• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

I am actually really happy with this draft.

I think we really made large strides in improving our D moving forward.

I am a huge fan of the Seider pick. I think he is going to turn out to be a stud.

Pair him with Cholowski and put McIsaac with Hronek and we have a super solid top 4 going forward.

Tuomisto and Johansson could end up in the mix for roster spots down the road as well.

The Berglund and Moore have filled our D cupboard and have size and potential.

As for the forwards I am a HUGE fan of the Grewe pick (models his game after Marchand).

Mastrosimone seems to be a slick player as well that I have high hopes for.

Soderblom looks like a beast.

Adding Phillips and Tyutyayev add more depth at F in our system.

And finally, adding Gylander ( a 6'5" goalie) is never a bad thing to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Edited by robb himself

1 hour ago, robb himself said:

I am actually really happy with this draft.

I think we really made large strides in improving our D moving forward.

I am a huge fan of the Seider pick. I think he is going to turn out to be a stud.

Pair him with Cholowski and put McIsaac with Hronek and we have a super solid top 4 going forward.

Tuomisto and Johansson could end up in the mix for roster spots down the road as well.

The Berglund and Moore have filled our D cupboard and have size and potential.

As for the forwards I am a HUGE fan of the Grewe pick (models his game after Marchand).

Mastrosimone seems to be a slick player as well that I have high hopes for.

Soderblom looks like a beast.

Adding Phillips and Tyutyayev add more depth at F in our system.

And finally, adding Gylander ( a 6'5" goalie) is never a bad thing to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

I disagree.  Hronek-McIsaac + Seider-Cholowski is a super solid BOTTOM 4.  We are currently missing a 1A and 1B in our system.  I hope a few of these guys step up, but we really need to target that Dahlin type guy soon.  A game changer type defenseman.

4 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Not f***en is that’s for sure , we’re gonna laugh in a few years so bad 

ducks 

Carolina

Kings 

devils

pretty much anyone but us

After this draft I’m hardly excited about the 2020 draft anymore , only thing that can save us is a lottery pick as well as the fact that we drafted like 6-7 dmen so yzerman should stfu and stop exaggerating with drafting for need over best player available cause he certainly didn’t do that this year  

Oh that’s nonsense though cause we could have got puistola and other studs from 54-66 and instead blew it for s***s and giggles cause of our d need ... Brett leason was there as well , just a f***en disaster 

Then why don't you go be fan of one those teams then instead of bitching about t his team smh

2 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Then why don't you go be fan of one those teams then instead of bitching about t his team smh

Ok I’ll just blindly accept anything this team does and be happy 24/7 regardless with what they do or don’t do .... get real man , don’t like me complaining ignore me it’s pretty simple , everyone ends up happy 

Detroit Red Wings: B

Detroit had an interesting draft. They got talent. The debate over the next few years is did they get the right talent. I like Moritz Seider a lot, just not at No. 6. I like Antti Tuomisto, just not at No. 35. For what it’s worth, Detroit wasn’t the only team high on both those players, even if it wasn’t a consensus opinion. They had a lot of day two picks, as has been the case the past few years, and they added a lot to their farm system. I think Seider will be a quality top-four defenseman, Robert Mastrosimone and Albin Grewe play, Tuomisto has a good chance to play, and several other picks are on the radar. For the assets they had, was it enough, though? I have some skepticism, but time will tell. This is one of the most fascinating team classes of the past few years.

9 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I disagree.  Hronek-McIsaac + Seider-Cholowski is a super solid BOTTOM 4.  We are currently missing a 1A and 1B in our system.  I hope a few of these guys step up, but we really need to target that Dahlin type guy soon.  A game changer type defenseman.

So you already have Seider pegged as a "bottom 4" defenseman? You don't think Hronek could be a top pair guy? We may still be lacking a truly elite number one defenseman, but it's still possible that Hronek or Seider could eventually fill that void. Although not highly probable, it's still entirely possibly that Seider develops into a Josi type defenseman, and / or Hronek develops into a Letang type defenseman...

9 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

St. Louis just won the cup and a few other teams who've won recently have had solid D 1 through 6 but no superstar 1D.  That's the route I think we're going.

We simply don't know how they will develop. With Seider we have a bottom 4 guy at least, but I think he has the tools to become a solid 1st pair defender. Elite? Impossible to project for any prospect, except for a few others guys that you don't get at 6th.

It's also not impossible that we get an older elite defenseman over free agency or through trade if that is indeed the piece we think we are missing. First we have to build a solid core that is competitive again and can reach the playoffs.

40 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

So you already have Seider pegged as a "bottom 4" defenseman? You don't think Hronek could be a top pair guy? We may still be lacking a truly elite number one defenseman, but it's still possible that Hronek or Seider could eventually fill that void. Although not highly probable, it's still entirely possibly that Seider develops into a Josi type defenseman, and / or Hronek develops into a Letang type defenseman...

