• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

All Star Weekend Idea

Rate this topic

The all star games are ridiculously lame now.  I think we could all agree to that.  But imagine the NBA/NHL/NFL/MLB all coming together for an extravaganza.  I would tune in for Larkin in the home run derby vs Kevin Durant vs Patrick Mahomes.  Fastest skater Steph Curry vs. Andrew Luck vs. Mike Trout.  ETC.  Then have a 1 day pro am scramble gold tournament with 1 player from each sport and a PGA tour player.

I'd watch something like that for about 5 minutes just to see the horror.

Honestly though, I think "fixing" all star weekend shouldn't be a topic anyone spends time on.  I think what they are doing is fine, I enjoy some of, don't enjoy other parts of it....no big deal.  The weekend is really for the kids, leave it at that.  It's not like all the other pro leagues put on spectacular all star weekends and somehow the NHL is broken.  NHL is the only one I spend any time watching.  Mostly because that's my sport, but also because I think the other leagues do a worse job with it.

Go back to the format where the top 2 vote getters draft their own teams like they did when Lids and Chara were captains. And let the actual hockey people like coaches, players, and GMs have more to do with choosing the players instead of the fans who are often times clueless.

How about we not play the All Star game and forego the All Star break.  It's lame in every sense.  Have an All Star awards ceremony or whatever, but marching guys out to play a game of no-touch floor hockey is tired.  Having them "Mic'd Up" is really earth shattering and compelling.  Whoooaaaa...Ovechkin just said "let's get er' going boys!"  Give me more!!

I loved the All-Star game when I was a kid, and I'm sure the kids of today do as well. They are, after all, the target audience. I haven't gotten excited about an All-Star game since the late 90's, early 2000's. Nowadays, I'll usually have it on in the background if I'm home, but it's not a must-watch for me anymore. I still think the best format they ever had was back in '99 when they went with North America vs World All-Stars. Awesome!

By the way, @Learn2LuvIt, hearing Yzerman, Shanahan, etc. mic'd up would have been cool as s*** to 12 year old me. And I'm sure kids still love that sort of stuff from their idols today.

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I loved the All-Star game when I was a kid, and I'm sure the kids of today do as well. They are, after all, the target audience. I haven't gotten excited about an All-Star game since the late 90's, early 2000's. Nowadays, I'll usually have it on in the background if I'm home, but it's not a must-watch for me anymore. I still think the best format they ever had was back in '99 when they went with North America vs World All-Stars. Awesome!

By the way, @Learn2LuvIt, hearing Yzerman, Shanahan, etc. mic'd up would have been cool as s*** to 12 year old me. And I'm sure kids still love that sort of stuff from their idols today.

LOL.  You're probably right.  I'm getting old and cranky.