• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Happy with 6th Pick?

Rate this topic

Are you happy with the 6th pick or are you a big dorky baby?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Truth be told I voted 'BIG DORKY BABY'.

Would've been nice had the Gods from above graced us with a top 2 pick, but as I mentioned in another thread - it's well beyond our control, and getting a 6th overall pick will likely see a few gems available that could turn into 'All-Star' calibre talent.

I’m more pissed that a team like Chicago could jump as high as they did and come out ahead of us and other clearly more needy teams. That to me is evidence of a broken system. I think the draft lottery or whatever system should be limited to the bottom 8 teams. Playoff bubble teams that were a few wins out of a playoff spot shouldn’t be picking 3rd.

We didn't get lucky in the draft lottery. However, there will be top-end talent available at 6. The question is, will we be lucky enough to pick one of them?...

Top players that were available at 6 over the past 10 years (too early to tell on the last two drafts)...

2009 - Ekman-Larsson (6th)
2010 - Skinner (7th), Tarasenko (16th)
2011 - Scheifele (7th), Hamilton (9th), *Kucherov (58th)*
2012 - Forsberg (11th)
2013 - Monahan (6th)
2014 - Larkin (15th), Pastrnak (25th)
2015 - Werenski (8th), Rantanen (10th), Barzal (16th), Chabot (18th), Boeser (23rd), Aho (35th)
2016 - Tkatchuk (6th), Keller (7th), Sergachev (9th), McAvoy (14th), DeBrincat (39th)

Some players / years obviously better than others, but there is always top-end talent available this high in the draft. And this seems like it could be another really deep draft, similar to the 2015 draft.

I think a Scheifele (Cozens) or Werenski (Byram) caliber player could be available this year at 6. I'm pretty amped to add another big piece to the puzzle.

More disappointed in dropping vs going up had we remained at 4 I would have been okay. Still shaking my head over Chicago's leap of 12. Happier to see Avs drop just hate seeing someone get rewarded off another's effort. Was it just me or did Sakic look like he hadn't slept in months?

32 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

We didn't get lucky in the draft lottery. However, there will be top-end talent available at 6. The question is, will we be lucky enough to pick one of them?...

Top players that were available at 6 over the past 10 years (too early to tell on the last two drafts)...

2009 - Ekman-Larsson (6th)
2010 - Skinner (7th), Tarasenko (16th)
2011 - Scheifele (7th), Hamilton (9th), *Kucherov (58th)*
2012 - Forsberg (11th)
2013 - Monahan (6th)
2014 - Larkin (15th), Pastrnak (25th)
2015 - Werenski (8th), Rantanen (10th), Barzal (16th), Chabot (18th), Boeser (23rd), Aho (35th)
2016 - Tkatchuk (6th), Keller (7th), Sergachev (9th), McAvoy (14th), DeBrincat (39th)

Some players / years obviously better than others, but there is always top-end talent available this high in the draft. And this seems like it could be another really deep draft, similar to the 2015 draft.

I think a Scheifele (Cozens) or Werenski (Byram) caliber player could be available this year at 6. I'm pretty amped to add another big piece to the puzzle.

Scheifele is a center and most experts project Cozens to the wing. Cozens ceiling is Scheifele and floor Virtanen. 

10 hours ago, xault said:

I am pissed that CHI won the 3rd overall pick. Wings picking 6th and falling again sucks as well. 

Just just bummed out on the season in general. The lottery is the cherry on top the cake.

I hope Chicago drafts Podkolzin and he stays in the KHL his entire playing career. 

Would also settle for this happening to Colorado :P

7 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Scheifele is a center and most experts project Cozens to the wing. Cozens ceiling is Scheifele and floor Virtanen. 

Cozens can play on the wing, as he did most of his rookie season in Lethbridge. However, he has played center pretty well all of this season, so I'm not sure who is projecting him to the wing...

