• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Red Wings Sign Princeton Forward Ryan Kuffner to Two-Year ELC

Rate this topic

Red Wings sign Princeton forward Ryan Kuffner to entry-level deal [DetroitRedWings]

DETROIT - The Detroit Red Wings today signed forward Ryan Kuffner to a two-year entry-level contract. 

Kuffner, 22, has spent the last four seasons at Princeton University, where he totaled 75 goals in 132 games to become the university's all-time leading goal scorer. During his senior campaign in 2018-19, Kuffner's 22 goals led the ECAC and was fourth in the nation. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound forward also led the nation this season in points-per-game (1.419). During his junior year, Kuffner paced Princeton with 29 goals and was second on the team in scoring with 52 points en route to being named a Second-Team All-American and helping the Tigers to an ECAC Tournament Championship and an automatic berth into the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament. In all, Kuffner recorded 152 points (75-77-152) in 132 games with Princeton. He was also a member of the ECAC All-Academic Team in each of his first three seasons (2015-18), with awards for this season to be announced in the coming weeks. 

He's from Ottawa. Get rekt, Sens!

Edited by Dabura

9 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I wonder if this knowledge helped make their decisions on where to sign. I don't know much about either of them, but I'm guessing there were other teams that were interested in them as well. 

Will be fun to see them get some games.

Was wondering the same thing myself. I'm assuming it was a factor.

I don't follow college hockey too closely, so I'm not super-familiar with either player. Having done some quick & dirty research, it seems to me that Hirose was widely regarded as the top collegiate UFA. Sounds like the Leafs were close but he ultimately chose the Wings. In terms of what kind of player he is...seems like a Nyquist type, i.e. smallish playmaking winger, very good setup guy.

Kuffner sounds like more of a pure scorer, with some sandpaper to his game.

I actually think Kuffner will end up being better than Hirose.  I've never heard of this kid before but he's got better college numbers than Zach Hyman had, and comparable stats to Jimmy Vesey.  Both those guys are pretty productive depth wingers.  Hirose seems too little and slow to be good in the NHL. Clearly skilled though.  He's like the Joe Hicketts of forwards. 

15 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I actually think Kuffner will end up being better than Hirose.  I've never heard of this kid before but he's got better college numbers than Zach Hyman had, and comparable stats to Jimmy Vesey.  Both those guys are pretty productive depth wingers.  Hirose seems too little and slow to be good in the NHL. Clearly skilled though.  He's like the Joe Hicketts of forwards. 

I see them as 3rd-round selections (except we didn't have to use actual picks to get them); I'm not expecting much from them, but there does seem to be some decent NHL potential there.

I find it interesting that Kyle Dubas was so keen on Hirose.

Kuffner achieved goal in signing with Wings, wants to prove he belongs [DetroitRedWings.com]

When 15-year-old Ryan Kuffner wasn't selected in the OHL draft, he doubted if his dream of playing in the NHL would ever come true.

As it turns out, that disappointment was just the kick in the pants he needed to get serious about his hockey career. 

"I had heard so many stories of guys who didn't make it into the OHL and just shut down their hockey career and I didn't want that to be me," the Ottawa native explained. "As every 15-year-old hockey player does, I had dreams of playing in the NHL and winning Stanley Cups. So, I set short-term goals to help me improve and take the next step and then the next step and then the next and I just wanted to keep going until I made it to the NHL."

When the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Kuffner first arrived at Princeton, he already knew the things he wanted to work on -- his skating, his strength, his shot -- but all of that combined has turned into what Fischer said is his greatest asset -- his ability to find different ways to produce offense.

"He knows what he's doing on the ice and he's got a strategy on how to get open in the offensive zone," Fischer explained. "He knows how to make a play under pressure when his space is taken away by the defenders and (I) think that's an extremely important skill because at the pro level guys are a little bit bigger and a little bit faster and a little bit smarter and that results in less space, more pressure, playing on the wall and in traffic a little bit more and he seems to know how to get open every time."

According to Ron Fogarty, Princeton's head coach, it's because Kuffner practices with a purpose every day and is constantly on the ice early and stays late to work on his skills.

"It's not a fluke that he's the all-time scoring leader at Princeton. He worked at it and put himself in great positions, but in practice he would shoot from different spots on the ice off different types of passes," he said. "They weren't always in his wheelhouse and he would have to maneuver around and find the best opportunity to make a play or take the shot. He made himself into the goal scorer he is today through a lot of very hard work."

Kuffner in Town, Hirose Expected Tomorrow [HockeyBuzz]

The first of the Detroit Red Wings two college free agents took his first turns at Little Caesars Arena on Thursday. Left-winger Ryan Kuffner took part in the morning skate for Detroit’s home game against the Tampa Bay Lightning and he was suitably impressed.

“The Detroit Red Wings are the most storied franchise, and so you hear a ton about them, even though I’m from Ottawa,” said Kuffner. He was assigned No. 56 and the locker next to the one currently set up to honor the memory of Red Wings legend Ted Lindsay, who died last week.

“It’s an honor to see these names in the same room as me. “It’s crazy the history that’s behind it. It’s awesome to be able to soak it in and a honor to be part of this organization.”

When he and left-winger Taro Hirose, who also signed with the team on Tuesday, will officially become part of the tradition and suit up for a game is anyone’s guess.

“A few practices and then we’ll see,” Detroit coach Jeff Blashill said. “I think it would be more likely next week than Saturday but let’s wait and see what happens tonight.”