• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

Relegation

Rate this topic

Not sure what I missed about the dumpster fire and i do admit to looking up EPL as I am not a soccer fan. 

Correct me if I wrong in the soccer leagues the bottom teams drop down and the upper crust of the league below come up. So would we banish the Senators to the AHL? The teams that vie for the Calder winner moves up?

Color me curious....

53 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Not sure what I missed about the dumpster fire and i do admit to looking up EPL as I am not a soccer fan. 

Correct me if I wrong in the soccer leagues the bottom teams drop down and the upper crust of the league below come up. So would we banish the Senators to the AHL? The teams that vie for the Calder winner moves up?

Color me curious....

The bottom 3 EPL teams get relegated.  So...

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This Ottawa scenario is an absolute embarrassment.  

The EPL has relegation.  The NHL should take a hard look at it.  

Agreed. Do it after we draft next two years though.

Edited by kickazz

Assume this is a joke simply to remove the current last place team so Detroit is then in last place and has best chance at #1 pick.  

Being serious though....I wouldn't want a relegation system....maybe because I'm not used to it, keep it the way it is mentality, but also, teams aren't actually that weak anymore.  Ottawa is on pace for 61 points this year, they finished with 24 points in 92-93.

Relegation won't work in North American sports. 

I agree that there's definitely no incentive to tank on purpose in European football.  Teams that are relegated lose all their good players the following season and lose tons of sponsors.  In North American sports, you're rewarded with higher draft picks.  

On 3/12/2019 at 9:51 AM, AtlantaHotWings said:

Color me curious....

Exactly.  

21 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Just give them a handicap of +30 points. That way they will always be on the playoff bubble with no top picks while being the worst team in the league.

Or if you finish out of the playoffs and based on your final league position the last 3 seasons that creates your handicap which could move you back in the draft pick show?

27 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Or if you finish out of the playoffs and based on your final league position the last 3 seasons that creates your handicap which could move you back in the draft pick show?

Maybe have teams 17 through 32 all get the same odds in lottery ball format.  Then 16 playoff teams as it is now.  I do like the idea of the bottom 2 teams getting penalized instead of rewarded tho.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, Jonas Mahonas said:

This Ottawa scenario is an absolute embarrassment.  

The EPL has relegation.  The NHL should take a hard look at it.  

Oh man - that would put pro sports in N. America in a f-ing tailspin if this were to happen over here.

But keep in mind...There's no salary cap in soccer/football, and players can be 'bought' from around the globe.

6 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Oh man - that would put pro sports in N. America in a f-ing tailspin if this were to happen over here.

But keep in mind...There's no salary cap in soccer/football, and players can be 'bought' from around the globe.

Yes, it would definitely have to be done differently here.