• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Nick Jensen + 2019 5th Round Pick (BUF) Traded to WSH for Madison Bowey + 2020 2nd Round Pick

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Where is this talk about Bowey's skating being a cause for concern coming from?...

"Bowey is a dynamic defenseman who has continued to improve his overall game. His best asset is his skating abilities, which he uses with and without the puck..."
"Bowey is mobile along the blueline, and makes it difficult for opposing forwards to cover him because he could move laterally or move down the boards with the puck in a hurry. He has so many options due to his speed, that opponents are half a step late in trying to read what his next move will be..."
"Bowey is a gifted defenseman with a lot of upside. He still has a few kinks in his game, but there are some scouts who rave about him. He is a quality skater, if not high end, with a powerful stride, good balance, four-way bursts, and above-average top speed that enables him to close gaps quickly. He shows a willingness to engage, that along with a solid strength level, can help him erase checks off of pucks effectively. He also makes plays as a stick checker. Bowey has very good ability as a puck mover, whether he is rushing the puck out of his own zone, or moving it around on the power play. When he is on his game, his offensive hockey sense can be sterling. He has what one scout describes as a heavy shot from the blue line, adding to his multi-dimensional offensive ability. However, scouts have concerns about his defensive play, particularly in his risky decision-making—he sometimes gambles ineffectively when deciding to pinch or rush. His defensive zone play is not bad, but he is inconsistent with his positioning. Still, it is important to note that he did improve on that skill in the second half of this season. 
Very smooth skater already has a pro stride… Does a great job advancing the puck and using his agility in defensive coverage… Not an elite offensive player but should be a capable 2nd unit PP player… Possesses tremendous athletic upside… Needs to continue to improve dzone positioning.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draft-P

I think Bowey is more than just a throw-in like some people seem to be suggesting. He is a bit of a reclamation project, but the raw skill is definitely there. The biggest question for me, is like others have mentioned, can he sort out any off-ice issues, and get his game back on track. I think he can. He was projected to be a top pair defenseman just a few short years ago. I'd say top four is still possible, but at worst, a solid bottom pair defenseman. Which is all Jensen ever was, and he's 5 years younger.

Right now, I'd say this looks like a very good trade by Holland, and it could be an absolute steal if Bowey lives up to the hype a few years ago... He's still only 23. Jensen was what? 26 when he finally cracked the Red Wings full time? Looking forward to see him suit up in the next few games...

I don't disagree. You're describing a boom or bust project which Bowey is at this point. Very good chance hes nothing but a servicable bottom pair... but their remains a chance that he can rediscover his scoring and be more than that. Red Wings liked him in his draft year apparently. 

Also he is a cup champion at 23. Maybe he can teach our group of neutered nancys to win something for once.

But at that end of the day his name is Madison. Thats a girls name. And i dont like that.

No offence to your daughter KR

21 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He wont be playing for the Wings if he cant give up the doobage. Hoping he doesnt pull a Ricky Williams and choose drugs over career.

Yeah he can. Weed is legal in Michigan as of now. 

Edited by kickazz

33 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Yeah he can. Weed is legal in Michigan as of now. 

It's legal in Canada as well, but you still can't smoke it with a lot of occupations. You can get fired from most jobs if it shows up on a drug test. I would assume professional hockey would probably fall in that category... Not saying I agree or disagree, but I doubt anyone on the Red Wings openly smokes marijuana...

43 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It's legal in Canada as well, but you still can't smoke it with a lot of occupations. You can get fired from most jobs if it shows up on a drug test. I would assume professional hockey would probably fall in that category... Not saying I agree or disagree, but I doubt anyone on the Red Wings openly smokes marijuana...

The NHL doesn't care if you test positive for Cannabis. Players don't get suspended nor fined for it. It's one of the most lenient professional leagues when it comes to that. They only intervene when it's an excessive amount (like you basically abuse the drug and are addicted) and in that case they simply have the player attend a behavior health program and even then no action is taken against the player. It's basically like an alcoholic having to attend "alcoholics anonymous 12 step program" or something.

The Red Wings franchise won't care and most of their players probably smoke it anyways. What they probably care about is enhancing drugs and opioid abuse and driving under the influence. Things that poses a threat to themselves and others basically. Getting high on a friday night or drunk on a Saturday night is just plain old western culture.  

Anyways there was an article that came out last year or something suggesting that 70% of the players in the NHL do weed leisurely. I'd predict in the next 5 or so years they'll pretty much remove Cannabis from tested drugs list altogether. 

