• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2019 Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, _SP_ said:

I feel all pending-UFAs should be moved, unless the team feels it would hinder the development of the players that would need to be called up to fill the roles, or those currently on the team. Draft picks should be the goal, or players under 23 with team control.

Nyquist - 1st or 2nd.

Howard- 2nd or 3rd.

Kronwall-4th or 5th.

Jensen - 5th or 6th.

Vanek-6th or 7th

Then I'm moving veterans that don't have a long-term role.

Green - 2nd or 3rd.

Daley - 3rd or 4th.

Dekeyser - 4th or 5th.

Ericsson 4th or 5th.

Now, obviously the team has to field a roster. It's not possible to get rid of 6 defensemen.  But they should be shopping all the players above. Get rid of 2-3 wingers and 2-3 defensemen. Secure 5-6 more picks.

I pretty much agree with the value you're putting on a return for each of these players. I'm just  not really too concerned about loading up on late round draft picks. The chance of a mid to late round pick ever having any impact on an organization is slim. So in most cases, I'd just assume keep the player. However, we do have a major log jam on defense right now, so I would trade a defenseman or two for whatever, just to keep / get Cholowski / Hronek in the lineup every night.

Nyquist - 1st or 2nd - Nyquist has been one of our most consistent forwards (aside from Larkin) this season. For that reason, he's our biggest trade chip. Hopefully we're able to squeeze a 1st (or a high-end prospect) out of some team.

Howard- 2nd or 3rd - Howard is putting up spectacular numbers (considering the defense in front of him) at the tender age of 34. Ideally a contending team will lose their starter in the next month, and we'll be able to get a 2nd round pick (plus?) from a desperate GM. Regardless, I'd re-sign Howard in the offseason.

Kronwall-4th or 5th - Kronwall has been a warrior for this team for the past 15 years. I'd prefer to see him ride off into the sunset and retire a Red Wing, than get a 4th or 5th round pick for him.

Jensen - 5th or 6th - Jensen is a very good depth defenseman that will likely re-sign for cheap. I'd much rather keep him than ship him off for a 5th or 6th round pick.

Vanek-6th or 7th - Vanek has been very bad for the better part of this season, but apparently he's great in the locker room... I'd be more than okay with trading him, but for a 6th or 7th round pick? I could care less either way.

Green - 2nd or 3rd - Green is far and away our best defenseman. I'd keep him around for another season to mentor Cholowski and Hronek. Revisit this trade a year from now.

Daley - 3rd or 4th - Daley has been pretty bad when healthy this season. I'd trade him for future considerations at this point just to alleviate the log jam on D.

Dekeyser - 4th or 5th - DeKeyser gets a bad rap around here, but he's still a solid top 4 defenseman. For a team that lacks quality defensemen (and veterans in the near future), I wouldn't trade him right now.

Ericsson 4th or 5th - Ericsson, pretty much the same as DeKeyser. However, I'd trade E, just because of age, and again to alleviate the log jam on D.

In saying all that, none of these players should be off the table. Of course I'd listen to offers on each and every one of them, but for most, I'd just assume keep around, unless it's for a bit of an overpayment. I'd consider trading Kronwall (if he wants a chance at another Cup) for a 2nd round pick. Anything less, I'd keep him. I might trade Jensen for a 3rd, but anything less isn't worth it to me. I could probably be persuaded to trade Green now, but it would take a lot more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'm talking a 1st, plus. Likely not going to happen, so I keep him. I'd trade DeKeyser for a 2nd, maybe a 3rd. Anything less isn't really worth it in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Am I alone in thinking Jensen might be able to get us a 3rd or possibly even a 2nd?

No. I think he could for sure and I think he's well worth that. I want to keep Jensen around. I think he's a great 3rd pairing defenseman. I'd consider shipping him off for a 3rd, and definitely would for a 2nd... as much as I'd hate to lose him...

I guess it also depends on where his head is at going into free agency. If he wants to stay in Detroit, my price tag is firm at a 2nd (maybe a 3rd). If he's testing the market, and likely gone this summer, I guess I'd let him go for less...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

No. I think he could for sure and I think he's well worth that. I want to keep Jensen around. I think he's a great 3rd pairing defenseman. I'd consider shipping him off for a 3rd, and definitely would for a 2nd... as much as I'd hate to lose him...

