• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

all this talk of our lines, and not one with AA on them.

we need D most importantly. how about we skip the O and if Byram isn't there, trade the #6 for Trouba?

Cuz AA is a better fit on the 3rd line.

6 is too much for a guy who will be available a year from now. I would include on of our 2nds in a deal for Trouba, but nothing higher.

If I were Yzerman I would wait until after the draft to make a deal tho. 1. Can't trade away any 2019 draft picks at that point, and 2, if they luck out and Byram is still there at 6, then I would just wait until next summer and try to sign Trouba without giving up any assets. 

9 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

we need D most importantly. how about we skip the O and if Byram isn't there, trade the #6 for Trouba?

If Trouba were locked up long-term I'd consider it, but no way do you trade the 6th overall pick for a pending UFA. Not to mention one that has been rumored to be interested in coming home for the past few years now. EIther a package involving Green and picks or wait until next offseason.

6 hours ago, Buppy said:

Yeah, they're all long shots, but someone falls almost every year. Those are just the kids at the high end of the range that could fall. Brink seems under the radar a bit, and a lot of rankings have Kaliyev in the 20s (and a couple into the 30s), which seems weird for a kid that scored 50 goals. There's hope. But if not them there'll be another kid considered 1st-round talent there at 35. Quite a few think Leason should go in the first, for example. Hard to get too excited about a kid that didn't do anything in Jrs until he was 20, but could be a good pick.

Yeah, there's no doubt that a guy projected to go in the 1st round will be available at 35, but I just don't see any of those guys being there, especially Tomasino. Kaliyev is a very similar player to Mantha. Elite goal scoring ability with issues in consistency / work ethic. I think he'll be gone in the 15-25 range though. Yeah, Leason is a player I can see maybe being available at 35, and I'd definitely scoop him up there.

58 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

man it would be so nice to have Byram fall to 6. Them sign BOTH Trouba and Krug in 2020. :yowza:

honestly though, what would it take to swap picks with Chicago? Rasmussen? Lindstrom? Cholowski? 

Cholo gets it done for sure.  Probably not the other guys.  I stay put if im stevie.

Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings for anybody who's interested:

https://www.tsn.ca/americans-set-to-dominate-first-round-of-the-nhl-draft-1.1323878

Edit:  Bob's got Brayden Tracey at 36, which is pretty interesting.  Kid had a really solid year in the WHL and put up some nice numbers.  Definitely a name I hadn't heard up to this point. 

Edited by kipwinger

11 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Ya I seen that last night had to shut it off after a few minutes lol I just couldn’t get through it 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings for anybody who's interested:

https://www.tsn.ca/americans-set-to-dominate-first-round-of-the-nhl-draft-1.1323878

Edit:  Bob's got Brayden Tracey at 36, which is pretty interesting.  Kid had a really solid year in the WHL and put up some nice numbers.  Definitely a name I hadn't heard up to this point. 

I think he has a shot of being a first rd pick along with beecher , a ton of kids to like this draft 

To be honest I don't really care who we take at 35.  I just want one of Zegras or Dach at 6th and I'm happy.  Larkin, Zegras/Dach, Veleno, and Glendening down the middle with some combination of Bert, Mantha, AA, Zadina, Svech, Rasmussen, Hirose, and Berggren on the wings is a nasty forward group going forward. 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

To be honest I don't really care who we take at 35.  I just want one of Zegras or Dach at 6th and I'm happy.  Larkin, Zegras/Dach, Veleno, and Glendening down the middle with some combination of Bert, Mantha, AA, Zadina, Svech, Rasmussen, Hirose, and Berggren on the wings is a nasty forward group going forward. 

Was thinking about this yesterday. Even if we assume Berggren, Hirose, Rasmussen, Svechnikov don't amount to much/anything, we're still looking at a potential top six of Athanasiou, Larkin, Mantha, Veleno, Zadina, Zegras/Dach/[insert forward of your choice]. And that's without any big UFA signings or big trade acquisitions.

23 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Was thinking about this yesterday. Even if we assume Berggren, Hirose, Rasmussen, Svechnikov don't amount to much/anything, we're still looking at a potential top six of Athanasiou, Larkin, Mantha, Veleno, Zadina, Zegras/Dach/[insert forward of your choice]. And that's without any big UFA signings or big trade acquisitions.

Our top 6 isn’t the problem , it’s the rest of the lineup lol ... we need an elite Dman or 2 and we really need larsson and/or eliasson to pan out 

23 minutes ago, Dabura said:

One thing I'm interested in is whether Yzerman will start locking these guys up as RFA's or go the bridge deal route like Holland.  I really don't think you want to do "prove it" deals with each of these  guys and then find you've got to pay them all a bunch of else risk losing them to UFA.  I think I'd go the Dave Poile route and overpay a bit early and hopefully get value on the back end like he did with Josi, Ekholm, and Arvidsson. 

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

man it would be so nice to have Byram fall to 6. Them sign BOTH Trouba and Krug in 2020. :yowza:

honestly though, what would it take to swap picks with Chicago? Rasmussen? Lindstrom? Cholowski? 

Call me crazy, but I would trade Cholowski and 6 to move up to 3 and draft Byram.

