• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2019 Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

Custance just wrote an article on The Athletic: "20 players who could move before the deadline"

1. Artemi Panarin, Blue Jackets

2. Matt Duchene, Senators

3. Mark Stone, Senators

4. Kevin Hayes, Rangers

5. Dougie Hamilton, Hurricanes

6. Wayne Simmonds, Flyers

7. Chris Kreider, Rangers

8. Brayden Schenn, Blues

9. Jake Muzzin, Kings

10. Gustav Nyquist, Red Wings: Nyquist has a no-trade and hasn’t been approached yet about waiving it, but it’s still early on that front. Outside of Dylan Larkin, he’s been the Red Wings’ best forward this season, the final year of his contract that comes with a $4.75 million cap hit. He’s a legit top-six forward, who is more playmaker than goal scorer so needs the right players around him to capitalize on his skill set. The problem for Detroit is that Nyquist doesn’t necessarily stand out compared to the other available wingers. “There are a number of pieces (available) that are the equivalent to Nyquist,” said one GM. The Oilers might be a good fit for Nyquist.

11. Jesse Puljujarvi, Oilers

12. Timothy Liljegren, Maple Leafs

13. Micheal Ferland, Hurricanes

14. Mats Zuccarello, Rangers

15. Nino Niederreiter, Wild

16. Jimmy Howard, Red Wings: At first glance, Howard is your traditional rental. Veteran player on an expiring contract from a rebuilding team that will soon be ready to sell. But starting goalies aren’t easy trades to pull off near the deadline. The buyers are buyers because they’re in a playoff spot and likely have been getting good goaltending to get there. Those teams won’t pay a premium for insurance in goal. The Red Wings like Howard. They’d like to bring him back after this season. There isn’t a lot of internal interest in trading him for a third-round pick or whatever a team looking for insurance might pay. So, really, the scenario where a Howard trade is most likely comes only if a contending team loses their starting goalie to injury and is willing to pay a premium (like, say, a first-round pick) to acquire Howard.

17. Andre Burakovsky, Capitals

18. Trevor Daley, Red Wings: Daley is out with a broken foot but should be back in early February, plenty of time to be a target before the trade deadline. He has one year left on his contract that comes at a reasonable $3.16 million cap hit per season, a number that could be sweetened even more with some salary retention. When healthy this season, Daley performed under his standard but that can be attributed, in part, to cycling through partners without a ton of NHL experience. He’s still a great skater with multiple Stanley Cups who would fit seamlessly into any dressing room. A second-round pick and decent prospect probably gets it done.

19. Alec Martinez, Kings

20. Nick Jensen, Red Wings: He might actually be the most appealing of the Red Wings’ rentals. He probably isn’t going to cost a ton but is the kind of player who can play a key part without giving up the farm. “I like him,” said one contending GM. There’s a lot to like. He’s still just 28, he’s a right-handed shot and is a great skater. He’s a rock-solid addition to any team’s bottom pair and the Red Wings haven’t ruled out a contract extension, but The Athletic’s Max Bultman reported last week that there have not been any significant talks yet.

Nyquist, Howard, Daley and Jensen are listed as possible trade bait for the Wings. We need to trade Nyquist, even if both sides want to sign an extension. Sign a new contract in the offseason, after we acquire draft pick(s) and / or prospect(s). Howard should be shopped, but depending on the market at the time, he probably won't be dealt before the deadline. Regardless if he's traded or not, I think Howard should be brought back next season. Daley is the one player on this list that I want traded and would not want back next season. Trade him for a mid round pick, retain salary, just get rid of him. Jensen probably should be shopped as well, but he's another player I'd like to see back in Detroit next season. He's a great depth defenseman that can be re-signed relatively cheap.

