krebs has (had?) built up a bit more momentum and buzz in the lead-up to his respective draft. He made a pretty big statement at the U18 WJC. Feels like he is/was peaking at just the right time.

15 hours ago, Buppy said:

Top 31 - Summary of 13 of the latest prospect rankings. From http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/ (left out the NHLCS split lists for obvious reasons, and the Draft Analyst list from April on accident)

Top31s Top10s High Low Avg
1 Jack Hughes 13 13 1 1 1.0
2 Kaapo Kakko 13 13 2 2 2.0
3 Bowen Byram 13 13 3 10 4.2
4 Alex Turcotte 13 13 3 10 4.5
5 Trevor Zegras 13 12 5 12 7.2
6 Kirby Dach 13 11 3 12 7.5
7 Dylan Cozens 13 10 4 14 8.1
8 Vasili Podkolzin 13 9 4 18 8.6
9 Peyton Krebs 13 9 6 13 9.0
10 Matthew Boldy 13 9 5 15 9.1
11 Cole Caufield 13 7 4 13 9.2
12 Philip Broberg 13 5 7 21 13.5
13 Alex Newhook 13 1 9 19 14.2
14 Cam York 13 1 9 22 15.1
15 Victor Soderstrom 13 2 8 28 16.2
16 Thomas Harley 13 0 11 29 19.1
17 Raphael Lavoie 13 0 14 31 20.2
18 Ryan Suzuki 13 0 14 29 20.8
19 Moritz Seider 12 2 9 OFF 17.8
20 Arthur Kaliyev 12 0 12 OFF 18.3
21 Bobby Brink 10 0 13 OFF 20.0
22 Ville Heinola 9 0 14 OFF 20.0
23 Philip Tomasino 9 0 17 OFF 20.9
24 Nils Hoglander 9 0 18 OFF 24.3
25 Samuel Poulin 9 0 23 OFF 26.0
26 Connor McMichael 8 0 22 OFF 26.9
27 Spencer Knight 7 0 15 OFF 21.4
28 Jakob Pelletier 7 0 14 OFF 24.0
29 Nicholas Robertson 7 0 18 OFF 26.6
30 Matthew Robertson 7 0 19 OFF 26.7
31 Tobias Bjornfot 6 0 19 OFF 26.0

Following this list, I'd draft Cozens at 6 and then figure out a way to trade in to the bottom 5 there and take Spencer Knight. But who knows, G's don't usually go in the 1st, so we may be able to get him with our 2nd.

Hughes and Kakko will go 1-2 - 100%.

Byram and Turcotte will go top 5 - 95%.

That other top 5 pick could be any number of guys, but I think it will end up being one of Dach or Cozens.

There's a reasonably high chance that Zegras could be available at 6, and if he is, I think he will be Yzerman's pick.

A lot of people seem to think that Zegras could have the most raw skill in the draft outside of Hughes. Could end up being a huge steal at 6 if he's available there...

17 hours ago, mackel said:

Would he ever slip to us early in the 2nd as a result?

16 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I think he'll slip, but not that far...

These were my first two thoughts almost immediately. 

Wouldn't mind trading back into the first if he goes on a Veleno type slide.

I can’t see Krebs going on the top ten now. It’s too serious of an injury for teams who have to draft well to take a chance. So how far will he fall. I could see Colorado at 16 taking him after taking Byrum at 4. Montreal just before them maybe. Maybe Vegas will take a gamble. Forgive my pun.   I think he will go to a team who is already good.  

At one at the start of the year he was a bit of a secret. I was hoping for him in round two. At six I think it’s a bit of a reach. If we want a dman that bad I’d rather have Broberg.  Oh well I think Seider will become a very good nhl player. I would be happier with him than Zegras

59 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

At one at the start of the year he was a bit of a secret. I was hoping for him in round two. At six I think it’s a bit of a reach. If we want a dman that bad I’d rather have Broberg.  Oh well I think Seider will become a very good nhl player. I would be happier with him than Zegras

• Dman. Just turned 18. 6'4", 207 lbs. Shoots right.
  • Spent his draft year playing in a men's pro league at 17 years old. Finished the season playing top 4 minutes.
  • Won the league championship with that team (5 assists in 14 playoff games)
  • Captained the German world junior team at 17 in a tourney for 19 year olds, where they earned advancement to the main group next year (1 goal and 5 assists in 5 WJ games). Named the best Dman of the tournament.
  • Plays in all situations
  • No weaknesses, but lacks elite level skill
  • Praised for poise and veteran style play
  • Like Pietrangelo, big mobile and smart

Sign me up. I'm a Seider guy.

Could be argued Seider is the best dman in the draft not named Bowen Byram.

Broberg has the elite level skill that Seider doesn't have, but Broberg also disappears for long stretches and makes serious defensive lapses. Seider might lowkey be one of the most NHL ready prospects as well.

If Yzerman wants a D...

1. Byram
2. Seider
3. Broberg
4. York
5. Soderstrom

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

you forgot to mention that Seider played 5 games at the WC against NHLers and played real strong. Stayed very calm,

very good decision making and awareness, hard to get off the puck. The first 18 year old d-man to score two goals at a WC in more than 40 years. He is a down to earth guy, knowing about his strenghts and weaknesses.

1 hour ago, ely s said:

you forgot to mention that Seider played 5 games at the WC against NHLers and played real strong. Stayed very calm,

very good decision making and awareness, hard to get off the puck. The first 18 year old d-man to score two goals at a WC in more than 40 years. He is a down to earth guy, knowing about his strenghts and weaknesses.

