• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2019 or 2020?

Rate this topic

Let's say we have two more seasons hovering around the bottom of the standings before we're a playoff team. We're guaranteed to win the draft lottery in one of the next two years. The other year, we pick in the 6-10 range. Which year would you rather the number one overall pick? 2019 - Jack Hughes? Or 2020 - Alexis Lafrenière?

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Let's say we have two more seasons hovering around the bottom of the standings before we're a playoff team. We're guaranteed to win the draft lottery in one of the next two years. The other year, we pick in the 6-10 range. Which year would you rather the number one overall pick? 2019 - Jack Hughes? Or 2020 - Alexis Lafrenière?

I want Hughes. With that said, I haven't looked at Alexis Lafrelkjasejwoier at all. I do think Hughes will be a big deal though. 

22 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I want Hughes. With that said, I haven't looked at Alexis Lafrelkjasejwoier at all. I do think Hughes will be a big deal though. 

No, no, no Alexis Lafrenière, not Lafrelkjasejwoier. I don't think Lafrelkjasejwoier is that great to be honest. Likely going to be a bust... Lafrenière on the other hand is going to be a stud. Getting Crosby / McDavid sort of hype...

Personally, I think I'd prefer Lafrenière over Hughes, but both are likely going to be studs. Hughes best comparable is probably Patrick Kane. I've heard Lafrenière being compared to Crosby, but Taylor Hall may be a better comparison. Can't really go wrong with either of those players... Lafrelkjasejwoier is more like a Nail Yakupov...

55 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I never heard of Alexis whatevah his name is...

Hughes is 'Murican...Hughes is 'Mishgan...Hughes for 2019!

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Lafreniere has been turning heads since he was 15. Like Crosby at that age. Think he'll be the better player, so I would rather have him. Plus, the Habs will offer the moon for this kid since he sounds French.

If you land that type of player though, you don't trade him. He has the potential to be as good as McDavid / Matthews, except he's a winger, not a center.

I guess I'd go with 2020. The Hughes HYPE! is real, but I haven't seen anyone dare to suggest he could be Crosby-good. Meanwhile, Lafreniere's already being saddled with the Crosby comparison. Granted, I think that's largely down to 1) Lafreniere playing for the same QMJHL team that Crosby played for, and 2) Canadian hockey media being Canadian hockey media. But there's no denying the kid is an enormous talent. 42 goals and 80 points in 60 regular-season games last season (and 4 goals and 7 points over 7 playoff games), as a QMJHL rookie. This season: 17 goals and 54 points in 31 games. They're not Crosby numbers (Crosby put up 135 points in his QMJHL rookie season), but they are 2018-19 Joe Veleno numbers. Think about how happy we are as Wings fans to see Veleno producing like he is and then consider how good a kid would have to be to put up the same kind of numbers before his NHL draft season.

30 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'm not a big fan of Jack Hughes.  I LOVE Quinn though.  Vancouver is going to be dominant very soon.

You think Quinn is better than Jack? You're the only one...

11 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I go for 2020.

I trade our 2019 1st to Vancouver for their 2020 1st. They'd love a shot at Hughes x2, I'd then have 2 top 10 picks in 2020 including one of which is Alexis, the legit sniping winger we need! 

I wouldn't do this. Our 2019 1st round pick could and likely will be higher than Vancouver's 2020 1st round pick.

41 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You think Quinn is better than Jack? You're the only one...

I wouldn't do this. Our 2019 1st round pick could and likely will be higher than Vancouver's 2020 1st round pick.

Right, but the OP was whichever 1st you keep you win the lottery. So I get the #1 in 2020 and Vancouver #10, let's say all for trading our 1st to Vancouver for a chance for them to get the 2nd Hughes.

8 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Right, but the OP was whichever 1st you keep you win the lottery. So I get the #1 in 2020 and Vancouver #10, let's say all for trading our 1st to Vancouver for a chance for them to get the 2nd Hughes.

Yes, so you chose to win the lottery in 2020, meaning we would pick in the 6-10 range in 2019. You're trading our 2019 1st round pick to Vancouver for their 2020 1st round pick. Correct?

My question is, what makes you so sure that Vancouver are going to pick 10th overall in 2020? What if their pick ends up being 20th overall or later? I wouldn't bet on Vancouver being that good, that soon, but it is possible. They already have a lot of very good, young pieces on their team. Who's to say they don't have a quick turnaround next season like Buffalo did this season?

Sure, we could trade our 2019 10th overall pick for Vancouver's 2020 10th overall pick, but there's no way to know that's where Vancouver would be picking. I just think it's foolish to trade 1st round picks when you have no idea where the other team will be picking the following year.

It doesn't matter. I'm trading our 2019 1st for a guaranteed #1 overall in 2020 (in your scenario) I'm not even getting a top 10 in 2019, but I may have 2 others after reading Nyquist and Howard. I just used #10 for Vancouver as an example, maybe it'll be #27, who knows, who cares, I have the lottery 1st over all in that same draft.

