• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2019 Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

19 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Didn't Matthews also play his first game back from injury against us? And Oshie? -__-

Yes. :unhappy:

The difference is that everyone hates the Leafs as a matter of principle. No one actually roots for the Leafs. Not even their fans.

Wings were hated because they put their money where their mouths were and won Cups and were consistently elite over a very long period of time. Leafs ain't won s***.

that and the Russians

48 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Sucks, but for a life time Wing about to hang up the skates, I think respecting his wishes is the right move. I wouldn't burn bridges with a lifer who sacrificed his body the way he has for a 3rd, 4th, or 5th round pick.

Edited by kliq

What do you all think the return for Howard is going to be? I was thinking about it, and when I break it down, here is how I look it.

Here are the teams that are currently in the playoffs, and their starting goalie:

Tampa Bay - Andrei Vasilevskiy
Toronto - Frederik Andersen
Montreal - Carey Price
NYI - Robin Lehner
Washington - Braden Holtby
Pittsburgh - Matt Murray
Boston - Tuukka Rask
Columbus - Sergei Bobrovsky

Winnipeg - Connor Hellebuyck
Nashville - Pekka Rinne 
Dallas - Ben Bishop
Calgary - David Rittich
San Jose - Martin Jones
Vegas - Marc-Andre Fleury
Minnesota - Devan Dubnyk
Vancouver - Jacob Markstrom

I cant see TB, Toronto, Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Columbus, Winnipeg, Nashville, Dallas, San Jose, Vegas, or Minnesota trading a 1st for Howard as all these teams have definitive starters who are either at the same level, or at a higher level then Howard. I know guys like Murray and Holby are struggling, but I can't see their respective teams bringing in Howard for a 1st, and moving these former cup winning goalies into a backup role.

That leaves NYI, Calgary, and Vancouver. Lehner definitely has not shown through his career that he is at Howards level, however this year he ranks #1 in both Save % and GAA, so I cant see them trading for Howard unless he takes a nose dive in the next month. Calgary is in a similar situation, Rittich is no household name, however he is a top 10 goalie this year. Lastly that leaves Vancouver, if they were legit contenders, I could see it as Howard is definitely an upgrade over Markstrom, however they are also a re-building team, would they really give up a 1st so they can MAYBE win a round or two, if that.

Unless one of these goalies gets hurt for the season, I think the return for Howard is going to be low, and I think people should lower their expectations. I hope I am wrong, but when you break it down, I just cant see a scenario (again baring injury) where he lands us a 1st, or even a 2nd. I think he likely goes for a 3rd, or if its even worse then that, maybe Holland just hangs on to him.

I guess the wild card is a team on the outside looking in making the move. Maybe an Edmonton, Colorado, or Carolina? But for any of those teams to give up a 1st, it just seems like a bad move. It would be funny though if Carolina made a move, reuniting Howard with Mrazek lol.

What does everyone else think?

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

What do you all think the return for Howard is going to be? I was thinking about it, and when I break it down, here is how I look it.

Here are the teams that are currently in the playoffs, and their starting goalie:

Montreal - Carey Price
NYI - Robin Lehner
Pittsburgh - Matt Murray
Boston - Tuukka Rask

Nashville - Pekka Rinne 
Dallas - Ben Bishop
Calgary - David Rittich
San Jose - Martin Jones
Minnesota - Devan Dubnyk

I cant see TB, Toronto, Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Columbus, Winnipeg, Nashville, Dallas, San Jose, Vegas, or Minnesota trading a 1st for Howard as all these teams have definitive starters who are either at the same level, or at a higher level then Howard. I know guys like Murray and Holby are struggling, but I can't see their respective teams bringing in Howard for a 1st, and moving these former cup winning goalies into a backup role.

That leaves NYI, Calgary, and Vancouver. Lehner definitely has not shown through his career that he is at Howards level, however this year he ranks #1 in both Save % and GAA, so I cant see them trading for Howard unless he takes a nose dive in the next month. Calgary is in a similar situation, Rittich is no household name, however he is a top 10 goalie this year. Lastly that leaves Vancouver, if they were legit contenders, I could see it as Howard is definitely an upgrade over Markstrom, however they are also a re-building team, would they really give up a 1st so they can MAYBE win a round or two, if that.

