• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2019 Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If you can't re-sign him, then yes, get something for him. But unless it's an overpayment, I don't do it unless I know he's leaving.

My point was that Holland should be looking to re-sign him first and foremost, and not go into full blown fire sale mode.

Based on everything we're hearing, that's essentially the approach Holland is taking. See if you can't work out an extension, and, concurrently, listen to any and all offers. If it's looking like an extension isn't in the cards, start working the phones more aggressively.

I trust that Holland will do the right thing. Or, at least, not totally fudge it up.

Having those 3 pending aging soon to be ufa d’s in your roster in the first place is poor roster management . If Jensen doesn’t resign before money he needs to go, you have zero assurances he returns and he’s most likely to test the market

anyone in his shoes would , this could be the only time he gets a decent contract in his life 

this was in reply to neomax 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Why? He's not keeping anyone off the roster who should be there. Try to trade him next season or let him play out his contract. I see no benefit in a buyout and taking on a needless cap hit.

In my opinion, both Cholowski and Hronek need to be on the roster full time next season. With Green, DeKeyser, Daley and Ericsson still under contract, talks of Kronwall coming back for another season, talks of Jensen being re-signed, there are no vacant roster spots. Ideally, I'd like to see Kronwall retire, Jensen re-signed and one of Ericsson or Daley traded, waived or bought out. Next season go into the season with...

Cholowski - Green

DeKeyser - Jensen

Ericsson - Hronek

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

In my opinion, both Cholowski and Hronek need to be on the roster full time next season. With Green, DeKeyser, Daley and Ericsson still under contract, talks of Kronwall coming back for another season, talks of Jensen being re-signed, there are no vacant roster spots. Ideally, I'd like to see Kronwall retire, Jensen re-signed and one of Ericsson or Daley traded, waived or bought out. Next season go into the season with...

Cholowski - Green

DeKeyser - Jensen

Ericsson - Hronek

Who's the early consensus for 1st overall in 2020 again? Lafreniere? :lol:

Why can't we get rid of Kronwall?  This team doesn't owe him anything.  I'd be stoked if we played:

Green-Cholo

Hronek-Sulak

Saariarvi-DeKeyser

Lindstrom/McIsaac

Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley, and Jensen should all be off this team by training camp.  Jensen has been great, but he is prime trade bait right now.

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Who's the early consensus for 1st overall in 2020 again? Lafreniere? :lol:

:lol:

Don't worry, we'll be in the running for the Lafreniere sweepstakes regardless, but getting younger should be the priority in my opinion. Keeping Cholowski and Hronek down, and keeping Kronwall and Ericsson / Daley around probably increases our odds, but I'd take the development of two young kids already in the system over a slightly (5-10%) better chance at drafting number one overall a year and a half from now.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

:lol:

Don't worry, we'll be in the running for the Lafreniere sweepstakes regardless, but getting younger should be the priority in my opinion. Keeping Cholowski and Hronek down, and keeping Kronwall and Ericsson / Daley around probably increases our odds, but I'd take the development of two young kids already in the system over a slightly (5-10%) better chance at drafting number one overall a year and a half from now.

If we play Bernier, we will lose no matter what.  He is the Cujo of this decade.

37 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why can't we get rid of Kronwall?  This team doesn't owe him anything.  I'd be stoked if we played:

Green-Cholo

Hronek-Sulak

Saariarvi-DeKeyser

Lindstrom/McIsaac

Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley, and Jensen should all be off this team by training camp.  Jensen has been great, but he is prime trade bait right now.

Ideally yes, and probably a defense of core that looks promising later on. I am on board. 

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

All I know is that if Holland doesn't trade two of this team's top 5 players at this year's deadline I am going to be pissed. 

Anyone on the current roster who's a pending UFA hopefully realizes that there's a good chance that Holland would re-sign them come July...Not only would they help themselves by being traded to a team that has playoff potential, but the Wings in the form of draft pick/s.

13 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Of all the players being talked about, I will be the most upset if Jensen is traded. I've been in his corner for a long, long time.

I will say that I just recently acknowledged his performance...A late bloomer whom I'd love to see stick around for a few more seasons (only after he's traded for a 1st rounder by the deadline, and then re-signs with Detroit in July).

56 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Of all the players being talked about, I will be the most upset if Jensen is traded. I've been in his corner for a long, long time.

If he’s not resigned by Monday we can’t not trade him , if I were in his shoes I’d be going to July 1, he’s never had this much attention until now and at 28 this might be his best and only shot at say a 10 mill deal x3 or something like it 

someone sends a 2nd and a 5th let’s say he’s gone if he’s refusing to sign 

9 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

I'm sure I'm missreading this, but are you suggesting Nyquist would be worth more to a team trying to trade for him than Stone or Duchene?  Maybe you are referring to cap hit, but all are UFA's.  Both Stone and Duchene are quite a bit better than Nyquist and they are both younger as well.

Agreed, however for a rental age doesnt really matter when all the players are under 30.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Cholowski - Green

DeKeyser - Jensen

Ericsson - Hronek

Agreed. Trades and buyouts are also a solution. And even if Kronwall returns, there are always injuries within the D corp. Hronek and Cholowski will almost certainly be on the roster next year.

What I don't want to see is 20 something players who can be re-signed traded for picks unnecessarily. Guys like Goose and Jensen are the kind of guys we should be supplementing the roster with along with the kids.

When guys like Kronner, E, TD, Vanek, Wit, Green, Helm are gone they'll have to be replaced by somebody. There arent enough kids in the system to fill all of those spots when they become available. We could go the free agency rout then and fill those holes (and likely pay more or get lesser players) or we could just keep just enough of the right guys now by re-signing them.

