• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

3/2 I Don't Like Sand GDT - Red Wings @ Coyotes - 8:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Also, Edmonton's a laughingstock because they've wasted a series of 1st overall picks. We've...missed the playoffs for three years.

Some folks just don't understand that rebuilding teams are losing teams and rebuilds don't happen overnight. But if we fire Blashill and hire Stevie Y everything will change overnight.

23 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Some folks just don't understand that rebuilding teams are losing teams and rebuilds don't happen overnight. But if we fire Blashill and hire Stevie Y everything will change overnight.

I generally like the way Holland plays the game for better and for worse, and that being said, I still wanna see how Yzerman would run this team. Holland can't do this forever, and Yzerman seems to be an A quality GM.  I'd pull trigger.

50 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I generally like the way Holland plays the game for better and for worse, and that being said, I still wanna see how Yzerman would run this team. Holland can't do this forever, and Yzerman seems to be an A quality GM.  I'd pull trigger.

As would I. My point was how some people think that draft picks and former captains are magical unicorns that will fix everything.  Thats not reality. Put Yzerman in charge and trade every bad contract on this team for draft picks and its still a bad team. Its still a team in a rebuild. Plain and simple. Could Yzerman do a better job than Holland? Sure. Could Quenneville do a better job than Blashill? Maybe. But the idea that anything is better than Holland and/or Blashill is nuts. So is the idea that change is improvement. Not always. Put anyone you want as manager and coach and its still a lottery team. Its still years away from a full rebuild and contention. Yzerman doesnt fart rainbows. He cant change that.

Y took over the TBL in 2010. Guess how many cups theyve won in the last 9 years? 0. Same as Holland, despite having better teams. Holland is in year 3 of his rebuild and everyone wants him fired. Yzerman had 8 years and won nothing, but everyone wants him instead. Where is the logic in that?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

As would I. My point was how some people think that draft picks and former captains are magical unicorns that will fix everything.  Thats not reality. Put Yzerman in charge and trade every bad contract on this team for draft picks and its still a bad team. Its still a team in a rebuild. Plain and simple. Could Yzerman do a better job than Holland? Sure. Could Quenneville do a better job than Blashill? Maybe. But the idea that anything is better than Holland and/or Blashill is nuts. So is the idea that change is improvement. Not always. Put anyone you want as manager and coach and its still a lottery team. Its still years away from a full rebuild and contention. Yzerman doesnt fart rainbows. He cant change that.

And I agree, I think it's only a matter of time b4 certain fans turn on Yzerman as well. He's not gonna s*** daisies immediately.  

The Wings are going through a rebuild (finally).

Holland has embraced the rebuild, icing a fatally flawed team and stocking up on draft picks.

Holland has presided over two drafts in this new rebuild era, and from those drafts he's pulled five 1st-round-caliber players in Rasmussen, Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac, and Berggren.

The Wings are currently in 30th place with 17 games left. The Wings currently own 10 picks in the upcoming draft, including our 1st, our 2nd, and two other 2nds.

If the Wings keep playing the way they're playing, we could be looking at Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko. Getting Kakko would immediately accelerate the rebuild. Getting Hughes would change everything. Hell, getting Bowen Byram -- who no one's projecting to go in the top three -- would give us that elusive stud D prospect who projects as a legit #1 defenseman.

All of which is to say the Wings are where they should be. Yzerman wouldn't be doing things in a noticeably different way. Yzerman wouldn't buy out Abdelkader and Helm and DeKeyser and Nielsen. Yzerman wouldn't say, "We need this roster to be filled to the brim with kids. Younger is always better." Yzerman probably wouldn't be making huge trades, because we don't have much to trade and we don't have any malcontents like Drouin.

If we replace Blashill and we finish next season in 20th place, people will complain that we're not tanking properly.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Holland has embraced the rebuild, icing a fatally flawed team and stocking up on draft picks.

Holland has presided over two drafts in this new rebuild era, and from those drafts he's pulled five 1st-round-caliber players in Rasmussen, Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac, and Berggren.

The Wings are currently in 30th place with 17 games left. The Wings currently own 10 picks in the upcoming draft, including our 1st, our 2nd, and two other 2nds.

If the Wings keep playing the way they're playing, we could be looking at Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko. Getting Kakko would immediately accelerate the rebuild. Getting Hughes would change everything. Hell, getting Bowen Byram -- who no one's projecting to go in the top three -- would give us that elusive stud D prospect who projects as a legit #1 defenseman.

All of which is to say the Wings are where they should be. Yzerman wouldn't be doing things in a noticeably different way. Yzerman wouldn't buy out Abdelkader and Helm and DeKeyser and Nielsen. Yzerman wouldn't say, "We need this roster to be filled to the brim with kids. Younger is always better." Yzerman probably wouldn't be making huge trades, because we don't have much to trade and we don't have any malcontents like Drouin.

If we replace Blashill and we finish next season in 20th place, people will complain that we're not tanking properly.

We should replace Blashill, some of that dead weight should be bought out, and we should be 20th or better next season...  IF this team is taking a step forward.  Its highly unlikely that we go from bottom 3 to a playoff team in one off season... but some forward progress would be nice.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I am curious whether Yzerman's contract with Tampa extends through the 2019 draft or not. My understanding is that most staff contracts end about the same time the season ends or sometime between the end of the season and FA, but I am in no way 100% positive on that.

My question being: Will Yzerman be advising Holland at the draft or Brisebois?

16 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Whats more magical? Farting rainbows? Or s******g daisies?

How it feels to chew 5 gum

33 minutes ago, mackel said:

We should replace Blashill, some of that dead weight should be bought out, and we should be 20th or better next season...  IF this team is taking a step forward.  Its highly unlikely that we go from bottom 3 to a playoff team in one off season... but some forward progress would be nice.

We've seen some forward progress this season. Larkin's become a legit 1C. Our forward group is led by young players. We're getting younger overall. But we don't have the talent to be especially competitive and I don't think there's much we can do about that aside from being patient and having another big draft or two.

This was always going to be a rough year. Do we pull the plug on Blashill because the bad team he's been given is performing the way you'd expect it to perform and the way we need it to perform (because we need a top-five pick)? Does adding Joel Quenneville actually take this rebuild forward or does it just put us back in no man's land?

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I am curious whether Yzerman's contract with Tampa extends through the 2019 draft or not. My understanding is that most staff contracts end about the same time the season ends or sometime between the end of the season and FA, but I am in no way 100% positive on that.

My question being: Will Yzerman be advising Holland at the draft or Brisebois?

My guess is he does neither, i.e. he sits back and doesn't get involved and watches how things play out. He can bide his time.

Don't quote me on that tho.

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

We've seen some forward progress this season. Larkin's become a legit 1C. Our forward group is led by young players. We're getting younger overall. But we don't have the talent to be especially competitive and I don't think there's much we can do about that aside from being patient and having another big draft or two.

This was always going to be a rough year. Do we pull the plug on Blashill because the bad team he's been given is performing the way you'd expect it to perform and the way we need it to perform (because we need a top-five pick)? Does adding Joel Quenneville actually take this rebuild forward or does it just put us back in no man's land?

My guess is he does neither, i.e. he sits back and doesn't get involved and watches how things play out. He can bide his time.

If his contract ends before the draft, you gotta think Tampa has been smart enough to keep Yzerman in the dark on scouting the entire season anyway.

5 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Actually, wait, that's a stupid answer. If he's contractually obligated to advise Brisbois, obviously he's gonna advise Brisebois.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If his contract ends before the draft, you gotta think Tampa has been smart enough to keep Yzerman in the dark on scouting the entire season anyway.

Good point.