Unless one of these goalies gets hurt for the season, I think the return for Howard is going to be low, and I think people should lower their expectations. I hope I am wrong, but when you break it down, I just cant see a scenario (again baring injury) where he lands us a 1st, or even a 2nd. I think he likely goes for a 3rd, or if its even worse then that, maybe Holland just hangs on to him.

I guess the wild card is a team on the outside looking in making the move. Maybe an Edmonton, Colorado, or Carolina? But for any of those teams to give up a 1st, it just seems like a bad move. It would be funny though if Carolina made a move, reuniting Howard with Mrazek lol.

3rd or below, 2nd if lucky

The real question is if Nyquist can land us a 1st, 2nd and 3rd like Tatar did

Howard - Probably a 3rd. Maybe a 2nd. So, he probably isn't going anywhere.

Nyquist - Probably a 2nd + 2nd/3rd/4th/prospect. Maybe a 1st. So much of it hinges on what happens with the big marquee wingers.

12 minutes ago, kickazz said:

The real question is if Nyquist can land us a 1st, 2nd and 3rd like Tatar did

Nope. Tatar had term on his deal and Vegas had a surplus of picks. Ain't no one forking over a 1st and a 2nd and a 3rd for a few weeks of Nyquist.

It'd have to be a sign-and-trade. And even then...

25 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Nyquist - Probably a 2nd + 2nd/3rd/4th/prospect. Maybe a 1st. So much of it hinges on what happens with the big marquee wingers.

Nope. Tatar had term on his deal and Vegas had a surplus of picks. Ain't no one forking over a 1st and a 2nd and a 3rd for a few weeks of Nyquist.

I think you're pretty spot on. Only chance Howard brings in a 1st is if a high end starter or two go down at the same time.

40 minutes ago, kliq said:

Montreal - Carey Price
NYI - Robin Lehner
Pittsburgh - Matt Murray
Boston - Tuukka Rask

Nashville - Pekka Rinne 
Dallas - Ben Bishop
Calgary - David Rittich
San Jose - Martin Jones
Minnesota - Devan Dubnyk

First paragraph, agree completely that those teams won't be looking for goaltending help. Even if Murray and Holtby are struggling, they have two Cups and one Cup respectively, no way they bring anyone aboard to threaten their jobs.

Calgary would be the team most interested I would think. Rittich has done well this season, but the playoffs are a completely different thing, and he has no playoff experience. They do have Smith, who hasn't played a playoff game since 2012, but he's a good veteran presence to help Rittich, and can step in if need be. If they traded for Howard, he would end up in the same role as Smith is currently. Vancouver is probably fine rolling with Markstrom, since they aren't contenders. NYI has Lehner and Griess, I figure they are set.

Unless a playoff team suffers an injury, like you said, it will be difficult to trade Howard, especially for what Holland wants in return. As for the outside teams, Edmonton just signed Koskinen for three years, he's their starter, bringing Howard aboard is unnecessary as Koskinen has proved mostly capable and they aren't making the playoffs anyways. Don't know much about Colorado's sitch, but Carolina has an insanely cheap tandem in Curt Mac and Mrazek, and they haven't hinted at bringing anyone else aboard. Seem confident in Mac as the starter. Although they are only a couple points out of the last WC spot, so that may change in the next month. If they did trade for Howard, i'd want Mac as part of the package in return, sign him for a couple years to split time with Bernier.

5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Howard wont be traded unless a contender suffers an injury at the goalie position.

I like how we went into this season thinking we'd be getting lots of high picks and freeing up a ton of cap space in the summer.