I think the idea that rebuilding means trading as many guys as you can to acquire as many picks as you can is oversimplifying the process. The draft isn't a fixall. You cant solve every problem thru it. You have to trade the right guys, sign the right free agents, re-sign the right guys, draft the right guys. That's how you rebuild.

I know you understand this, but it seems like there is a fire sale mentality out there that we should trade everyone who was born before Mantha. That's just silly.

Obviously, we shouldn't lose any of Nyquist, Howard, or Jensen for nothing. And if they can't be re-signed, then yes, they should be traded. But I would be trying to re-sign Howard to a 2-3 year deal, Nyquist to a 4 year deal, and Jensen to a 3.

We're already getting a lottery pick this year and have 2 2nd rounders. It wouldnt be a crushing blow if KH didnt add to that considering any of the picks acquired will most likely never be as good as those 3 anyway. Keep em. Make them our future vets.

Bottom line for me is that this isn't the year to swap players for picks. That's next year when Green, E, and Daley are all up and the following year when Helm and Glenny are up.

8 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

If he’s not resigned by Monday we can’t not trade him , if I were in his shoes I’d be going to July 1, he’s never had this much attention until now and at 28 this might be his best and only shot at say a 10 mill deal x3 or something like it 

someone sends a 2nd and a 5th let’s say he’s gone if he’s refusing to sign 

Even if he's not re-signed by Monday (on paper), it is possible that there is some sort of handshake deal in place. But yes, I agree, if Holland can't come to terms with Jensen (or any of the other pending UFA's), they should be shopped.

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Agreed. Trades and buyouts are also a solution. And even if Kronwall returns, there are always injuries within the D corp. Hronek and Cholowski will almost certainly be on the roster next year.

What I don't want to see is 20 something players who can be re-signed traded for picks unnecessarily. Guys like Goose and Jensen are the kind of guys we should be supplementing the roster with along with the kids.

When guys like Kronner, E, TD, Vanek, Wit, Green, Helm are gone they'll have to be replaced by somebody. There arent enough kids in the system to fill all of those spots when they become available. We could go the free agency rout then and fill those holes (and likely pay more or get lesser players) or we could just keep just enough of the right guys now by re-signing them.

I think the idea that rebuilding means trading as many guys as you can to acquire as many picks as you can is oversimplifying the process. The draft isn't a fixall. You cant solve every problem thru it. You have to trade the right guys, sign the right free agents, re-sign the right guys, draft the right guys. That's how you rebuild.

I know you understand this, but it seems like there is a fire sale mentality out there that we should trade everyone who was born before Mantha. That's just silly.

Obviously, we shouldn't lose any of Nyquist, Howard, or Jensen for nothing. And if they can't be re-signed, then yes, they should be traded. But I would be trying to re-sign Howard to a 2-3 year deal, Nyquist to a 4 year deal, and Jensen to a 3.

We're already getting a lottery pick this year and have 2 2nd rounders. It wouldnt be a crushing blow if KH didnt add to that considering any of the picks acquired will most likely never be as good as those 3 anyway. Keep em. Make them our future vets.

Bottom line for me is that this isn't the year to swap players for picks. That's next year when Green, E, and Daley are all up and the following year when Helm and Glenny are up.

I think we're more or less on the same page. I don't want all of Nyquist, Jensen and Howard traded no matter the return, just get rid of them for the sake of getting rid of them... However, with the amount of chatter, reliable sources saying that there is a lot of interest in all three, if we can get a good to great return, I'd trade all three.

Holland has been playing all of this perfectly (so far). He's talking terms and contract with the player's agents, to get a feel whether or not they want to come back, and if they do, how much / how long? If any of them want to test free agency, trade them. I think if a team offers a 1st or a 2nd, plus for Nyquist, you have to take it. Same goes for Jensen and Howard, if a team offers a 2nd, plus for either, take it.

Making these trades gives us plenty of ammo in the upcoming draft as well as increases our lottery odds. All can be replaced within the organization or through trade / free agency. Who knows, they might even come back after their Cup run.

13 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

What about Nyquist or Howard? How would that make you feel?  :lol:

If the price isn't right, I will just assume re-sign them.  Both Gus and Jimmy have earned new contracts here. My price id a 1st for each. Bottom line. I do not want a low 2nd from a contender. Gus can have 4 years to help this rebuild along, and even Jimmy probably won't be here for our next Cup, Bernier is garbage (hated the signing from day 1) and right now, we really don't have a G to step in and be a #1. So, I am sure you are picking you jaw up off the floor ATM, but if we don't get at LEAST a 1st for each, I am keeping Gus and Jimmy and extending them. If I am the GM, I already have agreements on the table for them to sign if we don't move them.

Again, I want no part of moving Jensen, but again, if a 2nd+ comes my way, I probably would, but I would hate it.

23 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If the price isn't right, I will just assume re-sign them.  Both Gus and Jimmy have earned new contracts here. My price id a 1st for each. Bottom line. I do not want a low 2nd from a contender. Gus can have 4 years to help this rebuild along, and even Jimmy probably won't be here for our next Cup, Bernier is garbage (hated the signing from day 1) and right now, we really don't have a G to step in and be a #1. So, I am sure you are picking you jaw up off the floor ATM, but if we don't get at LEAST a 1st for each, I am keeping Gus and Jimmy and extending them. If I am the GM, I already have agreements on the table for them to sign if we don't move them.

Again, I want no part of moving Jensen, but again, if a 2nd+ comes my way, I probably would, but I would hate it.

LOL Jaw picking-up has commenced

I have to say, given your past anti-Howard/Nyquist bias I am very impressed with you non-partisan thoughts. I feel the exact same way.