• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kjw25

Buyout

Rate this topic

Is there any chance Red Wings will buyout Abby this off season? The amount of money he makes is absurd for his production. They bought out Weiss who was better than Abby, so any chance Abby will go?????

It's amazing that he has four years left on his contract and he's 32 and already sucks.  I'd buy out the GM who offered him that contract. 

As I've said before, I've been trying to trade him all year on NHL 19 and every team tells me something along the lines of "we're not interested in taking on Justin Abdelkader's contract".  Thanks Kenny.    

8 minutes ago, kjw25 said:

Is there any chance Red Wings will buyout Abby this off season? The amount of money he makes is absurd for his production. They bought out Weiss who was better than Abby, so any chance Abby will go?????

No, I highly doubt it. It doesn't really make sense to buy-out a player with 4 years remaining if you're not in desperate need for cap space. You don't want a but-out on the cap for 8 years. The only way I see Abdelkader ever being bought out is if in a couple years (in the final year or two of his contract), we're turning the corner to be a contender and need the cap space to sign a free agent.

I would buy-out the final year of Daley's contract though. He's been terrible and we need the roster spot.

The 1st million = for the 20 pts or so he contributes
The 2nd million = for the grit he provides, making the team harder to play against
The 3rd million = for his gumption and remaining intangibles that can't be quantified
The 4th million = for his leadership, which is why he has an A on his sweater

The remaining 250K is overpayment though yes, but it's not much

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

51 minutes ago, kjw25 said:

why "lock up" a grinder 3rd or 4th line player to begin with? 

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The 2nd million = for the grit he provides, making the team harder to play against
The 3rd million = for his gumption and remaining intangibles that can't be quantified

That 250K is for 'truculence'. 

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Zero chance he gets bought out for at least 2 more years,maybe 3 ... 8 year cap hit is way too long, and we can’t trade him for at least another year. We’re stuck with this ham

The 8 year max (7 years for UFA) will be a bone of contention in the next cba...I can see the BoG wanting both to be lowered by 2 years each.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

That 250K is for 'truculence'. 

The 8 year max (7 years for UFA) will be a bone of contention in the next cba...I can see the BoG wanting both to be lowered by 2 years each.

I have no problems with teams signing guys to 7-8 years , problem is on the teams not being able to contain themselves on who they should give those contracts to 

maybe if they limited teams to 2 guys per team who can have max deals maybe it would help teams from signing the schmaltz’s to longterm deals 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

6 hours ago, kjw25 said:

Your Abby hatred seems personal. And way over the top.

And no, it would be stupid to buy him out. As much as fans complain about his salary, no one associated with the organization seems to have a problem with it. He's well liked by management, coaches, and teammates. They won't buy him out even with a year left on his contract. He's a Wing for life. Sorry haters.

6 hours ago, kjw25 said:

Re-building teams don't buy players out unless they the player is going to cost them a valuable asset. If we buyout Abby after this season, we are dinged with a cap hit for the next 8 years. Having his cap hit now when we are not contenders has very low ramifications. Sure it may piss some fans off, but there are no real consequences. In 4 years from now if things go as planned, his cap hit could really hurt being on the books for another 4 years. Maybe you buy him out when he has a year or so left, but not now as the penalty is too harsh, and the reward is very small.

If they did not buy out Ericsson no way they will waste it on abby. He brings something to the team even though he is way over paid. He never was a goal scorer and since Holland over paid for him everyone expected him to be something he is not. I would buy out Nielsen's contract first.

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Wouldn't he be under paid than? Where the 5th million for being a local home town boy?

8 minutes ago, xault said:

Wouldn't he be under paid than? Where the 5th million for being a local home town boy?

Have you considered applying for a GM position? Because this comment just changed my entire perspective. Major paradigm shift moment.

"Abby is underpaid" How did I not see it before? You may be the chosen one the LGW gods foretold of.

ox5pkob6wm921.jpg

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Your Abby hatred seems personal. And way over the top.

And no, it would be stupid to buy him out. As much as fans complain about his salary, no one associated with the organization seems to have a problem with it. He's well liked by management, coaches, and teammates. They won't buy him out even with a year left on his contract. He's a Wing for life. Sorry haters.

A lot can change in the next three years. I'm not saying he will be bought out with a year left, but I wouldn't doubt it either. This team will be competitive by then, and cap space could be tight. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Abdelkader and / or Nielsen get bought out in the final year or two of their contracts. You also don't know what the management team will look like by then. It's very possible that Mr. Loyalty Holland could be gone in the next year or so.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

A lot can change in the next three years. I'm not saying he will be bought out with a year left, but I wouldn't doubt it either. This team will be competitive by then, and cap space could be tight. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Abdelkader and / or Nielsen get bought out in the final year or two of their contracts. You also don't know what the management team will look like by then. It's very possible that Mr. Loyalty Holland could be gone in the next year or so.

