• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

Your Favorite Defenseman 2 Years From Now

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I was talking about this a couple days ago with a buddy.  I hope Filip spends a summer at Barwis Methods like Cholowski did and gets strong.  No reason why Filip Hronek couldn't be about Nick Jensen's size.  At which point he'd be pretty hard to deal with.  His offense looks really good so far though.

Same thing for Rasmussen though.  When that kid grows into his body he's going to be a monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You're a lot more optimistic about Hronek than I am. I am going with Cholowski.

Yeah, I'm pretty high on both, but I'd give the edge to Cholowski. Both are very strong offensively but need to work on their play away from the puck in the defensive zone. The thing that separates them to me is the poise Cholowski has with the puck, under pressure. 

Either way, Cholowski / Hronek > Chychrun...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I'm pretty high on both, but I'd give the edge to Cholowski. Both are very strong offensively but need to work on their play away from the puck in the defensive zone. The thing that separates them to me is the poise Cholowski has with the puck, under pressure. 

Either way, Cholowski / Hronek > Chychrun...

Pretty much this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, puckbags said:

This is kind of off topic but I came across this today. Check the date.  It was ignorant at the time to suggest and now it's just sad and comical. 

 

 

DK.jpg

I have long maintained that Bleacher Report is a total clownshow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Nothing like getting benched for performance.  Kid is scoring at a 40 pts per 80 game pace.  Benched.  Great job, Blash.  

Why cant it be because he wasnt playing up to standards in other areas? Theres alot more to playing D than scoring points. Its likely he was benched because he wasnt performing on the D side of the puck. Why is "Blashill sucks" always  the first response?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Why cant it be because he wasnt playing up to standards in other areas? Theres alot more to playing D than scoring points. Its likely he was benched because he wasnt performing on the D side of the puck. Why is "Blashill sucks" always  the first response?

It certainly can be, but do you honestly think that's the case? I get it. We as fans don't see everything behind the scenes, and there's obviously much more that goes into these decisions. But based purely on the on-ice product, Hronek has been far superior to Ericsson in just about every way; advanced stats and eye-ball test. I know it's preposterous, but maybe just maybe, there is sometimes a veteran bias...

Hronek should be playing right now. I'm not saying Blashill is an idiot for scratching him, but it sure does seem like a bass ackwards move for a team that is supposed to be rebuilding...

I just hope Holland is able to alleviate the log jam on D sooner than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate, hate, hate the godforsaken logjam and I didn't like that Hronek was scratched. But I'm giving Blashill the benefit of the doubt. Was sort of a must-win game at home against a horribly struggling Ducks team. Blashill made it known that he wasn't happy with the way the guys played in practice following the win in Minnesota. Hronek has a reputation for being overly hard on himself. Given all these things, I think it's reasonable to assume it was more than just "He's a kid and ties go to the veterans." Though, even if it was just a tie going to the veteran, I wouldn't be too upset about it. Hronek's only 21. He's still raw. Having a night off every now and then will probably be good for him.

Wait a second...

*checks tonight's projected lineup*

:censored:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

That may be so but I'm playing a player millions of dollars, he's not going to sit.

That philosophy is exactly what's been wrong with this organization for the past several years... Play the player that will help you win games, not the player that you thought (when you signed the contract) was going to win you games... 

Also, it's the coach that makes these decisions, not (usually) the general manager...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

It certainly can be, but do you honestly think that's the case? I get it. We as fans don't see everything behind the scenes, and there's obviously much more that goes into these decisions. But based purely on the on-ice product, Hronek has been far superior to Ericsson in just about every way; advanced stats and eye-ball test. I know it's preposterous, but maybe just maybe, there is sometimes a veteran bias...

Hronek should be playing right now. I'm not saying Blashill is an idiot for scratching him, but it sure does seem like a bass ackwards move for a team that is supposed to be rebuilding...

I just hope Holland is able to alleviate the log jam on D sooner than later.

Hronek may in fact be better than E. That doesnt mean that he shouldnt be subject to coaching tho. E is what he is. He is fully developed. There really isnt any lesson to be learned by benching him. If he is playing up to his ability, he should be playing. Even if a developing player like Hronek is a better player, if he, for example, is cheating on D or missing assignments, etc. He can benefit by being benched. Even if its in favor of an inferior player. Thats part of developing a player.

I'm not saying that veteran bias doesn't exist. I"m not saying Blashill never makes roster mistakes. My point is, let's not cry "veteran bias" or "Blashill sucks" everytime a young player has minutes reduced or gets scratched. Because maybe, just maybe, there might be a perfectly logical reason for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Hronek may in fact be better than E. That doesnt mean that he shouldnt be subject to coaching tho. E is what he is. He is fully developed. There really isnt any lesson to be learned by benching him. If he is playing up to his ability, he should be playing. Even if a developing player like Hronek is a better player, if he, for example, is cheating on D or missing assignments, etc. He can benefit by being benched. Even if its in favor of an inferior player. Thats part of developing a player.

