• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweFan

World Juniors

Rate this topic

Who's this Zadina guy? Been a ghost the last 2 games. Had a few moments late in the 3rd period, yesterday, but other than that, invisible. 

Glad to see that Veleno had a good game. He was looking to be the odd man out, but after his play tonight, I think he'll stay in the lineup. 

In other games, Sweden is just making The US team look like they don't belong on the same sheet of ice. Looks like fatigue is starting to set in on The Boys in Blue.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:15 PM, BigWillieStyle said:

Who's this Zadina guy? Been a ghost the last 2 games. Had a few moments late in the 3rd period, yesterday, but other than that, invisible. 

I would think that the ability to become invisible would be a huge advantage for a hockey player.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, krsmith17 said:

You think Hughes will stay at 161lbs? He'll likely get above 170, and maybe even above 180 in the next year or so, which is fine. Alex DeBrincat, Johnny Gaudreau, Brayden Point, Artemi Panarin, Nikolaj Ehlers, Nico Hischier, Mitch Marner, Sebastian Aho, Patrick Kane, Nikita Kucherov etc. seem to be doing okay at that size or smaller...

Also, size has nothing to do with "concussion problems" in the NHL... Some of the most prominent names that have had their careers cut short due to concussion issues include Eric Lindros, Scott Steven, Keith Primeau, Johan Franzen, etc... all big men. Of course some smaller guys, namely Paul Kariya and Pat Lafontaine had their careers cut short due to concussions as well. Point is, there's no correlation between size and risk of concussions.

Dylan Cozens and Kirby Dach, who are both NHL size now, have just as much a risk of concussion as Jack Hughes. Maybe even more so because of how smart and elusive Hughes is on the ice.

Not sure if anyone has ever done an analysis on it, but I'm sure size has nothing to do with it as well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see more big guys though, because I'm guessing those guys are expected to play more physical, so put themselves in that position more often, even in initiating contact themselves.

Scott Stevens, while true, retired ultimately due to post-concussion syndrome, probably misleading to suggest his career was cut short.....he played until he was 40 and has played more games than any other defenseman in the history of the NHL (8th overall).

On 12/29/2018 at 9:06 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'm worried about Hughes.  He's so small.

• Alex DeBrincat - 5'7-165
  • Johnny Gaudreau - 5'9-165
  • Patrick Kane - 5'10-177
  • Travis Konecny - 5'10-175
  • Brayden Point - 5'10-166
  • Et al.

Hughes will be fine. He'll fill out, he'll get stronger, and he'll likely settle in as a winger at the NHL level. You can take a bigger guy with the 1st overall pick, but aside from maybe Kakko, Hughes is the only player in this draft who's almost guaranteed to become a superstar. Everyone else, aside from maybe Kakko, is a long shot to become the kind of gamechanging player that the Wings so desperately need.

4 hours ago, Dabura said:
  • Alex DeBrincat - 5'7-165
  • Johnny Gaudreau - 5'9-165
  • Patrick Kane - 5'10-177
  • Travis Konecny - 5'10-175
  • Brayden Point - 5'10-166
  • Et al.

Hughes will be fine. He'll fill out, he'll get stronger, and he'll likely settle in as a winger at the NHL level. You can take a bigger guy with the 1st overall pick, but aside from maybe Kakko, Hughes is the only player in this draft who's almost guaranteed to become a superstar. Everyone else, aside from maybe Kakko, is a long shot to become the kind of gamechanging player that the Wings so desperately need.

I'm really concerned about Hughes' size.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:39 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The Swiss. The most politically and militarily neutral country in the world who also happen to make the best army knives and military watches...the irony.

On 12/26/2018 at 2:39 AM, miksteri said:

And making good progress in the game of hockey.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:30 AM, Dabura said:

And one of my favorite firearms:

I work for a Swiss manufacturer and spend a decent amount of time there every year. IMHO, on a cultural level the Swiss have an insane level of attention to detail. This makes them ideal manufacturers of quality goods. If it comes from Switzerland - whether it's a watch, knife, gun, cheese, chocolate, etc. - you're more than likely getting a quality well-made product. I would describe them as obsessed with quality. The exact opposite of the Chinese mentality.

I have many opinions about the Swiss. Did you know they are the descendants of the Knights Templar? Ask me about it and I will happily derail this thread for a good rant.

Bern is a great place to catch a hockey game. I'd make the case that it may be the best place to catch a hockey game in all of Europe. Bonus if you speak French. Also probably one of the most beautiful countries on this planet. Everything there is expensive as s*** thou.

