• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

4/9 2019 Draft Lottery GDT - Red Wings vs The World - 8:00 PM ET (NBCSN)

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

My concern as well. A bubble team in rebuild could just tank until they were eliminated and then start winning to get the 1st overall.

This is such a dumb argument in my opinion.

If a team could just "then start winning", why not skip the "just tank until they were eliminated" part, and "start winning"?...

No bubble team is going to say, "F*** making the playoffs... We're going for that high pick"...

6th overall again, hmmm? Finished 4th from the bottom after going on a 6 game win streak at the end of the season, clearly not TRYING to tank. Chicago steals 3rd overall after finishing 12th from the bottom, just missing the playoffs? I agree fully with Burke, for once. Lottery for first overall should be limited to the bottom 5. It is what it is right now, but franchise owners and management need to start complaining about that s***, and demand a solution. Hell, they should have when Edmonton got the three firsts in four years.

What is the argument against a simple system where the order of picks are determined by standings and repeat top 3 or five selections (or whichever seems most appropriate) are forbidden?

I can appreciate the efforts for parity, but true parity would be every team winning once across a 31 year cycle.  The more an outcome is controlled the more likely it will converge with knowledge of the outcome.  

The individual and collective profit incentives appear at odds.  

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

This is such a dumb argument in my opinion.

If a team could just "then start winning", why not skip the "just tank until they were eliminated" part, and "start winning"?...

No bubble team is going to say, "F*** making the playoffs... We're going for that high pick"...

Dumb? Really? If you were a low end playoff team ( no real shot at the cup) and you could draft the next Mario Lemieux, you wouldn't consider phoning it in for most of the season in order to draft him and make yourself an instant contender?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Dumb? Really? If you were a low end playoff team ( no real shot at the cup) and you could draft the next Mario Lemieux, you wouldn't consider phoning it in for most of the season in order to draft him?

2015 was the last draft that had a true generational talent. Boston and Los Angeles were bubble teams that didn't make the playoffs. They didn't tank to have a 20% chance to draft Connor McDavid. What makes you think they would "strategically" tank early, only to turn it on once they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? Better question, what makes you think that strategy would even work?

There would still be no guarantee they'd get the player. They'd still have to win the majority of their games down the stretch. At least the "Gold Plan" promotes winning, rather than the current bulls*** system...

So, to answer your question, no, I don't think any teams (owners, general managers, coaches, players) would consider phoning it in for most of the season, to hope to be able to turn it on, and win enough games later in the season...

My point is that any system has flaws and can be exploited and/or have unintended results. Anomalous? Yes. But the possibility is always there. I've heard several proposals that have elements I like, but in the end the only truly fair and bulletproof way to do it is to give all 31/32 teams one ball in the caddy and let chance determine the winner. It will never happen because there will be results people hate (although fair) thus making it too unpopular to implement.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I doubt most would ever phone it in. Players, coaches, and managers. Cause ya know, getting fired sux

Then why have a lottery in the first place and just adopt the NFL model?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

10 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

My point is that any system has flaws and can be exploited and/or have unintended results. Anomalous? Yes. But the possibility is always there. I've heard several proposals that have elements I like, but in the end the only truly fair and bulletproof way to do it is to give all 31/32 teams one ball in the caddy and let chance determine the winner. It will never happen because there will be results people hate (although fair) thus making it too unpopular to implement.

Prevent completely tanking. I feel like most managers at least try to get there team on track in the offseason until around Christmas. Then ya know, the selling begins.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

hahahhahahahhaaha finished 4 and get 2 spots worse f*** this

this team is f***ed for years..ill tune in for the season opener to see if we made any worthwhile moves if not im done watching hockey. not interested in any other teams. not interested in watching the wings lose 3 times the amount of games they win.

Edited by brett

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yeah, I'm sure you could find flaws in any system. However, some systems are more flawed than others. In my opinion, the "Gold Plan" makes the most sense / has the least flaws. That's MY point...

In what world is giving every team one lottery ball the most fair way to do it? That makes no sense... In 50 years you would likely have some teams that have not won it once, and others that have won it multiple times...

15 minutes ago, brett said:

this team is f***ed for years..ill tune in for the season opener to see if we made any worthwhile moves if not im done watching hockey. not interested in any other teams. not interested in watching the wings lose 3 times the amount of games they win.

lol

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I'm sure you could find flaws in any system. However, some systems are more flawed than others. In my opinion, the "Gold Plan" makes the most sense / has the least flaws. That's MY point...

In what world is giving every team one lottery ball the most fair way to do it? That makes no sense... In 50 years you would likely have some teams that have not won it once, and others that have won it multiple times...

Because youre leaving the whole thing to chance. No advantages, no favorites. Everyone has an equal chance. No reason to tank. No rewarding of success or failure.

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Because youre leaving the whole thing to chance. No advantages, no favorites. Everyone has an equal chance. No reason to tank. No rewarding of success or failure.

Which defeats the whole purpose of "parity". You want the bad teams to have an advantage in hopes that they will eventually get better. Of course bad management sometimes trumps the addition of great players, but that's on the organization to fix, not the league.

Anyway, I hate the lottery. Always have. Something needs to change, and I think it will in the next CBA. I'd like to see some sort of variation of the "Gold Plan" implemented. We'll see...

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Which defeats the whole purpose of "parity". You want the bad teams to have an advantage in hopes that they will eventually get better. Of course bad management sometimes trumps the addition of great players, but that's on the organization to fix, not the league.

Anyway, I hate the lottery. Always have. Something needs to change, and I think it will in the next CBA. I'd like to see some sort of variation of the "Gold Plan" implemented. We'll see...

Exactly. Parity = flawed system. 

On 4/11/2019 at 8:29 PM, brett said:

A little over the top there Betty. 

Anyways bye. We dont need "fans" like you. See you when were good again lol