• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

TB vs CBJ - Series Thread

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, Dabura said:

So he's Brayden Point-less. Thought that he was supposed to be the best player out of his draft year.

13 hours ago, kipwinger said:

It's always fun for me to watch LGW members talk MAD SH*T about NHL "parity" during the regular season and then be overjoyed when a wildcard team jumps out to a series lead against a top seeded team.  There's a handful of members on this thread that fall into that category.  Maybe Gary Bettman actually knows something after all?

I think you're trying to infer that some of us are hypocrites? Not really. I think of it like March Madness. Everyone likes to root for the underdogs. The 12 seed beating the 5, the occasional 15 upsetting a 2. It's cute. But in the end, its a powerhouse who wins it all. Teams like Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc continue to be the best teams year after year. No parity there. And I am ok with that. Wanna be a "blue blood"? Build ur team up and join them. Dont expect the NCAA to do it for you. I wish the NHL went back to that.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Shoulda got 2.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:31 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think you're trying to infer that some of us are hypocrites? Not really. I think of it like March Madness. Everyone likes to root for the underdogs. The 12 seed beating the 5, the occasional 15 upsetting a 2. It's cute. But in the end, its a powerhouse who wins it all. Teams like Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc continue to be the best teams year after year. No parity there. And I am ok with that. Wanna be a "blue blood"? Build ur team up and join them. Dont expect the NCAA to do it for you. I wish the NHL went back to that.

No, I'm suggesting that there's a significant cognitive dissonance factor in bitching endlessly about parity and then reveling in the effects of it later on. 

Also, super teams suck and make sports boring.  Nobody wants to see Tom Brady and the Patriots win year after year after year.  The only people that do are Patriots fans, and winning so much has made them insufferable pricks, so how's that any fun?

Also, also, the salary cap hasn't diminished the capacity of good organizations to rise to the top it's accentuated the need for it.  Used to be your s***ty organization could compete just by poaching talent from poorer teams.  Now you actually have to scout, draft, develop, and manage to win.  How's that not better?

22 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

No, I'm suggesting that there's a significant cognitive dissonance factor in bitching endlessly about parity and then reveling in the effects of it later on. 

Also, super teams suck and make sports boring.  Nobody wants to see Tom Brady and the Patriots win year after year after year.  The only people that do are Patriots fans, and winning so much has made them insufferable pricks, so how's that any fun?

Also, also, the salary cap hasn't diminished the capacity of good organizations to rise to the top it's accentuated the need for it.  Used to be your s***ty organization could compete just by poaching talent from poorer teams.  Now you actually have to scout, draft, develop, and manage to win.  How's that not better?

I guess I didn't realize there were folks "bitching endlessly about parity" but I'll take your word for it.

If what you describe is the case, I don't think its hypocritical at all. Of course parity sucks to a Red Wings fan. We were a top team and now we're not. At the same time I can enjoy the very same effects of "parity" on teams like the Leafs/Penguins/Tampa. Doesn't mean I love parity, just means I hate those teams.

I genuinely enjoy the current system for the most part. I'm also nostalgic of the older crappier system that we succeeded under, because we succeeded under it. Doesn't mean I hate the current system, just means I like winning. Ends justify the means blah blah blah.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I guess I didn't realize there were folks "bitching endlessly about parity" but I'll take your word for it.

If what you describe is the case, I don't think its hypocritical at all. Of course parity sucks to a Red Wings fan. We were a top team and now we're not. At the same time I can enjoy the very same effects of "parity" on teams like the Leafs/Penguins/Tampa. Doesn't mean I love parity, just means I hate those teams.

I genuinely enjoy the current system for the most part. I'm also nostalgic of the older crappier system that we succeeded under, because we succeeded under it. Doesn't mean I hate the current system, just means I like winning. Ends justify the means blah blah blah.

You're an outlier and you probably know it. 

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

It's awesome that we get to see lower seeds beat up on higher seeds. This never used to happen before. As a Wings fan, I know this to be true.

Keep up the good work, Officer. I rest easy at night knowing you're always on duty.

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

You're an outlier and you probably know it. 

You hear that, CRL? You're one of The Good Ones. Blessed be The Good Ones, who are not among the unwashed masses.

