• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jonas Mahonas

Mark Stone

Rate this topic

This is the best available player in the NHL.  And he also fills one of our biggest holes as 1st line, RIGHT HANDED winger.  What would it take to get a sign and trade done with Ottawa?  8 years, 10 million per for Stone.  Wings give up Mantha, Berggren, and their 2019 first.  

What would you be willing to offer?

10 million per?? He's a good player, but his highest single season point total is 64. That's worth what he currently makes, 7.35 million. Not even that, but unfortunately that seems like what the market is at. Nylander got his 8 million per he wanted after signing a front loaded deal. 8 years is long, but he'd be 34 when it expired. Not bad. As for the trade bait..interesting.

34 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

10 million per?? He's a good player, but his highest single season point total is 64. That's worth what he currently makes, 7.35 million. Not even that, but unfortunately that seems like what the market is at. Nylander got his 8 million per he wanted after signing a front loaded deal. 8 years is long, but he'd be 34 when it expired. Not bad. As for the trade bait..interesting.

After this year, he will command that in UFA.

What would you do?

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This is the best available player in the NHL.  And he also fills one of our biggest holes as 1st line, RIGHT HANDED winger.  What would it take to get a sign and trade done with Ottawa?  8 years, 10 million per for Stone.  Wings give up Mantha, Berggren, and their 2019 first.  

What would you be willing to offer?

Stone is a very good player, and I agree that he would fill a huge hole on this team, but he's not worth $10M, nor is he worth those pieces. We could potentially draft Dach or Cozens with that 2019 1st round pick, which project to be basically what Stone is now at 26 years old. We're also giving up Mantha, our current top right-winger and a top prospect in Berggren. Hell No! Stone is a UFA after this season. I'd be okay with Holland going hard after him in the offseason, but I wouldn't want him at anything more than $7.5M x 6 years.

Pass.

draft a RH winger, Sign Erik Karlsson.

Like mentioned, if you want to pursue him UFA, fine, but no way do I want to trade for him. If we could afford to sign both Stone and Karlsson, this team wold be in much better shape that is for sure. But that would involve dumping a lot of salary, PLUS not re-signing Nyquist or HOward.

Edited by LeftWinger

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Stone is a very good player, and I agree that he would fill a huge hole on this team, but he's not worth $10M, nor is he worth those pieces. We could potentially draft Dach or Cozens with that 2019 1st round pick, which project to be basically what Stone is now at 26 years old. We're also giving up Mantha, our current top right-winger and a top prospect in Berggren. Hell No! Stone is a UFA after this season. I'd be okay with Holland going hard after him in the offseason, but I wouldn't want him at anything more than $7.5M x 6 years.

Interesting.  He's a +50 in Ottawa for his career and on a point per game pace this year.  I'd be super surprised if he doesn't get 10+ in UFA/sign and trade.

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Pass.

Like mentioned, if you want to pursue him UFA, fine, but no way do I want to trade for him. If we could afford to sign both Stone and Karlsson, this team wold be in much better shape that is for sure. But that would involve dumping a lot of salary, PLUS not re-signing Nyquist or HOward.

A lot of things have to happen to get both Karlsson and Stone.  I'm thinking Stone is a guy we actually CAN get, though.  Ottawa is going to lose him in UFA.  The whole world knows this.  + Zadina-Larkin and 3-4 mins of pp time a night for 8 years has to be appealing.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Pass.

Karlsson is not coming here.  He wants a cup sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

After this year, he will command that in UFA.

What would you do?

He'd be pricing himself high for the scoring output he's produced. Like others said, try getting him July 1st. The package Ottawa would want is too much. The lottery could go the Wings way this time, gotta hang onto that first. Stone isn't a necessity at this point.

7 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

He'd be pricing himself high for the scoring output he's produced. Like others said, try getting him July 1st. The package Ottawa would want is too much. The lottery could go the Wings way this time, gotta hang onto that first. Stone isn't a necessity at this point.

