• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

12/8 Window or Isle GDT - Islanders @ Red Wings - 7:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

Maybe it's just that I'm sour (probably), but I'm gonna rag on Blashill a bit. Things that stood out to me:

1. Seemingly no one was being held accountable for anything tonight
  2. There's no excuse for blowing leads like we've been blowing them
  3. The power play is broken
  4. We spent at least half of that 3rd period trying the same east-west passing on our zone entries and every time it was an exercise in futility

Re: 1 a -- Ericsson was bad tonight. Lazy mistakes. On the ice for the first Isles goal, and Blashill keeps him -- and everyone else who just got beat -- on the ice. What happens? Ericsson takes a penalty. Not long after, it's a 5-on-3 kill and a tie game.

Re: 1 b -- Tell AA to control the puck or he's not going to play. If a light breeze is enough to strip him of the puck, he shouldn't be playing.

Re: 1 c -- Vanek was bad tonight. That botched pass with the goalie pulled that led to an easy clear should've been the last straw. But no, he stays on the ice for the faceoff, because no one's accountable for anything.

Re: 2 -- Blowing multi-goal leads has become routine for us. That's unacceptable. What can be done about it? I'd start by demanding more aggressive pressure in the D-zone when we have a multi-goal lead. Sitting back in a tight shell and letting the opposition fire away is an ok strategy if it's a tie game or you're up/down by a goal, but when you're up a couple goals with a ton of time left and you know the other team is going to be pressing hard, I think you need to try to counter that push with, well, some pushback. Instead of doubling down on the normal strategy (sink back, box out, sticks in lanes, stand around, pray), focus on disruption. Don't let them get comforable with the puck. Don't let them establish ownership of the puck. Otherwise, you're just indulging and enabling their comeback effort.

You're not wrong. Exactly the kind of thing I expect to see with young teams. This is where coaching needs to come in. This team is able to come back from deficits (younger players, more stamina/speed, gassed opponents), but can't hold leads (poor execution, poor coverage, poor decision making). They play better when in "run and gun" mode (when caution is trumped by desperation), but poorly when structure and discipline come in play to finish a game out. I expect we will be seeing a lot of this unfortunately. Young team, poor coaching.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

12 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You're not wrong. Exactly the kind of thing I expect to see with young teams. This is where coaching needs to come in. This team is able to come back from deficits (younger players, more stamina/speed, gassed opponents), but can't hold leads (poor execution, poor coverage, poor decision making). They play better when in "run and gun" mode (when caution is trumped by desperation), but poorly when structure and discipline come in play to finish a game out. I expect we will be seeing a lot of this unfortunately. Young team, poor coaching.

Team ain't even all that young tho. (The D corps is almost entirely grizzled veterans.) And blowing leads has been a thing for a while now.

In this area, I do think the blame falls mostly on the coaching. The opposition kicks into a higher gear, we facilitate their resurgence by giving them lots of time and space in our end, we panic, we start running around -- the collapse/comeback is basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. We tempt fate by doubling down on the way we play instead of adjusting the way we play to suit the given circumstances, and we do this because it's all we know how to do, apparently. It seems there's no real Plan B when Plan A ("box them out") isn't cutting it. "I like Glenny because Glenny's a stopper; he's real good defensively and he's an elite, elite shot-blocker" is not good enough. Leaning on "stoppers" is basically taking the L before the game's even over.

I like Blashill. I think he's mostly good for this team. I think he doesn't have much to work with and he's done a pretty good job of squeezing blood from a stone. All of which just makes these collapses and assorted fixable problems that much tougher to swallow. So close, yet so far...

We probably should have seen this one coming. After playing four really good teams and more than holding our own we come up against we should beat and come up flat. It happens. Ask the fans of those four teams how they felt about those games ( even Colorado ) and they likely werent thrilled. We lost. Learn and move on. We’ve played close to 30 games and only been blown out twice. Overall it’s been a good year

36 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

We’ve played close to 30 games and only been blown out twice.

Was thinking about this last night.

In victory and defeat, the games are always close. I guess it's been that way for the past few years, but it's unmistakably a thing this season. On the one hand it's troubling, because virtually all of our wins are unconvincing one-goal squeakers. On the other hand it's encouraging, because we're not an easy two points for anyone, and that's all you can really ask of a team like ours.

Edited by Dabura

14 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

We aren’t that young anymore so I don’t think we can use that excuse much. It’s strictly coaching. I’m okay with blowing a lead in a game and have the coach use that as a learning experience. Unfortunately we keep seeing it and Blashill isn’t doing anything (that we see but the scores keep showing he isn’t).