• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweFan

Zadina hurt?

Rate this topic

Detroit Red Wings will send Filip Zadina to World Juniors. Here's why [Detroit Free Press]

The Wings considered keeping Zadina with the Grand Rapids Griffins but  decided on a compromise: while training camps for the tournament begin next week, the Wings won't allow Zadina to join in until Dec. 20. 

“I think it’s great for him,” Wings coach Jeff Blashill said. “It’s hard to be in real confident situations when you get into pro hockey, and I think he can go to play for the Czechs and be the man.

7 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

So why does he have to sit 3 weeks?

I'm not really clear on that. Could be precautionary (i.e. the Czechs not wanting him to get hurt between now and the tournament), could be that he actually is a bit banged up and they're not taking any chances.

STIPULATION: Zadina is young and can still grow into the player we expect him to be

That said, he's not all that impressive so far. For a kid who was supposed to be nearly NHL ready he's not even that noticeable at the AHL level so far.

Carter, Terry, Elson, and Puempel are running that team right now. Zadina is an after thought. I honestly would have been fine sending him back to juniors at this point, but no doubt he's gaining valuable experience with the Griffins. Just saying this kid is well behind the hype.

16 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Wrong draft... Should have taken Bouchard...

I know it's the wrong draft. It's just what I say when people go all hindsight and stuff with drafted players.

LGWs: "OMG why did we take Brendan Smith when we could have had Subban!!! FML FIRE HOLLAND!!!!!"

Zombo: "Should have taken Vilardi"

It's really kind of a dig at the whole Rasmussen freak-out meltdown that occurred here in 2017. Should have taken Vilardi

(also, should have taken Hughes, not Bouchard)

34 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I know it's the wrong draft. It's just what I say when people go all hindsight and stuff with drafted players.

LGWs: "OMG why did we take Brendan Smith when we could have had Subban!!! FML FIRE HOLLAND!!!!!"

Zombo: "Should have taken Vilardi"

It's really kind of a dig at the whole Rasmussen freak-out meltdown that occurred here in 2017. Should have taken Vilardi

(also, should have taken Hughes, not Bouchard)

People that were saying "should have drafted Vilardi" weren't saying that in hindsight though. They were saying it on draft day. Using hindsight, most would agree that (as of now) Rasmussen looks like the better pick.

Also, no. Bouchard > Hughes in my opinion. Big, right-handed, puck moving defensemen are like gold in the NHL. Also, exactly what this team needs. Cholowski looks like a legit top pairing defenseman. I think Bouchard would have been a great compliment on the other side.

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

STIPULATION: Zadina is young and can still grow into the player we expect him to be

That said, he's not all that impressive so far. For a kid who was supposed to be nearly NHL ready he's not even that noticeable at the AHL level so far.

Carter, Terry, Elson, and Puempel are running that team right now. Zadina is an after thought. I honestly would have been fine sending him back to juniors at this point, but no doubt he's gaining valuable experience with the Griffins. Just saying this kid is well behind the hype.

Bolded: Good start.

Pretty much agree with the rest, though I wouldn't send him back to juniors.