• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

3/21 Maybe the Real Kakko Was the Friends We Made Along the Way GDT - Red Wings @ Blues - 8:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

It's hard to lose every game, but that win against the Islanders may come back to hurt Detroit.

Also, I wonder if Tampa will rest some players or chase team records.  I can't remember the last time a team had 21 more points than any other team in the league at this stage of the season.  They're also in line to finish with the most points and wins in league history.  Asterisk of course because of overtimes and shootouts, but still impressive.    

17 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

It's hard to lose every game, but that win against the Islanders -- (and the Rangers) -- may come back to hurt Detroit.

Also, I wonder if Tampa will rest some players or chase team records.  I can't remember the last time a team had 21 more points than any other team in the league at this stage of the season.  They're also in line to finish with the most points and wins in league history.  Asterisk of course because of overtimes and shootouts, but still impressive.    

Yup.The drum I'm banging.

Get's U this tho

>Be Wings
>Lose a f***-ton of games
>21 ROW
>Win a couple games, barely
>sO yOu'Re cOoL wItH dRaFtInG 6tH?

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

14 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

It's hard to lose every game, but that win against the Islanders may come back to hurt Detroit.

I'm feeling pretty good about our schedule; it's pretty rough. The two games against Buffalo is what concerns me. And the NJ game.

If Tampa doesn't win it this season...oof. Or maybe this is their equivalent of the Wings' 1995-96 season and next season is when they finally get it done.

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Get's U this tho

Deserved.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yup.The drum I'm banging.

Get's U this tho

The Rangers win was surprising as the Wings hardly ever win in New York.  However, they're not a good team.  It's hard to tank when the other team isn't trying to win either.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I'm feeling pretty good about our schedule; it's pretty rough. The two games against Buffalo is what concerns me. And the NJ game.

If Tampa doesn't win it this season...oof. Or maybe this is their equivalent of the Wings' 1995-96 season and next season is when they finally get it done.

Deserved.

Tampa has been a contender longer than Detroit was before winning their first Cup in the 1990's.  The Wings were a contender in 1994, 1995, and 1996.  Tampa made the Finals four years ago.  Even 8 or 9 years ago they were a contender.  They're the San Hosay of the Eastern Conference.  Thankfully, Detroit didn't have to put up with the choker label for that long.    

I actually don't think they'll win the Cup.  I don't trust Vasilevskiy in the playoffs.  Like other Russian goalies, he seems to choke in the biggest moments.  In fairness, Tampa did win a Cup with Khabibulin, but that was the only time I remember a Russian goalie having a good playoff.  However, Nabokov, Bryzgalov, and Bobrovsky have ruined it for the others after that.  Even Vasilevskiy was shaky in the Washington series last year and gave up a back breaker to Ovechkin at the beginning of that game 7.  That goal took the air out of the building.    

Edited by GMRwings1983

Just now, GMRwings1983 said:

The Rangers win was surprising as the Wings hardly ever win in New York.  However, they're not a good team either.  It's hard to tank when the other team isn't trying to win either.

Honestly, I had a feeling we were going to win both games. I think the only thing that irked me about the wins is that, for me, they felt like totally hollow victories. Not because of the tank (though, I guess that's part of it) but because it felt like our opponents were only half-interested in actually winning. We gave them every opportunity to win and they said nah. Assholes.

8 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Tampa has been a contender longer than Detroit was before winning their first Cup in the 1990's.  The Wings were a contender in 1994, 1995, and 1996.  Tampa made the Finals four years ago.  Even 8 or 9 years ago they were a contender.  They're the San Hosay of the Eastern Conference.  Thankfully, Detroit didn't have to put up with the choker label for that long.   

Right, I'm just saying this season has the makings of a 1995-96 choke job. That Wings team was unstoppable in the regular season, had everything going for it. This Bolts team feels similar, at least superficially. Everything points to them winning the Cup this season, which makes me think they're probably doomed. Because that's how it tends to work in the NHL. (F*** basketball.)

15 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

I actually don't think they'll win the Cup.  I don't trust Vasilevskiy in the playoffs.  Like other Russian goalies, he seems to choke in the biggest moments.  In fairness, Tampa did win a Cup with Khabibulin, but that was the only time I remember a Russian goalie having a good playoff.  However, Nabokov, Bryzgalov, and Bobrovsky have ruined it for the others after that.  Even Vasilevskiy was shaky in the Washington series last year and gave up a back breaker to Ovechkin at the beginning of that game 7.  That goal took the air out of the building.    

