• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2019 Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I mean, totally agree, but at this stage of his career is Howard happy to make the playoffs or does he want a realistic chance at winning a Cup?  Because while we might make the playoffs next year, we're almost certainly not a Cup contender for at least another 3 years I'd think.

Fair question. I get the impression he'd like to stay, because he's put roots down and he's the undisputed starting goalie and there've been whispers about him wanting to stay put, but I guess we as outsiders can't be sure where he truly stands on the matter.

7 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

This nonsense again .... they had conversations but  like I said the deal doesn’t happen unless Vegas gets the player they wanted and with the time running out on deadline day and Vegas doing so great in their inaugural season and wanting to make a splash Tatar was the best they can do at that moment 

but hey your pretty funny maybe you should go to a open mic night in some l.a comedy club and give like Andy dick a run for his money 

He hasn’t been paying his phone bill since the Tatar trade when his phone rang and startled him

No. What's funny is the notion that the Tatar deal just "fell in his lap" and he doesn't deserve any credit for it. Even if he was dealing from a position of strength...and even if Vegas was "desperate"...he still got more value back than he should have. He negotiated the pants off McPhee in that deal, but I guess the haters gotta hate.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

I figure Holland's pretty serious about wanting to re-sign him and I figure Howard probably wouldn't mind sticking around.

Holland wants the team to push for the playoffs next season. If just a few things go right for us, we might have an honest shot at getting back into the playoffs. Howard gives us a chance to win every night, so we're mostly managing to avoid the whole "consistently bad goaltending that crushes the spirit of a rebuilding team that's already low on confidence" thing, which is good.

Ain't gonna be around next year.

NHL Trade Buzz: Predators may make another big move [NHL.com]

The Predators will remain in the market for an upgrade in scoring production unless the return of center Kyle Turris and improvement from left wing Kevin Fiala yields the necessary returns, general manager David Poile said on "The Midday 180" on 104.5 The Zone in Nashville on Thursday.

Turris, who has 18 points (six goals, 12 assists) in 30 games this season, is expected to return to the Predators lineup against the Dallas Stars at Bridgestone Arena on Thursday (8 p.m. ET; FS-TN, FS-SW, NHL.TV). He has missed the past 17 games with a lower-body injury.

Fiala has one point, a goal, in seven games since Jan. 17. He has 29 points (nine goals, 20 assists) in 55 games this season.

"If those guys can do it, we're probably not making any more moves," Poile said.

Short of that, Poile said he'd be willing to do anything he feels will make the Predators better, even if it means parting with some of their top prospects, including forward Eeli Tolvanen, the No. 30 pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.

"Nothing is out of the realm of possibilities," Poile said when asked specifically if he would use Tolvanen as a trade chip to improve the current roster. "It's a little bit of an arms race these couple weeks before the trade deadline and I don't want to say I would react to what another team does. I mean, first and foremost, you've got to take care of your own team, but I'm not saying no to anything right now. … I'm making calls. I'm receiving calls. I'm just looking for an opportunity to improve our team. If that comes our way between now and Feb. 25, I'm all in."

The Predators acquired rugged forwards Brian Boyle and Cody McLeod in separate trades Wednesday,

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I've been clamoring for a Nyquist for Fabbro trade for some time now, but I just realized, Fabbro still hasn't been signed by Nashville, due to playing college hockey. Just wondering how that would work? Would they be able to trade his rights, without having him under contract? Would that be too risky a trade for us? Once he's done with Boston U, couldn't he become a free agent and sign with any team he wants? Not saying I think he would do that, but I guess it would be a possibility...? 

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Say it with me, fam: Gustav Nyquist (+) for Dante Fabbro (+).

:lol: See above.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I've been clamoring for a Nyquist for Fabbro trade for some time now, but I just realized, Fabbro still hasn't been signed by Nashville, due to playing college hockey. Just wondering how that would work? Would they be able to trade his rights, without having him under contract? Would that be too risky a trade for us? Once he's done with Boston U, couldn't he become a free agent and sign with any team he wants? Not saying I think he would do that, but I guess it would be a possibility...? 

why u gotsta kill my dreams

Another thing I was thinking about... We all know that Vanek has a NTC, but maybe he asked for that, not so much so that he wouldn't be traded, but more so that he could control where he gets traded. Look at the teams he's been traded to over the past several years. He was traded to Montreal in 2014, Florida in 2017 and Columbus in 2018, all fringe playoff teams, with virtually no chance at winning the Cup. He might be around for another year or two, but why would he not want to get traded to a top team for a chance to get his name on the Stanley Cup? I think he would.

Regardless, we're not likely to get anything more than a 3rd or 4th round pick, but I'd take it. He's still been pretty solid in an offensive role, and could provide offensive depth for any of the top handful teams...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

LOL mine too buddy, mine too...

I'd still trade for him, even if it were just his rights, but there would have to be a conditional pick involved for sure.

Honestly, I hadn't even considered the college/rights/FA angle. Given our recent track record in the "wooing top college players who can pick where they want to play" department, I'm guessing he'd "NOPE!" the heck out of our gravitational pull and sign with the Wild because he grew up in Minnesota and played his college hockey there and his dad owns a farm there.

38 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

They can trade his "rights", it just happened in the Jake Muzzin trade:

JANUARY 28: Toronto Maple Leafs acquire defenseman Jake Muzzin from Los Angeles Kings in exchange for forward Carl Grundstrom, rights to defenseman Sean Durzi and 2019 first-round pick.

