• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I know exactly what you mean. It's like that one time when he skated right between those two defenders without getting touched, but then he fell down anyway, but then it was ok because he shot the puck from his knees and scored a goal. How neat was that? So neat, is how neat it was. Plus the way then the exact same thing was also recorded from a different angle. Super-duper neat. Then just when you think it couldn't possibly get any neater, the first angle also happened zoomed-in and in slow motion. Boom. That was the sound of my head exploding from neatness overload.

Guess how I like my bourbon, and scotch? 

Neat.

1 hour ago, Buppy said:

I know exactly what you mean. It's like that one time when he skated right between those two defenders without getting touched, but then he fell down anyway, but then it was ok because he shot the puck from his knees and scored a goal. How neat was that? So neat, is how neat it was. Plus the way then the exact same thing was also recorded from a different angle. Super-duper neat. Then just when you think it couldn't possibly get any neater, the first angle also happened zoomed-in and in slow motion. Boom. That was the sound of my head exploding from neatness overload.

You're being a bit of a turd ferguson with all the hyperbole, especially when considering he has a few better highlights than that one. 

Podkolzin isn't my first choice, but I see a lot to like there, and no It's not just because of a highlight reel play he made once. 

7 hours ago, Buppy said:

This is how i feel about Zegras.  The difference is Vpod generates 5 on 5.  Zegras does behind the back power play passes against Mexico and everyone calls him Mr Elite Vision.  Whoever selects Zegras is going to be sorry.  Zero top end speed and no size.  He will bust fast in the nhl.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This is how i feel about Zegras.  The difference is Vpod generates 5 on 5.  Zegras does behind the back power play passes against Mexico and everyone calls him Mr Elite Vision.  Whoever selects Zegras is going to be sorry.  Zero top end speed and no size.  He will bust fast in the nhl.

Yeah, well if I was playing against a team who liked to stack the blue line and I wanted to get across, I know what country I would get my players from.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:27 PM, Buppy said:

To be fair, Broberg didn't play against his peers. Allsvenskan is a men's pro league, and he was one of only 12 under-18s to play, the only one to play more than 13 games, played more games than the other 11 combined, and did it for one of the best teams in the league. I'm sure the stats of the top NA prospects would be considerably worse if they played in the AHL, or even just the worst half of it. 

And while it is a "2nd-tier" league, that might be a bit misleading. Sweden has relegation, and only 14 teams in the SHL. It's not like a minor league and he wasn't good enough to be called up to the top team. He played at the highest level of his organization.

Just seeing this so my apologies for the delay. 

This is an interesting point, but it's misleading.  The SHL isn't the NHL, and Allsvenskan isn't comparable to the AHL as a result.  Over the years I've read (as much a possible) about the quality of the various hockey leagues around the world.  In most cases where people discuss the relative strength of each league they place the SHL slightly below the AHL.  So if we take the SEL and AHL to be roughly equal, then Allsvenskan would be comparable to the ECHL.  So while your point still stands that Broberg WAS playing in a men's league, it's not as though it's a very good men's league.  And his failure to produce many points against that level of competition is still a concern for me if I were contemplating taking him near the top of the draft. 

Also, saying that Allsvenskan is like the "worst half" of the AHL is misleading for another reason.  The difference in the size and quality of the talent pools between the SHL and the AHL.  The AHL is pulling talent from all around on the world, both in terms of prospects on their way up, and NHLers on their way down.  The worst teams in the AHL are still NHL affiliates and are still likely to have MUCH more talent being infused into their rosters.  Guys who dominate the SHL are generally guys who never made it in North American hockey or are Swedish NHL prospects with a year or two less development then they'll have when they eventually play in the AHL.  As a result the "worst half" of the AHL is probably WAY better than Allsvenskan IMO.

Edited by kipwinger

NHL Mock Draft 2019 [NJ.com]

6) Detroit Red Wings - Trevor Zegras, C/W (USNDP)

2018-19 stats: 57 GP, 26 G, 55 A, 81 P

There might not be a better passer in the 2019 draft class than Zegras. His teammates with the USNDP gushed about his vision and ability to make creative plays, and that will land him in the top 10 of the draft. Like the Blackhawks, the Red Wings have some options at No. 6, but here they go with Zegras.

Ted Kulfan's 2019 NHL mock draft [The Detroit News]

6. Detroit Red Wings: Trevor Zegras, USNTDP, center. The Wings can go in several directions, but Zegras appears to have the most intriguing potential. With Dylan Larkin, Joe Veleno and Zegras, that’s a lot of talent some day at a crucial spot.

4 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

It would suck for next season but assuming it’ll be hard to get a top dman otherwise would anyone do a package involving AA to land the 8th and either pick right away or move to 10-12  to get a later pick to take broberg/seiderberg/Harley ?

Why would we trade our 2nd best forward for a prospect?

23 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why would we trade our 2nd best forward for a prospect?

Ummm I’d go with 3rd personally (got mantha ahead of him)how else are we expected to get these future 1st pair dmen? We keep getting unlucky in draft (zadina dropping,and byram not being there) 

only way to get these guys are before they explode and turn into a 1-2 Damn cause teams won’t move them , so we can either target a bean,fabbro type now or go for our lucky and draft them and I personally believe AA (too many good forwards in our organization will be competing for top 6 roles sooner rather than later ) will be dealt eventually so for me it doesn’t really  matter when the time is as long as we get a dman involved back

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

This is an interesting point, but it's misleading.  The SHL isn't the NHL, and Allsvenskan isn't comparable to the AHL as a result.  Over the years I've read (as much a possible) about the quality of the various hockey leagues around the world.  In most cases where people discuss the relative strength of each league they place the SHL slightly below the AHL.  So if we take the SEL and AHL to be roughly equal, then Allsvenskan would be comparable to the ECHL.  So while your point still stands that Broberg WAS playing in a men's league, it's not as though it's a very good men's league.  And his failure to produce many points against that level of competition is still a concern for me if I were contemplating taking him near the top of the draft. 

Also, saying that Allsvenskan is like the "worst half" of the AHL is misleading for another reason.  The difference in the size and quality of the talent pools between the SHL and the AHL.  The AHL is pulling talent from all around on the world, both in terms of prospects on their way up, and NHLers on their way down.  The worst teams in the AHL are still NHL affiliates and are still likely to have MUCH more talent being infused into their rosters.  Guys who dominate the SHL are generally guys who never made it in North American hockey or are Swedish NHL prospects with a year or two less development then they'll have when they eventually play in the AHL.  As a result the "worst half" of the AHL is probably WAY better than Allsvenskan IMO.

I wasn't actually comparing it to the AHL, just trying to say that "dominating their league" isn't a very good standard for judging European prospects. Almost all the best ones play in the pro leagues, and they are rarely dominant. I don't want to debate the relative strength of different leagues, because that is only part of the equation. Euro leagues tend to be lower scoring, and I would guess it's somewhat harder for a young kid to earn a top spot. If they were just "easy" leagues, the good European NHL players should have dominated, but for the most part that isn't the case. Even Ovechkin and Malkin didn't dominate in Russia. Put the top NA prospects in Allsvenskan I don't think they'd have anywhere near the same numbers. The same goes for almost all the Euros: Podkolzin, Seider, Soderstrom. Have to look beyond the stats much more than with NA players.