I guess it also depends on where his head is at going into free agency. If he wants to stay in Detroit, my price tag is firm at a 2nd (maybe a 3rd). If he's testing the market, and likely gone this summer, I guess I'd let him go for less...

I think we’d be lucky to land a 4th for Jensen , he’s a 6-7 dman and if a team acquires him it’ll be for depth for a playoff run so can’t imagine a team sending a 2nd or a 3rd for a guy who will barely play 

I do agree with an earlier post on kronwall , I do think due to his playoff experience and being a cup winner even though he’s older his name alone can fetch us a 2nd .... can’t imagine Babcock wouldn’t pull at Dubas to send us a 2nd for kronwall if he were made available but I sadly don’t think he’s willing to leave Detroit at this stage of his career 

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I pretty much agree with the value you're putting on a return for each of these players. I'm just  not really too concerned about loading up on late round draft picks. The chance of a mid to late round pick ever having any impact on an organization is slim. So in most cases, I'd just assume keep the player. However, we do have a major log jam on defense right now, so I would trade a defenseman or two for whatever, just to keep / get Cholowski / Hronek in the lineup every night.

Nyquist - 1st or 2nd - Nyquist has been one of our most consistent forwards (aside from Larkin) this season. For that reason, he's our biggest trade chip. Hopefully we're able to squeeze a 1st (or a high-end prospect) out of some team.

Howard- 2nd or 3rd - Howard is putting up spectacular numbers (considering the defense in front of him) at the tender age of 34. Ideally a contending team will lose their starter in the next month, and we'll be able to get a 2nd round pick (plus?) from a desperate GM. Regardless, I'd re-sign Howard in the offseason.

Kronwall-4th or 5th - Kronwall has been a warrior for this team for the past 15 years. I'd prefer to see him ride off into the sunset and retire a Red Wing, than get a 4th or 5th round pick for him.

Jensen - 5th or 6th - Jensen is a very good depth defenseman that will likely re-sign for cheap. I'd much rather keep him than ship him off for a 5th or 6th round pick.

Vanek-6th or 7th - Vanek has been very bad for the better part of this season, but apparently he's great in the locker room... I'd be more than okay with trading him, but for a 6th or 7th round pick? I could care less either way.

Green - 2nd or 3rd - Green is far and away our best defenseman. I'd keep him around for another season to mentor Cholowski and Hronek. Revisit this trade a year from now.

Daley - 3rd or 4th - Daley has been pretty bad when healthy this season. I'd trade him for future considerations at this point just to alleviate the log jam on D.

Dekeyser - 4th or 5th - DeKeyser gets a bad rap around here, but he's still a solid top 4 defenseman. For a team that lacks quality defensemen (and veterans in the near future), I wouldn't trade him right now.

Ericsson 4th or 5th - Ericsson, pretty much the same as DeKeyser. However, I'd trade E, just because of age, and again to alleviate the log jam on D.

In saying all that, none of these players should be off the table. Of course I'd listen to offers on each and every one of them, but for most, I'd just assume keep around, unless it's for a bit of an overpayment. I'd consider trading Kronwall (if he wants a chance at another Cup) for a 2nd round pick. Anything less, I'd keep him. I might trade Jensen for a 3rd, but anything less isn't worth it to me. I could probably be persuaded to trade Green now, but it would take a lot more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'm talking a 1st, plus. Likely not going to happen, so I keep him. I'd trade DeKeyser for a 2nd, maybe a 3rd. Anything less isn't really worth it in my opinion.

These are all undervalued.  Come deadline time, getting depth players with NHL experience is important to teams making a run.  And the goalie position is critical.

Nyquist, Green, and Howard should fetch 1st rounders.

The other 5 defensemen should fetch a 3rd rounder at minimum.

Vanek is trash.  He won't get anything this time around.  

8 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I think we’d be lucky to land a 4th for Jensen , he’s a 6-7 dman and if a team acquires him it’ll be for depth for a playoff run so can’t imagine a team sending a 2nd or a 3rd for a guy who will barely play

Shoots right, good skater, good puck-mover, right side of 30, can play in all situations, eats a lot of minutes on a bad Wings blue line and has played surprisingly well on said blue line. You might be surprised what that kind of defenseman can fetch at the deadline. Though, yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up. :unhappy:

45 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I do agree with an earlier post on kronwall , I do think due to his playoff experience and being a cup winner even though he’s older his name alone can fetch us a 2nd .... can’t imagine Babcock wouldn’t pull at Dubas to send us a 2nd for kronwall if he were made available but I sadly don’t think he’s willing to leave Detroit at this stage of his career 

I think Jensen could fetch more than a 4th, but like I said, if that's the most we can get for him, I'd hold onto him... unless he tells management that he's testing free agency.

