• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Looks like we have a goalie next year

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Looks like Holland wasting money again. Well, this means another lottery pick in 2020. 

Wasting money? We need a stop-gap goalie while we're waiting on one of the kids to emerge. Howard is the perfect candidate. What do you think Holland should do?

I miss the days when this team would change goalies every two years.  Now we get stuck with Mr. Average just because we haven't developed anyone else for the last 10 years.  Mrazek showed some promise but look how that turned out.  

And don't tell me we needed a top 5 pick all these years to find a decent starter.  Other teams are developing goalies out of their asses.  

Just now, GMRwings1983 said:

I miss the days when this team would change goalies every two years.  Now we get stuck with Mr. Average just because we haven't developed anyone else for the last 10 years.  Mrazek showed some promise but look how that turned out.  

And don't tell me we needed a top 5 pick all these years to find a decent starter.  Other teams are developing goalies out of their asses.  

We need to hire one of those other teams' asses.  In the meantime, signing Howard seems like a good decision.  1 year contract seems like an even better decision.

1 minute ago, barabbas16 said:

We need to hire one of those other teams' asses.  In the meantime, signing Howard seems like a good decision.  1 year contract seems like an even better decision.

It's a good deal for only one season.  I just don't understand how you can go 10 years without finding any real depth at this position in today's NHL.  What is this organization's plan next offseason?  Do they have a goalie in the system who's ready to start in 2021?  

4 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

It's a good deal for only one season.  I just don't understand how you can go 10 years without finding any real depth at this position in today's NHL.  What is this organization's plan next offseason?  Do they have a goalie in the system who's ready to start in 2021?  

Until Larsson is ready, Howard will get paid to play 50, Bernier to play 32.  When Bernier is up, we will replace him with Larsson, and Howard will move to back up.  Petruzzelli will step in for Howard in 3-4 years at back up.  Larsson/Petruzzelli is our plan for 2022-23 as of now.

3 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Its so hard to tell when it comes to goalies, the 3 main goalies in the system are Rybar, Fulcher, and Petruzzelli. Personally I have always been high on Petruzzelli, in 2017 many were calling him the steal of the draft. Rybar is playing great in GR this season, came into the year as the backup and has outplayed Sateri, pretty sure he is now the starter. Not too sure about Kaden Fulcher, I dont really follow the ECHL that closely, his stats look poor, but I dont know what is good for that league. My guess is that Rybar gets a look next year, and gets a chance full time with the Wings in 20/21.

Overall I love the signing, 1 year 4 mil is perfect for a goalie like Howard. Really wish we didnt sign Bernier though.

4 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Until Larsson is ready, Howard will get paid to play 50, Bernier to play 32.  When Bernier is up, we will replace him with Larsson, and Howard will move to back up.  Petruzzelli will step in for Howard in 3-4 years at back up.  Larsson/Petruzzelli is our plan for 2022-23 as of now.

Isn't Larsson still playing in college hockey?  We may be stuck with Howard and his backup for a while.    

Any chance we can convince Hasek to make a fourth stint with the team?  

Edited by GMRwings1983

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Completely forgot about Filip Larsson! He seems to playing great in Denver this year. 

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

Its so hard to tell when it comes to goalies, the 3 main goalies in the system are Rybar, Fulcher, and Petruzzelli. Personally I have always been high on Petruzzelli, in 2017 many were calling him the steal of the draft. Rybar is playing great in GR this season, came into the year as the backup and has outplayed Sateri, pretty sure he is now the starter. Not too sure about Kaden Fulcher, I dont really follow the ECHL that closely, his stats look poor, but I dont know what is good for that league. My guess is that Rybar gets a look next year, and gets a chance full time with the Wings in 20/21.

Overall I love the signing, 1 year 4 mil is perfect for a goalie like Howard. Really wish we didnt sign Bernier though.

I'm high on Petruzzelli as well, but not so much on the other two you mentioned. Rybar was a great pickup, but he's already 25 years old. I don't expect much more out of him. I think at best he's is a mediocre NHL backup / AHL starter, or likely playing back over seas within a few years. Fulcher is still young and has room to grow, but I don't expect much out of him either.

The two top goaltenders in our system in my opinion are Larsson and Eliasson. Most fans have heard of and are high on Larsson, but Eliasson seems to be flying a little under everyone's radar. It's still really early to say what we have in any of these guys, but I think between Petruzzelli, Larsson and Eliasson, we have the goaltender of the future already in the system. Whether he's 3 years or 5 years away, that's the biggest question...

32 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Does kinda bug me, but, I mean, it's not like the Wings have ever been a goalie factory. When you say you miss the days of the Wings changing goalies every two years...there were a lot of free agent signings in there and a number of homegrown guys who didn't work out.

Anyway, I'm more than OK with this Howard deal. I was fully expecting it to be a two- or three-year thing.

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

I miss the days when the wings had a Hasek and Joseph tandem making 15+M only to start Legace in the playoffs. 

tsn

"It's home," Howard said of his desire to stay in Detroit.  

This season is Howard's 13th with Detroit. In 47 games (45 starts) this year, he has a save percentage of .907 and a goals-against average of 3.07. 

Howard said that with taking his age into account, he's open to going year-to-year with his contracts.

"It totally makes sense to me," Howard said of a one-year deal. "I'll turn 35 here in a week, and from there on out I'm fine with one-year contracts."

Lessons in rationale thought folks. 

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

There's nothing. Just a man with an opinion. Howard not worth re-signing. But if we aren't getting Hughes guess we can hope for Lafreniere. At least Holland won't be drafting for us in 2020. 

Who would you sign?

56 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I miss the days when the wings had a Hasek and Joseph tandem making 15+M only to start Legace in the playoffs. 

tsn

Lessons in rationale thought folks. 

I miss the days when we had Terry Sawchuk and Glenn Hall.  Thanks Kenny.    

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Who would you sign?

I heard Giguere wants to make a comeback.  Give him his old pads back and we're making the playoffs next season.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

26 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

There's nothing. Just a man with an opinion. Howard not worth re-signing. But if we aren't getting Hughes guess we can hope for Lafreniere. At least Holland won't be drafting for us in 2020. 

Is this also your opinion? 

3 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Goalie drafting and development just isnt a priority anymore. There are only a few elite guys anymore, but a lot of really good ones. That can be gotten via free agency.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Please explain how this is bad. We dont have a starting goalie without signing one. Howard on a short-term, cheap deal seems like a win. What am I missing?

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Goalie drafting and development just isnt a priority anymore. There are only a few elite guys anymore, but a lot of really good ones. That can be gotten via free agency.

Please explain how this is bad. We dont have a starting goalie without signing one. Howard on a short-term, cheap deal seems like a win. What am I missing?

A blinding anti-Jimmy bias