• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Neomaxizoomdweebie

2020 Winter Classic

Rate this topic

The NHL has formally announced that the 2020 Winter Classic will be held at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX between the Stars and Predators.

A: These are 2 regional teams that the rest of North America doesn't follow, so why would the league choose them for their biggest showcase game of the year?

B: The average game time temperature in January in Dallas is 55F. A little warm for an outdoor game don't you think?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The NHL has formally announced that the 2020 Winter Classic will be held at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX between the Stars and Predators.

A: These are 2 regional teams that the rest of North America doesn't follow, so why would the league choose them for their biggest showcase game of the year?

B: The average game time temperature in January in Dallas is 55F. A little warm for an outdoor game don't you think?

A: I guess they'd like to showcase the two teams, and grow the game even further in the southern states.

B: Nah, they have icemakers and cooling systems to maintain the ice at much warmer temperatures than that. Wasn't it nearly 80°F for the game a few years ago in LA? 

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

A. I mean, they have to sell their other products.... They've been trying to expand in the south and other parts of the country for years. This shouldn't come as a surprise at all. 

B. I'm sure the players wouldn't mind not playing in -20 degree weather for a change. As far as ice conditions; it's 2019 for technology. 

Edited by kickazz

I know some don't like it but I think the NHL knows it has to become much more national if it wants to be able to compete with football, baseball, and basketball. I have signed Yzerman, Fedorov, and Zetterberg jerseys as well as a game used Datsyuk stick hanging in my law office and clients are always amazed that someone would have those things in an office in New Mexico and ask how in the world did I get interested in the sport. If the NHL wants to expand its brand it has to do it nationwide.

1 hour ago, Frozen-Man said:

I know some don't like it but I think the NHL knows it has to become much more national if it wants to be able to compete with football, baseball, and basketball. I have signed Yzerman, Fedorov, and Zetterberg jerseys as well as a game used Datsyuk stick hanging in my law office and clients are always amazed that someone would have those things in an office in New Mexico and ask how in the world did I get interested in the sport. If the NHL wants to expand its brand it has to do it nationwide.

Can i be your secretary?

9 hours ago, Frozen-Man said:

Pretty much.

The key for this league is they have to sell it to the south if they want to compete with NFL/NBA. Vegas has been a success story thus far. Winter Classic is a great way to continue this. If anything; showing that it's possible to play on ice outdoors down there will probably be intriguing to people. Often times it's just shoved to the side "oh it's too hot to play on ice in the summer". This mentality needs to change. It was in issue in Michigan too growing up for a lot of the local arenas and one of my biggest pet peeves growing up. Given the opportunity, I would have rather played in an ice rink in the summer time everyday but it just wasn't feasible with the lack of cost effective measures and tech for those arenas back then. 

Edited by kickazz