Thanks deutsche bro

> efficient decision making
> mature for his age (no sense of humor)

Yup, he's German alright

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If Yzerman wants a D...

1. Byram
2. Seider
3. Broberg
4. York
5. Soderstrom

One of the prevailing narratives about this draft class is that it's mostly bereft of marquee defensemen. Maybe there's some truth to that, but I feel like people are kinda sleeping on a whole bunch of very good defensemen, any one of whom could easily end up being better than Byram. There's the aforementioned Moritz Seider, Philip Broberg, Cam York, Victor Soderstrom, and I think Thomas Harley, Ville Heinola, Lassi Thomson, et al. could also be included in that discussion.

Do I take one of those guys at 6? ...Prob'ly not.

But, hey, suppose we actually pull off a trade-down with Philly along the lines of what I proposed a few days ago...

• Trade our 2019 1st (6OA) + Trevor Daley (retaining 50% of his salary) to PHI for PHI's 2019 1st (11OA) + Travis Konecny's rights

Then take a defenseman at 11.

And if we want to get really greedy, we can try to brute-force our way into the back third of the 1st round. Tampa? Cool, let's swap with Tampa.

• Trade NYI's 2019 2nd (54OA) + our 2019 3rd (66OA) + SJS's 2020 3rd to TBL for TBL's 2019 1st (27OA) + Taylor Raddysh + Jan Rutta (minor salary dump) + Ryan Callahan (major salary dump)

I'm really high on Philip Tomasino and a lot of people have him going late in the 1st. Personally, I suspect he'll go earlier, but who knows. If he's there at 27 and there isn't a Veleno available, I take him. If he's not there, and if we decide we're going HAM on defense, there's going to be a good Scandinavian defenseman there, e.g. Heinola, Tobias Bjornfot, Mikko Kokkonen. I also like Matthew Robertson.

All of this and we'd still own our 2019 2nd (35OA). Nice.

So, we're looking at something like...

• Travis Konecny, who immediately becomes one of our top two wingers (if only because we have no scoring depth)
  • Philip Broberg (11OA)
  • Tobias Bjornfot (27OA)
  • Mikko Kokkonen (35OA)

Byram is a stud, but loading up with three very solid defensemen would be a pretty nice consolation prize. And I'm not even saying we'd have to take three defensemen with those three picks. All I'm really trying to say is I see opportunity here. The conversation doesn't necessarily have to be "Do we really wanna use the 6th overall pick on a non-Byram defenseman?" Go crazy. Get nuts.

Edited by Dabura

43 minutes ago, Dabura said:

One of the prevailing narratives about this draft class is that it's mostly bereft of marquee defensemen. Maybe there's some truth to that, but I feel like people are kinda sleeping on a whole bunch of very good defensemen, any one of whom could easily end up being better than Byram. There's the aforementioned Moritz Seider, Philip Broberg, Cam York, Victor Soderstrom, and I think Thomas Harley, Ville Heinola, Lassi Thomson, et al. could also be included in that discussion.

But, hey, suppose we actually pull off a trade-down with Philly along the lines of what I proposed a few days ago...

• Trade our 2019 1st (6OA) + Trevor Daley (retaining 50% of his salary) to PHI for PHI's 2019 1st (11OA) + Travis Konecny's rights

And if we want to get really greedy, we can try to brute-force our way into the back third of the 1st round. Tampa? Cool, let's swap with Tampa.

• Trade NYI's 2019 2nd (54OA) + our 2019 3rd (66OA) + SJS's 2020 3rd to TBL for TBL's 2019 1st (27OA) + Taylor Raddysh + Jan Rutta (minor salary dump) + Ryan Callahan (major salary dump)

I'm really high on Philip Tomasino and a lot of people have him going late in the 1st. Personally, I suspect he'll go earlier, but who knows. If he's there at 27 and there isn't a Veleno available, I take him. If he's not there, and if we decide we're going HAM on defense, there's going to be a good Scandinavian defenseman there, e.g. Heinola, Tobias Bjornfot, Mikko Kokkonen. I also like Matthew Robertson.

• Travis Konecny, who immediately becomes one of our top two wingers (if only because we have no scoring depth)
  • Philip Broberg (11OA)
  • Tobias Bjornfot (27OA)
  • Mikko Kokkonen (35OA)

Byram is a stud, but loading up with three very solid defensemen would be a pretty nice consolation prize. And I'm not even saying we'd have to take three defensemen with those three picks. All I'm really trying to say is I see opportunity here. The conversation doesn't necessarily have to be "Do we really wanna use the 6th overall pick on a non-Byram defenseman?" Go crazy. Get nuts.

Why doesn't Philly wanna keep Konecny? /outoftheloop

My hot take prediction on this draft is that Dmen are going to go wayyyy sooner than anyone realizes, and it's gonna start with Byram going #3 to Chicago.

1. Byram - #3
2. Broberg - Top 10
3. Seider - Top 10
4. Harley - Top 15
5. Soderstrom - Top 15
6. York - Top 15
7. Robertson - Top 15
8. Bjornfort - Top 20
9. Heinola - Top 20

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

• Philip Broberg (11OA)
  • Tobias Bjornfot (27OA)
  • Mikko Kokkonen (35OA)

Maybe we'll get lucky and Lassi will come through.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Boy they really are pumping up the Wings media guys with Podkolzin talk. Pods might be our guy.

Tend to agree with Trevor on most takes thou

17 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I think Kenny is ready to beat the s*** outta Art Regner.

Also, does anyone else think it was stupid to sit Cholowski for the first time in his hometown? I'm still a little annoyed about it. 

Cholo shoulda been back in the AHL after 9 games in hindsight

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs