• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

3/10 Florida, Vol. 2 GDT - Red Wings @ Panthers - 5:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

PK

Zero shot suppression tonight. Absolutely none. Any given Panther is essentially unguarded at any given moment in our zone. Not sure I've ever seen anything like it in all my years of following this league.

just hit the iron, it was almost 7-1 there... why the hell not, at this point....?

Well, I was off work today. This felt like one of those off days where you are on call and are probably going to get called into work, so your off day is kind of ruined knowing you are likely going to have to go in. That's what this game felt like, I want half of my Sunday back. 

1 minute ago, MabusIncarnate said:

Well, I was off work today. This felt like one of those off days where you are on call and are probably going to get called into work, so your off day is kind of ruined knowing you are likely going to have to go in. That's what this game felt like, I want half of my Sunday back. 

Yep, that sounds about right.

Just remembered krsmith was at this game. :unhappy:

I did not watch the game today so maybe I'm out of line here, but how does Mantha only have one shot on goal?  He's supposed to be a core player, and he's supposed to be offensive, and there's a perfect opportunity for him to step up and carry the load while Larkin is hurt and he only has ONE shot on goal against the Panthers.  Yikes.

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I did not watch the game today so maybe I'm out of line here, but how does Mantha only have one shot on goal?  He's supposed to be a core player, and he's supposed to be offensive, and there's a perfect opportunity for him to step up and carry the load while Larkin is hurt and he only has ONE shot on goal against the Panthers.  Yikes.

Mantha always seems drained of energy, his disposition reminds me of Franzen so much. Maybe it's just how he carries himself, but I constantly feel like he could have done more on a lot of plays.

7 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

How come the Ilitch family is so clueless and is willing to keep Holland and Blashill around as long as they want to be around?  

Fans have been clamoring for a painful rebuild for years. Now that we're finally getting it, those same fans are complaining that the team is bad and Holland doesn't know what he's doing.

Being terrible for a few years is how we get back to being good again.

GM Yzerman didn't have to tank because the Bolts had already drafted Stamkos and Hedman (by being terrible). We don't have a Stamkos and we don't have a Hedman. Being in 30th place (at the moment) potentially puts us in a position to get a guy who could turn out to be as much of a gamechanger as Matthews has been for the Leafs.

Speaking of the Leafs, they were in much the same boat before they got Matthews. Nylander was a good prospect but wasn't seen as a gamechanger. Marner was a good prospect but wasn't seen as a gamechanger. The team was bad and Nylander and Marner were held off the Leafs roster for most of the Matthews Tank Season because being a Leaf was such a miserable experience that season. Then they got Matthews.

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Wings went into the second intermission with ten shots on goal; the team was a total disaster.

I do want to see more out of Mantha, but, at the same time, I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. That being said, I don't think he's a "core player" like Larkin is a "core player." Mantha and AA are looking like our new Nyquist and Tatar: decent top-six wingers, nothing more, nothing less.

Then again, it took Franzen a few years to become The Mule. (And he had the benefit of playing on powerhouse teams.)

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

LA won!

We're back in 30th place! :w00t2:

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2018/league

Da bottom

image.png.8c8c65acdcde0ff1e9b0ab78a84afccb.png

All 4 bottom dwellers @ 69 games played buuut being a debbie downer...we are tied with LA and our ROW is  less. Otherwise we are in the thick of it.  Need Ottawa to somehow win some regulation games. That schedule you posted favors us but definitely need to lose @ NJ(4pt swing) then 3 straight killer games Boston, Pitt/Pitt then Buffalo which is my up to MI game.

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

Fans have been clamoring for a painful rebuild for years. Now that we're finally getting it, those same fans are complaining that the team is bad and Holland doesn't know what he's doing.

Being terrible for a few years is how we get back to being good again.

GM Yzerman didn't have to tank because the Bolts had already drafted Stamkos and Hedman (by being terrible). We don't have a Stamkos and we don't have a Hedman. Being in 30th place (at the moment) potentially puts us in a position to get a guy who could turn out to be as much of a gamechanger as Matthews has been for the Leafs.

Speaking of the Leafs, they were in much the same boat before they got Matthews. Nylander was a good prospect but wasn't seen as a gamechanger. Marner was a good prospect but wasn't seen as a gamechanger. The team was bad and Nylander and Marner were held off the Leafs roster for most of the Matthews Tank Season because being a Leaf was such a miserable experience that season. Then they got Matthews.

It's Holland's fault the team has to rebuild with two hands tied behind its back.  A rebuild shouldn't involve having so many impossible contracts that no team wants to touch (Nielsen, Abdelkader, Ericsson, etc.).  We all knew there would eventually be a rebuild when Lidstrom and the Euro twins retired.  Holland made it worse by overpaying everyone else. 

Also, how many promising goaltending prospects do we have?  How about on defense?  We have a few forwards who may turn into something, but overall the drafting hasn't been very good.  This team's entire future is banking on this upcoming draft and the delusion some of us have of luring big name free agents to Detroit this summer.          

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

It's Holland's fault the team has to rebuild with two hands tied behind its back.  A rebuild shouldn't involve having so many impossible contracts that no team wants to touch (Nielsen, Abdelkader, Ericsson, etc.).  We all knew there would eventually be a rebuild when Lidstrom and the Euro twins retired.  Holland made it worse by overpaying everyone else.

Everyone keeps pointing to our bad contracts. Are they what's holding us back? Does it really matter that we have bad contracts on the books when we don't have the pieces needed to open up a Cup window (i.e. elite young talent)?

Ericsson has a year left. Green has a year left. Kronwall has a year left (assuming he doesn't retire in the offseason). Daley has a year left. DeKeyser's actually a pretty decent shutdown defenseman when he's healthy.

I'd be more worried about Helm and Nielsen and Abdelkader and [insert anyone else] if I actually felt like they were holding us back from being a really competitive team. But I don't think that. I think what's really holding us back is a lack of high-end talent, mostly of the young, cost-controlled variety. How do we get that kind of talent? By sucking and stockpiling draft picks. Which is what we're doing. And is what Yzerman would be doing.

Also, how many promising goaltending prospects do we have?

Filip Larsson and Keith Petruzzelli are the headliners.

How about on defense?

Hronek, Cholowski, Jared McIsaac, Gustav Lindstrom.

Hronek's quietly having a really good rookie season. Cholowski showed glimpses of top-pairing potential this season. McIsaac's been a revelation in the QMJHL this season. Lindstrom's an under-the-radar two-way workhorse.

Bowen Byram is the consensus top defenseman in this year's draft class and there's a good chance he's going to be available when we make our first pick.

We have a few forwards who may turn into something, but overall the drafting hasn't been very good.

The drafting has been fine for where we've drafted. And we've only had two tank drafts. Rome wasn't built in a day.

This team's entire future is banking on this upcoming draft and the delusion some of us have of luring big name free agents to Detroit this summer.          

This team's entire future is not banking on this upcoming draft and this upcoming UFA class. Realistically, it'll be at least one more year of pain and stockpiling picks before we have all the pieces we need.

Edited by Dabura

Right now barring any winning streak from our boys we probably get a top 6 pick min(assuming a 3rd from bottom finish). So I am good with suffering for long term gain plus as contracts fall off we get cap healthier and HOPEFULLY learn from our mistakes on contracts. 

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Right now barring any winning streak from our boys we probably get a top 6 pick min(assuming a 3rd from bottom finish). So I am good with suffering for long term gain plus as contracts fall off we get cap healthier and HOPEFULLY learn from our mistakes on contracts

I'm hoping Holland's decision to part with Nyquist means he's learned. Time will tell...