I'm not sure why Edmonton or Toronto would trade Puljujarvi or Liljegren, but I'd inquire on both. Leafs are probably only shopping Liljegren if they can get an established, top pair, right-handed defenseman in his prime though. Something we obviously don't have. Oilers on the other hand, are probably shopping Puljujarvi because that's what they do with their high end wingers (give up on them way too early for way too little). He could probably be had for Ericsson and a 3rd round pick... :lol:

Ok, here we go! I love when these threads are made!

I agree on Nyquist, re-sign in Detroit or not, we need to trade him for that 1st and prospect. How about to Toronto for their 1st and Liljegren?

Howard to PIT for C.Addison.

Daley to a Contender for a 2nd and 3rd. (Two picks because he has term left)

Jensen I want to re-sign, but again, if we could turn him for a pick or prospect, we should. But I make him a priority July 1. Jensen to Tampa for Volkov.

I would also shop Ericsson and listen if anyone calls on Kronwall. I know Kronner 99.999999% won't get moved, but if an offer comes in from a Contender approach Kronwall and give him the choice, out of respect for his career with us. Stay and retire from here or get one more shot At a Cup choice is totally his. I'm sure the return would only be a pick. Ericsson could also be a solid depth D for a contending team. Could get another 3rd in return.

I'd also listen on offers for Helm, Vanek and disney.com. But doubt they get moved. 

@LeftWinger, I think you're expecting too much on pretty much all those trades... I don't think we'll get a 1st AND a prospect for Nyquist, certainly not one of Liljegren's caliber. Besides, the Leafs need defense, not more offense. We might be able to get a 2nd or 3rd for Howard, but personally, I'd rather the pick than Calen Addison. I'm not that high on him. I don't think we can expect multiple picks for Daley either. If he gets moved, it'll likely be for a mid (3rd OR 4th) round pick. There's also no harm in retaining salary, even if there is term (one year) left on the deal. We're in agreement on Jensen, but again, I don't think you'll get anything close to a prospect like Volkov. Probably nothing more than a mid to late round pick, and if that's the case, I'd just assume hold on to him and sign him to an extension.

I agree that we should be shopping anyone above the age of 25, with the exception of Green. Like you said, Kronwall isn't going anywhere though. He'll retire a Red Wing after this season. Ericsson could be a decent addition for a contending team looking for defensive depth, but we'd definitely need to retain salary, which I'd be fine with. Nielsen isn't going anywhere, although I'd be okay moving him. Vanek isn't going anywhere, unfortunately. DeKeyser isn't going anywhere. Abdelkader isn't going anywhere. I could see some teams having interest in Helm and Glendening, but the most you could expect for either of those guys, again, would be a mid round pick.

Look no further than Custance's comments on Nyquist there fellas. 

The problem for Detroit is that Nyquist doesn’t necessarily stand out compared to the other available wingers. “There are a number of pieces (available) that are the equivalent to Nyquist,” said one GM. The Oilers might be a good fit for Nyquist.

I think a mid-to-late 2nd rounder is all you're getting for the goose-man. I look forward to tantrums and epic tirades on Feb 25th, 3pm ET. 

24 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Look no further than Custance's comments on Nyquist there fellas. 

I think a mid-to-late 2nd rounder is all you're getting for the goose-man. I look forward to tantrums and epic tirades on Feb 25th, 3pm ET. 

Yeah, I think the best we can hope for is a late 1st rounder for Nyquist. I wouldn't be surprised if we do get a 1st, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's only a 2nd. Regardless, take what you can get. We've seen countless 2nd rounders turn into impact players. We need as many kicks at the can as we can get in the first 2-3 rounds of this draft.

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I think the best we can hope for is a late 1st rounder for Nyquist. I wouldn't be surprised if we do get a 1st, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's only a 2nd. Regardless, take what you can get. We've seen countless 2nd rounders turn into impact players. We need as many kicks at the can as we can get in the first 2-3 rounds of the next 2-3 drafts.

tweaked your post a bit

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

I know I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't trade Nyquist. He's still relatively young, and has been arguably the 2nd best F on the team. I realize it's a rebuild, but I would be looking to trade more expendable assets. I know there's the idea of re-signing him, but I think he's gone for good if he gets traded and there's no one to replace his offense.

