• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweFan

World Juniors

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, HoweFan said:

Did the rosters get finalized yet?  Last I heard was Canada had a couple more cuts to make.  Not sure about the USA.  How many of this years draft class made it?

I don't know if all the rosters are finalized yet.  I've seen Canada's roster, it looks final and includes Leason (2019 eligible) and Lafreniere (2020 eligible).  The roster I've seen for the US looks like it's missing a few, but currently includes Hughes and Knight (both 2019 eligible).  Not sure about the other countries as the only rosters I've seen are clearly not final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to see  Canada vs Slovakia ( pre tourney ) and then Sweden vs Finland and USA vs Slovakia on boxing day. Can someone give me a quick run down of what Wings prospects I can expect to see in these games for these teams. 


Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, puckbags said:

I am going to see  Canada vs Slovakia ( pre tourney ) and then Sweden vs Finland and USA vs Slovakia on boxing day. Can someone give me a quick run down of what Wings prospects I can expect to see in these games for these teams. 


Thanks 

Veleno and McIsaac for team Canada. That's pretty much it for the teams you'll be seeing.

Zadina is playing for the Czechs and Setkov for the Danes.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Veleno and McIsaac for team Canada. That's pretty much it for the teams you'll be seeing.

Zadina is playing for the Czechs and Setkov for the Danes.

Thanks. Unfortunately I won't be heading over to Vancouver for any games. Just the pool play in Victoria. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Veleno (#9) and McIsaac (#4) are playing against Switzerland now.

1-0 Swiss. Veleno and McIsaac -1...

1-1 Cody Glass scores.

The Swiss. The most politically and militarily neutral country in the world who also happen to make the best army knives and military watches...the irony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 5:39 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The Swiss. The most politically and militarily neutral country in the world who also happen to make the best army knives and military watches...the irony.

And making good progress in the game of hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2018 at 10:39 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The Swiss. The most politically and militarily neutral country in the world who also happen to make the best army knives and military watches...the irony.

And one of my favorite firearms:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

OP?

Overpowered. :)

I think I jinxed him. Was looking really good early on, then the Czechs ran into a lot of penalty trouble in the 2nd which meant he basically didn't play, and now it's the 3rd and he's kind of quiet.

(Game is tied at 1.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over a week old, but good draft rankings are hard to come by and DobberProspects is one of the better resources out there:

2019 NHL Draft Rankings - WJC Mini Version (December 2018) [DobberProspects]

Quote

TIER 1

  1. Jack Hughes, C / 05-14-01 / 5’10 161lbs / USNTDP

We’re running out of superlatives for the electrifying 17-year-old. Hughes brings dynamic acceleration, jaw-dropping speed, sharp edgework, deft puck skills… I can keep going but you get the idea. He’s been at his best when his USNTDP team has played high-end NCAA squads. Hughes will play a prominent role with the Americans at the WJC and has the ability to rack up big totals despite being two years younger than most of the competition. A franchise player in the making.

Quote

TIER 2

  1. Kaapo Kakko, RW/C / 02-13-01 / 6’2 207lbs / Liiga

The Patrik Laine to Hughes’ Matthews. If this was a different year, the Finnish winger would be sitting pretty in the pole position. Kakko blends size, speed, finishing ability and terrific vision. He doesn’t blow you away with any one skill, but his arsenal of weapons come together to be extremely productive. He’s looking more and more comfortable in the middle of the ice as a 17-year-old in the Liiga. It’s expected he’ll play some centre at the WJC as well. That will only further solidify his spot as the second-best prospect available.  

Quote

TIER 3

  1. Dylan Cozens, C / 02-09-01 / 6’3 185lbs / WHL

A long, powerful stride drives his elite speed. He’s a complete player with skill to burn in a sizable frame. Cozens owns an accurate and heavy release and uses that threat to look-off defenders and slide crisp passes into his mate’s wheelhouses. Loves to win one-on-one battles. As expected, he’s putting up big numbers with Lethbridge. A smart player who can be leaned on. Top line upside.

  1. Vasili Podkolzin, RW / 06-24-01 / 6’1 190lbs / VHL

Showed the world what type of talent he owns at the Hlinka in August and has followed that up at the recent World Jr. A Championships. A shifty, creative and dangerous winger who loves to use quick cuts. He can split the defence and finish it himself or draw coverage and deftly distribute to a cutting teammate. A potential high-end point producer at the NHL-level.

  1. Kirby Dach, C / 01-21-01 / 6’4 198lbs / WHL

A pass-first centre who owns a long and fluid stride. A cerebral player with great vision and distribution skills. He lacks explosiveness with his skating and can stand to play with more pace at times. But this is a player with a huge upside. Can pile up points in bunches.

Draft HYPE!

Edited by Dabura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Over a week old, but good draft rankings are hard to come by and DobberProspects is one of the better resources out there:

2019 NHL Draft Rankings - WJC Mini Version (December 2018) [DobberProspects]

Draft HYPE!

Hughes at 161 lbs?  That's concussion problems in the NHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Hughes at 161 lbs?  That's concussion problems in the NHL.

I feel like there isn't much of a connection between size and concussions. I suspect it's more about the type of game you play and the situations you tend to put yourself in. Aaron Ekblad and Auston Matthews are big men and each of them has already suffered multiple concussions.

Hughes is the same size as Brayden Point, FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Hughes at 161 lbs?  That's concussion problems in the NHL.

You think Hughes will stay at 161lbs? He'll likely get above 170, and maybe even above 180 in the next year or so, which is fine. Alex DeBrincat, Johnny Gaudreau, Brayden Point, Artemi Panarin, Nikolaj Ehlers, Nico Hischier, Mitch Marner, Sebastian Aho, Patrick Kane, Nikita Kucherov etc. seem to be doing okay at that size or smaller...

Also, size has nothing to do with "concussion problems" in the NHL... Some of the most prominent names that have had their careers cut short due to concussion issues include Eric Lindros, Scott Steven, Keith Primeau, Johan Franzen, etc... all big men. Of course some smaller guys, namely Paul Kariya and Pat Lafontaine had their careers cut short due to concussions as well. Point is, there's no correlation between size and risk of concussions.

Dylan Cozens and Kirby Dach, who are both NHL size now, have just as much a risk of concussion as Jack Hughes. Maybe even more so because of how smart and elusive Hughes is on the ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You think Hughes will stay at 161lbs? He'll likely get above 170, and maybe even above 180 in the next year or so, which is fine. Alex DeBrincat, Johnny Gaudreau, Brayden Point, Artemi Panarin, Nikolaj Ehlers, Nico Hischier, Mitch Marner, Sebastian Aho, Patrick Kane, Nikita Kucherov etc. seem to be doing okay at that size or smaller...

Also, size has nothing to do with "concussion problems" in the NHL... Some of the most prominent names that have had their careers cut short due to concussion issues include Eric Lindros, Scott Steven, Keith Primeau, Johan Franzen, etc... all big men. Of course some smaller guys, namely Paul Kariya and Pat Lafontaine had their careers cut short due to concussions as well. Point is, there's no correlation between size and risk of concussions.

Dylan Cozens and Kirby Dach, who are both NHL size now, have just as much a risk of concussion as Jack Hughes. Maybe even more so because of how smart and elusive Hughes is on the ice.

I'm worried about Hughes.  He's so small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this