• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Buppy said:

From what I've read, Seider was an Yzerman pick, and it's because he genuinely thinks the kid has very high potential. Objectively speaking, he took a 3rd-tier rated prospect with a 2nd-tier pick. Even if he's wrong it's not any big deal. At least a couple of the 2nd-tier guys are going to come up short as well.

Tuomisto was a Wright pick, and was a bigger reach. Worse given that he plays the same spot as Seider, and that there were still several picks with perceived 1st-round talent. We also already had Hronek, Bowey, Kaski, Lindstrom, plus Regula, Barton, and maybe Saarijarvi on the right side. I'd probably be OK with it if we'd taken Zegras or Cozens with our first.

No real reaches in the rest of the draft. I don't think there's much difference in who a top team would scout for 2nd/3rd round picks, as opposed to a bottom team. Probably a combination of info from both teams went into those picks. I would have been happier with Lavoie, Leason, and Legare in the 2nd, but no one knows if they'll actually be better.

Exactly how I feel about the draft. I was shocked with the Seider pick more than anything, but am more than fine with it. I think he has the potential to shock a lot of people, and become a legit top pairing defenseman...

The Tuomisto pick was the one I was the most disappointed with, and not only because it was another "off the board" pick, but because there were just so many high-end players that dropped out of the 1st round. We could have had all of Lavoie, Leason, Legare and Beaucage / Grewe in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I feel that would have been a better haul, but who knows. And like you mentioned, it seems the right side of our blueline may actually be one of the teams' biggest strengths now after the Seider pick.

3 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

He left in March? Well there ya go probably figured he’d be picking for Tampa when he started scouting seider and Tampa would pick him 

no, he left in October. The "Story " is that Holland started talking to him in March about becoming GM. Which I feel is hogwash. I believe this ball was rolling way before then.

22 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Ok I’ll just blindly accept anything this team does and be happy 24/7 regardless with what they do or don’t do .... get real man , don’t like me complaining ignore me it’s pretty simple , everyone ends up happy 

I don't usually ignore any of your posts but you're being unrealistic here.  Breathe dude.

Thrilled about this pick. Big, smart, mobile, RH Dman.

Praised for his skating, particularly his speed going backwards. His intelligence and ability to read to the play. His gap control and board work. And expected to be a big minute eater.

Offense is sort of an unknown, as he was deployed heavily in the D-zone and sheltered away from the O-zone this year. We know he has a good first pass and is smart and mobile. I've seen German fans praise his shot, but I dunno fersure yet.

Two things I don't really see people talking about: His personality and adaptability. Everyone seems to sing praises about both. Adaptability wise he's known to adjust to new situations and challenges quickly according to his coaches. Basically, when thrown into sink or swim situations, he always finds a way to swim. The kid essentially went from German Juniors to being a top 4 Dman in their top means league at the age of 17. He will be expected to be a top 2 Dman for them next year at 18. Personality-wise he's known for his veteran level poise, leadership qualities, and strong-character. There's a quote from former NHLer Korbinian Holzer where he says playing next to Seider feels like playing next to a seasoned NHL vet. He's incredibly calm, doesn't panic, and reads and acts on plays expertly. In regards to leadership qualities... If Larkin wasn't on the roster, I feel like I'd be talking about this guy being a potential captain one day. Not sure if anyone watched the 9 minutes interview with him after the draft, but I was really impressed. If you look past how many times he humbly/modestly mentions how nervous he was, he strikes me as an extremely confident and well-spoken person. Especially for a foreign speaker. Kid had lockerroom leader written all over him if you ask me.

I think if you draw parallels between Larkin sorta being the newest version of Yzerman... then I think we just drafted our Lidstrom.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Praised for his skating, particularly his speed going backwards. His intelligence and ability to read to the play. His gap control and board work. And expected to be a big minute eater.

Offense is sort of an unknown, as he was deployed heavily in the D-zone and sheltered away from the O-zone this year. We know he has a good first pass and is smart and mobile. I've seen German fans praise his shot, but I dunno fersure yet.

Two things I don't really see people talking about: His personality and adaptability. Everyone seems to sing praises about both. Adaptability wise he's known to adjust to new situations and challenges quickly according to his coaches. Basically, when thrown into sink or swim situations, he always finds a way to swim. The kid essentially went from German Juniors to being a top 4 Dman in their top means league at the age of 17. He will be expected to be a top 2 Dman for them next year at 18. Personality-wise he's known for his veteran level poise, leadership qualities, and strong-character. There's a quote from former NHLer Korbinian Holzer where he says playing next to Seider feels like playing next to a seasoned NHL vet. He's incredibly calm, doesn't panic, and reads and acts on plays expertly. In regards to leadership qualities... If Larkin wasn't on the roster, I feel like I'd be talking about this guy being a potential captain one day. Not sure if anyone watched the 9 minutes interview with him after the draft, but I was really impressed. If you look past how many times he humbly/modestly mentions how nervous he was, he strikes me as an extremely confident and well-spoken person. Especially for a foreign speaker. Kid had lockerroom leader written all over him if you ask me.

I think if you draw parallels between Larkin sorta being the newest version of Yzerman... then I think we just drafted our Lidstrom.

I went and watched a couple games of his I could find on youtube, the passing was immediately noticeable. He hits the tape a lot. 

Obviously wasn't my first choice, but I'm happy with it. Tbh I hadn't looked into him at all prior to us taking him. 

