• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2/1 TGIF GDT - Maple Leafs @ Red Wings - 7:30 PM ET

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I think we're starting to see glimpses of what this team, with some hypothetical and/or imminent upgrades, could be capable of.

I haven't seen people talking about it, but lately this team is showing much better in the shot counts.

• January 2 - SOG: DET 32, CGY 35
  • January 4 - SOG: NSH 30, DET 39
  • January 6 - SOG: WSH 34, DET 25
  • January 8 - SOG: MTL 25, DET 32
  • January 11 - SOG: DET 35, WPG 27
  • January 12 - SOG: DET 37, MIN 18
  • January 15 - SOG: ANA 24, DET 25
  • January 18 - SOG: DET 35, CGY 36
  • January 20 - SOG: DET 37, VAN 31
  • January 22 - SOG: DET 27, EDM 34
  • February 1 - SOG: TOR 21, DET 33

And that's with a patchwork D corps plus a power play that generally 1) doesn't see as much action as other teams' power plays do (i.e. we struggle to draw penalties), 2) doesn't put more than two shots on net, and 3) doesn't score much.

Defensively, we seem to be playing the "entrenched zone defense" pretty effectively, giving the opposition the perimeter but clogging the high-danger areas. Offensively, we seem to be doing a better job of pressuring on the forecheck and battling to regain and maintain possession of the puck in the O zone. We've seen how effective Gerard Gallant's ultra-aggressive forechecking system can be (with the Panthers and the Knights). While we're not quite playing that system, you can see how a speedy and tenacious future Wings forward group -- with some high-percentage shooters spread all throughout the top nine -- could be a handful for opposing defenses.

There were some sequences in last night's game where we came in really hard and fast on the forecheck and smoked the Leafs out of their own zone, sort of like a dog herding sheep. No matter how good a team's blue line is and no matter how precise a team tends to be in its breakouts, no one wants to be rushed when they're trying to move from defense to offense and no one wants dogs nipping at their heels when they're trying to move through the neutral zone. Apply pressure, create anxiety, force mistakes. It's good to see the Wings doing more of this and spending more time in the role of aggressor.

The SOG numbers also show that this team is missing really good scorers. SOG are great,  some will inevitably go in, but when ur losing games despite equal or leading in shots,  you have a serious lack of finishers.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:27 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The SOG numbers also show that this team is missing really good scorers. SOG are great,  some will inevitably go in, but when ur losing games despite equal or leading in shots,  you have a serious lack of finishers.

.jpg

Edited by krsmith17

7 hours ago, mackel said:

He'd have slid further had we not picked him...  Nail Yakupov 2.0

Yakupov played in the NHL. Zadina won't ever play in the NHL. He'll be playing in Switzerland by the end of the season, mark my words. There's a reason why he slid all the way from 3 to 6. There's a reason why he might've slid all the way from 3 to 7 had we not picked him. This kid is bad news. I seen it with my own two eyes. Probably the biggest bust in the history of the league, if we're being honest. Fire Holland. Trade Zadina while he still has value. Start the rebuild all over again. This is just an absolute disaster.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Good point... Do you think he would have slid further had Vancouver not picked him as well?...

The Wings are the only organization stupid enough to take a bum like Zadina. If we don't draft him, he goes undrafted. Other teams' scouts saw what I saw, which is that this kid is a bum who scores goals. Unmitigated disaster. Mike Ilitch is rolling in his grave right now.

Edited by Dabura

47 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Yakupov played in the NHL. Zadina won't ever play in the NHL. He'll be playing in Switzerland by the end of the season, mark my words. There's a reason why he slid all the way from 3 to 6. There's a reason why he might've slid all the way from 3 to 7 had we not picked him. This kid is bad news. I seen it with my own two eyes. Probably the biggest bust in the history of the league, if we're being honest. Fire Holland. Trade Zadina while he still has value. Start the rebuild all over again. This is just an absolute disaster.

The Wings are the only organization stupid enough to take a bum like Zadina. If we don't draft him, he goes undrafted. Other teams' scouts saw what I saw, which is that this kid is a bum who scores goals. Unmitigated disaster. Mike Ilitch is rolling in his grave right now.

https://i.gifer.com/4bhv.gif

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Your sarcasm adds nothing to the conversation... it only succeeds in making you look childish.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Good point... Do you think he would have slid further had Vancouver not picked him as well?...

I think he'd have slid into the late teens, 20s.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:48 AM, Dabura said:

"saw"

Ammirite boys or wha? @krsmith17  @kipwinger

:yahoo:

Edited by The 91 of Ryans