• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

12/29 Onwards GDT - Red Wings @ Stars - 8:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Mckinley25 said:

There are eight teams below the Wings in the standings, but only three points across that spread.  Chicago is the only team with more games played than Detroit.  The standings could look very different come the first of January.

Slow-motion free fall.

I try to avoid SBNation these days, because Vox is a pox upon us all and I don't want to give them the clicks. That being said, the Lites comments are too wild to not bring up in this GDT, and I've always felt the folks at Defending Big D do pretty good work (i.e. mostly bulls***-free). So here's some stuff from them:

Dallas Stars Daily Links: Stars Make Headlines as Lites Calls out Top Players [Defending Big D]

Opinion: Stars Have Bigger Problem Than Benn and Seguin's Play [Defending Big D]

How The Stars Compare with Core Scoring Across the League [Defending Big D]

From that third piece:

The Dallas Stars’ core are getting plenty of pucks to the net and are shooting career average. They aren’t over-performing and that’s fine. Sure, Seguin shooting just 8% hurts. However, he’s only an 11% career shooter. To translate, if he was having just an “average” Seguin season, it’d be an extra four goals. The Stars core aren’t having a “bad” season so far; they’re just okay.

Go back up and look at Nashville’s stats. The Nashville Predators are a very strong team, yet their core scoring isn’t good at all. If we went in and broke down depth scoring league-wide, I think it’s safe to say they would lead the charts. Which makes a last point — core scoring is just half the story. If you have a depth core that can add goals, you don’t have to rely on your top three to have above-average seasons. This is one of my biggest worries with the depth of the current Stars’ roster — I don’t see anyone who can hit the 20-goal mark by the end of the season. There are not a lot of goals in the depth which, in return, puts a lot of pressure on Benn, Seguin, and Radulov to over-perform.

When a team doesn’t have any hot scorers and the core is shooting near or at career average, they really need the depth to pitch in and help fill the void. Depth scoring can be saved for another article, but it is safe to say the Dallas Stars aren’t currently getting any help in the goal department from their depth. When the core is shooting a little below average and the depth appears non-existent, this is simply what happens — a 27th ranked G/GP team.

I'm expecting a pissed off Stars team tonight.

That bit about Seguin interests me:

The Dallas Stars’ core are getting plenty of pucks to the net and are shooting career average. They aren’t over-performing and that’s fine. Sure, Seguin shooting just 8% hurts. However, he’s only an 11% career shooter. To translate, if he was having just an “average” Seguin season, it’d be an extra four goals.

Seguin has put up 11 goals and 32 points in 38 games. His shooting % is currently 7.5, which is well below his career average of 11.1.

The piece says an average Seguin season would translate to four extra goals (give or take). That would put him at 15 goals and 36 points (give or take).

This interests me because of Larkin's current stats line: 16 goals and 37 points in 39 games played. Larkin's current S% is 11 (Seguin's career average), which is well above his career average of 9.3.

You probably see where I'm going with this. At the halfway point of this season, a possibly-slightly-overachieving 22-year-old Dylan Larkin is giving the Wings the kind of production you might expect from Tyler Seguin.

Now, I'm not suggesting Larkin has established himself as a Seguin-caliber centerman. Even if Larkin finishes this season with, say, 80 points, I'd want to see him do it again next season. Then I might feel comfortable saying we have our elite(ish) 1C.

But my point is this: Larkin is doing well enough this season that it doesn't feel like a huge stretch to imagine him as an elite(ish) 1C at age 25. His contract is looking pretty good right now, no?

1 minute ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

How about be daring and change up Abbs and Bert?  

I don't really mind Abby on the first line. He hasn't been producing, but Larkin and Nyquist most definitely have, and I do think there's something to the idea that Abby complements those two in ways which don't show up on the score sheet. Bert's probably the better player, but I like him with Glendening and Rasmussen. Or, at least, I think that's about the best imitation of a legit third line that Blashill can offer up, given what he has to work with.

But, I mean, I'm not really invested in lines and pairings this season, so I'm fine with anything. I will be salty if Larkin's point streak ends tonight tho.

hello, my dears.... I am ready for a WIN tonight, how 'bout you?  I live 4 hours (drive time) from Dallas, but admit I did not spend the large $$ to be in Dallas for this game. 

It is nice to have them in the same state with me for once.  I smell a Wings victory -- stay out of the box, for heaven's sake, boyz, be sure to protect your goalie tonight, and score a bunch.  Love my Wings!!