What if the 1st is the one we get from Tor or Nash for Nyquist?

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

That may change things. Mantha isn't the sticking point for me. 

I'm not that high on anyone in this draft except Cozens and Broberg.  If our pick is top 7 (Broberg projected here), I wouldn't trade it.  If it isn't, I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Karlsson is not coming here.  He wants a cup sooner rather than later.

Based on the Sharks playoff history, he aint gettin one there!

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think Mrs. Holland would.

Obviously trading this year's 1st would require some type of lottery protection, but otherwise that would be a good trade for both sides. Unfortunately, given the Karlsson trade, it's pretty obvious that Ottawa doesn't want to trade in division. We'd have to add something substantial. 

Sucks because I think Stone would be a fantastic fit here, and I doubt he'll make it to UFA for us to even have a chance.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, chaps80 said:

Nylander got $6.9M avg per....big money this year ($16M I think)...but Stone has performed better so far and has more of a track record.  I totally get looking at historical stats (especially for a guy that has been in the league for 10 years), but Stone is 26 and GM's always pay for potential.  That's why you often see, including me, complain about how much a player got and no way he deserves it.....a lot of times that holds true and a lot of times the player develops further and outperforms the contract.

Stone seems to have gotten better and better every year.  He had an injury shortened season last year and only played 58 games...his pace was 87pts though I believe and he's currently on pace for 90pts.  If that happens, he'll get big dollars as a UFA....that's the other data point here......GM's always overpay for UFA's, its just the way it is, which is why you also see guys get a little bit more in longer deals at younger ages so the teams can buy up some of their UFA years.

All that said, I wouldn't want to give him $10M, or the players suggested it would take to get him, I just don't think it's far fetched to think that would be the price tag.

I don't see any scenario where it makes sense to acquire him. There are 2 options, trade for, or sign as UFA. If you trade for him, you are going to have to give up young prospects and/or draft picks. And we aren't talking about a conditional 3rd rounder or Axel Holmstrom either. More like a 2019 first and/or someone like Cholo, Bert, etc. No way I am giving that up for a 28? year old. The 2nd option is to sign him in free agency. Y'know that time of the year when GM's grossly overpay for players? Why would I sign a guy like Stone to that kind of money when I can sign younger, promising players to much less? Stay away from Mark Stone Ken. Stay far away.

11 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I don't see any scenario where it makes sense to acquire him. There are 2 options, trade for, or sign as UFA. If you trade for him, you are going to have to give up young prospects and/or draft picks. And we aren't talking about a conditional 3rd rounder or Axel Holmstrom either. More like a 2019 first and/or someone like Cholo, Bert, etc. No way I am giving that up for a 28? year old. The 2nd option is to sign him in free agency. Y'know that time of the year when GM's grossly overpay for players? Why would I sign a guy like Stone to that kind of money when I can sign younger, promising players to much less? Stay away from Mark Stone Ken. Stay far away.

I agree that it would cost far too much to acquire Stone via trade, and I also agree that we'd probably have to overpay in free agency, but who are these younger, more promising players that you can sign for much less? There aren't any. (Stone is 26, not 28). I'd love to have Stone on this team, but I wouldn't want him at anything close to $10M, and he will likely get close to that on the open market. So yeah, I guess I agree. Stay away Ken. Continue drafting and developing.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that it would cost far too much to acquire Stone via trade, and I also agree that we'd probably have to overpay in free agency, but who are these younger, more promising players that you can sign for much less? There aren't any. (Stone is 26, not 28). I'd love to have Stone on this team, but I wouldn't want him at anything close to $10M, and he will likely get close to that on the open market. So yeah, I guess I agree. Stay away Ken. Continue drafting and developing.

Ottawa knows they will lose him for nothing.  They will take best offer.  Sign and trade so max contract length.  8 years, 80 million.  That's super fair.  We give up pick #10, Mantha, and Turgeon.  Huge win for us.

18 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I was talking about RFAs on this team, not UFAs.