Nielsen? Possibly.

Abby? No. He wears an "A". And he wears it for a reason. Regardless of who the GM is, he's not getting bought out. In 4 years, with salary inflation, his contract wont be out of line with what 3rd liners make. No reason to buy him out then.

25 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nielsen? Possibly.

Abby? No. He wears an "A". And he wears it for a reason. Regardless of who the GM is, he's not getting bought out. In 4 years, with salary inflation, his contract wont be out of line with what 3rd liners make. No reason to buy him out then.

Yah, we've just won 6 of 7 without him.  No good reason to get him out of the line up.  

29 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nielsen? Possibly.

Abby? No. He wears an "A". And he wears it for a reason. Regardless of who the GM is, he's not getting bought out.

Nielsen wears an A as well. So what? There will be plenty of leaders in that dressing room in 2-3 years time. Abdelkader won't be needed for his "leadership"... Wearing an "A" shouldn't mean s***. If a player isn't performing, and is a hindrance to his team, the coach should scratch him. If that player that the coach is scratching is making a huge amount of money, the GM should buy him out. Simple as that.

Troy Brouwer is a very similar player (probably slightly better), same age, and was in a very similar situation in Calgary last year. He was one of the alternate captains playing in the bottom six, making way too much money ($4.5M). He was bought out with 2 years remaining on his contract. That's exactly what the Wings should look to do with Abdelkader in 2-3 years time. Brouwer signed a one year contract with Florida worth $850K. That's what players like he and Abby should be making...

46 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

In 4 years, with salary inflation, his contract wont be out of line with what 3rd liners make. No reason to buy him out then.

Sure. The problem is, Abdelkader is a 4th liner now, and probably won't even be that throughout the next 4 years...

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Nielsen wears an A as well. So what? There will be plenty of leaders in that dressing room in 2-3 years time. Abdelkader won't be needed for his "leadership"... Wearing an "A" shouldn't mean s***. If a player isn't performing, and is a hindrance to his team, the coach should scratch him. If that player that the coach is scratching is making a huge amount of money, the GM should buy him out. Simple as that.

Troy Brouwer is a very similar player (probably slightly better), same age, and was in a very similar situation in Calgary last year. He was one of the alternate captains playing in the bottom six, making way too much money ($4.5M). He was bought out with 2 years remaining on his contract. That's exactly what the Wings should look to do with Abdelkader in 2-3 years time. Brouwer signed a one year contract with Florida worth $850K. That's what players like he and Abby should be making...

Sure. The problem is, Abdelkader is a 4th liner now, and probably won't even be that throughout the next 4 years...

Would be nice if there was a buyout provision that allowed for expedition if the team has the cap space.  For example, if the Wings have 17 million of cap space in 2019-20, would be cool if they could elect to use it to buy out Abdelkader in one shot and have nothing remaining going forward.  I'm of the opinion that as long as they don't re-sign any of the players over 25, they can just ride out their contracts without too much hub bub.  But would be nice to have options.

49 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Would be nice if there was a buyout provision that allowed for expedition if the team has the cap space.  For example, if the Wings have 17 million of cap space in 2019-20, would be cool if they could elect to use it to buy out Abdelkader in one shot and have nothing remaining going forward.  I'm of the opinion that as long as they don't re-sign any of the players over 25, they can just ride out their contracts without too much hub bub.  But would be nice to have options.

Actually not a bad idea. That would be a pretty decent loophole for some rebuilding teams to take advantage of. I really don't like that buy-outs have to be paid out over double the years remaining on the contract. Ideally, there will be another compliance / amnesty buyout given to each team after the next lockout. I hope there isn't another lockout, but at this point, I think it's inevitable...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Actually not a bad idea. That would be a pretty decent loophole for some rebuilding teams to take advantage of. I really don't like that buy-outs have to be paid out over double the years remaining on the contract. Ideally, there will be another compliance / amnesty buyout given to each team after the next lockout. I hope there isn't another lockout, but at this point, I think it's inevitable...

Pretty much I'm expecting to use a free compliance buyout on one of Abby or Nielsen

Crazy that Ericsson's contract is no longer the one under scrutiny lol

19 hours ago, kjw25 said:

Is there any chance Red Wings will buyout Abby this off season?

No.

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Pretty much I'm expecting to use a free compliance buyout on one of Abby or Nielsen

I believe Nielsen's contract will be over by then (2022) and Abby will have one year left. Just noting for the record. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

13 minutes ago, Dabura said:

No.

I believe Nielsen's contract will be over by then (2022) and Abby will have one year left. Just noting for the record. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Wait doesn't the CBA expire in 2020 season. I thought that was why they moved my hometown Seattle boys opening season to 2021?