• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2019 Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

27 minutes ago, Dabura said:

THERE'S A REASON WHY HE SLID ALL THE WAY FROM 3 TO 6

Had the Wings not taken him at 6, he would have been snagged at 7. lol He will be fine. Not every top ten pick is an immediate first or second year NHLer that produces at an elite level. Hell, not every pick in the top 5 is like that. 

23 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

So when pro scouts take a player (say, I don't know, Rasmussen!) at 9 we're all cool with this and check our opinions and amateur evaluations at the door because pro scouts. Right? :lol:

Big difference bud. I wasn't as mad that we took Rasmussen as I was that we didn't take Vilardi. Vilardi was a player I was really high on, long before the draft, again, for all the reasons above. He was very highly touted, was expected to be a top 5 (some had him top 3) pick. He was someone I had actually watched live, and was very impressed with. His numbers were much better. He was a much better skater. He was a right-handed shot. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 on that injury. No one could have predicted that. But I would have bet on Vilardi being the better player, had he not gotten injured, and he may still be if he can ever get fully healthy... And I didn't once come on here ranting and roaring about how Rasmussen is going to be a complete bust. Again, huge difference.

4 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Had the Wings not taken him at 6, he would have been snagged at 7. lol He will be fine. Not every top ten pick is an immediate first or second year NHLer that produces at an elite level. Hell, not every pick in the top 5 is like that. 

Prime example, Elias Petterson. Not saying Zadina will have the same sort of impact as Petterson, but I think he could very well be in the Calder conversation, and possibly win it next season.

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Big difference bud. I wasn't as mad that we took Rasmussen as I was that we didn't take Vilardi. Vilardi was a player I was really high on, long before the draft, again, for all the reasons above. He was very highly touted, was expected to be a top 5 (some had him top 3) pick. He was someone I had actually watched live, and was very impressed with. His numbers were much better. He was a much better skater. He was a right-handed shot. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 on that injury. No one could have predicted that. But I would have bet on Vilardi being the better player, had he not gotten injured, and he may still be if he can ever get fully healthy... And I didn't once come on here ranting and roaring about how Rasmussen is going to be a complete bust. Again, huge difference.

Prime example, Elias Petterson. Not saying Zadina will have the same sort of impact as Petterson, but I think he could very well be in the Calder conversation, and possibly win it next season.

Petterson was indeed a steal at 5th. The only player producing close to him out of the top 5 in '17 is Hischier.

Actually, he's only 8 points away from Hischier's 82 game 17-18 season total with 39 GP. This season they aren't even close.

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That's me. bud the spud. 

So you know more than Tyler Wright? Because they thought differently then you on draft day. 

So, not "big difference". We're all amateurs. @mackel saw Zadina play and is not high on him. How is this any different then you being so high on Veleno when 29 other pro scouts were not? 

The only actual difference is one of tact and posting style. You typically come from a place of positivity and mackel is typically being a poop sandwich. 

29 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

That's me. bud the spud. 

So you know more than Tyler Wright? Because they thought differently then you on draft day. 

So, not "big difference". We're all amateurs. @mackel saw Zadina play and is not high on him. How is this any different then you being so high on Veleno when 29 other pro scouts were not? 

The only actual difference is one of tact and posting style. You typically come from a place of positivity and mackel is typically being a poop sandwich. 

I didn't once say "I" know more. I'm saying countless other draft analysts, who get their information from the pro scouts, may have been right, and Tyler Wright may have been wrong. That is a possibility is it not? 

How do you figure "29 other pro scouts were not" high on Veleno? That's completely false. He wasn't expected to go until the middle of the 1st, so that would leave roughly 15 teams passing on him. Players slip all the time. It only takes each team to have one player above that player. It's entirely possible that every team had Veleno in the top 15-20 on their pre-draft board. Countless people "in the know" were shocked to see Veleno slip all the way to 30. We lucked out.

Imagine if we had passed on Veleno and taken McLeod or Noel instead. I would have been pissed because Veleno was highly regarded by scouts and draft analysts, he slipped to us, we had an opportunity to take him, and we pass him up for a lesser player. McLeod or Noel may end up being fine players, just like Rasmussen, but I just prefer the higher ceiling players. That is Veleno / was Vilardi at the time.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I didn't once say "I" know more. I'm saying countless other draft analysts, who get their information from the pro scouts, may have been right, and Tyler Wright may have been wrong. That is a possibility is it not? 

How do you figure "29 other pro scouts were not" high on Veleno? That's completely false. He wasn't expected to go until the middle of the 1st, so that would leave roughly 15 teams passing on him. Players slip all the time. It only takes each team to have one player above that player. It's entirely possible that every team had Veleno in the top 15-20 on their pre-draft board. Countless people "in the know" were shocked to see Veleno slip all the way to 30. We lucked out.

Imagine if we had passed on Veleno and taken McLeod or Noel instead. I would have been pissed because Veleno was highly regarded by scouts and draft analysts, he slipped to us, we had an opportunity to take him, and we pass him up for a lesser player. McLeod or Noel may end up being fine players, just like Rasmussen, but I just prefer the higher ceiling players. That is Veleno / was Vilardi at the time.

I'm not actually arguing any of this. It's not one of those arguments. We're cool on all this I think.  (Although Rasmussen was ranked 9th and went 9th :bye:)

I'm just saying that @mackel has an opinion based on what they have seen of Zadina and everyone fired up the poop cannons. You said, to paraphrase, "I guess mackel knows more than pro scouts eye roll". I asked how this was any different then when any of us think we see more or less in a prospect then the scouts and analysts. Then I used a personal example. I was being a bit of a punk about it but it was a legitimate point. 