47 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

These are all undervalued.  Come deadline time, getting depth players with NHL experience is important to teams making a run.  And the goalie position is critical.

Nyquist, Green, and Howard should fetch 1st rounders.

The other 5 defensemen should fetch a 3rd rounder at minimum.

Vanek is trash.  He won't get anything this time around.  

Prepare to be disappointed...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Right. So there's an intangible factor of trust and camaraderie, complimenting personalities and gameplay. I'm not in the locker room or watching practice. Are Kronwall, Green, and Vanek player-coaches? Are they showing up to practice early, setting good examples with conditioning and workouts, watching tape and giving pointers? 

These are things I can't answer. But they have to be considered by GMs. Those influences are huge. And they, or the the lack thereof, can have long term ramifications for our rebuild. So while it's easy for us to put a value on someone's play, it is difficult to measure their total team impact.

I do think people overvalue players. Fans, I mean. I do think there is the occasional overpay, but to me it is more common to see players moved for what fans consider UNDER value. But in reality, there is so much that goes into building a team, it is hard to potentially give up a high draft pick with the possbility that the dynamic of the team is actually harmed and the outcome is not what they wanted. Particularly with 1-year rentals.

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

Shoots right, good skater, good puck-mover, right side of 30, can play in all situations, eats a lot of minutes on a bad Wings blue line and has played surprisingly well on said blue line. You might be surprised what that kind of defenseman can fetch at the deadline. Though, yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up. :unhappy:

Puts up a dozen pts a season ,ufa to be isn’t a playoff veteran with tons of experience , would be a 6-7 dman and mostly likely an assurance Incase of injuries I’d be highly surprised if we landed even a 3rd but I hope I’m wrong 

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I think Jensen could fetch more than a 4th, but like I said, if that's the most we can get for him, I'd hold onto him... unless he tells management that he's testing free agency.

Prepare to be disappointed...

I’d trade him regardless unless we can move Ericsson and Daley which won’t happen sadly ... hronek and cholowski will get increased time next year and we have guys like hicketts who deserve a good look and even Sulak I’d bring him up prior to the season ending 

I dont trade Goose or Howie for anything less than a first rounder. This team has 0 goalie prospects anywhere close ro ready if it all. UFA route for a goalie? Prepare to overpay for a goalie that another team let go for a reason. The likelihood that a 2nd rounder or later turn out to be as good as Goose is unlikely. Yes his numbers fluctuate, but even then its still better than what most 2nd rounders or later turn out to be.

I dont trade Jensen at all. A RH capable D for a later pick? Why? Just keep him.

9 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I dont trade Goose or Howie for anything less than a first rounder. This team has 0 goalie prospects anywhere close ro ready if it all. UFA route for a goalie? Prepare to overpay for a goalie that another team let go for a reason. The likelihood that a 2nd rounder or later turn out to be as good as Goose is unlikely. Yes his numbers fluctuate, but even then its still better than what most 2nd rounders or later turn out to be.

I dont trade Jensen at all. A RH capable D for a later pick? Why? Just keep him.

Then trade Nyquist for a teams 4th top prospect let’s say? And we can land a pretty good guy with a second rounder, guys always drop ... I’m up for trading Gus cause we have a ton of kids who can play top 6 roles and some more coming nex year or year after in veleno and zadina ... hopefully berggren and svechnikov pan out ... possibly another forward with our first rounder this year 

got AA mantha Larkin And bertuzzi up already and not wanting to take a risk and giving Gus big money in a contract year and then we all ***** about it 3-2 yrs ... we need to concentrate on improving our future d core 

as for Howard if he loves it here so much he can do like plekanec and leave and return and give us a valuable pick ... and if he ends up leaving and our goaltending is in shambles for a season I wouldn’t be so broken hearted since we can possibly land lafraniere at the 2020 draft and hopefully turn this team around for the 2020-2021 season 

Would be nice to get Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen from Buffalo. Currently playing in the OHL for the Wolves, huge reason why they're sitting second in their division. If he hadn't left to play in the WJC (where he helped Finland win gold), they'd still be in first place. He sees and stops quite a bit of rubber. He's obv a little ways away from pro, but he'd be a nice addition to the prospect pool. He's a game changing goalie, doesn't seem to get rattled, big kid at 6,5" 215, quick laterally, covers a lot of the net low.

