• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweFan

Buyers or Sellers ?

Rate this topic

Pretty sure management wants to resign Howard. I thought Bernier was the plan going forward after this season, but he's not inspiring any confidence in anyone that he can be the starter. Wouldn't be surprised if Howard gets a new deal next year sometime. I hear rumblings of him possibly fetching a first rounder though, that's a tasty return. 

Nyquist, it depends what he wants to do. He's a UFA so he might wanna test the market. If he does, trade him for assets of course. Last season i would have said trade him either way, but he's really stepped it up with Z and Tatar gone. Wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him. Also, see what teams are offering. If it's something that can't be refused, they can aleways rent him out then re-sign him in summer. Same with Howard. If theres a first offered for him and he's still not re-signed, they have to take it. Re-sign in summer.

1 hour ago, HoweFan said:

If we are sellers would you trade off Howard or Nyquist?  Right now they are a pretty big part of this team. 

This is just my humble opinion for I don't know the vibe in the locker room, but.....

I say be a seller - lets have a repeat of the 2018 draft.

Holland can always re-sign Howard come July 1st.

Nyquist is having his best year in...Well - it's his best year thus far...Makes for a good piece of trade bait if ya ask me.

50 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Sell everyone you can sell and package those pics to get as high up in the draft as you can get.  We need top end talent and we're not going to get it outside the top 5-10.

I respectfully disagree to the bold.

There's numerous guys outside the top 10 that become great players at the NHL level, and numerous players taken in the very same top 10 that never do much...It's always a toss of the dice.

Buyers or Sellers? Sellers. No question. I am a little nervous though that if we do climb into a playoff spot in the next two months, or even within striking distance, that Holland would turn from seller to buyer. I cannot bring myself to cheer on losses, but I know too much winning could potentially set this team back. We need to sell off any and all UFA's that team's might have interest in, no matter where we sit leading up to the deadline. Hopefully both Nyquist and Howard are dealt and maybe even Daley if any teams are interested.

If we're outside looking waaaaay in come the trade deadline, sell everything you can. Howard, Nyquist, Daley, Leftwinger's uncle's cousin who stocks the wife's hospitality suite with Nespresso capsules, etc. 

If this team continues to play well and is in the playoff hunt I think you have to stand pat and give them a chance to play for something. So far, being semi-competitive has done wonders for the development of the youngsters. 

24 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

This is just my humble opinion for I don't know the vibe in the locker room, but.....

I say be a seller - lets have a repeat of the 2018 draft.

Holland can always re-sign Howard come July 1st.

Nyquist is having his best year in...Well - it's his best year thus far...Makes for a good piece of trade bait if ya ask me.

I respectfully disagree to the bold.

There's numerous guys outside the top 10 that become great players at the NHL level, and numerous players taken in the very same top 10 that never do much...It's always a toss of the dice.

Nobody is saying elite players don't occasionally come from outside the top part of the draft.  What I'm saying is, elite players are typically at the top part of the first round and if you want to increase the odds that you'll find and elite player, moving into the top part of the draft is probably your best bet. 

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Nobody is saying elite players don't occasionally come from outside the top part of the draft.  What I'm saying is, elite players are typically at the top part of the first round and if you want to increase the odds that you'll find and elite player, moving into the top part of the draft is probably your best bet. 

Is Holland, or any GM willing to give up what it would take to land a top 5 pick?

I dunno?

Personally I'd welcome the idea of moving guys between now, and the deadline, and acquire more picks, and go from there...If we're still outta the playoffs - well we'll have a shot at moving up.

3 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Is Holland, or any GM willing to give up what it would take to land a top 5 pick?

I dunno?

Personally I'd welcome the idea of moving guys between now, and the deadline, and acquire more picks, and go from there...If we're still outta the playoffs - well we'll have a shot at moving up.

Depends on where we land in the lottery.  Moving from 18th to 5th is pretty tough.  But moving from 12th to 7-10th might not be as difficult. 

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Depends on where we land in the lottery.  Moving from 18th to 5th is pretty tough.  But moving from 12th to 7-10th might not be as difficult. 

Look at this year's draft though. Not much to choose from between Hughes and Dobson. Certainly not enough to justify shedding xtra picks to move up.  

10 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I love playing this on a daily basis...http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

In your defense I've heard Brian Burke say numerous times that  'you'll never hit a home run unless you take a swing for the fence'.

My opinion on the 2019 draft may very well change with the upcoming WJC...I'm looking forward to watching numerous draft potential players competing this Christmas.

Edited by F.Michael

55 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If we're outside looking waaaaay in come the trade deadline, sell everything you can. Howard, Nyquist, Daley, Leftwinger's uncle's cousin who stocks the wife's hospitality suite with Nespresso capsules, etc. 

