• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2/1 TGIF GDT - Maple Leafs @ Red Wings - 7:30 PM ET

Rate this topic

Red Kelly Jersey Retirement Ceremony to begin at 7:00 PM [DetroitRedWings.com]

For those not attending tomorrow night's game, the pre-game ceremony will be carried live on FOX Sports Detroit beginning at 7:00 p.m., and will be available for viewing in its entirety on DetroitRedWings.com following the game.

Leonard "Red" Kelly spent parts of 13 seasons with the Red Wings, winning four Stanley Cups, earning three Lady Byng Trophies and claiming the Norris Trophy in 1954. Kelly also led the Maple Leafs to four Stanley Cups and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1969, in addition to being named one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players in conjunction with the league's celebration of its 100th anniversary in 2016-17.

Kelly's No. 4 becomes the Red Wings' eighth retired number in franchise history, joining Sid Abel (No. 12), Alex Delvecchio (No. 10), Gordie Howe (No. 9), Nicklas Lidstrom (No. 5), Ted Lindsay (No. 7), Terry Sawchuk (No. 1) and Steve Yzerman (No. 19).  

Notes: Red Wings hit the ice after eight-day break [DetroitRedWings.com]

BERTUZZI OUT, FRK IN: Tyler Bertuzzi did not practice with his teammates Thursday as he was still suffering the effects of an upper-body injury that happened in Edmonton.

With Bertuzzi out and Abdelkader returning to the top line, that opened a spot for Frk on the fourth line as he skated with Jacob de la Rose and Christoffer Ehn.

HRONEK AND CHOLOWSKI: Before the break, rookie defenseman Dennis Cholowski was a healthy scratch for two games while fellow rookie Filip Hronek drew into the lineup.

"I think there's multiple benefits to sitting," Blashill said. "Sometimes it really makes you dig in, makes you look in the mirror and say, 'What do I got to be better in?' It's one thing for the coach to say you got to be better at this, it's another for when you get slapped a little bit. It's something I've used at different times with different players and it can be a real beneficial thing and it can be beneficial to watch the game, too, and sometimes take a breather. I think Dennis has very, very good offensive ability. I think Dennis is going to be a very good player. He's very young.

"I had lots of conversations with Dan Bylsma comparing him with (Pittsburgh Penguins All-Star) Kris Letang. He's got lots of stuff where he's going to be a real good player but it's going to take time. You got to make sure you continue to grow the defensive side of the game for sure. This is a league where you cannot outscore your mistakes. I think he's finding that out. The other unfortunate part for us is we haven't had enough times this year where we've been able to kind of use him the way we would have liked to use him. At the beginning of the year we were so short on D he got thrown into the fire and then in the middle of the year when Greener and DK (DeKeyser) went out, he got thrown into the fire. Instead of using him in that 5-6 pair and on the power play and the offensive blue line, easing his way into the National Hockey League he's been thrown into the fire too many times and all the sudden you lose a little bit of confidence."

During the break, the Wings sent Hronek back to Grand Rapids and the plan is to keep him there a while.

"We wanted to make sure Fil kept playing during the break," Blashill said. "Then we made the decision to leave him down there for now. Some of that goes into his long-term development, too. Between the guys we have here, we'd like to make sure he's running the power play. I think he's a guy who can kill penalties. He's killed for us but he hasn't killed much down there and that's a conversation I've had with their coaching staff - and he has this year but he didn't prior to this year. Hard for this to be the league you learn how to kill in. I want him to go down there and make sure he does a real good job of killing so that he brings that part to the table as a right-shot that can kill for us, he'd be a real asset but we want to make sure he's getting some of those reps down there and not necessarily up here.

"I got lots of belief in Fil long-term for us. I think in time, he can push to be a top-four type defenseman if he manages his game great, meaning he plays great defensively, hard as can be on the puck and creates offense without taking unneeded chances. That's the area he's got to make sure he does when he does go down there, play exactly how you're going to play up here. Him and I had a conversation two days ago as well, make sure you're playing exactly the same way you're playing here. You're not trying to be an offensive risk-taker. I want him to play more like Mark Giordano in Calgary, who creates tons of offense but doesn't take much risk."

On Thursday, Cholowski was paired with Ericsson and was back on the second power-play unit.

tl;dr

• Bertuzzi out this weekend (upper body), Frk in
  • 1st line: Nyquist--Larkin--Abdelkader
  • 4th line: Ehn--de la Rose--Frk
  • Hronek staying in GR for a little while longer
  • Cholowski back in
Edited by Dabura

Grand Rapids Griffins 5 at Texas Stars 3 [GriffinsHockey.com]

Michael Rasmussen scored two goals in his first game as a Griffin and Harri Sateri hit a season-high five-game winning streak in the Grand Rapids Griffins' 5-3 win over the Texas Stars at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park on Thursday night.

Grand Rapids (26-14-3-4) now has 59 points in the Central Division, four above the second-ranked Iowa Wild. The Griffins will head southwest tomorrow night to close out their Texas road trip at 8:30 p.m. EST against the San Antonio Rampage.

Notes: Rasmussen is in the Griffins' lineup while on a conditioning assignment from the Detroit Red Wings

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

Notes: Red Wings hit the ice after eight-day break [DetroitRedWings.com]

tl;dr

• Bertuzzi out this weekend (upper body), Frk in
  • 1st line: Nyquist--Larkin--Abdelkader
  • 4th line: Ehn--de la Rose--Frk
  • Hronek staying in GR for a little while longer
  • Cholowski back in

Thanks for posting this. Always good to get some insight into coaching/roster decisions. There really is a method to it.

6 hours ago, Rick D said:

Finally!

I'm excited to put my new 82" Samsung to good use.

LGRW!!

I believe they call that a jumbotron.

18 minutes ago, kjw25 said:

Glad to see Abby on the first line, he has earned it!

Couldnt agree more.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Can't wait for next years forward line up. 

AA - Larkin - Bertuzzi

Mantha - Hughes - Nyquist

Rasmussen - Datsyuk - Nielsen

Helm - Glendening - Abdelkader 

Hughes - Larkin - Mantha

Bertuzzi - Nielsen - Zadina

Rasmussen - Veleno - Athanasiou

Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Hughes - Larkin - Mantha

Bertuzzi - Nielsen - Zadina

Rasmussen - Veleno - Athanasiou

Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm

You forgot Datsyuk 

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

FIFY

I just don’t think Abdelkader has a good chemistry with Larkin anymore without Zetterberg. I put AA there because

Nyquist 

Sucks

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Hockeymom-Mahonas-Dabura

LeftWinger-91ofRyans-Michael

FlashyG-Neo-Incarnate

KRSmith-RickD-Kickazz

I'll drop the gloves with hockeymom for that 1st line spot :lol:

WE'RE BACK!! HYPE!!

LGW!! I'm at work until midnight. Enjoy the game everyone.

9 minutes ago, MabusIncarnate said:

I'll drop the gloves with hockeymom for that 1st line spot :lol:

WE'RE BACK!! HYPE!!

LGW!! I'm at work until midnight. Enjoy the game everyone.

I'm just thrilled that he put me on the 2nd line :yahoo:

Off in the distance you can see the opposing teams' bench...Are the Leafs wearing their 'home' blue jerseys?

If so...Cool.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Hockeymom-Mahonas-Dabura

LeftWinger-91ofRyans-Michael

FlashyG-Neo-Incarnate

KRSmith-RickD-Kickazz

Methinks 2/3rds of that 2nd line would have water bottles full of Buffalo Trace :lol:

Edit: bonus hi5s for putting LeftWinger on the left wing.

Edited by The 91 of Ryans