I'm not saying that veteran bias doesn't exist. I"m not saying Blashill never makes roster mistakes. My point is, let's not cry "veteran bias" or "Blashill sucks" everytime a young player has minutes reduced or gets scratched. Because maybe, just maybe, there might be a perfectly logical reason for it.

You coach a player by playing him in games, not sitting him. Only so much can be taught in practice and watching games. Hronek needs to play, and if he's not playing in Detroit, he should be sent down to Grand Rapids.

I don't expect Ericsson to learn anything from being scratched. I just believe that the vets should be held accountable, just as much or more so than the kids. They should be held to a higher standard, and they're clearly not. I'm sure there's a veteran bias with most coaches in most organizations, but this team takes it too far in my opinion. Game after game we see veterans make lazy, careless plays with no repercussions. The exact same play from one of the younger players, and they get benched.

I'm fine with a player being benched for a period, or even a game, but three straight games is ridiculous. And it's not even like you can say he was playing poorly. In his last 5 games, he had 5 points (1 goal, 4 assists), was a +4, had 11 shots on goal, 5 hits, 5 blocked shots, and was averaging over 19 minutes a night *as a rookie defenseman*... That's impressive even without that last caveat. If Hronek is "cheating on D",  it's clearly been working for him and the team. Blashill always preaches that a players' "positives must outweigh the negatives". Regardless what Hronek's negatives were, his positives were definitely outweighing them. It should also be said, that there were several plays in which Hronek and Ericsson were scored on (or almost scored on) where Ericsson coughed up the puck, or put Hronek in a bad spot.

Ericsson should be sitting over Hronek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again. I dont know why Hronek is being benched. Maybe its for some other reason than poor play. Dunno.

But a part of development is sitting players when they aren't following coaching, regardless of how well they're playing. You dont listen, you sit. Simple as that. There is absolutely a legitimate reason for doing it. May not be the case with Hronek, not saying it is. 

And you dont coach vets the same way you coach kids. Kids are learning, developing, you mess up, you sit. Thats how you learn. Vets are going to make mistakes too, but their development is over. You don't handle it the same way, even if its the same error. Vets learn nothing by sitting them. You can call it veteran bias if you want, but those guys have paid their dues and should get a longer leash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Again. I dont know why Hronek is being benched. Maybe its for some other reason than poor play. Dunno.

But a part of development is sitting players when they aren't following coaching, regardless of how well they're playing. You dont listen, you sit. Simple as that. There is absolutely a legitimate reason for doing it. May not be the case with Hronek, not saying it is. 

And you dont coach vets the same way you coach kids. Kids are learning, developing, you mess up, you sit. Thats how you learn. Vets are going to make mistakes too, but their development is over. You don't handle it the same way, even if its the same error. Vets learn nothing by sitting them. You can call it veteran bias if you want, but those guys have paid their dues and should get a longer leash. 

Well I guess this is where we disagree. I don't believe veterans should feel that secure, that no matter how well or how poorly they play, they'll be right back out there every shift, every game. What kind of message do you think that's sending the young players? If a veteran is playing poorly, they should sit. Simple as that. If a rookie is playing as well as Hronek was, he should not sit.

You're right that there could be another reason, something that may have happened outside the games that us fans seen. I acknowledged as much in my first response to this, but I highly doubt that's the case here. I think Blashill needed to scratch a player when DeKeyser returned from injury, and the easy choice was the kid. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is I guess. It will be interesting to see what happens when Daley comes back, assuming everyone else is still healthy, and no trades have been made...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Well I guess this is where we disagree. I don't believe veterans should feel that secure, that no matter how well or how poorly they play, they'll be right back out there every shift, every game. What kind of message do you think that's sending the young players? If a veteran is playing poorly, they should sit. Simple as that. If a rookie is playing as well as Hronek was, he should not sit.

You're right that there could be another reason, something that may have happened outside the games that us fans seen. I acknowledged as much in my first response to this, but I highly doubt that's the case here. I think Blashill needed to scratch a player when DeKeyser returned from injury, and the easy choice was the kid. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is I guess. It will be interesting to see what happens when Daley comes back, assuming everyone else is still healthy, and no trades have been made...

Spot on.  Hronek has played his way on the team.  But Hollands crap contracts are holding him back.  Trades should be happening NOW, but our idiot GM only works 3 days a year.  So Hronek will have to wait till deadline day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm no. If there was a roster logjam Hronek would be in GR, not scratched, which is where he'll probably be when Daley comes back. I am ok with him getting 20 minutes a night in the AHL. He's still developing. Bring him up full time next year. Keep him in GR for the playoffs, assuming the Griffins get in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this