Only chance of landing a first for Howard is if he lands in Calgary , there’s zero doubt they won’t update their goaltending situation ... we’d have to toss in extras though to make it happen which I would in a heart beat , if he wants to come back we resign him July 1

howard and a 3rd for a 1st ... or Howard and glendening for a 1st and 3rd Or kylington ... something along with howard

same with nyquist 

nyquist and Jensen to Nashville for their first

if we have to package s*** in order to get firsts then we need to make it happen , we wanna keep these guys just resign them July 1 , it should be a no brainer 

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

I think there's a somewhat decent shot at a 1st rounder. Or conditional picks that turn into something significant. But I also wouldn't be surprised if all we got was a 2nd. 

5 hours ago, kliq said:

I think you're pretty spot on. Only chance Howard brings in a 1st is if a high end starter or two go down at the same time.

Unlike Mrazek or any young goalie; Howard is a proven starter with a ton of playoff experience. If a high end starter goes down in a real contender, Howard could be worth a 1st or 2nd rounder. But if it's a lower seeded team looking to make a playoff run; just don't see him going more than a 3rd.

Edited by kickazz

54 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I think there's a somewhat decent shot at a 1st rounder. Or conditional picks that turn into something significant. But I also wouldn't be surprised if all we got was a 2nd. 

Unlike Mrazek or any young goalie; Howard is a proven starter with a ton of playoff experience. If a high end starter goes down in a real contender, Howard could be worth a 1st or 2nd rounder. But if it's a lower seeded team looking to make a playoff run; just don't see him going more than a 3rd.

What is your return breakpoint to where you don't trade Howard?

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

A ton of playoff experience? He's started 47 playoff games since '09-'10. Last season he played more than 3 playoff games was in '12-'13. Last playoff game was in '15-'16, when he lost the first two in the opening round before being replaced by Mrazek. I agree he's a proven starter, but he doesn't have a ton of playoff experience for a starting goalie in his tenth NHL season. He might be a bit rusty...

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

What is your return breakpoint to where you don't trade Howard?

If he won't be resigned, you gotta take whatever you can get. If they are planning to resign him, no point even moving him, unless he plans to come back July 1. 2nd rounder would do it for me.

6 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Only chance of landing a first for Howard is if he lands in Calgary , there’s zero doubt they won’t update their goaltending situation ... we’d have to toss in extras though to make it happen which I would in a heart beat , if he wants to come back we resign him July 1

howard and a 3rd for a 1st ... or Howard and glendening for a 1st and 3rd Or kylington ... something along with howard

same with nyquist 

nyquist and Jensen to Nashville for their first

if we have to package s*** in order to get firsts then we need to make it happen , we wanna keep these guys just resign them July 1 , it should be a no brainer 

You think Calgary will definitely look to trade for a goalie before the deadline? Why is that? 

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

A ton of playoff experience? He's started 47 playoff games since '09-'10. Last season he played more than 3 playoff games was in '12-'13. Last playoff game was in '15-'16, when he lost the first two in the opening round before being replaced by Mrazek. I agree he's a proven starter, but he doesn't have a ton of playoff experience for a starting goalie in his tenth NHL season. He might be a bit rusty...

If he won't be resigned, you gotta take whatever you can get. If they are planning to resign him, no point even moving him, unless he plans to come back July 1. 2nd rounder would do it for me.

You think Calgary will definitely look to trade for a goalie before the deadline? Why is that? 

Mike smith has been garbage and rittich is 26 with barely any nhl experience , it would be idiotic to go into the playoffs with that tandem considering how great the team is doing 

There's no way Nyquist will get us a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick, but I do think he could get us a 1st OR a 2nd and 3rd round pick (hopefully the former), which I'd be okay with. I've mentioned before that I'd like to keep Jensen, so unless we can get a 2nd round pick for him, I'd keep him. I'm happy with the decision to keep Kronwall. I just hope he's done after this season. I've heard rumblings about him possibly returning, which would be a terrible decision for the team. There's no way Howard gets us a 1st, unless one of the handful of legit contenders (Tampa, Toronto, Washington, Winnipeg, Nashville) lose their starter to a season ending injury. Otherwise, maybe a 2nd if one of the other playoff teams lose their starter. So basically, I think us trading Howard hinges on a starter going down. I don't think he gets traded. It doesn't look like Vanek will be going anywhere with that NTC and limited trade value.

