• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

TB vs CBJ - Series Thread

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Tretiak?

Never played an NHL game.  He's one of the best ever and I have no doubt he'd have a great NHL career if he was allowed to.    

I'm looking at Nabokov, Bryzgalov, Vasileveskiy, and Bobrovsky.  Vasilevskiy has the smallest sample size, but he didn't impress me in the Washington series last year in the clutch moments.  The other three players on this list are notorious playoff chokers.  These are the four best Russian goalies in the league over the last 15 years.  Nabokov is from Kazakhstan but chose to represent Russia for most of his international career. 

The other guy who should be noted is Varlamov.  While he wasn't a great goalie, remember his meltdown against Pittsburgh in game 7 in 2009.  He had a good run for a while but that was a stain on his career.    

The only Russian goalie with success in the playoffs would be Khabibulin.  That was based off one long playoff run, though.  The Coyotes teams were never that well rounded but that Tampa team in 2004 was strong.  They won the Cup.  Irbe wasn't Russian but close enough as Latvia is a former Soviet republic.  He had some good playoffs in him too.  

Make no mistake about it, Bobrovsky or Vasilevskiy will have the choker label stuck to them, whichever one loses this series.  Bobrovsky already has this label actually and is trying to shed it.  

3 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Never played an NHL game.  He's one of the best ever and I have no doubt he'd have a great NHL career if he was allowed to.    

I'm looking at Nabokov, Bryzgalov, Vasileveskiy, and Bobrovsky.  Vasilevskiy has the smallest sample size, but he didn't impress me in the Washington series last year in the clutch moments.  The other three players on this list are notorious playoff chokers.  These are the four best Russian goalies in the league over the last 15 years.  Nabokov is from Kazakhstan but chose to represent Russia for most of his international career. 

The other guy who should be noted is Varlamov.  While he wasn't a great goalie, remember his meltdown against Pittsburgh in game 7 in 2009.  He had a good run for a while but that was a stain on his career.    

The only Russian goalie with success in the playoffs would be Khabibulin.  That was based off one long playoff run, though.  The Coyotes teams were never that well rounded but that Tampa team in 2004 was strong.  They won the Cup.  Irbe wasn't Russian but close enough as Latvia is a former Soviet republic.  He had some good playoffs in him too.  

Make no mistake about it, Bobrovsky or Vasilevskiy will have the choker label stuck to them, whichever one loses this series.  Bobrovsky already has this label actually and is trying to shed it.  

The Olympics are essentially a shortened season and playoffs. Wasnt Tretiak pulled for poor play in '80?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The Olympics are essentially a shortened season and playoffs. Wasnt Tretiak pulled for poor play in '80?

He was pulled in the Miracle on Ice game when the score was 2-2.  Terrible coaching by Tikhonov.  Totally overreacted.  Tretiak was the best goalie in the world in his prime.  The Russians win that game if he stays in the net.

7 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Remember when the Wings signed Nabokov for league minimum for the playoffs and NYI stole him off re-entry waivers? That was s***ty.

27 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Remember when the Wings signed Nabokov for league minimum for the playoffs and NYI stole him off re-entry waivers? That was s***ty.

Oh yeah.  I forgot all about that, TBH.  It's stuck in my memory somewhere with the Legwand, Cole, and Zidlicky cameos.  

5 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Oh yeah.  I forgot all about that, TBH.  It's stuck in my memory somewhere with the Legwand, Cole, and Zidlicky cameos.  

Yeah, but Nabokov was actually a good signing that cost next to nothing. He just had to clear waivers, but it was a long shot. Even if a team didn't need a goalie, no one wanted Detroit loading up in goal. I remember him being pissed about that and he refused to report to NYI. He signed for next to nothing to play with a contender and try to win a Cup, not to help a s***ty team out.

3-0. Duchene has a goal and two assists (the only assists on the first two goals) and the game isn't even halfway over yet.

Matt Duchene leading the Blue Jackets to a clean sweep of this Lightning team would be infinite chef kiss.

6 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Do you think cooper gets the axe if they get knocked out first round

I think it's possible. The Bolts have been knocking on the door for years and now they have probably the best team in franchise history. If they get bounced early, someone's probably gonna have to pay the price.

Edited by Dabura

Obviously this series is far from over, but this seems to happen quite often. Whenever a team coasts through the regular season facing zero adversity, so foten as soon as the playoffs come around, its like they aren't prepared to "battle" so to speak.  

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

3-0. Duchene has a goal and two assists (the only assists on the first two goals) and the game isn't even halfway over yet.

Matt Duchene leading the Blue Jackets to a clean sweep of this Lightning team would be infinite chef kiss.

I think it's possible. The Bolts have been knocking on the door for years and now they have probably the best team in franchise history. If they get bounced early, someone's probably gonna have to pay the price.

Fire Yzerman