Regardless, it will be up to whichever team drafts him to determine where he is best suited. If the Wings do end up drafting him, I'd be completely fine with him developing into a winger. We have Larkin as our 1C and one of Veleno or Athanasiou as our 2C going forward. With Zadina, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen and Cozens as winger options, that could be a lethal top 6 in a few years...

59 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Cozens can play on the wing, as he did most of his rookie season in Lethbridge. However, he has played center pretty well all of this season, so I'm not sure who is projecting him to the wing...

Regardless, it will be up to whichever team drafts him to determine where he is best suited. If the Wings do end up drafting him, I'd be completely fine with him developing into a winger. We have Larkin as our 1C and one of Veleno or Athanasiou as our 2C going forward. With Zadina, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen and Cozens as winger options, that could be a lethal top 6 in a few years...

You all know my thoughts on AA as #2C. It would be great if Veleno can get there. 

Normally I'm 100% BPA, but  I think we need to take the best play-making center that's available. If Dach's game compares to Thorton then he could be our guy. Or Zegras. I'd be "fine" with Turcotte or Cozens as well I just think this team lack elite playmakers. 

Or, if Byram's still there, take him. 

40 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You all know my thoughts on AA as #2C. It would be great if Veleno can get there. 

Normally I'm 100% BPA, but  I think we need to take the best play-making center that's available. If Dach's game compares to Thorton then he could be our guy. Or Zegras. I'd be "fine" with Turcotte or Cozens as well I just think this team lack elite playmakers. 

Or, if Byram's still there, take him. 

Thats what I love about Zegras game. His playmaking is as good as Hughes, but he may take a little while longer to develop than a guy like Turcotte. The wings want a guy who can be on the team quickly vs 2 or 3 years unless it’s Podkolzin. I’m lukewarm on Podkolzin but the wings brass think he is as good a prospect as Hughes/Kakko. I’m concerned about the Russia rumors, along with the push by ownership to keep him there so that taints him for me.  I wouldn’t risk it when the team is only a couple prospects away from really competing in a few years.

44 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Thats what I love about Zegras game. His playmaking is as good as Hughes, but he may take a little while longer to develop than a guy like Turcotte. The wings want a guy who can be on the team quickly vs 2 or 3 years unless it’s Podkolzin. I’m lukewarm on Podkolzin but the wings brass think he is as good a prospect as Hughes/Kakko. I’m concerned about the Russia rumors, along with the push by ownership to keep him there so that taints him for me.  I wouldn’t risk it when the team is only a couple prospects away from really competing in a few years.

Where did you see this? 

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Where did you see this? 

Ken Holland was on 97.1 the ticket and said he doesn’t view it as a top two but a top 3 with Podkolzin. Draper, while interviewed on FSN-D, parroted what Holland said and claimed those 3 have separated themselves from the pack. Do I think they would draft Podkolzin over Hughes, no I don’t. 

1 minute ago, Akakabuto said:

If Byram is still there at 6, would you trade that pick for Trouba?

An agreement with Trouba have to be in place beforehand of course. 

I wouldn't...by the time they're ready to compete he'll be close to 30 or more

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Beverley Hills = Beverley Hills

Cop < Ninja

Easy math fren

1. There are cops in Beverly Hills, there aren't any Ninjas.

2. Detective Axel Foley was actually a member of the Detroit Police Dept, not Beverly Hills.

3. Beverly Hills Cop spawned 2 sequels. BHN? No.

4. It's spelled. B-e-v-e-r-l-y Hills.

5. Beverly Hills Ninja > Beverly Hills 90210. Can we agree on that?

On 4/9/2019 at 11:06 PM, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

If we weren't getting a top 2 I honestly didn't really care, I'll be pleased with any number of the guys who will be available at 6. 

I'm bitter as s*** that Chicago jumped 9 ******* spots, f*** them. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This.

expected a 4th or better. i dont think you should be allowed to get a worse pick. only better. would never work but yea. really should NOT be a freaking lotto and you get whatever pick you finish

with a 6th round pick we will get another non roster player. non impact player. a 4th liner 3rd liner at best. top 7 dman or bottom pairing d

Edited by brett