35 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Our top 6 isn’t the problem , it’s the rest of the lineup lol ... we need an elite Dman or 2 and we really need larsson and/or eliasson to pan out 

I'm probably in the minority on this, but at this point I think I'm content to just keep adding really good forward pieces and bide our time re: that 1D hole. Yzerman doesn't have an especially good record when it comes to producing high-end defensemen. Maybe that was more on his Tampa scouts and he'll immediately draft some low-key great defensemen as Wings GM -- but I'm assuming we're ultimately gonna end up filling at least one of our top three D slots with a big-name UFA or a big-name trade acquisition (made possible by a surplus of good forwards in our system).

Speaking of surplus...

33 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

One thing I'm interested in is whether Yzerman will start locking these guys up as RFA's or go the bridge deal route like Holland.  I really don't think you want to do "prove it" deals with each of these  guys and then find you've got to pay them all a bunch of else risk losing them to UFA.  I think I'd go the Dave Poile route and overpay a bit early and hopefully get value on the back end like he did with Josi, Ekholm, and Arvidsson. 

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm no Bolts historian), but I wanna say Yzerman leaned pretty heavily on bridge deals when he was putting together that Bolts team. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the lessons he's taken away from his time in Tampa is "Be very careful with bridge deals. They are not necessarily your friend."

I think the good news for us is that Larkin's the top dog in our system and his contract is probably going to age beautifully, in terms of 1) the bang we're getting for the cap he's eating and 2) setting a team-friendly precedent for future RFA deals. If a few years from now we have a couple of kids who've made a good case for getting bigger deals than the Larkin deal...well, that'd be a sticky situation, but I suppose it'd be a nice problem to have, as it would mean we have several legit core guys. If we have to move one for cap reasons, well, so be it. We can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Edited by Dabura

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I’m always trying to get the steal deal to the benefit of the club , like larkin currently is like kronwall I believe got 3 per x5 back in the day ... I’d lock up some kids now to 4-6 yr deals at 4-6 per if possible ... bertuzzi 25 mill x 6yrs , mantha 5.5 x6 and so on ... something like that

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'm probably in the minority on this, but at this point I think I'm content to just keep adding really good forward pieces and bide our time re: that 1D hole. Yzerman doesn't have an especially good record when it comes to producing high-end defensemen. Maybe that was more on his Tampa scouts and he'll immediately draft some low-key great defensemen as Wings GM -- but I'm assuming we're ultimately gonna end up filling at least one of our top three D slots with a big-name UFA or a big-name trade acquisition (made possible by a surplus of good forwards in our system).

Speaking of surplus...

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm no Bolts historian), but I wanna say Yzerman leaned pretty heavily on bridge deals when he was putting together that Bolts team. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the lessons he's taken away from his time in Tampa is "Be very careful with bridge deals. They are not necessarily your friend."

I think the good news for us is that Larkin's the top dog in our system and his contract is probably going to age beautifully, in terms of 1) the bang we're getting for the cap he's eating and 2) setting a team-friendly precedent for future RFA deals. If a few years from now we have a couple of kids who've made a good case for getting bigger deals than the Larkin deal...well, that'd be a sticky situation, but I suppose it'd be a nice problem to have, as it would mean we have several legit core guys. If we have to move one for cap reasons, well, so be it. We can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Oh I’d have zero problem adding forwards at 6 and in the 2nd but I definetly think we’re getting 1-2’ds with our first 5 picks , if we like a lot of the forwards that happen to be in our spot go for it,we’ll just have to move some forwards down the road if everyone develops like we hope and we’ll have to target a team which have a surplus  in dmen like Carolina and switch players 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

15 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Oh I’d have zero problem adding forwards at 6 and in the 2nd but I definetly think we’re getting 1-2’ds with our first 5 picks , if we like a lot of the forwards that happen to be in our spot go for it,we’ll just have to move some forwards down the road if everyone develops like we hope and we’ll have to target a team which in dmen like Carolina and switch players 

Oh, yeah, I don't mean we should only draft forwards with our key picks. We're definitely getting at least one defenseman with our first five picks. I'm just saying if there's a voice in Yzerman's head that continually tut-tuts him about the sorry state of our blue line, he should ignore it.

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think Byram has top pair potential. I think Cholowski tops out as a 2nd pair. If I can trade a 2nd pair D with a 1st rounder and get a legit 1D, its worth it to me.

Its a steep price to pay, but true 1D guys are so hard to come by.

I say no, for the same reason I said no last year when people were saying we should trade up for Zadina. Although VERY unlikely (even more so than last year), it is possible that Byram drops to 6. And even if he doesn't, we will be getting a very good player of a different position. I understand that we desperately need that number one defenseman, and as much as I think Byram could be that, it's still very possible that whoever we get at 6, could end up being the better player.

I'd rather keep Cholowski, draft best player available at 6, and go after Trouba.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The Trouba dream isn't over yet... unless he signs an extension in New York...

Ppl need to chill ... that’s not the price rangers would have paid if he signed along term deal , there’s not even any extra’s in the deal if rangers sign an extension so it’s really fishy

im not worried at all atm