But, Buffalo took him in the second round and have him signed, so i dunno if they'd be willing to part with him, or if the Wings have the pieces to spare for another goaltending prospect. Buffalo doesn't seem to be looking for goaltending help heading into the playoffs either.

16 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Would be nice to get Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen from Buffalo. Currently playing in the OHL for the Wolves, huge reason why they're sitting second in their division. If he hadn't left to play in the WJC (where he helped Finland win gold), they'd still be in first place. He sees and stops quite a bit of rubber. He's obv a little ways away from pro, but he'd be a nice addition to the prospect pool. He's a game changing goalie, doesn't seem to get rattled, big kid at 6,5" 215, quick laterally, covers a lot of the net low.

But, Buffalo took him in the second round and have him signed, so i dunno if they'd be willing to part with him, or if the Wings have the pieces to spare for another goaltending prospect. Buffalo doesn't seem to be looking for goaltending help heading into the playoffs either.

He looks like a good one for sure, but we have a few goaltenders ourselves in Larsson, Petruzzelli and Eliasson in that same age range, that could develop as well or better than this kid. Goalies are such a crap shoot, I wouldn't give up the assets it would take to get Luukkonen. If we're trading for a goaltender it needs to be for one that can step in as early as next season, not another long-term project. If we're giving up major assets for a 19 year old, it should be for a defenseman or right-handed forward, not a goalie. Just my opinion...

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

He looks like a good one for sure, but we have a few goaltenders ourselves in Larsson, Petruzzelli and Eliasson in that same age range, that could develop as well or better than this kid. Goalies are such a crap shoot, I wouldn't give up the assets it would take to get Luukkonen. If we're trading for a goaltender it needs to be for one that can step in as early as next season, not another long-term project. If we're giving up major assets for a 19 year old, it should be for a defenseman or right-handed forward, not a goalie. Just my opinion...

All true. They are a crap shoot. Would be nice to get him, but not really a reason other than to pad the prospect pool, which is always good to do at that position. But they do have some good prospects already. The Wings did draft McCollum 30th overall out of Guelph, and he barely saw NHL ice. Lots of other failed higher round goalies too, and stars from later rounds. 

42 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

100% agree it’s all a crapshoot when it comes to goalies so wouldn’t bother with a move unless the goalie is ready for prime time , sucks I wanted dostal last draft and he’s doing really good but I’m hoping one of the 2 Swedes can take over and be our future #1 ... even the Swiss goalie is doing really good but in a lesser league but still only 21 , petruzzelli would be on 4th of my personal list but I hope he becomes a star 

if we can land another 2nd or 3rd maybe we can take a swing at another top goalie prospect and hope for the best and hopefully we really concentrate on some d’s next draft with top pairing off side and go for homerun type picks and continue off the really good 2018 draft we had 

20 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

100% agree it’s all a crapshoot when it comes to goalies so wouldn’t bother with a move unless the goalie is ready for prime time , sucks I wanted dostal last draft and he’s doing really good but I’m hoping one of the 2 Swedes can take over and be our future #1 ... even the Swiss goalie is doing really good but in a lesser league but still only 21 , petruzzelli would be on 4th of my personal list but I hope he becomes a star 

if we can land another 2nd or 3rd maybe we can take a swing at another top goalie prospect and hope for the best and hopefully we really concentrate on some d’s next draft with top pairing off side and go for homerun type picks and continue off the really good 2018 draft we had 

Yup, really hope we go for some homerun swings, especially in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I was really hoping we would have taken a "gamble" on Bode Wilde in last year's draft, despite his supposed "off-ice issues"... Oh well...

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yup, really hope we go for some homerun swings, especially in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I was really hoping we would have taken a "gamble" on Bode Wilde in last year's draft, despite his supposed "off-ice issues"... Oh well...