Speaking of past Wings teams...man does this Lightning team reminds me of some of them. Everything's come easy for them this season and it shows. The Jackets had been fighting tooth and nail just to get into the playoffs and that hunger and tenacity has carried over into this series. They're outworking the Lightning. They're outplaying them.

Hats off to the Jackets, man. Hats off to Tortorella. Though, they haven't won anything yet and I'm sure they know that.

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

It's awesome that we get to see lower seeds beat up on higher seeds. This never used to happen before. As a Wings fan, I know this to be true.

Keep up the good work, Officer. I rest easy at night knowing you're always on duty.

You hear that, CRL? You're one of The Good Ones. Blessed be The Good Ones, who are not among the unwashed masses.

I know.  It is awesome.  That's my point.  Maybe everyone can stop bitching about parity now since it's actually pretty cool. 

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

I know.  It is awesome.  That's my point.  Maybe everyone can stop bitching about parity now since it's actually pretty cool. 

Maybe you can stop bitching about people bitching.

Maybe you can stop strawmanning.

Maybe if you're going to play the "People are loving how this lower-seeded team is beating up on this higher seeded-team. Bet you all feel pretty stupid for complaining about parity now, dontcha?" card, we can reminisce about all of the times a lower-seeded team beat up on a higher-seeded team in the pre-parity NHL.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Maybe you can stop bitching about people bitching.

Maybe you can stop strawmanning.

Maybe if you're going to play the "People are loving how this lower-seeded team is beating up on this higher seeded-team. Bet you all feel pretty stupid for complaining about parity now, dontcha?" card, we can reminisce about all of the times a lower-seeded team beat up on a higher-seeded team in the pre-parity NHL.

Lol, who's strawmanning now?  I've never suggested upsets didn't happen in the past.  I'm suggesting that maybe a league that openly prioritized making more competitive teams and more compelling playoff matchups (like the one playing out right now) got it right.  Everyone seems to love it.  Except when there's need to call Gary Bettman names, at which point we revert back to this "false parity" narrative (that we all secretly like). 

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Lol, who's strawmanning now?  I've never suggested upsets didn't happen in the past.  I'm suggesting that maybe a league that openly prioritized making more competitive teams and more compelling playoff matchups (like the one playing out right now) got it right.  Everyone seems to love it.  Except when there's need to call Gary Bettman names, at which point we revert back to this "false parity" narrative (that we all secretly like). 

I dont. We were a powerhouse under the old system. You could reload while being competitive under the old system. This organization hasnt benefitted at all because of "Parity". It really only benefits the lower level franchises. The Wings werent one of those. Now theyre forced to bottom out to benefit weaker franchises. I dont like it. And I dont have to. If you wanna like it, go ahead. You arent the only one. But the rest of us dont have to and we can enjoy upsets now just as much as we did before there was parity. When they were actually upsets. Not the watered down league we have now.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

This was your entrance into this thread:

On 4/13/2019 at 2:25 AM, kipwinger said:

It's always fun for me to watch LGW members talk MAD SH*T about NHL "parity" during the regular season and then be overjoyed when a wildcard team jumps out to a series lead against a top seeded team.  There's a handful of members on this thread that fall into that category.  Maybe Gary Bettman actually knows something after all?

So, you see people celebrating a lower-seeded team beating up on a higher-seeded team and you decide the best move here is to talk s*** on people because they dislike aspects of The Parity Plan. "Oh boy, Jackets are up 2-0 on the Lightning, better point out how stupid people are for knocking parity." The implication being that what we're seeing in this series is what parity is all about and that we should be grateful that we live in a time when this kind of miracle can happen. That knocking aspects of The Parity Plan while cheering on the Jackets is somehow necessarily cognitive dissonance.