Having said that, I understand coaches don't want players getting drunk/high before games and have strict curfews during travel. So with that I'm sure when there's games involved there's probably strict rules. But as far as leisure and during time off from games; I doubt anyone cares as long as it's not becoming a problem like addiction etc. 

I know Bowman and Babcock were strict as hell about curfews and partying and such things. I wonder how Blashill is. I have a feeling he's more lenient. 

@nyqvististhefuture Tl;dr. Drugs and booze. 

Edited by kickazz

Just now, DickieDunn said:

WTF are the Caps smoking?

Even if Bowey washes out, it's a good trade.  Mediocre d-man and a 5th for a 2nd round pick.

Now he needs to move Howard and Nyquist

ANDDDDD welcome back. 

What an entrance. 

It just goes to show how s***ty the defenseman market is. I have nothing against Jensen but that fact that he was sought after speaks volumes to availability these days. 

Edited by kickazz

Just now, kickazz said:

ANDDDDD welcome back. 

What an entrance. 

Thanks.  Haven't watched much hockey this year, too busy with other stuff to watch a team that's going to lose more often than not for 82 games.  I like what I've seen from the younger guys though.  Need more of them in the lineup, especially on D.  

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

The NHL doesn't care if you test positive for Cannabis. Players don't get suspended nor fined for it. It's one of the most lenient professional leagues when it comes to that....

You sound pretty confident, so I'll take your word for it... Good news for Bowey I guess... :lol: 

13 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You sound pretty confident, so I'll take your word for it... Good news for Bowey I guess... :lol: 

When Canada legalized it; I did a bit of research on how the NHL would take it and that's where I found out how lenient NHL actually is. 

Edited by kickazz

5 hours ago, kickazz said:

The NHL doesn't care if you test positive for Cannabis. Players don't get suspended nor fined for it. It's one of the most lenient professional leagues when it comes to that. They only intervene when it's an excessive amount (like you basically abuse the drug and are addicted) and in that case they simply have the player attend a behavior health program and even then no action is taken against the player. It's basically like an alcoholic having to attend "alcoholics anonymous 12 step program" or something.

The Red Wings franchise won't care and most of their players probably smoke it anyways. What they probably care about is enhancing drugs and opioid abuse and driving under the influence. Things that poses a threat to themselves and others basically. Getting high on a friday night or drunk on a Saturday night is just plain old western culture.  

Anyways there was an article that came out last year or something suggesting that 70% of the players in the NHL do weed leisurely. I'd predict in the next 5 or so years they'll pretty much remove Cannabis from tested drugs list altogether. 

Having said that, I understand coaches don't want players getting drunk/high before games and have strict curfews during travel. So with that I'm sure when there's games involved there's probably strict rules. But as far as leisure and during time off from games; I doubt anyone cares as long as it's not becoming a problem like addiction etc. 

I know Bowman and Babcock were strict as hell about curfews and partying and such things. I wonder how Blashill is. I have a feeling he's more lenient. 

@nyqvististhefuture Tl;dr. Drugs and booze. 

Why am I tagged?

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Caps haven't lost since Jensen joined their lineup

Wings haven't won since Bowey joined our lineup

Jensen's playing about 16 min a night in Washington and putting up real gud advanced stats with their club. Probably the product of a good team, but still he's fit right in. The new Kempny.

Jensen has had real gud advanced stats all season. He's a very underrated player. Always has been. I still like the trade though. We got good value for a player that won't be the same player he is now, when we're through the rebuild. I'm still hopeful Bowey can turn it around in Detroit. He was a very promising young prospect just a couple years ago. Things went south in Washington, but the potential is still there. I've seen flashes of it. If he can just clean up his defensive game (turnovers in particular), he could be a good NHL defenseman.

Although Jensen was the most "tradeable" of all the defensemen, he was the last one who should have been traded. I would have preferred DD, Daley, E, or Kronner be traded. Green and Jensen are the only 2 I would have wanted to keep.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Although Jensen was the most "tradeable" of all the defensemen, he was the last one who should have been traded. I would have preferred DD, Daley, E, or Kronner be traded. Green and Jensen are the only 2 I would have wanted to keep.

I agree. The return was solid, but I would have preferred to keep Jensen and move one of the other defensemen. I still think DeKeyser is a solid top 4 defenseman though, given the proper usage and defense partner. And Kronwall has earned the right to retire a Red Wing. I hope that comes after this season... One of Daley or Ericsson should be gone after this season, whether that's via trade or buy-out. Doubt it happens though...