10 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't trade Nyquist. He's still relatively young, and has been arguably the 2nd best F on the team. I realize it's a rebuild, but I would be looking to trade more expendable assets. I know there's the idea of re-signing him, but I think he's gone for good if he gets traded and there's no one to replace his offense.

I think if you can get a 1st from a desperate team later in the afternoon on the 25th you have to do it. I think if you're looking at a later than late 2nd? You may have made a good point if this is the scenario. 

17 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Why don't you think he would re-sign here if he gets traded though? I think if both sides want him re-signed, they'll do so in the offseason, whether he's traded or not. I don't see the harm in him going to play with another team for a few months, have a shot at a Cup, and then re-sign in Detroit this summer.

I know it's not how it typically works, but it has happened in the past, and I'm sure it'll happen again. I specifically remember Antoine Vermette getting traded from Arizona to Chicago a couple years ago, for a 1st round pick and a mediocre prospect. He then re-signed with Arizona again a few months later. I'm sure there are other examples of this as well.

If we could do something similar with Nyquist at this year's trade deadline, it's a win-win.

Also, we may not have anyone that can immediately replace his production, but we definitely will have a winger coming in the next season or so that will be capable of replacing his 50-60 points. Whether that's Zadina or whoever we get in the top 5 of this year's draft...

15 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I think if you can get a 1st from a desperate team later in the afternoon on the 25th you have to do it. I think if you're looking at a later than late 2nd? You may have made a good point if this is the scenario. 

This. A first round pick holds much more value to a rebuilding team than a 30 year old top six winger.

34 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Also, we may not have anyone that can immediately replace his production, but we definitely will have a winger coming in the next season or so that will be capable of replacing his 50-60 points.

Or someone already in the mix could up their game, just like Nyquist has done this season. If you'd told me at this time last year that Nyquist would be performing the way he has this season, I would've been skeptical. Guy put up 40 points last season. 40 points!

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Everyone was worried as well that Zetterberg's offense would not be replaced. Players step up.

Also just remember what Holland swindled for Tatar, a team will pay up for Nyquist. If Toronto is already looking to shop Liljegren, why not a 1st and him in a small bidding war? But I do agree somewhat, if a prospect is coming back, the pick would be lower or maybe not there at all. But if it's just a pick, a 1st is no way out of the question for what Nyquist would bring to a team that needs a player to get them over.  They are in a win now mode, their team will be different next season with the $22M dollar players that will need to be re-signed. Maybe a rental of Nyquist for a Cup run intrigues them more than we think. He is a Babcock guy. IF any team comes calling to rent Kronwall, I see it being Toronto. Again, it will be all totally up to Kronner, but it's not 100% out of the question he wouldn't go for one more Cup with his former coach.  Meh! Stranger things have happened on TDL day!

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Or someone already in the mix could up their game, just like Nyquist has done this season. If you'd told me at this time last year that Nyquist would be performing the way he has this season, I would've been skeptical. Guy put up 40 points last season. 40 points!

Yup, currently on pace for 67 points this season. You'll always lose production in some areas and pick it up in others. The key is obviously making sure your additions outweigh your subtractions...

We'll also be losing Vanek's 30-40 points and Kronwall's 20-30 points, but we should more than make up for that with the additions of Zadina and Hronek full time.

7 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Also just remember what Holland swindled for Tatar, a team will pay up for Nyquist.

Can't really compare Nyquist and Tatar in this context tho. Nyquist is on an expiring contract. Tatar had term on his deal and George McPhee had tons of picks at his disposal.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Why don't you think he would re-sign here if he gets traded though? I think if both sides want him re-signed, they'll do so in the offseason, whether he's traded or not. I don't see the harm in him going to play with another team for a few months, have a shot at a Cup, and then re-sign in Detroit this summer.