If seider turns out to be a bottom 4 dman from the #6 pick considering what we left on the table I’d be hugely dissapointed , think he has the potential to be a really good #2 but I’m still gonna be hoping he turns into a #1 , just have my reservations just look back at all the nhl German d’s  And none were a star . Hopefully he’s the first 

I think seider and hronek can be a future d pair , also think cholowski is being forgotten , kid had a hot start to his career if he can ever be consistent he can turn into a 45-60 d guy we so desperately need and lack on this team which is why I was hoping for a matthew Robertson at 35

31 minutes ago, mackel said:

St. Louis just won the cup and a few other teams who've won recently have had solid D 1 through 6 but no superstar 1D.  That's the route I think we're going.

Pietrangelo was one of the best d’s for years , suddenly we’ve all forgotten it cause saint Louis struggled for 3 months ?

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

On 6/22/2019 at 3:22 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Holland probably wanted Seider at 8

EDM took Cozens & Broberg out for dinner at the combine. They  have never been in on  Seider.

ANA: Murray made it publicly 2 days ahead of draft day that he wants to pick the best C available. 

Seider would have been there at #10, no doubt about it.

It came down to the asking price which was apparently too high for Jim Benning to make the swap.

Anyway.

Stevie got his player.

8 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

If seider turns out to be a bottom 4 dman from the #6 pick considering what we left on the table I’d be hugely dissapointed , think he has the potential to be a really good #2 but I’m still gonna be hoping he turns into a #1 , just have my reservations just look back at all the nhl German d’s  And none were a star . Hopefully he’s the first 

I think seider and hronek can be a future d pair , also think cholowski is being forgotten , kid had a hot start to his career if he can ever be consistent he can turn into a 45-60 d guy we so desperately need and lack on this team which is why I was hoping for a matthew Robertson at 35

Pietrangelo was one of the best d’s for years , suddenly we’ve all forgotten it cause saint Louis struggled for 3 months ?

Krupp won the Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche. Seidenberg won the Cup with the Bruins.

Dennis Seidenberg played on the top pairing together with Zdeno Chara. This pairing was arguably the best shutdown pairing in the season 2010/2011. This pairing was fundamental in the Bruins Cup win in 2011. Both played important roles on their teams.

12 minutes ago, wolfgang durst said:

Krupp won the Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche. Seidenberg won the Cup with the Bruins.

Dennis Seidenberg played on the top pairing together with Zdeno Chara. This pairing was arguably the best shutdown pairing in the season 2010/2011. This pairing was fundamental in the Bruins Cup win in 2011. Both played important roles on their teams.

Krupp and seidenberg were good nhl players and not star guys which is what we should be aiming for with a 6th pick , hopefully seider becomes the first real big German star outside draisaitl 

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I hope so.  I just think we are all a little overexcited.

9 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Im loving our draft minus not getting Cozens.  I wanted that guy bad.  But our system was thin on defense, so we drafted for that.  

I'm the opposite. I'm happy with the first pick (despite being higher Cozens / Zegras at the time), and pretty meh on the rest of the draft...

I'm hopeful that Yzerman sees something in Seider that a lot of other scouts may have missed. After doing a lot more research on him (I did minimal on him prior to the draft), I like him. He has all the raw tools to become a legit top pairing (potentially number one) defenseman. Big body, really good skater, good first pass, great at getting shots through from the point, and most importantly, very high hockey IQ.

I liked a few other picks throughout the draft, but none that get me really excited. I feel there may have been a few higher ceiling guys overlooked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but we'll see how it all plays out.

23 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Im loving our draft minus not getting Cozens.  I wanted that guy bad.  But our system was thin on defense, so we drafted for that.  

Our system can be thin on defense and we can try and fix it but I just don’t agree with the way we did it , everyone here knows how much I love podkolzin and how I think teams will look very stupid for passing on him but I also wanted to trade athanasiou although some fans wanted nothing to do with dealing him to move up and get seider so i got no problem getting seider just pissed we got him at 6 due to Holland’s wet dream of him so it is what it is 

I’d personally would have got Matthew Robertson over tuomisto who I see as a more offensive dman we could have used on a top Ppl some day ... is what it is , we’ll never know but if we liked Albert so much we could have grabbed him at 66 and with 54 and 60 I would have went for puistola and leason , maybe one day I’ll look like a f***en moron but that’s what I would have liked 

and no I’m not a head scout but those guys weren’t taken too far off from us so are those guys morons for taking them?and Albert grewe if we liked him so much maybe we could have dealt the Vegas 2021 3rd with a team to draft him

anyways it’s over now , we’ll see where these guys from the 2019 draft  are at in 2-4 years 

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm the opposite. I'm happy with the first pick (despite being higher Cozens / Zegras at the time), and pretty meh on the rest of the draft...

