• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Looks like we have a goalie next year

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, DaWingsin071 said:

We could have had vasilevsky. Let that sink in. 

I've never understood this. Why is this even a thing? Because he was selected with the pick we traded away for Quincey? So what? There's no guarantee we would have taken Vasilevskiy with that pick. It's actually highly unlikely that we would have. We could have also had Matt Murray, Frederik Andersen or Connor Hellebuyck instead of Jake Paterson that same draft. Oh well...

I'm more disappointed that we missed three times on Kucherov the year before. We came up completely empty with the Jurco, Ouellet and Sproul picks. But literally no one, including the Lightning expected Kuch to be half the player he's become. 

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I've never understood this. Why is this even a thing? Because he was selected with the pick we traded away for Quincey? So what? There's no guarantee we would have taken Vasilevskiy with that pick. It's actually highly unlikely that we would have. We could have also had Matt Murray, Frederik Andersen or Connor Hellebuyck instead of Jake Paterson that same draft. Oh well...

I'm more disappointed that we missed three times on Kucherov the year before. We came up completely empty with the Jurco, Ouellet and Sproul picks. But literally no one, including the Lightning expected Kuch to be half the player he's become. 

I blame Jim Nill. Thank f*** that guy is gone. :lol:

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

You could say the same about the Wings drafting Lidstrom in the 3rd round, Datsyuk in the 6th round and Zetterberg in the 7th.  Detroit passed up on those guys many times before drafting them.  Detroit's scouts have always been lauded for seeing something in those guys to eventually give the GM a reason to pick them.   

Likewise, you have to give Tampa and Yzerman some credit for making good choices.  It's not just happenstance.  They also drafted Palat in the 7th round of that draft and he's a pretty good player.  Brayden Point was a 3rd round pick in another draft.  You also have to give the Wings scouts some grief for drafting players in that same draft as Kucherov and Palat, which all turned into melted butter.  

We probably would not have drafted Vasilevskiy in his draft year, because the Wings haven't drafted a top notch goalie since Osgood.  Holland wouldn't know a good goalie if one sat on his face.    

Edited by GMRwings1983

22 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

You could say the same about the Wings drafting Lidstrom in the 3rd round, Datsyuk in the 6th round and Zetterberg in the 7th.  Detroit passed up on those guys many times before drafting them. 

You have to give Tampa and Yzerman some credit for making good choices.  It's not just happenstance.  They also drafted Palat in the 7th round of that draft and he's a pretty good player.  You also have to give the Wings scouts some grief for drafting players in that draft that all turned into melted butter.  

We probably would not have drafted Vasilevskiy, because the Wings haven't drafted a top notch goalie since Osgood.  Holland wouldn't know a good goalie if one sat on his face.    

I'm not taking anything away from Tampa or anyone else. That wasn't the point of my post. Just that the draft is a bit of a crapshoot beyond the first few picks. 

Maybe our lack of high end goalie prospects is more to do with developing, rather than drafting the right players. Paterson was one of the most highly regarded goaltenders in that draft. He didn't amount to s***. Mrazek was expected to be a stud. He was hot and cold before basically being dumped. Since leaving it's been much of the same, but he seems to finally be turning it around, having a better year than All-Star Jimmy Howard.

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

A blinding anti-Jimmy bias

Yes. Never liked him never will. Do not want him on The Wings. Nothing will change.

It is my opinion Holland won't be drafting for us, based on the fact his contract is up. But they could do something stupid and re-sign him. Just like Howard and just as stupid as the talk of signing Blashill. With Howard you won't see the playoffs, with Blashill you'll be stuck with Helm, Abby and Glendening in the top 6. ALL of that is the fault of Holland. 

Again, yes, I feel it's a waste of money because I don't like him and think he is horrible. Rather roll with a kid making league minimum. 

57 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

You could say the same about the Wings drafting Lidstrom in the 3rd round, Datsyuk in the 6th round and Zetterberg in the 7th.  Detroit passed up on those guys many times before drafting them.  Detroit's scouts have always been lauded for seeing something in those guys to eventually give the GM a reason to pick them.   

Likewise, you have to give Tampa and Yzerman some credit for making good choices.  It's not just happenstance.  They also drafted Palat in the 7th round of that draft and he's a pretty good player.  Brayden Point was a 3rd round pick in another draft.  You also have to give the Wings scouts some grief for drafting players in that same draft as Kucherov and Palat, which all turned into melted butter.  

We probably would not have drafted Vasilevskiy in his draft year, because the Wings haven't drafted a top notch goalie since Osgood.  Holland wouldn't know a good goalie if one sat on his face.    

Does that mean my wife is a good goalie?

17 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Yes. Never liked him never will. Do not want him on The Wings. Nothing will change.

It is my opinion Holland won't be drafting for us, based on the fact his contract is up. But they could do something stupid and re-sign him. Just like Howard and just as stupid as the talk of signing Blashill. With Howard you won't see the playoffs, with Blashill you'll be stuck with Helm, Abby and Glendening in the top 6. ALL of that is the fault of Holland. 

Again, yes, I feel it's a waste of money because I don't like him and think he is horrible. Rather roll with a kid making league minimum. 

What difference dies it make tho? Its a one yr deal and we arent making the playoffs next season. His contract isnt hurting the team at all in cap terms, so how is it a waste of money? The Wings had no starting goalie for next season and they just signed a 2 time NHL All Star veteran goaltender to a 1 year deal at 4 mil. With no NTC. I just cant find anyway to hate this deal unless u just hate Howard and that's your only reason.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Completely agree. Had we kept the pick that year, the more realistic pick would have been Olli Maatta anyways. Wings weren't taking a goaltender with Jimmy being in his 20's at that point.

9 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Jimmy must know something we don't.

It's probably safe to assume we're getting Hughes, Panarin, Duchene, and Trouba.

Holland is just trolling the fanbase with this "playoff" incentive.  He knows this team isn't making the playoffs with Howard and Blashill coming back.  They'll be lucky to acquire any of the players you listed.  

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Which is ironic.

latest?cb=20101120050307

Just now, GMRwings1983 said:

Holland is just trolling the fanbase with this "playoff" incentive.  He knows this team isn't making the playoffs with Howard and Blashill coming back.  They'll be lucky to acquire any of the players you listed.  

Yzerman is going to ride in on his magical unicorn and save the day. It has been foretold.

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Howard for one year at $4M is an absolute steal. I'd be okay with a 2-3 year contract, but 1 year gives them even more flexibility going forward.

Yep, nothing wrong with this at all. Howard said wants one year deals from here on out, being 35 years old. His deal has no trade clauses either, so if they want to move him at the deadline next season, no obstacles.

3 hours ago, DaWingsin071 said:

We could have had vasilevsky. Let that sink in. 

Could have. But Vas could have just as easily been as much of a bust as he is a star. Never guarantees in drafting goalies. Seems more late rounders become elite than early rounders. Not as much immediate pressure, and time to develop, perhaps? You do have first rounders like Fleury, Price, and Vas that lived up to their potential, and ones that def didn't, like Al Montoya (6th overall), Brent Krahn (8th), Brian Finley (6th), Chet Pickerd (18th)