Hmm, that's an angle that I hadn't really considered. I guess one obvious counterargument is that it's a small sample size. But you might be on to something.

How do you feel about the possibility of a 2004 SCF rematch?

45 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Honestly, I had a feeling we were going to win both games. I think the only thing that irked me about the wins is that, for me, they felt like totally hollow victories. Not because of the tank (though, I guess that's part of it) but because it felt like our opponents were only half-interested in actually winning. We gave them every opportunity to win and they said nah. Assholes.

Right, I'm just saying this season has the makings of a 1995-96 choke job. That Wings team was unstoppable in the regular season, had everything going for it. This Bolts team feels similar, at least superficially. Everything points to them winning the Cup this season, which makes me think they're probably doomed. Because that's how it tends to work in the NHL. (F*** basketball.)

Hmm, that's an angle that I hadn't really considered. I guess one obvious counterargument is that it's a small sample size. But you might be on to something.

How do you feel about the possibility of a 2004 SCF rematch?

Wouldn't bother me as much as 2004, seeing how Detroit isn't even in the playoff picture.  I have nothing against either franchise.  I want to see Yzerman win a Cup for his efforts as GM.  Also, I don't hate Calgary now that Iginla is no longer there.  Nobody thought they'd have the best record of any Canadian team at this point in the season. 

I have a feeling that Pittsburgh and Vegas play in the Finals, but it's too early to make formal predictions.    

7 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Wouldn't bother me as much as 2004, seeing how Detroit isn't even in the playoff picture.  I have nothing against either franchise.  I want to see Yzerman win a Cup for his efforts as GM.  Also, I don't hate Calgary now that Iginla is no longer there.  Nobody thought they'd have the best record of any Canadian team at this point in the season. 

I have a feeling that Pittsburgh and Vegas play in the Finals, but it's too early to make formal predictions.    

I'd like to see Vegas win it. They're the only non-Wings team that I don't really have a reason to hate.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'd like to see Vegas win it. They're the only non-Wings team that I don't really have a reason to hate.

Except for the fact that they've only been in the league for 2 years and they shouldn't get to win a cup until after they've gone thru a rebuild or expansion losing phase like everyone else.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

On 3/22/2019 at 10:30 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Except for the fact that they've only been in the league for 2 years and they shouldn't get to win a cup until after they've gone thru a rebuild or expansion losing phase like everyone else.

They built from scratch actually. 

Great game for Mantha. He needs to play with that sort of energy and jump every game.

Larkin's best game since the injury. Still doesn't seem 100% though.

Bertuzzi is a dog, and great complementary winger to any line. Really like that Bert - Larkin - Mantha line.

Athanasiou continues to impress. I just really wish he'd stop trying to go through defenders, and instead go around them (beat them wide). I can't count how many times he tries to split the D and immediately gets planted on his ass...

Hirose has been very impressive in his first three games, and seems to be gaining more confidence every game. Looks like he could be a middle six winger (Nyquist-lite).

I haven't been as impressed with Kuffner, but looks like he could be a solid bottom six, grinding winger. He's just a reminder that you should never give out long term, big money contracts to role players (Abdelkader).

We have way too many bottom six (4th line) forwards... There shouldn't be any more than three of Glendening, Abdelkader, Helm (4th line), Kuffner, Ehn (press box), de la Rose, Puempel (waived / Grand Rapids) on the team next season.

DeKeyser has been really impressive for the better part of this season. It would be nice if he were making a mil less, but he's a solid top 4 defenseman, which is all that should have ever been realistically expected of him.

Bowey has been playing better every game since we acquired him. Really like his game. Physical, great skater, can move the puck well, and isn't afraid to jump up in the play. If he can clean up some of those turnovers, he could be a top 4 defenseman, or at worst a very good bottom pair defenseman.

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So you're telling me that there are teams in the NHL who havent had to go thru a losing phase (either thru a rebuild or by being an expansion team) other than Vegas? Please enlighten me.

Edmonton Oilers. Made playoffs each of their first 13 years in NHL and won first cup during 5th year and then 4 more times. 

No losing phase at all before winning cup, no rebuild. 

Edited by kickazz

6 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

WHA

Doesn't matter, you asked NHL and I gave you an answer. And even if you want the WHA cop out. They made it to the playoffs 5 out of the 7 seasons they were in the WHA and the two they didn't make, their records were close to .500 (in fact one year above .500 and a winning season). 

So, never a "losing phase" for the Oilers between the WHA and NHL as they made playoffs 18 out of the 20 seasons in their existence and won championships 5 times. 

Edited by kickazz