If this team continues to play well and is in the playoff hunt I think you have to stand pat and give them a chance to play for something. So far, being semi-competitive has done wonders for the development of the youngsters. 

Mostly this. This team should not be buyers under any circumstances. If they are most likely to miss the playoffs, be active sellers, shop your assets. If they are legitimately in the playoff hunt, be passive sellers. If someone comes with a great offer, like Tatars last year, take it. Otherwise stand pat and ride it out.

42 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Look at this year's draft though. Not much to choose from between Hughes and Dobson. Certainly not enough to justify shedding xtra picks to move up.  

Sure, but that changes with each draft class.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

Sure, but that changes with each draft class.

Not really. I think you want to be top 5. And obviously want to draft as high as possible outside of that. But if you're picking in the 6 - 12 (ish) range, especially lately it seems, the gaps get a lot tighter. 

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Mostly this. This team should not be buyers under any circumstances. If they are most likely to miss the playoffs, be active sellers, shop your assets. If they are legitimately in the playoff hunt, be passive sellers. If someone comes with a great offer, like Tatars last year, take it. Otherwise stand pat and ride it out.

Mostly this.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Nobody is stocking my wife's suite with anything unless that suite is in the afterlife. But I am flattered that you are thinking of her! Thanks!

31 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Not really. I think you want to be top 5. And obviously want to draft as high as possible outside of that. But if you're picking in the 6 - 12 (ish) range, especially lately it seems, the gaps get a lot tighter. 

Mostly this.

Didn't Vancouver just get Elias Petterson with the 6th pick two years ago?  If there's a guy with game breaking potential in the top 10 you move up to get him.  Some years those types of players may be there.  Some years they aren't.  My point is that you're more likely to find that kind of player in the top 10, so having the extra picks to move up (if you think you've found a guy like that) is key. We've already got a team of mid-1st round talent.  Now we need some game changers. 

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Buyers or Sellers? Sellers. No question. I am a little nervous though that if we do climb into a playoff spot in the next two months, or even within striking distance, that Holland would turn from seller to buyer. I cannot bring myself to cheer on losses, but I know too much winning could potentially set this team back. We need to sell off any and all UFA's that team's might have interest in, no matter where we sit leading up to the deadline. Hopefully both Nyquist and Howard are dealt and maybe even Daley if any teams are interested.

Holland better stay off the phones if he's even THINKING of buying. Stick to the rebuild, no matter if there's a playoff spot on the horizon or not. This team isn't winning anything, no matter who they pick up. Players out, draft picks in. Not the other way around. That's always worried me about Kenny..the minute this team gets a bit of success again he wants to go all out for a run. Just, no. Patience.

IF this team keeps playing the way they are, they are going to find themselves in the playoffs, which pretty much eliminates us from being sellers, but I hope it does not turn us into buyers. Playoffs or not, I hope that we sell off at least Jimmy and Nyquist for high picks or prospect(s.) We can always revist re-signing them in July, but they may BOTH be looking for significant raises, which I hope we DON'T give them.

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

IF this team keeps playing the way they are, they are going to find themselves in the playoffs, which pretty much eliminates us from being sellers, but I hope it does not turn us into buyers. Playoffs or not, I hope that we sell off at least Jimmy and Nyquist for high picks or prospect(s.) We can always revist re-signing them in July, but they may BOTH be looking for significant raises, which I hope we DON'T give them.

Nah, if this team is playoff bound, Howard and Nyquist won't be going anywhere, knowing Kenny. Holland is already looking to extend Howard. How much of a raise could Howard get? He's at 5.3 million. Holtby makes 6.1 million, and has a Cup, Vezina, and Jennings, but he was signed to that deal before those awards. If they top him up to $6 million, it won't kill the team, but hopefully its only for 2 seasons. 

If we are within shouting distance of a playoff spot how are we going to be able to sell off Howard or Gus?  What kind of message does that send to the the young guys on this team who have busted their ass getting this far? 

11 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

If we are within shouting distance of a playoff spot how are we going to be able to sell off Howard or Gus?  What kind of message does that send to the the young guys on this team who have busted their ass getting this far? 

Gotta be done earlier.  Not at the deadline.

How can we be buyers?  We don't have cap space room and can only offer young prospects in exchange for established players.  That would be a mistake.  I'm not one of these posters who'd rather see them tank and get a high pick.  I want them to try to win every game with this roster.  However, I wouldn't trade any of the best prospects in order to pursue a playoff push that likely ends in a first round loss. 

Ride it out with the current prospects and try to dump players that are older and eating up too much cap space (Abdelkader, Nyquist, Ericsson, Nielsen, etc).