• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Blashill expected back next season...

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Here's a fun thought, Babcock and Dubas are feuding (surprise surprise).  If Mike gets fired, how many people want him back?

Raises hand

Babcock is a maniac. Holland has been the only GM with enough tact to have any sort of lasting, successful relationship with him. Dubas is such a noob.  

He and Yzerman also have a positive thing. Just sayin

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

It's no secret that I think Mike Babcock absolutely sucks, but beyond that, one would have to think that maybe he's out of touch with modern hockey if he can't win with that roster?  I mean, isn't his hallmark that he wins big games when his team is heads and tails better than their competition?

30 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

It's no secret that I think Mike Babcock absolutely sucks, but beyond that, one would have to think that maybe he's out of touch with modern hockey if he can't win with that roster?  I mean, isn't his hallmark that he wins big games when his team is heads and tails better than their competition?

I think I need someone to define "modern hockey" 

Because right now, the gold standard is just a stacked team in Tampa (by any era's metrics) and then you have the last bunch of cup winners who all check most of the playoff trope boxes. 

So what is the secret? What is Babcock out of touch with? 

Serious question....

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

25 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I think I need someone to define "modern hockey" 

Because right now, the gold standard is just a stacked in Tampa (by any era's metrics) and then you have the last bunch of cup winners who all check most of the playoff trope boxes. 

So what is the secret? What is Babcock out of touch with? 

Serious question....

Well he's insinuated that the Maples Leafs aren't deep enough to overcome injuries to Jake Gardiner and (rookie) Travis Dermott even though Morgan Reilly is having a Norris caliber season and Dubas traded for Jake Muzzin at the deadline.  Speaking of Muzzin, despite already being a top pairing defenseman on a Stanley Cup winning team Uncle Mike is currently playing him less than Nikita Zaitsev and Ron Hainsey. But don't think his idiotic usage extends only to defensemen. Zach Hyman is getting more icetime than all of William Nylander, Patrick Marleau, Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson, and Nazim Kadri even though all of them are significantly more productive forwards by most objective measures.  Then there's the more general stuff like his constant line juggling and giving guys icetime because they work hard despite their skill level (I call this the Dan Cleary treatment). 

Also, I'm not sure that I'd call Tampa the gold standard.  They've been stacked for a number of years now and can't get over the hump.  At some point you're supposed to win with your superstar team.  I'm genuinely not sure they'll beat Washington this year. To me they're still too little and don't score enough in the trenches. They should have traded for Wayne Simmonds or Brian Boyle or someone. They remind me of the 95 Wings.

Edited by kipwinger

In today's sports world, missing the playoffs three years in a row should result in automatic termination.  This franchise has no accountability anymore.  His line combos and obsession with some of the grunts on this team is annoying.    

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I'm actually pretty happy with this.  I've liked how good the kids have developed, how fast we play, and how competitive we are each night.  I'd love to see what Blash will do with a decent roster. 

You'll get your wish in 2022.  

3 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

In today's sports world, missing the playoffs three years in a row should result in automatic termination.  This franchise has no accountability anymore.  His line combos and obsession with some of the grunts on this team is annoying.    

Na, we're going to be awesome in two years.  Count it.  Kids continue to develop in a system they know and have bought into.  Old, useless veterans are phased out and more young talent is brought up.  And we nab some high end draft picks this year and next.

Next year we surprise people and almost make the playoffs.  UFA's see we're a team in the rise and sign up in the offseason.  The following year we're in contention. 

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I'm actually pretty happy with this.  I've liked how good the kids have developed, how fast we play, and how competitive we are each night.  I'd love to see what Blash will do with a decent roster. 

Do you also like being a bottom 5 team? Someone needs to be held responsible for the status of the franchise. 

Edited by kylee

9 minutes ago, kylee said:

Do you also like being a bottom 5 team?

For the moment, yes. 

Also, ascribing our current bottom five status to Blashill's coaching completely ignores the long downward trajectory we've been on since about 2013.  Tends to happen when your players get older and you don't have many 1st round picks. 

But that's seeing the forest AND the trees, someone most fans (including you apparently) aren't capable of. 

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I like Blash.

I'm still up in the air about him, but I'm not ready to condemn a guy based on poor performance when he's had a league worst defense, league worst center depth, and few quality prime age players since his tenure began. 

If I wanted a guy who loses with superstar level talent I'd hire Mike Babcock.

6 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

For the moment, yes. 

Also, ascribing our current bottom five status to Blashill's coaching completely ignores the long downward trajectory we've been on since about 2013.  Tends to happen when your players get older and you don't have many 1st round picks. 

But that's seeing the forest AND the trees, someone most fans (including you apparently) aren't capable of. 

I'm still up in the air about him, but I'm not ready to condemn a guy based on poor performance when he's had a league worst defense, league worst center depth, and few quality prime age players since his tenure began. 

If I wanted a guy who loses with superstar level talent I'd hire Mike Babcock.

Exactly.  He can't bench 5 crappy Holland signings.  He has to play. Who he is given.  

4 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Exactly.  He can't bench 5 crappy Holland signings.  He has to play. Who he is given.  

Seriously, Mike Babcock is complaining his team isn't "deep enough" because one of his two 50 point defensemen from the last two years is hurt and all Kyle Dubas did was go out and get a top pair defenseman from a Stanley Cup winning team to augment their depth. 

Try winning games with Trevor Daley the ghost of Niklas Kronwall you f*cking pu**y. 

12 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

If you are in "win now" mode, sure. When you are a re-building team, to blindly fire a coach simply based on the playoffs is just silly. 

For the record, I'm not even saying that I want Blashill, truly I'm undecided, but making/not making the playoffs has nothing to do with it. 

10 hours ago, kylee said:

Do you also like being a bottom 5 team? Someone needs to be held responsible for the status of the franchise. 

I dont think many fans mind this. What most fans hate is mediocrity and being stuck in the 15th - 20th best range. At least as a bottom 5 team we will land some building blocks.

Big named coaches probably won't want to come here for another couple years anyway. Keeping Blash probably makes the most sense.

19 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Here's a fun thought, Babcock and Dubas are feuding (surprise surprise).  If Mike gets fired, how many people want him back?

I'm not surprised, Dubass ;) screwed the long term Leafs future signing Tavares.

53 minutes ago, Barrie said:

Big named coaches probably won't want to come here for another couple years anyway. Keeping Blash probably makes the most sense.

I'm not surprised, Dubass ;) screwed the long term Leafs future signing Tavares.

How's that now?

4 minutes ago, Barrie said:

Tavares contract upped the value on Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. Marner is going to ask for $12 Million now. How can the Leafs make that happen?

Marner is an RFA, he can ask for whatever he wants, he can even sit out for a portion of the season (ask Nylander).  Nevertheless, he's not getting 12 million dollars.  So I don't think it's that big a concern.