I'm hopeful that Yzerman sees something in Seider that a lot of other scouts may have missed. After doing a lot more research on him (I did minimal on him prior to the draft), I like him. He has all the raw tools to become a legit top pairing (potentially number one) defenseman. Big body, really good skater, good first pass, great at getting shots through from the point, and most importantly, very high hockey IQ.

I liked a few other picks throughout the draft, but none that get me really excited. I feel there may have been a few higher ceiling guys overlooked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but we'll see how it all plays out.

I like pick 35.  He seems solid.  

3 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Our system can be thin on defense and we can try and fix it but I just don’t agree with the way we did it , everyone here knows how much I love podkolzin and how I think teams will look very stupid for passing on him but I also wanted to trade athanasiou although some fans wanted nothing to do with dealing him to move up and get seider so i got no problem getting seider just pissed we got him at 6 due to Holland’s wet dream of him so it is what it is 

I’d personally would have got Matthew Robertson over tuomisto who I see as a more offensive dman we could have used on a top Ppl some day ... is what it is , we’ll never know but if we liked Albert so much we could have grabbed him at 66 and with 54 and 60 I would have went for puistola and leason , maybe one day I’ll look like a f***en moron but that’s what I would have liked 

and no I’m not a head scout but those guys weren’t taken too far off from us so are those guys morons for taking them?and Albert grewe if we liked him so much maybe we could have dealt the Vegas 2021 3rd with a team to draft him

anyways it’s over now , we’ll see where these guys from the 2019 draft  are at in 2-4 years 

Yah, Yzerman didnt have a good draft.  Sakic had a good draft.  

On 6/15/2019 at 4:17 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We took the right guy with #6. He looks like the real deal, Blash said in an interview what I was thinking before. Seider makes real good decisions, never panics and always looks calm and confident. Watch him at development camp and watch the replay of the Germany-Slowakia game until he gets injured of the WC, he will be a real good player for us. Blash has seen him live during the WC and is convinced, Stevie Y has seen him in europe and is convinced. Trust them!

@nyqvististhefuture  

Leon Draisaitl might be known by some north americans for being an allright player.

11 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I like pick 35.  He seems solid.  

Yah, Yzerman didnt have a good draft.  Sakic had a good draft.  

Sakic had one of the best drafts in my opinion. Doesn't hurt that he had the 4th and 16th overall picks, but getting the top defenseman and one of the top centers was huge for the Aves. I also think they got a steal in the 3rd round with Beaucage and potentially in the 6th round with Burzan...

30 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I know your being sarcastic but lets not take a dig at a team that got byram + newhook and Helleson who should all likely be nhlers

Im not.  I really think Colorado nailed it.

29 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Sakic had one of the best drafts in my opinion. Doesn't hurt that he had the 4th and 16th overall picks, but getting the top defenseman and one of the top centers was huge for the Aves. I also think they got a steal in the 3rd round with Beaucage and potentially in the 6th round with Burzan...

Yup.  A+.  Avs are going to win it next year.  I am going to put a G on it in Vegas.

So, I was gone all weekend and am only now getting to review our draft.  In short, it sucks.  There are some decent players here, but we did nothing to address our biggest organizational weakness: our center depth.  Prior to the draft our depth chart was Larkin, Veleno, and (maybe) AA.  And it's exactly the same after the draft.  The single most important position on any hockey team was completely ignored in a really important draft.  We didn't have a really high end defensive prospect before the draft, we don't now.  We consistently passed on skill players for guys with intangibles like "hockey sense" and "compete level". 

It wasn't a complete disaster.  Seider will be a good defenseman, but not an elite one.  Even if he turns into a Paryako, which is probably his ceiling, a guy like that doesn't significantly change the complexion of our defense or team. He's a good piece but probably not a great one at 6th.  Very much the Michael Rasmussen of defensemen (and I'm a Rasmussen fan).  Grewe has Tyler Bertuzzi upside, which is a good complimentary piece on a team full of good complimentary pieces.  Maybe Tuomisto adds a little offense from the back end, but probably not any more than Cholo or Hronek or McIsaac.  But we were a team without any real game changers prior to the draft, and we still are despite a really high pick in a draft with lots of guys with (supposedly) elite upside. 

Edited by kipwinger

Last year we drafted forwards when we should of maybe drafted another dman. This year it was the opposite. It worked out well last year and it will this year. Seider will be a big piece of our defense.  Seeing that I never went to Europe and did any scouting I will trust the guys that did. If it was me maybe I would have taken Robertson at 35 but that’s because of what I read not any real knowledge. I like this Tuo guy more every time I watch his videos and read the reports.  Hakan knows a little more than I do.  I’m fine with all of his choices