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Honestly, I hadn't even considered the college/rights/FA angle. Given our recent track record in the "wooing top college players who can pick where they want to play" department, I'm guessing he'd "NOPE!" the heck out of our gravitational pull and sign with the Wild because he grew up in Minnesota and played his college hockey there and his dad owns a farm there.

Huh? I thought he was from British Columbia? He was born in Coquitlam, BC and played his youth/junior hockey there as well. As far as I know, he only moved to the United States when he went to BU.

It's possible that he could refuse to sign with Detroit, but I think there would be a high probability that he would sign. The Wings defensive depth is relatively thin, and he'd likely be given a spot as soon as he finishes up at University. He would also have a buddy (Cholowski) from his home province that he could potentially be paired with, that could fill him in on the "culture" in Detroit and the Red Wings organization.

Also, like I said, if such a trade were to happen, there would have to be a conditional pick involved based on him signing. 

55 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

He wants to turn pro and I can’t see the preds giving him ice time now and a long playoff run , Detroit would be perfect ... if we’d smarten up and get rid of Daley and other garbage pieces but we definetly have to make this deal happen

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Another thing I was thinking about... We all know that Vanek has a NTC, but maybe he asked for that, not so much so that he wouldn't be traded, but more so that he could control where he gets traded. Look at the teams he's been traded to over the past several years. He was traded to Montreal in 2014, Florida in 2017 and Columbus in 2018, all fringe playoff teams, with virtually no chance at winning the Cup. He might be around for another year or two, but why would he not want to get traded to a top team for a chance to get his name on the Stanley Cup? I think he would.

Regardless, we're not likely to get anything more than a 3rd or 4th round pick, but I'd take it. He's still been pretty solid in an offensive role, and could provide offensive depth for any of the top handful teams...

That makes sense re: the NTC. He's at the end of his career and he really likes being in Detroit, so if he's gonna be dumped somewhere for a measly 3rd-round pick, it makes sense that he'd want to have a say in the matter.

That being said, I'm mostly expecting him to stay put. I feel like he's only producing this season because Blashill has gone out of his way to give him all the minutes and opportunities and leeway he can possibly handle despite the fact that he's basically playing beer league hockey at this point. I'm surprised we haven't seen him killing penalties.

I dunno. Maybe he'd be a good fit on a team that's sorta playing with house money, e.g. Calgary, NYI.

45 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

LOL mine too buddy, mine too...

I'd still trade for him, even if it were just his rights, but there would have to be a conditional pick involved for sure.

He wants to turn pro this season so I’m sure if we traded for him we would know before the deal happened if he’d sign with us or not 

32 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Can land Clarke with that 3rd round pick 

Some interesting thoughts on Jimmy Howard and the trade deadline.  I like the idea of a Calgary or Columbus deal, Colorado too, but they've already taken their first rounder off the table so I'm not sure what else they've got to offer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/five-teams-call-jimmy-howard-214357918.html

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Huh? I thought he was from British Columbia? He was born in Coquitlam, BC and played his youth/junior hockey there as well. As far as I know, he only moved to the United States when he went to BU.

:lol: Sorry. Was alluding to Sutergate and how that basically ushered in the era of "Detroit is in the mix...Detroit has rolled out the red carpet...I've gotta think Detroit has a real good shot here...Detroit has been informed that [player] will be signing with [literally any organization that isn't the Wings]."

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It's possible that he could refuse to sign with Detroit, but I think there would be a high probability that he would sign. The Wings defensive depth is relatively thin, and he'd likely be given a spot as soon as he finishes up at University. He would also have a buddy (Cholowski) from his home province that he could potentially be paired with, that could fill him in on the "culture" in Detroit and the Red Wings organization.

Also, like I said, if such a trade were to happen, there would have to be a conditional pick involved based on him signing. 

Don't you do this to me, krbro. Don't you build me up (build me up), buttercup baby, just to let me down (let me down) and mess me around.

No but srsly, I agree that it looks like a good marriage on paper. I've just gotten used to thinking there's a good fit there and then watching the player sign elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Been saying it for the longest time jimmy howard to the flames is the most trade that makes the most sense, especially after yesterday’s games where Kane scored a garbage goal I can’t see how they don’t upgrade the goalie situation 

Makes sense from a fan perspective, I was thinking the same thing. It all comes down to how the Flames feel about David Rittich, and what their internal scouting staff see's from him. At the end of the day the kid is playing like a top 10 goalie right now, but its definitely a risk to take essentially a rookie into the post season when you could be the #1 seed. I'd take a Smith like package for Howard, 2nd and 3rd round pick.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

30 minutes ago, Dabura said:

That makes sense re: the NTC. He's at the end of his career and he really likes being in Detroit, so if he's gonna be dumped somewhere for a measly 3rd-round pick, it makes sense that he'd want to have a say in the matter.

That being said, I'm mostly expecting him to stay put. I feel like he's only producing this season because Blashill has gone out of his way to give him all the minutes and opportunities and leeway he can possibly handle despite the fact that he's basically playing beer league hockey at this point. I'm surprised we haven't seen him killing penalties.

I dunno. Maybe he'd be a good fit on a team that's sorta playing with house money, e.g. Calgary, NYI.

I'm relatively positive that when Vanek signed this summer it was specifically said that he requested the NTC because he did NOT want to be traded again at the deadline. Can't really blame the guy, he's been traded at the last 2 deadlines and has bounced around 6 different teams over the last 4 er 5 years. The mans got a wife and three kids, that's gotta take a toll on the family.