9 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I'm not actually arguing any of this. It's not one of those arguments. We're cool on all this I think.  (Although Rasmussen was ranked 9th and went 9th :bye:)

I'm just saying that @mackel has an opinion based on what they have seen of Zadina and everyone fired up the poop cannons. You said, to paraphrase, "I guess mackel knows more than pro scouts eye roll". I asked how this was any different then when any of us think we see more or less in a prospect then the scouts and analysts. Then I used a personal example. I was being a bit of a punk about it but it was a legitimate point. 

Again, if mackel had just said, we should have taken Hughes or whoever ahead of Zadina, and that was his gripe, I'd be fine with that. Because a legitimate argument could be made that we could have or maybe even should have taken Hughes ahead of Zadina. I would disagree, but whatever. But to say that Zadina is a bust just a few months into his pro career, in my opinion, is insane... So again, I don't see the similarities in how I, and many other acted when Rasmussen was drafted, and how mackel is acting toward Zadina.

Anyway, it's whatever. I think Zadina will be fine and to me, what professionals are saying about him, holds much more weight than some dude on a forum...

10 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

That's me. bud the spud. 

Liked for poop sandwhich. 

2 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Liked for poop sandwhich. 

same here and also for poop cannon trying to figure out how to work those into my next staff meeting....

Well we just ate a poop sandwich on that deal....LOL 

Well sheet might as well shoot off the poop cannon on that idea!!

Those were my first 2 thoughts....

11 hours ago, BigWillieStyle said:

Hatch didn't play here long enough to earn that title. And when he was still here, pylons we're still serviceable defensemen. 

True, he barely even played at all in Detroit. Spent most of his first season in LTIR then he was bought out. The goal that lost the Calgary series i've always blamed mostly on him though, just standing around, like a pylon, instead of having his man. Might be the reason why i can single him out.

Edited by chaps80

On 1/22/2019 at 12:02 AM, kipwinger said:

I said as much in a previous post.  Actually I said he probably sees all our potential first rounders, sounds like I sold him a bit short if he sees everybody up to round 3. And by "area" scout I meant geographic area, not position as clearly a skater is probably not the best scout for goalies and vice versa.  I don't expect that Wright, or Hakan, for that matter sees every single player we draft.  But I'd imagine they see anyone we're interested in using a high pick on, regardless of position or league or anything else. 

Ya that’s what’s I pretty much meant guess didn’t make it clear , my bad ... wright sees the top 100 players and then relys on the scouts and probably sees videos of these players 

On 1/20/2019 at 7:28 AM, krsmith17 said:

Like kliq said, I'm only asking for sources because you specifically said that you've "been reading that he could get all of a low first, a prospect AND a roster player". If you had said that it was your opinion, I would have just said the last sentence, "I'd be surprised if he could get us a 1st, let alone other pieces along with it". So yeah, sources are important if you're reporting a rumor. Otherwise people won't take it too seriously...

As for sources, I would say Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun or any of the other big names from TSN are the most reputable. Ansar Kahn or Craig Custance are good for Red Wings specific news.

My apologies. I'm new to this board so need to learn my way around. Is Dreger still respected?? lol

I know Holland has claimed he won't move Kronwall but we need the asset(s) at least. Be it a 3rd or whatever the running opinion is. I doubt a playoff bound team will want 20 mins/gm from him.

Why just let him walk when GM's get retarded at TDL? RSD with vet presence holds pretty good value imho. Regardless of how we view his current game.

In other news, look at us getting Chiarelli fired in the 2nd period (according to Nicholson). Friedman now saying Edmonton's first call should be to Yzerman. lol

On 1/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, nyqvististhefuture said:

Just curious .... moron chiarelli calls us and says we’ll give you puljujarvi for Rasmussen would you do it?? Never liked the Rasmussen pick so I’d probably even do it with the thought that Edmonton always ruins the prospects but we’d need someone else coaching us who’s not that dickhead blashill who always treat the kids like garbage 

NOOOOoooo, lol.

The reason Pulji can't get going is he is soft as they come. Don't forget even a fellow-Finn GM in Kekalainen passed on him in favour of Dubois.

Seeing JP's size is hard to think he'd be so soft, but Paul Byron has more jam. JP's got a great shot but everything else is sub-NHL caliber. If he could be half a Laine for Edmonton they wouldn't be headed to the cellar.

Rasmussen is at least an effective 3rd liner rn as he comes to the hard understanding that this isn't jr. Puljijarvi will be a Paajarvi imho.

31 Thoughts

3. The thing I liked most about Nicholson’s presser was that, given the chance to throw Peter Chiarelli under the bus one final time for the Mikko Koskinen signing, he didn’t do it. He called it a collaborative effort. The Oilers checked in on Washington’s Andre Burakovsky, but a couple of sources threw cold water on that. They like Detroit’s Andreas Athanasiou, whose speed seems a perfect complement to McDavid, but there’s no guarantee the Red Wings want to do anything and the price would be costly. There were also rumblings they were talking to Chicago about something bigger and are trying to move Tobias Rieder to open some cap room. Whatever the case, it should be a smooth transition for Keith Gretzky, since he’d be part of the group working on these files.

What would you want from Edmonton for AA? I'd do Puljujarvi straight up. 

20 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

31 Thoughts

What would you want from Edmonton for AA? I'd do Puljujarvi straight up. 

Well, a few days ago (before Chiarelli got fired), I would have said Bouchard and a 1st round pick... Now, Puljujarvi straight up would probably be in the ballpark...

I'm not sure if I'd pull the trigger, but I'd definitely consider it...

I'm also not sure if Keith Gretzky would be that quick to give up on Puljujarvi, a high 1st round pick, after all the scrutiny Chiarelli received for trading away Hall and Eberle, and then Strome too early...