I know it's not how it typically works, but it has happened in the past, and I'm sure it'll happen again. I specifically remember Antoine Vermette getting traded from Arizona to Chicago a couple years ago, for a 1st round pick and a mediocre prospect. He then re-signed with Arizona again a few months later. I'm sure there are other examples of this as well.

If we could do something similar with Nyquist at this year's trade deadline, it's a win-win.

Also, we may not have anyone that can immediately replace his production, but we definitely will have a winger coming in the next season or so that will be capable of replacing his 50-60 points. Whether that's Zadina or whoever we get in the top 5 of this year's draft...

This. A first round pick holds much more value to a rebuilding team than a 30 year old top six winger.

I just think that if he goes to free agency, there will be better teams making similar offers that the Wings do. He could still come back, yes, but if there's better opportunities out there, why return? 

And if he doesn't return, consider Holland's track record on replacing players. Welcome back Vanek!

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I just think that if he goes to free agency, there will be better teams making similar offers that the Wings do. He could still come back, yes, but if there's better opportunities out there, why return? 

And if he doesn't return, consider Holland's track record on replacing players. Welcome back Vanek!

There could be better teams making similar offers even if we don't trade him though. And better in terms of the actual hockey team, doesn't necessarily mean a better place to play hockey / live for Nyquist. Gus has been living in Michigan for over 8 years now. I assume he has a home, girlfriend / wife. It's not always easy to uproot everything, which is why most players (including Nyquist) push so hard for NTC's. The fact that Nyquist has one, tells me he's quite happy living in Detroit as a Red Wing.

Regardless what Nyquist or the team wants beyond this season, like I said above...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

A first round pick holds much more value to a rebuilding team than a 30 year old top six winger.

If a team is offering us a 1st round pick for Nyquist, I wouldn't think twice. If he wants to come back next season, great. If not, oh well, we'll have to find someone to replace that production. Hopefully a young up and comer, not an old veteran UFA...

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Ton of good players on that list.  Should drive returns down for everyone. 

I'm inclined to agree. On the other hand, it could have the opposite effect, because of teams feeling they need to keep up with the Joneses.

Looking again at that Custance list:

4. Kevin Hayes, Rangers

9. Jake Muzzin, Kings

10. Gustav Nyquist, Red Wings

18. Trevor Daley, Red Wings

Are the only players I think will be moved. 

54 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Looking again at that Custance list:

4. Kevin Hayes, Rangers

9. Jake Muzzin, Kings

10. Gustav Nyquist, Red Wings

18. Trevor Daley, Red Wings

Are the only players I think will be moved. 

I'd be completely okay with this...

Trade Nyquist because his value will be at an all-time high. Trade Daley because he sucks... Maybe other teams haven't figured this out yet... veteran leadership... 2 Stanley Cups...

20 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

The 2 teams that will inquire about Nyquist are Winnepeg and Nashville.  They are both top heavy with right handed players and both could use scoring depth.  You are spot on where that draft pick will fall.  Somewhere in the 26-31 range.

12 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Nyquist to Nashville for their 2019 first.

Ericsson to Toronto for their 2019 2nd.

Howard + Daley to Pittsburgh for their 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd.

I agree that Nyquist seems like he'd be a good fit with the Preds. I've been saying this for the past two years...

Nyquist to Nashville for Dante Fabbro. Make it happen Kenny!

Babcock always liked Big E, but I highly doubt Dubas would have any interest in acquiring Ericsson.

Pittsburgh wouldn't have the cap space for one of Daley or Howard, let alone both. 

20 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that Nyquist seems like he'd be a good fit with the Preds. I've been saying this for the past two years...

Nyquist to Nashville for Dante Fabbro. Make it happen Kenny!

Babcock always liked Big E, but I highly doubt Dubas would have any interest in acquiring Ericsson.

Pittsburgh wouldn't have the cap space for one of Daley or Howard, let alone both. 

Penguins have 5+M in deadline cap space. But I don't see them wanting or needing either Howard or Daley.