100% agree , I was hoping for bode wilde as well ... oh well is right lol what can we do hey ? I wanted lauko real bad and bruins signed him right away ... few years ago I wanted Lucas carlsson for a dman and hawks got him and he’s got 19 pts in the ahl as a rookie , branstromm over Rasmussen and he’s doing amazing and going to ahl all star as a rookie I believe 

just hope we go for it and not go for the “safe, he’s a sure nhl player type picks “ ... that’s what the 2017 draft looks like and outside petruzzelli those 3rds look like a waste , really hoping the 2018 draft is a turning point in the rebuild , even our last pick I was skeptical being 5’8 but he seems to be doing amazing and seeing how great Atkinson is doing there’s some reason to be optimistic 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I dont want him because I dont want to ever have to say the name Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen.

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I dont want him because I dont want to ever have to say the name Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen.

Fair reason. "Tonight's starting goaltenders..in goal for your Sudbury Wolves..no. 1, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen" You can tell the announcer is getting real tired of it everytime you hear it, and it's only been half a season. Just wants to say "The Finnish kid" or something...

Horrifying thought, prior to Filip Zadina falling into our laps it was thought (and has since been confirmed) that Evan Bouchard was going to be Detroit's pick.  TSN recently published a list of the top 50 NHL prospects and Bouchard didn't make the list.  Craig Button mentioned his skating as being a real impediment to his NHL success.  So even our best draft in recent memory was very likely a potential bust.  Yikes. 

19 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Horrifying thought, prior to Filip Zadina falling into our laps it was thought (and has since been confirmed) that Evan Bouchard was going to be Detroit's pick.  TSN recently published a list of the top 50 NHL prospects and Bouchard didn't make the list.  Craig Button mentioned his skating as being a real impediment to his NHL success.  So even our best draft in recent memory was very likely a potential bust.  Yikes. 

I put a ton of stock into what Button says about prospects, but I think it's waaay too early to consider Bouchard a "potential bust". Especially based on one man's opinion. The same opinion that considered Bouchard the best defenseman (outside of Dahlin) in the draft, just a few short months ago...

I mean, sure, the possibility is there that Bouchard flops, but the same goes for Zadina, or Hughes, or Boqvist, etc. at this point. I've heard a lot of negativity surrounding Zadina's name as well, but I'm not ready to consider the draft a complete bust, just a few months into the draft +1 season.

I still think Zadina will be a top line scoring winger and I still think Bouchard will be a top three defenseman and number one power-play quarterback. I'm happy with the Zadina pick, but would have been happy if we traded back (like you're suggesting to do this year) and taken Bouchard, plus another player later in the 1st or 2nd round as well.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I put a ton of stock into what Button says about prospects, but I think it's waaay too early to consider Bouchard a "potential bust". Especially based on one man's opinion. The same opinion that considered Bouchard the best defenseman (outside of Dahlin) in the draft, just a few short months ago...

I mean, sure, the possibility is there that Bouchard flops, but the same goes for Zadina, or Hughes, or Boqvist, etc. at this point. I've heard a lot of negativity surrounding Zadina's name as well, but I'm not ready to consider the draft a complete bust, just a few months into the draft +1 season.

I still think Zadina will be a top line scoring winger and I still think Bouchard will be a top three defenseman and number one power-play quarterback. I'm happy with the Zadina pick, but would have been happy if we traded back (like you're suggesting to do this year) and taken Bouchard, plus another player later in the 1st or 2nd round as well.

Going to GR for first season is a VERY good sign.  Larkin didn't even do that.

9 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Going to GR for first season is a VERY good sign.  Larkin didn't even do that.

Larkin couldn't go to the AHL (GR) his first season. Neither could Bouchard, Hughes, or Boqvist this season. Very few players have the option to jump straight to the AHL their first season. Zadina could because of a loophole of him being "on loan" to the QMJHL from the Czech league. If Halifax had actually owned his rights, he would still be in the CHL this season, just like all the other 2018 draftees.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Where did you hear this from??? And I don’t even know why anyone would be surprised look at our last top 10 pick , instead of taking a dman like branstromm we took Rasmussen cause of his size and in my eyes unless he dramatically changes next couple seasons he’s gonna be a third liner we use in front of the net on the ppl 

i know the scouting got better around the league but at this point I’d just tell Hakan Anderson to draft all our picks and try and hit homeruns, tired of us drafting guys who are “sure” nhlers who amount to nothing but bottom line guys and bottom pair dmen 

28 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

well if we land the top pick I’d trade back and take Kaako and try and land a early second if possible , just not sold on all the Hughes hype