Outside of our pending UFA's, I hope Holland is shopping Daley. I doubt he'd garner much of a return coming off an injury, but I'd take a mid round pick just to free up that roster spot. There's always rumors of Athanasiou possibly being traded, but I wouldn't do it, unless it's for a fairly significant return. If it were to happen (doubt it does), it would likely be an offseason trade. Some teams could have interest in Glendening or Helm. I'd trade either, but I wouldn't just give them away.

13 hours ago, kickazz said:

Agreed. Getting a 1st for Nyquist definitely isn't outside the realm of possibility, but a 2nd(+) is more realistic. Which is a shame, because Nyquist is the closest thing we have to a golden, um, goose. So, in the quest to obtain an additional 1st, it's possible our, um, goose is cooked.

There might be something to the package idea.

https://theathletic.com/788636/2019/01/28/from-ridiculous-to-realistic-21-potential-targets-for-the-islanders-at-the-trade-deadline/

An article on The Athletic on potential trade targets, specific to the Islanders, but could relate to any deadline buyer...

Gustav Nyquist, Red Wings: Probably the most attractive name on the list of rental forwards. He can still score, second on the ugly Wings with 43 points so far, and he’s also a power-play producer. He would improve the Isles team speed, which has been surprisingly good but could use a boost. And, like some of the pipe dreams, he’s a right wing on a team fairly devoid of them.

Detroit has a desperate need to sell and so little in terms of what it can realistically move, though, so a second and a mid-range prospect would most likely be the cost. Or a couple of seconds. Not ideal for the Isles, but perhaps necessary, even if Nyquist only stayed for a couple of months.

Nick Jensen, Red Wings: The Islanders don’t appear to need much on defense. Toews has made himself a regular and Pelech has steadied enough that the Isles can be patient with Hickey, who may not be back from a suspected concussion until close to the trade deadline. That would give them eight defensemen including Luca Sbisa, seemingly enough to take them down the stretch and into the postseason. If the Isles were to move Pelech in a deal for a forward, then the need on D becomes a bit more urgent, obviously.

If there is a need, it’s for a depth right-shot player. Jensen, 28, fills that role, though with rental depth D-men usually in demand, the Isles could get priced out for a player who should bring back nothing more than a fourth-rounder or so.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

https://theathletic.com/788636/2019/01/28/from-ridiculous-to-realistic-21-potential-targets-for-the-islanders-at-the-trade-deadline/

An article on The Athletic on potential trade targets, specific to the Islanders, but could relate to any deadline buyer...

Gustav Nyquist, Red Wings: Probably the most attractive name on the list of rental forwards. He can still score, second on the ugly Wings with 43 points so far, and he’s also a power-play producer. He would improve the Isles team speed, which has been surprisingly good but could use a boost. And, like some of the pipe dreams, he’s a right wing on a team fairly devoid of them.

Detroit has a desperate need to sell and so little in terms of what it can realistically move, though, so a second and a mid-range prospect would most likely be the cost. Or a couple of seconds. Not ideal for the Isles, but perhaps necessary, even if Nyquist only stayed for a couple of months.

Nick Jensen, Red Wings: The Islanders don’t appear to need much on defense. Toews has made himself a regular and Pelech has steadied enough that the Isles can be patient with Hickey, who may not be back from a suspected concussion until close to the trade deadline. That would give them eight defensemen including Luca Sbisa, seemingly enough to take them down the stretch and into the postseason. If the Isles were to move Pelech in a deal for a forward, then the need on D becomes a bit more urgent, obviously.

If there is a need, it’s for a depth right-shot player. Jensen, 28, fills that role, though with rental depth D-men usually in demand, the Isles could get priced out for a player who should bring back nothing more than a fourth-rounder or so.

Could relate to any team that's in the same general cap position, has the same general needs, has a similar prospect pool, and is in a similar position in the standings as the Islanders. 

So...like...nobody else. 

Edited by kipwinger