Or maybe I swap 2019 1st round picks and still have the 2020 #1.

Or, yes, even if there was no trade involved, I'd be perfectly happy with getting #6 this year and #1 next. Not that we would not be in great shape if those were reversed either.

I'd, as well as everyone, would be a ecstatic with either, but I would choose 2020 over 2019. Natural winger vs. Natural center. That's the only reason.

I know it's not part of your question, but we could possibly get both #1's! Wow! Of course I'd hate to see our payroll in 4-7 years! :lol:

57 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It doesn't matter. I'm trading our 2019 1st for a guaranteed #1 overall in 2020 (in your scenario) I'm not even getting a top 10 in 2019, but I may have 2 others after reading Nyquist and Howard. I just used #10 for Vancouver as an example, maybe it'll be #27, who knows, who cares, I have the lottery 1st over all in that same draft.

Or maybe I swap 2019 1st round picks and still have the 2020 #1.

Or, yes, even if there was no trade involved, I'd be perfectly happy with getting #6 this year and #1 next. Not that we would not be in great shape if those were reversed either.

You wouldn't be trading the 2019 1st for 2020 first overall though. You already have the 2020 1st overall pick... You'd be trading the 2019 1st for Vancouver's 2020 1st, which could be anything from 2nd overall to 31st overall. For that reason, neither Detroit or Vancouver would make that trade. Way too much uncertainty.

42 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'd, as well as everyone, would be a ecstatic with either, but I would choose 2020 over 2019. Natural winger vs. Natural center. That's the only reason.

I know it's not part of your question, but we could possibly get both #1's! Wow! Of course I'd hate to see our payroll in 4-7 years! :lol:

You'd prefer the winger over the center? Hughes is the "natural" center (although I think he could end up as an winger in the NHL), and Lafreniere is the winger.

I honestly hadn't really heard much about Lafreniere until now, so I certainly haven't heard about him being compared to Crosby.....where is that coming from?  I watched the video above and the only real link they made was the fact that he's a potential 1st overall pick coming from the QMJHL, then a comment that he has a desire to always get better.  There was no indication at all that they thought he could be as good of a player as Crosby (they didn't suggest otherwise, but never got into that conversation).  I checked the highlights and nothing stood out too much (if you compare that to Crosby's highlights from junior) and if you just look at stats, it's not even close.

18 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

I honestly hadn't really heard much about Lafreniere until now, so I certainly haven't heard about him being compared to Crosby.....where is that coming from?  I watched the video above and the only real link they made was the fact that he's a potential 1st overall pick coming from the QMJHL, then a comment that he has a desire to always get better.  There was no indication at all that they thought he could be as good of a player as Crosby (they didn't suggest otherwise, but never got into that conversation).  I checked the highlights and nothing stood out too much (if you compare that to Crosby's highlights from junior) and if you just look at stats, it's not even close.

I assume you're living outside of Canada? This kid has been compared to Crosby (the next "hockey prodigy") for the past 5+ years. That hype has probably died down a little over the past couple years though. I agree, he likely won't be anywhere near the level of Crosby / McDavid, which is why I said that Taylor Hall (or Nathan MacKinnon) is probably more of an apt comparison.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/comparisons-sidney-crosby-not-easy-alexis-lafreniere-ignore/

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I assume you're living outside of Canada? This kid has been compared to Crosby (the next "hockey prodigy") for the past 5+ years. That hype has probably died down a little over the past couple years though. I agree, he likely won't be anywhere near the level of Crosby / McDavid, which is why I said that Taylor Hall (or Nathan MacKinnon) is probably more of an apt comparison.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/comparisons-sidney-crosby-not-easy-alexis-lafreniere-ignore/

No, I'm in Canada, from Nova Scotia, but live in Toronto now.  Perhaps there is more buzz in eastern Canada or perhaps its because I don't tend to pay much attention to junior hockey anymore outside of the World Juniors.  I just figured if there was that much hype, I would have heard more about him (e.g. I heard a lot about McDavid coming up...from when he was about 15).

As someone mentioned, I think a lot of the comparison seems to come from him joining the same junior team.

32 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

No, I'm in Canada, from Nova Scotia, but live in Toronto now.  Perhaps there is more buzz in eastern Canada or perhaps its because I don't tend to pay much attention to junior hockey anymore outside of the World Juniors.  I just figured if there was that much hype, I would have heard more about him (e.g. I heard a lot about McDavid coming up...from when he was about 15).

As someone mentioned, I think a lot of the comparison seems to come from him joining the same junior team.

The hype (comparison to Crosby) was there (even more so) before he ever was ever drafted by Rimouski though. I've been hearing about him since around the same age we started hearing about McDavid and Crosby. He was expected to be in the same mold when he was much younger. So far, he's fallen a little short. Regardless, Crosby / McDavid shouldn't be the bar (not saying you're saying it should be). I would prefer Lafreniere over Hughes, but adding either would be HUGE for this team.