• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

NYI vs PIT - Series Thread

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

The Islanders have owned the Penguins in their playoff history.  From the 3-0 comeback in 1975, to squeaking out a series against a much inferior Pens team in 1982, to upsetting an awesome Penguins team in 1993.  

I remember watching that series as a kid, I was absolutely shocked. In '91, '92, and '93 after the Wings were eliminated I started following the Pens,  so up to that point I had never seen the Pens beaten and I viewed them as invincible.  

9 hours ago, F.Michael said:

25 seconds away from upset #2 this evening.

Most people are calling it a huge upset, but that just goes to show how little respect the NYI have been given.  They were the higher seed coming into the series, why is it an upset that they win?  Because of some of the names on the team they were playing against?  I think the reason most think it was an upset is because a lot felt PIT just coasted through the regular season and would flip the switch come playoffs...didn't happen.  I think it's a shocker that they were swept, but not surprised NYI won, could have gone either way in my mind.  The huge upset was TB....might be historical.

2 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Most people are calling it a huge upset, but that just goes to show how little respect the NYI have been given.  They were the higher seed coming into the series, why is it an upset that they win?  Because of some of the names on the team they were playing against?  I think the reason most think it was an upset is because a lot felt PIT just coasted through the regular season and would flip the switch come playoffs...didn't happen.  I think it's a shocker that they were swept, but not surprised NYI won, could have gone either way in my mind.  The huge upset was TB....might be historical.

You are correct...I picked the Isles in 7 games...While they are the higher seed - I was surprised to see them sweep the Pens...Someone here mentioned how today's Pens might be our version circa 2010...

9 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Neither has anyone on the Wings.

Daley did with the Pens, no? 

8 hours ago, kliq said:

I remember watching that series as a kid, I was absolutely shocked. In '91, '92, and '93 after the Wings were eliminated I started following the Pens,  so up to that point I had never seen the Pens beaten and I viewed them as invincible.  

Pretty sure 1993 was the year the Leafs beat the Wings in 7 games in OT in Round 1. Tim Cheveldae era. 1994 was SJ beating them in 7 after Ozzie left the net to play the puck and passed it right to to Baker for the easy one. Bad times, bad times.

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Fixed. Wasn't thinking about outsiders.

Who is left? Kronwall, Ericsson, Helm (rookie), Howard and Abby were on the playoff roster but didn't play. Doesnt seem THAT long ago. But tis.

2 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

Because the Islanders haven't been relevant since the mid 1980's.  

9 hours ago, kliq said:

David Volek ruined the entire playoffs that season.  Could have been a Gretzky vs. Lemieux final potentially.  

Just now, GMRwings1983 said:

David Volek ruined the entire playoffs that season.  Could have been a Gretzky vs. Lemieux final potentially.  

Instead it was the last time a Canadian team has won the cup. Vive Les Habitants

3 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

For me, it's the way the Pens went out. I had the Pens winning in six games, but I did feel like the series was up for grabs. I figured the Pens would at least take a couple of games. I figured Crosby and Malkin would be bigger factors.

There's also the whole "Back in October, we all knew this Isles team was going to sweep the Penguins in the first round" component.

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Mainstream wise that would have been bigger, no doubt. But being a kid in Windsor in 1993 where you were either a Wings fan, Leafs fan or Habs fan, having the Canadians beat Gretzky for the cup seemed epic at the time.

5 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

Well said. The Pens aren't the team they were even two years ago when they won the second of back to back Cups. Sheary, Kunitz, Bonino, Cole, S. Wilson, Hainsey, Daley, Fleury have all moved on. Mostly supporting players, but they all contributed. Fleury basically split the games with Murray 15-11. They don't have that luxury anymore. 

Lehner really surprised me in goal for NYI. He battled hard. Hopefully he can keep that level of play up.