I'd give you the benefit of the doubt here and say "Parity is pretty cool" is a discussion worth having in another thread, but, like I've said, I've grown tired of your shtick. Kip vs the unwashes masses. People talking about Jarnkrok? Kip is here to tell you you're all petulant children for pissing and moaning about Jarnkrok, even though no one in the thread is actually pissing and moaning about Jarnkrok.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:57 AM, kipwinger said:

Only on LGW could people ***** about Helm, Abby, Glendening, and Nielsen and openly pine for Calle Jarnkrok.  Lol.  That dude sucks.  He's never scored more than 16 goals in the NHL on a playoff caliber team.  In retrospect losing Patrick Eaves in the same trade was a MUCH bigger loss, yet somehow people think Jarnkrok is some devastating f*ck up by Holland.  You're all a bunch of petulant children.

Please, keep telling people how to fan. Keep telling people what petulant children they are.

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I dont. We were a powerhouse under the old system. You could reload while being competitive under the old system. This organization hasnt benefitted at all because of "Parity". It really only benefits the lower level franchises. The Wings werent one of those. Now theyre forced to bottom out to benefit weaker franchises. I dont like it. And I dont have to. If you wanna like it, go ahead. You arent the only one. But the rest of us dont have to and we can enjoy upsets now just as much as we did before there was parity. When they were actually upsets. Not the watered down league we have now.

Wait, are you suggesting that the Wings' 25 year dominance was systemic?  Sure sounds like it.  But that goes against your whole "the best organizations should be the best" story.  Now it sounds like you're saying you're all for a system which props up teams so long as YOUR team is the one getting the advantage. 

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

This was your entrance into this thread:

So, you see people celebrating a lower-seeded team beating up on a higher-seeded team and you decide the best move here is to talk s*** on people because they dislike aspects of The Parity Plan. "Oh boy, Jackets are up 2-0 on the Lightning, better point out how stupid people are for knocking parity." The implication being that what we're seeing in this series is what parity is all about and that we should be grateful that we live in a time when this kind of miracle can happen. That knocking aspects of The Parity Plan while cheering on the Jackets is somehow necessarily cognitive dissonance.

I'd give you the benefit of the doubt here and say "Parity is pretty cool" is a discussion worth having in another thread, but, like I've said, I've grown tired of your shtick. Kip vs the unwashes masses. People talking about Jarnkrok? Kip is here to tell you you're all petulant children for pissing and moaning about Jarnkrok, even though no one in the thread is actually pissing and moaning about Jarnkrok.

Please, keep telling people how to fan. Keep telling people what petulant children they are.

Technically I'm not knocking people for disliking parity, I'm knocking them for liking it and being too stupid to realize it.  But I wouldn't expect a plebe like you to realize that ;-)

28 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Technically I'm not knocking people for disliking parity, I'm knocking them for liking it and being too stupid to realize it.

Then you're talking about "parity" in the "I want a league in which 'vastly inferior' teams can crush 'vastly superior' teams" sense. Which is something we had prior to the cap. People accused the Wings of buying Cups, and in at least one case that was a fair accusation (2002), but the Wings also experienced a ton of postseason heartbreaks, often at the hands of plucky underdog teams. There's some decent symmetry between what's happening to this historically good Lightning team and what happened to the historically good 1995-96 Wings team.

To which one could say the problem back then was that you had a small group of organizations like the Wings who basically dominated the league and it was all just money-driven and not rooted in good things like smarts and creativity and calculated risk-taking. To which I'd say that hasn't changed all that much (if at all). Chicago won three Cups. LA won a couple of Cups. The Pens have won three Cups. The Lightning have been a pretty good team for a pretty long while now. The Caps are almost always in the playoff mix. The Sharks are almost always in the playoff mix. The Oilers are consistently garbage. The Blues still haven't won a Cup. The Preds have made the finals once.

I think "parity" is largely illusory. (Three-point games.) I think the system that's been put in place is brilliant, but not necessarily because it creates a truly level playing field that's bringing out the best in hockey (I'm not sure it does).

Edited by Dabura

Was it supposed to make bad teams into good ones?  That seems to be the line the anti-parity people take.  Or was it designed to make the difference between bad and good smaller?  Which wouldn't really upset the order of things but would make for more entertaining games and more compelling matchups?  Because the latter might explain why there are still powerhouse teams, but the entire hockey world is currently talking about a series being played between a team from Tampa Bay and a team from Columbus.  30 years ago a series between these two teams would be an afterthought.  Today it's the best story of the playoffs (so far).