2 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

#2020draftisgood #tanktime #hashtagsarestupid

Speaking of 2020, it'd be nice if the Wings and Yotes could get some lottery luck.  Their both -5 in regards to how many total spots they've dropped in this lottery format.  Yeah sure Vancouver is -6, but they got a kid that looks like the next Henrik Zetterberg out of it so...

2 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I went and watched a couple games of his I could find on youtube, the passing was immediately noticeable. He hits the tape a lot. 

Obviously wasn't my first choice, but I'm happy with it. Tbh I hadn't looked into him at all prior to us taking him. 

I mean I didn't know s*** about him either, till the dude on HF boards said Detroit was taking Seider at #6 like 2 weeks ago. I started reading about him, and constantly found myself thinking "How is this kid not top 10". Instant fan.

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I mean I didn't know s*** about him either, till the dude on HF boards said Detroit was taking Seider at #6 like 2 weeks ago. I started reading about him, and constantly found myself thinking "How is this kid not top 10". Instant fan.

I was too busy scoffing at that post and judging anyone who believed it to go and actually look the kid up. 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I will trust the behind scenes guys and hope upon hope the bolded from your keyboard to whatever God you pray to ears to make it happen

On 5/12/2019 at 11:09 AM, Dabura said:

I think Podkolzin could go anywhere. Same with Broberg and so many others.

One guy who's starting to get a lot of love is Moritz Seider. Hulking right-shot defenseman. Really good skater for his size, good two-way game, likes to play physically, good puck-mover, great arsenal of shots, could become an absolute terror working the point in the o-zone. He, more than anyone else, is really making me wish we had another 1st-round pick in this draft.

Avs are poised to make a killing in this draft. They could be terrifying in a couple of years.

This was a little prescient.  First time I really heard of Seider, though admittedly many here follow the prospects much more closely than I do.

From this article 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/06/23/detroit-red-wings-nhl-draft-grades/1535168001/

a quote from Andersson. 

“Yzerman has been pretty strict,” Andersson said after the two-day draft concluded on Saturday. “He wants competitive players, too. There are no dogs. Like sometimes you draft a guy with high talent, Dick Axelsson is one example, but they don’t compete. But these guys all work for it.”

I thought the bolded was an interesting thought ...now if you can get talent that's competitive you have what our GM was as player so here's hoping #6 pick is both. 

13 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Why would he say anything else? :D

If he handles it well, he benefits anyway. If he gets to the AHL earlier, he get's to learn the system earlier, might even get a call up at some point, learns how life goes in the US, is close to the big club. If he stays at home, he can finish school while still improving and preparing, as competition in a mens league already challenges an 18y old who needs to add to get to the level of his opponents.

He wouldn't. But just saying that it's not 100% decided that he's going back to the DEL next season. Either way would be good, I'd just rather him start in the AHL for callup potential.

Edited by amato

I tried looking back in the earlier posts here but someone mentioned Seider very early and what a beast he was on defense.  At that point he was a second round consideration. I looked up what I could on him and was intrigued by his size. Whoever it was great call

Drafting Seider at 6 overall and taking 3 Dmen in the first two rounds, I think is a nod, however small, to Yzerman's confidence in our depth in our forward pool as well.

Up front for a young forward core he has:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Athanasiou

With Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Berggren, Smith, Svechnikov, and Hirose on the way

Out back for a young defense he has:

Hronek - Bowey

With Cholowski, McIsaac, and Lindstrom on the way

That forward depth looks pretty nice going forward. Even if Svechnikov, Smith, Berggren, and one of Veleno/Rasmussen/Zadina were to bust you'd probably be alright in future years. On D however, if either of Cholowski or McIsaac bust the future looks pretty poopy. Adding Seider, Tuomisto, and Johansson to that list of potentials is a big step in the right direction.

25 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Drafting Seider at 6 overall and taking 3 Dmen in the first two rounds, I think is a nod, however small, to Yzerman's confidence in our depth in our forward pool as well.

Up front for a young forward core he has:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Athanasiou

With Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Berggren, Smith, Svechnikov, and Hirose on the way

Out back for a young defense he has:

Hronek - Bowey

With Cholowski, McIsaac, and Lindstrom on the way

That forward depth looks pretty nice going forward. Even if Svechnikov, Smith, Berggren, and one of Veleno/Rasmussen/Zadina were to bust you'd probably be alright in future years. On D however, if either of Cholowski or McIsaac bust the future looks pretty poopy. Adding Seider, Tuomisto, and Johansson to that list of potentials is a big step in the right direction.

I think your logic is spot on. I've argued elsewhere that we have a good crop for forwards.  But there are two things wrong with that strategy.  First, in this year's draft with a reasonably high pick we passed on guys with "elite" offensive upside (which is never a great plan) to provide more depth.  We don't have any game breaking talent, and that's a problem.  Depth is great, but a team full of Tyler Bertuzzi's get's crushed by a team full of Tyler Bertuzzi's and one Sidney Crosby or Artemi Panarin or Nikita Kucherov or whomever.

Second, while our "fowards" as a group look good, our center depth doesn't.  This draft puts HUGE pressure on Veleno to be a high-end top six center.  Something that's still very much up in the air.  Adding a Cozens, Zegras, or even a Krebs or Newhook takes a ton of pressure off Veleno, and Larkin, going forward.  This is, of course, assuming that neither Rasmussen or AA are in the long terms plans at center (and I'd argue they shouldn't be). 

Edited by kipwinger