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I work for a Swiss manufacturer and spend a decent amount of time there every year. IMHO, on a cultural level the Swiss have an insane level of attention to detail. This makes them ideal manufacturers of quality goods. If it comes from Switzerland - whether it's a watch, knife, gun, cheese, chocolate, etc. - you're more than likely getting a quality well-made product. I would describe them as obsessed with quality. The exact opposite of the Chinese mentality.

I have many opinions about the Swiss. Did you know they are the descendants of the Knights Templar? Ask me about it and I will happily derail this thread for a good rant.

Bern is a great place to catch a hockey game. I'd make the case that it may be the best place to catch a hockey game in all of Europe. Bonus if you speak French. Also probably one of the most beautiful countries on this planet. Everything there is expensive as s*** thou.

I'm interested to read.

24 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'm interested to read.

Alright. Done.

in 1307 King Philip of France orders the Templars be round up and arrested. Pope agrees. Overnight about 20,000 Templar Knights have now become enemies of all of Europe... Now, if you are a Templar knight what do you do? Turn yourself in? No, you flee. Where does one flee when you live in medieval Europe? There's only one spot... the Alps. Coincidentally this is exactly where Switzerland is located...

Now look at the flag of Switzerland and the flag of the knights Templar...

s-l640.jpg

Templar flag

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFS9wZKnWuPtNqh86a65q

Swiss flag

They are essentially the same, just inverse colors... another strange coincidence...

Continuing... if you know your history you know that shortly after this time (when the Templars were disbanded and charged as heretics) the Swiss pikemen suddenly become the most coveted mercenary army in all of Europe. Kings will get into bidding wars for their services, and some kings will even refuse to fight wars unless they have Swiss pikemen in their ranks. How did a small country of alpine farmers/herders have such a meteoric rise to become the most deadliest warriors in all of Europe???? *Cough* Templar knights *cough*

Ever heard of Swiss banking? Banking systems so coveted and secret we don't even know much about them to this day. What were the Templars good at besides fighting? Oh that's right... banking. Which is essentially the reason King Philip declared them heretical criminals... he owed them lots of money...

So essentially I'm asserting that the Knights Templar were disbanded, fled to the Alps (Switzerland), and immediately went back to doing what they were good at: Banking and fighting. And this is essentially the foundation of the modern Switzerland we know today... although now they quit with most of the fighting and now just war profiteer (see WW1 and WW2)

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Alright. Done.

in 1307 King Philip of France orders the Templars be round up and arrested. Pope agrees. Overnight about 20,000 Templar Knights have now become enemies of all of Europe... Now, if you are a Templar knight what do you do? Turn yourself in? No, you flee. Where does one flee when you live in medieval Europe? There's only one spot... the Alps. Coincidentally this is exactly where Switzerland is located...

s-l640.jpg

Templar flag

Swiss flag

They are essentially the same, just inverse colors... another strange coincidence...

Continuing... if you know your history you know that shortly after this time (when the Templars were disbanded and charged as heretics) the Swiss pikemen suddenly become the most coveted mercenary army in all of Europe. Kings will get into bidding wars for their services, and some kings will even refuse to fight wars unless they have Swiss pikemen in their ranks. How did a small country of alpine farmers/herders have such a meteoric rise to become the most deadliest warriors in all of Europe????

Ever heard of Swiss banking? Banking systems so coveted and secret we don't even know much about them to this day. What were the Templars good at besides fighting? Oh that's right... banking. Which is essentially the reason King Philip declared them heretical criminals... he owed them lots of money...

So essentially I'm asserting that the Knights Templar were disbanded, fled to the Alps (Switzerland), and immediately went back to doing what they were good at: Banking and fighting. And this is essentially the foundation of the modern Switzerland we know today... although now they quit with most of the fighting and now just war profiteer (see WW1 and WW2)

Pfft - yeah that's all fine, and dandy .but did they have...

file-20180903-41729-1xnbp60.jpg?ixlib=rb

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Alright. Done.

s-l640.jpg

Templar flag

Swiss flag

Continuing... if you know your history you know that shortly after this time (when the Templars were disbanded and charged as heretics) the Swiss pikemen suddenly become the most coveted mercenary army in all of Europe. Kings will get into bidding wars for their services, and some kings will even refuse to fight wars unless they have Swiss pikemen in their ranks. How did a small country of alpine farmers/herders have such a meteoric rise to become the most deadliest warriors in all of Europe???? *Cough* Templar knights *cough*

Edited by Hockeymom1960

5 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Pfft - yeah that's all fine, and dandy .but did they have...

file-20180903-41729-1xnbp60.jpg?ixlib=rb

Trust me, I have my critiques of the modern Swiss as well (they suffer from soft-euro syndrome)

North Americans are just more Alpha than our Euro counterparts, not exclusively on an individual level per say, but culturally as a whole yes